Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

purity balls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
tying healthcare to jobs

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Go lick a dog's ass til it bleeds.
itt europeans pretend they aren’t more disgusting and useless than americans

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Using "MM" to denote millions

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Marijuana posted:

u mad

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Marijuana posted:

if you want a thread for that you should make one

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

don’t threaten me with a good time!!

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
saying "I could care less"
writing complicated explanations for why saying "I could care less" is actually a thoughtful and correct statement, and not just morons mangling a stock phrase

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
But what if you could care less? Like when you only care a little.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Marijuana posted:

I'm neither so as an impartial third party, my conclusion is :d2a:

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Hunger-striking detainees claimed that guards were force feeding them in the fall of 2005: "Detainees said large feeding tubes were forcibly shoved up their noses and down into their stomachs, with guards using the same tubes from one patient to another. The detainees say no sedatives were provided during these procedures, which they allege took place in front of U.S. physicians, including the head of the prison hospital."[75][76] "A hunger striking detainee at Guantánamo Bay wants a judge to order the removal of his feeding tube so he can be allowed to die, one of his lawyers has said."[77] Within a few weeks, the Department of Defense "extended an invitation to United Nations Special Rapporteurs to visit detention facilities at Guantanamo Bay Naval Station."[78][79] This was rejected by the U.N. because of the DoD restrictions: "that [the] three human rights officials invited to Guantánamo Bay wouldn't be allowed to conduct private interviews" with prisoners.[80] Simultaneously, the media reports began related to the question of prisoner treatment.[81] District Court Judge Gladys Kessler also ordered the U.S. government to give medical records going back a week before such feedings take place.[82] In early November 2005, the U.S. suddenly accelerated, for unknown reasons, the rate of prisoner release, but this was not sustained.[83]

In May 2013, detainees undertook a widespread hunger strike; they were subsequently being force fed until the U.S. Government stopped releasing hunger strike information, due to it having "no operational purpose".[85] During the month of Ramadan that year, the US military claimed that the amount of detainees on hunger strike had dropped from 106 to 81. However, according to defense attorney Clive Stafford Smith, "The military are cheating on the numbers as usual. Some detainees are taking a token amount of food as part of the traditional breaking of the fast at the end of each day in Ramadan, so that is now conveniently allowing them to be counted as not striking."[86] In 2014, the Obama administration undertook a "rebranding effort" by referring to the hunger strikes as "long term non-religious fasting."[87]

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

exmarx posted:

In 2014, the Obama administration undertook a "rebranding effort" by referring to the hunger strikes as "long term non-religious fasting."[87]

pfffffffhahahahahahaha

that rules

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
The works of the roots of the vines, of the trees, must be destroyed to keep up the price, and this is the saddest, bitterest thing of all. Carloads of oranges dumped on the ground. The people came for miles to take the fruit, but this could not be. How would they buy oranges at twenty cents a dozen if they could drive out and pick them up? And men with hoses squirt kerosene on the oranges, and they are angry at the crime, angry at the people who have come to take the fruit. A million people hungry, needing the fruit- and kerosene sprayed over the golden mountains. And the smell of rot fills the country. Burn coffee for fuel in the ships. Burn corn to keep warm, it makes a hot fire. Dump potatoes in the rivers and place guards along the banks to keep the hungry people from fishing them out. Slaughter the pigs and bury them, and let the putrescence drip down into the earth.

There is a crime here that goes beyond denunciation. There is a sorrow here that weeping cannot symbolize. There is a failure here that topples all our success. The fertile earth, the straight tree rows, the sturdy trunks, and the ripe fruit. And children dying of pellagra must die because a profit cannot be taken from an orange. And coroners must fill in the certificate- died of malnutrition- because the food must rot, must be forced to rot. The people come with nets to fish for potatoes in the river, and the guards hold them back; they come in rattling cars to get the dumped oranges, but the kerosene is sprayed. And they stand still and watch the potatoes float by, listen to the screaming pigs being killed in a ditch and covered with quick-lime, watch the mountains of oranges slop down to a putrefying ooze; and in the eyes of the people there is the failure; and in the eyes of the hungry there is a growing wrath. In the souls of the people the grapes of wrath are filling and growing heavy, growing heavy for the vintage.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

being scared of Tiktok but watching YouTube every day

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

POWELL CURES KIDS posted:

pfffffffhahahahahahaha

that rules

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Reverse mortgaging the home you got from your parents

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Using "MM" to denote millions

this one’s admittedly pretty hosed up

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

this one’s admittedly pretty hosed up
It's the closest America comes to using metric. M = 1,000. MxM = 1,000,000.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
finance freaks also call one hundred million a "hundo" and a billion dollars a "big one"

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Weka posted:

I'm neither so as an impartial third party, my conclusion is :d2a:

you get a pass as long as you don't live in a commonwealth

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

or israel

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

🧵 https://twitter.com/lunaoi_vn/status/1615506182206066688

I've been in the US for about 3 months and lemme tell you, it loving SUCKS!!!

