Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Alhazred posted:

I have an irrationall irritating movie moment about the Northman:In the movie the main character have to get a magical sword from a burial mound when he gets to Iceland. This mound is from the vendel period. But during that period no one lived on Iceland, it got populated during the viking period. The movie even correctly states that this happened because people fled from king Harald Fairhair to Iceland.
It's all explained in the 13th Warrior.

Edit: sniped like Buliwyf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Zero_Grade posted:

Beginning of Spider-Man 2 (Raimi version): Those pizzas would have been a loving mess even if they weren't late.

In the video game pizza missions the pizza gets more hosed up the more flips and poo poo you do so you have to find a balance between your speed and recklessness toward the pizza.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Alhazred posted:

I have an irrationall irritating movie moment about the Northman:In the movie the main character have to get a magical sword from a burial mound when he gets to Iceland. This mound is from the vendel period. But during that period no one lived on Iceland, it got populated during the viking period. The movie even correctly states that this happened because people fled from king Harald Fairhair to Iceland.

Actually according to recent archeological studies it's possible that Iceland was settled up to 200 years earlier than the official date of 874 given by The Book of Settlement.

Javik the Seer
Oct 11, 2021
Avatar The Way of Water: I thought this movie was actually pretty good and I actually appreciated the somewhat ham handed way it handles loving colonizers. BUT I still had trouble with a few parts:

The Final Battle: The biggest obvious one for me is where the hell did the sea people go at the final battle? They had the stuff going down and there was definitely some chaos, but the sea people and Sully's fam fuckin won that. Why aren't they all there looting and rescuing folks? Only the chieftains daughter is there, and he doesn't come looking for her? That entire scene should have been over, once the ship itself started sinking since the sea people would absolutely have swarmed it but they had to make room for Bad Stuff to happen and more Tension which really just kinda lost it for me a little bit. Just making them all leave at the drop of a hat kinda seemed silly when the movie had done such a good job accounting for stuff like that, especially when showing the initial guerilla attack on the maglev.

The Marines: Someone I think mentioned it above, but yeah, how they just automatically riding these fliers like that? It was very difficult for Jake and he had a ton of help. These guys just kinda go and do it nbd. Silly. But more so is just how downright evil they are. Quaritch and some of the original crew I kind of get, they have a stupid, but personal vendetta against Sully. But literally every marine they have in an avatar body is willing to torture and murder children to get after one guy? You don't think they had any "are we the baddies" moments when they were put up to stuff like that? Theres hardly any resistance to it either, no one questions Quaritch, they just do what he says like they are some kind of automatons which really breaks the story telling around humanities struggles with colonization. Also lol that everyone in the command center is just A-OK with the General of the World torturing a 14 year old or whatever.

Also they seem to have an endless supply of these avatars too, Sully and Neytiri kill like 30 of them and they are still somehow around.

Norm and co: So they I guess can just fly out to the Sea clan and then back at the drop of a hat, no problem, no foul? Like its routine? Seemed really weird and jarring.

This is also hard when juxtaposed against the original script of Avatar 1 which had the main conflict of the story be around humans actually wanting to stay on pandora and consistently sympathizing with the Na'vi rather than all being unilaterally evil colonizers that are Just Following Orders.

I'm still processing this excellent movie but those just really jumped out at me.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Marines committing warcrimes for basically fun is the most realistic part of the film.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Honestly if it were anymore realistic it'd just be two hours of Marines deciding if they want to eat the crayons or shove them up their noses first

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Biplane posted:

Marines committing warcrimes for basically fun is the most realistic part of the film.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
When Cameron was writing aliens he read a lot of stuff about Vietnam so yeah, it's not a huge surprise that "occupying military force commits horrific crimes on the local population for spurious or no reason" is a feature of any of his movies.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

Actually according to recent archeological studies it's possible that Iceland was settled up to 200 years earlier than the official date of 874 given by The Book of Settlement.

Googling it seems like those settlements still happened after the vendel period ended.

Javik the Seer
Oct 11, 2021

Fil5000 posted:

When Cameron was writing aliens he read a lot of stuff about Vietnam so yeah, it's not a huge surprise that "occupying military force commits horrific crimes on the local population for spurious or no reason" is a feature of any of his movies.

Oh well then ok then. It just felt out of place for me outside of that initial crew. I stand corrected.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Alhazred posted:

Googling it seems like those settlements still happened after the vendel period ended.

Yeah I'm actually camped in what I think was a settlement with buildings there, but there's a box with more info on it I just can't get to and I have a deadline approaching. I mean, I've got this structured settlement but I need that cache now.

Just not sure who to call about this.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Henchman of Santa posted:

In the video game pizza missions the pizza gets more hosed up the more flips and poo poo you do so you have to find a balance between your speed and recklessness toward the pizza.

clearly spidey should deliver fresh pizza dough thats kneaded from his webslinging.

I'm sure theres a few other foods that can use a good mixing, but i dont know them.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Henchman of Santa posted:

Haha that rules.

PhazonLink posted:

clearly spidey should deliver fresh pizza dough thats kneaded from his webslinging.
Spider-Man, Spider-Man
Doughs whatever a spider can
Spins a pie, any size
Fucks them up as he flies

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Can he whip
up a cream
yes he can
web-slinging

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Push El Burrito posted:

Yeah I'm actually camped in what I think was a settlement with buildings there, but there's a box with more info on it I just can't get to and I have a deadline approaching. I mean, I've got this structured settlement but I need that cache now.

Just not sure who to call about this.

It's important for me to know that you know that I hate you.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
In Emily the Criminal, Emily is implied to be 25-27 based on various details in the story. Aubrey Plaza is very much in her late 30s. I'm sure this is because she volunteered to star in the movie she was producing to make it more marketable but, c'mon, it's a 30-second rewrite that honestly would have made her plight even more compelling. Aside from that, good movie if you're interested in how a felony conviction can effectively shut someone out of a middle class lifestyle.

