Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Comrade Koba posted:

lol, not even close

the general mood in op-eds these recent weeks have been that no matter how the ukraine conflict is resolved or what happens to putin, it is our legal and moral obligation to fight a forever war with russia until they balkanize and demilitarize forever.

there was a semi-famous cooking influencer here that got in the news a few weeks ago for using his patreon money to buy signed artillery shells for ukraine.

:waycool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Comrade Koba posted:

lol, not even close

the general mood in op-eds these recent weeks have been that no matter how the ukraine conflict is resolved or what happens to putin, it is our legal and moral obligation to fight a forever war with russia until they balkanize and demilitarize forever.

yeah. europeans are practically howling for a war to distract us from declining material conditions. I think the worse things get, the more eagerly we want war, to give it purpose and meaning.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Tankbuster posted:

What if he is Otto Skorzeny?

he should kill himself

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Zodium posted:

yeah. europeans are practically howling for a war to distract us from declining material conditions. I think the worse things get, the more eagerly we want war, to give it purpose and meaning.

lol yeah, and in a way we've even gone past the distraction part. current mode of reasoning seems to be to acknowledge that yes, the declining material conditions are real and extremely bad, but it is your patriotic duty to endure them without questioning, because to do otherwise would be treason against democracy and enabling putinist fascism.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
looks the Soledars been taken, now lets see how and if the russians will manage Bakhmut

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Here in the UK, nurses striking over repeated real-terms pay cuts have been called Putin enablers, and trades unions are portrayed in the press as basically taking orders from Moscow.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Mr. Xi. End this farce already.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I will give you one US dollar for it.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Al-Saqr posted:

looks the Soledars been taken, now lets see how and if the russians will manage Bakhmut

you messed up, im sure you meant to say

quote:

looks like russia finally bungled their way to a victory in soledar, let's see how many months they stall and lose all momentum before they throw lives at attempting to take bakhmut

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Frosted Flake posted:

Beforeigners

season 1 is pretty funny and occasionally clever, but they run out of ideas in season 2 and start leaning more heavily on the time travel stuff and that makes it much worse

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Al-Saqr posted:

Who Soledares Wins

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Comrade Koba posted:

lol yeah, and in a way we've even gone past the distraction part. current mode of reasoning seems to be to acknowledge that yes, the declining material conditions are real and extremely bad, but it is your patriotic duty to endure them without questioning, because to do otherwise would be treason against democracy and enabling putinist fascism.

the prime minister of norway has been rejecting the idea that the government of a country has its first duty to the citizens of that country. there's a war on! today, the former editor and main political commentator of a news paper started by maoists called the class struggle said that the Red party's line about how it is problematic to contribute to a NATO proxy war and that this justifies not sending arms implies that the party cannot be in favour of a military defence of norway so long as the country is in NATO

it's a very weird situation to be in and the war is making everyone very stupid

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

V. Illych L. posted:

the prime minister of norway has been rejecting the idea that the government of a country has its first duty to the citizens of that country. there's a war on! today, the former editor and main political commentator of a news paper started by maoists called the class struggle said that the Red party's line about how it is problematic to contribute to a NATO proxy war and that this justifies not sending arms implies that the party cannot be in favour of a military defence of norway so long as the country is in NATO

it's a very weird situation to be in and the war is making everyone very stupid

:nsa:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I'm stupid as gently caress.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

it reaches the point where i have to pause and think through things because people whom i have previously respected get themselves to say things which seem completely inane to me without anyone reacting. at this point, either i'm actually going crazy or there's something quite bizarre going on

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

There's probably a Ukrainian and Russian soldier somewhere taking a break to talk about their waifus right now.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Frosted Flake posted:

So much here explains events since 2014 I'm frustrated that nobody has written about it much yet. One thing I will say, it does make the election of Zelensky almost incomprehensible as well as the "Big Israel" comments, since Ukrainian nationalism considers war against Jews as one in the same as war against the "Imperial" powers: Austria, Poland, the USSR, and the Russian Federation, that they associate with protecting Jews, and of course oppressing themselves, in the province.

What you might be missing here is that Galicia is still not Ukraine, and people outside of Galicia have, or had, different ideas.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

V. Illych L. posted:

it reaches the point where i have to pause and think through things because people whom i have previously respected get themselves to say things which seem completely inane to me without anyone reacting. at this point, either i'm actually going crazy or there's something quite bizarre going on

The post-90s period was just a pause until eventually the wheels would come back in motion. America's political economy is simply too unstable to lead to a longer period of peace, and eventually the world would come back to the geopolitics of old.

I think the tricky part is that Europeans and many Western leftists thought they were "above the fray" when clearly they were as tied to the American imperium as much of the rest of the world. In addition, there have always been far leftists who seemed always oddly protective of the structure of the American state.

Ukraine is a necessary win for the United States to re-establish complete dominance of not only Europe but to corner Russia and eventually lead to containment strategy versus China. Without victory in Ukraine, the US is in genuinely a tricky position.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 12:36 on Jan 17, 2023

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

There's probably a Ukrainian and Russian soldier somewhere taking a break to talk about their waifus right now.

