Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 10:
It would be the most Shodai of Shodai to finish this basho at 9-6 lmfao

Keisho already showing off the most versatility I've seen in recent memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Day 10: Abi defeats Ryūden, I think I am pleased with that outcome.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Day 10: Wakatakakage looking like poo poo this basho. Granted he could sweep the last 5 days but looking at his bouts so far I think the rest are going to be against sanyaku dudes so it's definitely looking like MK is a possibility.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Day 10:
Tamawashi.

SHODAI.

Mitakeumi :unsmith:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Day 10:

OK Takarafuji, when you get henka'd twice, that's kind of on you lol

Lid posted:

lol if you get mad over a henka

Correction: I get mad over a Chiyoshoma henka :eng101:

Who here isn't allowed one irrational dislike, I ask you :colbert:

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

some kinda jackal posted:

Day 10:

OK Takarafuji, when you get henka'd twice, that's kind of on you lol

Just stand up at the tachiai and lean forward a bit like hokuseiho, what could go wrong?

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

ratmosphere posted:

It depends. If you have a runner-up on your team then you're gonna root against him, hoping that you won't need to share your macaron with everyone else.

I have Kotoshoho too and I'm still rooting for Taka because Yokozuna are cool.

Mode 7 posted:

"Why go kyujo in the first place if you only need one day?"

You go kyujo for a day to avoid aggravating it and needing several months, but I get that's antithetical to sumo culture.

As long as he's smart about it and it could be ok. Like go in, try a henka or another quick win but pull a Shodai and bail at the first sign of resistance should be fine.

Not sure how it'll work now with the S/K logjam, but traditionally 7 at Sekiwake drops to Komsubi and 6 goes to M so he's got a pretty big incentive to try and steal one win (maybe 2 if he can get an easy one) to keep sanyaku before fully dropping.

But if they consider K2 a semi-permanent rank now to make up for the lack of Ozeki, he might already be safe...

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Decided to stream of thought comments on the last half of the upper division today.

So, Day 10:
I guess it's a running gag this basho for everyone to henka poor Takarafuji. They've been really classy, well-executed henkas, but I think maybe he's getting a little tired of it.
Oho looks just plain uncomfortable out there. Kid needs either more muscle or more fat, he's being pushed around and doesn't have the strength or bulk to resist.
Poor Ura. I was sure he had a leg throw but he just got bounced off Kotoshoho. Still, two good fights from one matchup is a fun thing to see.
Really great bulldog sumo from Hokutofuji today. There is aboslutely no backstep in that man and he managed to keep close enough to Aoiyama there was no chance at a slapdown. Very well done.
Chiyomaru :( It was a delight to see you in Makuuchi again, please come back soon. No I wouldn't trade him even if I could, I love the boy too much.
Onosho REALLY wants it this basho. I hope he gets a chance, but Keisho is looking drat unstoppable.
Abi vs. Ryuden. Battle of the furious dumbasses. The less objectionable one won imo. But sweet Christ his footwork is still the worst in the business.
Old Man Tamawashi's fast reactions saved him again, a drat nice deflecton at the rope. Daieisho started the basho gunning as hard as Onosho but hasn't put up the same numbers. I still expect him to KK though.
Wakamotoharu had no time for circus tricks. Quick and decisive. He may pass his brother eventually.
Mitakeumi has taken up the Snorlax mantle from Ichi. Today we got awake Mitake. Feels like Kotonowaka has done a lot of good work this basho but it's not reflected in his score thus far.
Sadanoumi hasn't won much, buit his wins have looked really strong. I was surprised to see him take down WTK, but good on him avoiding MK for another day.
Shodai.
Keisho got in some casual kotenage practice there. That's his second or third win by arm lock this basho. As a second trick, it's a pretty good one.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Day 10

Wakatakakage has not been the same since changing mawashi color on the middle of what could have been in ozeki run. Bring back the blue!

Keisho is gettin that drat rope, no doubt about it. He looks so strong and way more versatile this basho.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Day 10:
Loved Shodai's commitment to the most awkward arm clamps you'll ever see. Got the job done too!

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
Apparently Kotoshoho wasn't happy with having a torinaoshi.

If Hoshoryu and Wakatakakage end up MK, then I don't know what to think about the ozeki field.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

bartolimu posted:

Decided to stream of thought comments on the last half of the upper division today.

So, Day 10:

Abi vs. Ryuden. Battle of the furious dumbasses. The less objectionable one won imo.