Also, in the final scene: she is a total sucker for offering US wages when trying to carry on the scam south of the border.

On the one hand, there's a scene that shows a bunch of food getting messed up because she has to carry an entire catering order up multiple flights of stairs. Realism!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

rydiafan posted:

It's important for me to know that you know that I hate you.

I know that you hate them, and now you know that I know that you hate them. Does that help?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

A little bit, yeah.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Alhazred posted:

If they happened 200 years before the official settlement date of 874 they happened smack down in the middle of the Vendel period.

Though as far I'm aware these early settlements were probably very sparse compared to the larger influx following Haralds conquest in the 9th century and may or may not have been primarily Celtic.

Also we're talking about a scene where our hero guided by Odin himself fights a barrow wight to earn a magical sword that can only be wielded at night in a film co-written by a surrealist poet and based as much on Conan the Barbarian as it is in Sagas.

I suspect the filmmakers might have been stretching history a bit for dramatic effect.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

Also we're talking about a scene where our hero guided by Odin himself fights a barrow wight to earn a magical sword that can only be wielded at night in a film co-written by a surrealist poet and based as much on Conan the Barbarian as it is in Sagas.

I suspect the filmmakers might have been stretching history a bit for dramatic effect.

That sounds loving rad

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

My wife was watching a show called “The Rookie” and it’s a good show but it’s in the fifth season so this guy isn’t rookie anymore.I mean what’s the deal

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Fil5000 posted:

I am actually reading some guy's Vietnam memoir right now and saw Avatar 2 yesterday and drat I was seeing parallels. The dude was just a 19 year old Billy Everyteen there in the worst part of the war, draftee Army private, just cannon fodder in every way. He describes being upset at some of the atrocities and things done to the Vietnamese but he and his fellow soldiers are always gung-ho to each other at all times except when it comes to officers making them do stupid poo poo.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

oldpainless posted:

My wife was watching a show called “The Rookie” and it’s a good show but it’s in the fifth season so this guy isn’t rookie anymore.I mean what’s the deal
Good* news, there's a spin-off about a middle-aged black woman joining the FBI

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Arrath posted:

That sounds loving rad

Yeah, Northman is good but not great. It's Eggers' weakest movie but I guess that's praising with faint damnation. I think that stuff all works better on paper than it does as a finished film.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah, Northman is good but not great. It's Eggers' weakest movie but I guess that's praising with faint damnation. I think that stuff all works better on paper than it does as a finished film.

At the very least, the village raid and the volcano duel are fantastic action scenes.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

I liked the weird supernatural-ish stuff in it, but I wish there was either waaay more of it, or none at all and it leaned into just a period drama. I kept wishing it would get weird and stay that way.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

If they happened 200 years before the official settlement date of 874 they happened smack down in the middle of the Vendel period.

Though as far I'm aware these early settlements were probably very sparse compared to the larger influx following Haralds conquest in the 9th century and may or may not have been primarily Celtic.

Good thing I didn't post in the rationally irritating movie moment thread then.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

oldpainless posted:

Guy seems a little old to be a rookie!

DyneAvenger
Aug 26, 2005

Bru-Tang Clan member:
Nose Face Killah
My IIMM for the Northman is that he gets a nerd-rear end haircut halfway into the movie and I gotta take this bowl cut motherfucker seriously on his quest for vengeance.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
In Plane when the Plane is going down our main character starts a timer for when the Plane is going to run out of power and tells his co-pilot to count down each minute remaining on the minute

and then the co-pilot, who is generally cool and collected all things considered, doesn't do it ONCE! Gerard Butler just keeps asking about the countdown and the guy is like "6 minutes 40 seconds" "3 minutes 20 seconds"

And then they have the audacity to make "one minute at a time" the movie's catchphrase that the characters say multiple times

This is an irrational movie moment because there's a good chance this was intentional given how the movie goes full B-Movie at times

But my truly irrational complaint is that the movie's title actually makes sense (they get back on the Plane and fly it away for the climax)

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Watching Fleishman Is in Trouble. The very first line of the series says that Toby has spent his entire life in New York City. In an episode 3 flashback he takes Rachel to meet his family...in Los Angeles.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Pulp Fiction is on TV right now, completely uncensored, h*ck yeah.
So really though, who leaves drugs in their jacket pocket? A true addict puts it in a sock or something. Amateur.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

I suppose jackets can also have watch pockets.

Plenty of pockets will perform in a pinch

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Tarantino doesn't like socks.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

The Mighty Moltres posted:

Pulp Fiction is on TV right now, completely uncensored, h*ck yeah.
So really though, who leaves drugs in their jacket pocket? A true addict puts it in a sock or something. Amateur.

Ah, but you forget that Vincent Vega is an idiot who leaves things everywhere, see him not taking his gun with him when he goes to the bathroom.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Also pretty sure he just started doing heroin after trying it during his recent trip to Europe.

Also pretty sure everything Tarantino knows about drugs, and most things in life, is from movies he's seen.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

dr_rat posted:

Also pretty sure everything Tarantino knows about drugs, and most things in life, is from movies he's seen.

I'm pretty sure he would gladly admit this.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Oh yeah, and it some how it works pretty drat well for for him, so certainly not a bad thing. Still I wouldn't trust him not to get very basic things wrong about how people actually live.

Like if it turned out he didn't know how to tie his shoe laces because he'd never seen it done in a movie, I'd just be, "yep, that sounds about right".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Tarantino has never pretended to make movies about real life. He makes movies about movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Hell, so would I. It's definitely not because I did tons of drugs. No sireeee. Clean as a sock here.