I hope to live long enough to see a peace process break down because one side will be Asuka chads while the other is full of Rei virgins

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Comrade Koba posted:

War as justification for declining material conditions caused by neoliberalism.

V. Illych L. posted:

It's not you. We are in a period comparable to the immediate 9/11 aftermath in how many people have just completely lost their loving minds.

What gets me the hardest is people who you would have expected to understand ideology and class to also go completely off the rails. Like say, Zizek.

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 12:37 on Jan 17, 2023

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

is there even anything left standing in that whole area?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Orange Devil posted:

It's not you. We are in a period comparable to the immediate 9/11 aftermath in how many people have just completely lost their loving minds.

Things are slipping quickly, and I think more than simply rage...this is really down to control. The West is losing it, and even very reasonable people will support anything to keep it together.

This why this war isn't really about Russian revanchism, Galician neo-fascism, or protecting Europe from invasion, it is about that critical pawn on the chessboard that would flip the game.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Ardennes posted:

Things are slipping quickly, and I think more than simply rage...this is really down to control. The West is losing it, and even very reasonable people will support anything to keep it together.

This why this war isn't really about Russian revanchism, Galician neo-fascism, or protecting Europe from invasion, it is about that critical pawn on the chessboard that would flip the game.

that's right

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Orange Devil posted:

War as justification for declining material conditions caused by neoliberalism.

What gets me the hardest is people who you would have expected to understand ideology and class to also go completely off the rails. Like say, Zizek.

Yeah, except I'm not surprised about Zizek.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

genericnick posted:

here’s a fairly long article about this that just came out: https://www.counterpunch.org/2023/01/02/capitalisms-court-jester-slavoj-zizek/

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
otoh that article contains this line which...idk

quote:

Not unlike Elvis, who notoriously rose to fame in the music industry by appropriating, domesticating, and mainstreaming music from Black communities that was often rooted in very real struggles, Žižek became a front man in the global theory industry by borrowing his most important insights from the Marxist tradition but subjecting them to a playful postmodern cultural mash-up to crush their substance, thereby commodifying them for mass consumption in the neoliberal era of anti-communist revanchism

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
tennis drama in Australia https://www.yahoo.com/now/russia-belarus-flags-banned-australian-004556074.html

Russia and Belarus flags banned at Australian Open after Ukraine protest

quote:

Mon, January 16, 2023 at 9:20 PM PST

Tennis Australia on Tuesday banned Russian and Belarusian flags at the Australian Open after Ukraine's ambassador demanded action when they were seen among the crowd.

The red, white and blue stripes of Russia were held up by fans Monday during a first-round clash between Ukraine's Kateryna Baindl and Russia's Kamilla Rakhimova on day one.

Ukrainian fans reportedly called security and police to the stands.

A Russian flag was also unfurled on Rod Laver Arena during Daniil Medvedev's clash with American Marcos Giron.

"Flags from Russia and Belarus are banned onsite at the Australian Open," Tennis Australia said in a statement.

"Our initial policy was that fans could bring them in but could not use them to cause disruption. Yesterday, we had an incident where a flag was placed courtside.

"The ban is effective immediately. We will continue to work with the players and our fans to ensure the best possible environment to enjoy the tennis."

Since the invasion of Ukraine, Russian and Belarusian players have normally competed under a neutral white flag as independents, as is the case at the Australian Open.

Ukraine's ambassador to Australia and New Zealand, Vasyl Myroshnychenko, late Monday called on Tennis Australia to take action.

"I strongly condemn the public display of the Russian flag during the game of the Ukrainian tennis player Kateryna Baindl at the Australian Open," he tweeted.

"I call on Tennis Australia to immediately enforce its 'neutral flag' policy."

Myroshnychenko last week urged the Australian Open to ban Russian and Belarusian players entirely -- the latter due to Belarus' support of Vladimir Putin's war.

Wimbledon went down that route last year, with players from the two countries barred, which led to the tournament being stripped of its ranking points by the ATP and WTA.

Former Australian ambassador to Ukraine Doug Trappett, who served in the role from 2015 to 2016, also hit out at Australian Open organisers.

"Embarrassing @AustralianOpen -– and it's only day one," he tweeted.

"You could have banned Russian players and positioned yourself to give a robust response to such predictable incidents but you chose spinelessness."

- Unsafe -

Baindl won her match 7-5, 6-7, (8/10), 6-1 and will face American Caty McNally in the second round.

Ukrainian-Australian fan Maria Tumarkin told the Melbourne Age newspaper she was the one who called security, claiming Russian fans were heckling Baindl.

"This is profoundly unsafe, the war is ongoing," she said. "It's a small court, the guys were extremely close to the players, so there was an element of what I felt was intimidation."

Belarusian world number five Aryna Sabalenka said she had no objection to Tennis Australia's flag ban "if everyone feels better this way" but felt that sport "is nothing to do with politics".