Lol I thought the same thing. Was only half paying attention and didn't see/hear who Abi was against and thought "boo, he broke his losing streak" before seeing who his opponent was and going "ok, that's fine I guess"

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Day 10

Wakatakakage has not been the same since changing mawashi color on the middle of what could have been in ozeki run. Bring back the blue!

Keisho is gettin that drat rope, no doubt about it. He looks so strong and way more versatile this basho.

Day 10

Never, ever change your mawashi unless you're already on a losing streak. It's bad luck.

Also, new SHODAI theory: Has anyone considered that maybe he just didn't want to be an ozeki anymore? Maybe he was tired of getting poo poo talked for constantly going 8-7, 7-8, 8-7.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
I watched shodai's ozeki run live and I constantly have to go back and check to see if he really put up those numbers to earn it. And a loving yusho. Shodai.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

SHODAI

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Day 11: Welp. Hamster ain’t getting the rope with a 13-2 yusho. But maybe in March if he keeps this up.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Day 11:
SHODAI

Kotonowaka did a great job of keeping Takakeisho from getting his usual strong tachiai. Feels like once he averted that he had it all worked out.

Tamawashi is ageless.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
day 11 Keisho could get the rope wijth 13-2, if they're desperate. But tamawashi on a late charge is always a terrifying prospect.

i think the funniest thing about this basho is that we absolute stuffed guys into sanyaku like a clown car, and none of them are in contention for the yusho

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Day 11: Shodai!!!

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
Day 11:

CuriousSymptoms
Jul 18, 2004

Those Goddamn Rainbows Are At It Again

Still catching up with coverage after a ludicrously busy work week. Just watching highlights of Day 7 - my boy Hokutofuji has such intense fighting spirit :dance:

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Hoping Hoshoryu can get to KK tomorrow and call it quits—that ankle is still clearly pretty tender and I’d hate to see him make it worse

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Hoping Hoshoryu can get to KK tomorrow and call it quits—that ankle is still clearly pretty tender and I’d hate to see him make it worse

Ah, a time when it's perfectly justifiable to henka lol. 3 guesses who he's facing too.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Bentai posted:

Day 11: Welp. Hamster ain’t getting the rope with a 13-2 yusho. But maybe in March if he keeps this up.

I don't know what counts as a "strong" yusho, but 13-2 seems reasonable since the previous 3 tournaments were, jun-yusho, 10+, jun-yushp

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Day 11: That's the third henka against Takarafuji in a row and he finally had enough, the mad lad turned it around. Bravo!

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Is it just me or does this seem like a particularly henka heavy basho?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Nativity In Black posted:

Yes it does, there was even a double henka today!

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Nativity In Black posted:

I was saying this to my partner as well.

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
It's honestly starting to turn me against the noble henka, when it's just an occasional surprise (and as long as it's not being done to the guy I'm cheering for) it's very funny and good but it's getting to be a bit much.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I was starting to wonder if (up through Day 11) Takarafuji was hurt and it was an open secret. Sometimes healthy rikshi will sidestep an injured colleague hoping to pose less risk of hurting them further. But then he fought back so I don't think that's what happened for him at least. But who knows?

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Pretty much what I'm hoping for at this point as well.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Mode 7 posted:

Pretty much what I'm hoping for at this point as well.

Comedy result: Hosho keeps trying and they schedule him against Taka. Hosho decides "nah, I'm good with 7" and hands Taka a fusen Yusho/rope.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
I think the ultimate comedy option is shodai goes 9-6 and costs keisho the yusho

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
day 12: More henkas more hansoku

also

Shodai.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Day 12: Onosho at the top of the leaderboard. What a time to be alive

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Day 12: 39 points so far! WTK pulling me down was unexpected, I hope he can get KK and hang onto Sekiwake!

So many Henkas, I love it!

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Day 12: Shodai!

And Takakeisho isn't getting that rope this basho. If he keeps up this level of performance for another basho, though, I think he gets it.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Log082 posted:

And Takakeisho isn't getting that rope this basho. If he keeps up this level of performance for another basho, though, I think he gets it.

Day 12: If he keeps up this level of performance, he isn't getting it any time soon because if he can't put together decisive performances now, he probably won't when he has to compete with low maegashira Asanoyama and a hopefully recovered Terunofuji for two wins in a row.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
My very early trade from Oho to Onosho is paying dividends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Log082 posted:

Looking grim for sure