"I have zero control on it. What can I say? They did it, okay, no flags," added Sabalenka, who was among the players affected by the Wimbledon ban last year.

Asked if she could understand how some Ukrainian fans could be upset by seeing Russian or Belarusian flags, she replied: "I'm pretty sure they (are) upset about that, and, if Tennis Australia made this decision to make them feel better, okay."

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
marxist appropriation

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Ardennes posted:

Great ep of my favourite Canadian podcast about that

Liberalism is out of gas, and in Canada the “far right” is going to sweep into power because they are the only ones even talking about doing something different.

The media is straight up telling people food being expensive is good because it fights obesity and fasting helps with mindfulness. The consent manufacturing machine around The End of History ratchets up with every failure and it’s leading to insane levels of resentment, which in the absence of an alternative vision of society or economy, led to the Truckers.

The NDP, demoralized from the 90’s or something, has decided that propping this up, rather than challenging it, amounts to moral good and so has become sidelined during a crisis of capitalism.

So, Canada is unravelling but the Edmonton Police are throwing the book at a journalist who is accused of defacing a Nazi monument and the media is both sidesing the Holocaust in order to defend Ukrainian nationalism lol.

Anyways, solid ep, “Apologies for the late episode - both Dan and Riley have been on tour, but we've got this one for you (recorded a while back). Contained herein: ideas for new recipes, Nazi statue watch, and the Tory leader "uniting the country" with a very thin gruel of vibes alone.”

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 13:05 on Jan 17, 2023

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

genericnick posted:

I always thought post-structuralism including Lacan was always about distracting people from the very clear vertical structures of power in the West and there was a reason it was always promoted by academics who lived in fairly comfortable material circumstances.

Zizek more than most danced the line a bit by hanging pictures of Stalin in his place or giving some praise to the material achievements of the PRC...but when push came to shove it is obvious he would choose one side. That said, big names in Western academia don't get that way by accident, and you got to play the game if you want your boat.

A Bakers Cousin posted:

otoh that article contains this line which...idk

To be fair to Elvis, I think he was always pretty upfront with what he was doing while Zizek always did a little more mugging. It isn't the best comparison but I could see that Zizek was always a bit of a fraud, entertaining no doubt, but his analysis especially from the historical side really felt thin. I wouldn't even say he didn't have nothing to say either but he wouldn't contest the end of history.

Anyone remember Mark Blyth?

Frosted Flake posted:

Great ep of my favourite Canadian podcast about that

Liberalism is out of gas, and in Canada the “far right” is going to sweep into power because they are the only ones even talking about doing something different.

The media is straight up telling people food being expensive is good because it fights obesity and fasting helps with mindfulness. The consent manufacturing machine around The End of History ratchets up with every failure and it’s leading to insane levels of resentment, which in the absence of an alternative vision of society or economy, led to the Truckers.

The NDP, demoralized from the 90’s or something, has decided that propping this up, rather than challenging it, amounts to moral good and so has become sidelined during a crisis of capitalism.

So, Canada is unravelling but the Edmonton Police are throwing the book at a journalist who is accused of defacing a Nazi monument and the media is both sidesing the Holocaust in order to defend Ukrainian nationalism lol.

Anyways, solid ep, “Apologies for the late episode - both Dan and Riley have been on tour, but we've got this one for you (recorded a while back). Contained herein: ideas for new recipes, Nazi statue watch, and the Tory leader "uniting the country" with a very thin gruel of vibes alone.”

Yeah, part of that is just the way of things in the West at the moment, but also I think just that specifically Alberta as a province never fully fit in the Confederation even as so much Quebec. The NDP at their core though are very much still reformist liberals, it is just their turn was perhaps a bit slower than the left-liberalism than the US but really they got their rise very much in the New Deal area and today get by with the Bernie-charade.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 13:12 on Jan 17, 2023

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
as is the case with most upper middle class intellectuals zizek knows better than to actually bite the hand that feeds, regrettable but not surprising

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Cerebral Bore posted:

as is the case with most upper middle class intellectuals zizek knows better than to actually bite the hand that feeds, regrettable but not surprising
hes got an extraordinary need for feed tbf

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title
Arestovich resigned.

Lol, lmao

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Ukraine is literally collapsing in front of your eyes. Never has this been witnessed.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Organ Fiend posted:

Arestovich resigned.

Lol, lmao

lmao

speng31b
May 8, 2010

lol it's because of what he said about the rocket isn't it

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Lockhimupovich

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I have information leading to the Arestovich of Hillary Clinton

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

this is mostly good but then it has pearls like "Žižek was the party’s candidate for the four-person presidency of the earliest break-away republic, which served as a wedge for dismantling the SFRY."

the tragedy of SFRJ's end is probably second only to that of USSR's, but SFRJ was super fuckin dead by that time due to dumb nationalisms forming in its republics. slovenia not leaving wouldn't have done poo poo except maybe lead to even more infighting/death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

gradenko_2000 posted:

I have information leading to the Arestovich of Hillary Clinton