To all non-Usians who are dreaming of the "American dreams", you better wake the gently caress up and stop believing in those lies.

Why the US sucks, a thread:
Food:

A fastfood meal (Waffle House, KFC...) is around $10-12$ per person, if you eat in a decent restaurant, it's $15-$25 😱

The ONLY affordable restaurant I found is Taco Bell, which is about $7 per person.

Fresh veggies is totally unaffordable. loving WILD!!!
Clothes:

A new hat is around $30-60
A new shirt is usually around $50

I couldn't buy any new clothes in the US, not in a hundred years!

The only place that I found affordable is Goodwill or Thrift Store where they sell secondhand stuff that people donated.
Transportation:

Virtually no public transportation, if any, it's loving old or totally ineffective.

You have to go by cars for 99.9% of the time and it usually take 30-45 minutes to get to the nearest groceries store. Absolutely unnescessary and time consuming
Gas prices:

You have to constantly check your gas level and gas prices EVERYWHERE you go because they are different from gas stations to gas stations.

You dont want to end up running out of gas near a loving expensive gas station.
No street food:

You're hungry and want some healthy cheap street food?

Too bad, it ain't exist except for some food trucks.

You can go to a gas station and buy some crappy over-priced corporate snack or stay hungry until you get home and cook something for yourself.
Hotels are absolutely unaffordable. Air B&B is not much cheaper either.

Car renting is LMAO, I dont even want to think about it.

You want to go travelling? Better stay with your friends or family members' houses if you want to save a massive amount of money.
Copaganda, false covid propaganda, right-wing propaganda, blue-thin-line flags, confederate flags, dont tread on me flags... are loving EVERY WHERE. I'm loving terrified!

TV channels and radio stations reek with capitalist sinophobic propaganda. I'm so loving sick of it.
Houseless people and beggers are everywhere. I dont even know how they can survive here at all!

There are virtually no neighborhood grocery stores or restaurants unless you live in actual downtown which is insanly crowded and expensive with $10-per-hour parking place.
Monthly fee for trash picking service is $60 in rural are.

Internet is AWEFUL and you have to pay poo poo ton of money for that crappy internet every month.

Taxes on every single thing you buy and they are loving nuts.
Your life would only be great in the US if your rich as gently caress or earn more than 100k a year (waymore if you live in big cities), dont have kids, your cars dont break and you dont get sick EVER!
I loving miss my country's delicious and cheap street food where everything is walkable and affordable.
Internet is like $7-10 a month and extremely high quality, gas price is the same (and affordable) everywhere, trask picking fee is $1 a month and a bowl of pho is $1.5 😭😭😭

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Freedom isn't free.

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

In Training posted:

Freedom isn't free.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
One hosed up thing Americans do is to know nothing about the world.

Marijuana posted:

you get a pass as long as you don't live in a commonwealth

Do you even know what countries are in the commonwealth?

Antigua and Barbuda
Australia
Bahamas
Bangladesh
Barbados
Belize
Botswana
Brunei
Cameroon
Canada
Cyprus
Dominica
Eswatini
Gambia
Ghana
Grenada
Guyana
India
Jamaica
Kenya
Kiribati
Lesotho
Malawi
Malaysia
Malta
Mauritius
Mozambique
Namibia
Nauru
New Zealand
Nigeria
Pakistan
Papua New Guinea
Rwanda
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
Samoa
Seychelles
Sierra Leone
Singapore
Solomon Islands
South Africa
Sri Lanka
Tanzania
Tonga
Trinidad and Tobago
Tuvalu
Uganda
United Kingdom
Vanuatu
Zambia

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
rebranding extreme alienation as individualism

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

working to death in the “richest country on earth”

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
hard hats in the shape of cowboy hats

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

if you visit America unless you’re from a select few countries that are currently suffering from Americana that’s the statistically most likely time for you to be murdered

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
they're always getting therapy

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

mawarannahr posted:

🧵 https://twitter.com/lunaoi_vn/status/1615506182206066688

I've been in the US for about 3 months and lemme tell you, it loving SUCKS!!!

To all non-Usians who are dreaming of the "American dreams", you better wake the gently caress up and stop believing in those lies.

Why the US sucks, a thread:
Food:

A fastfood meal (Waffle House, KFC...) is around $10-12$ per person, if you eat in a decent restaurant, it's $15-$25 😱

The ONLY affordable restaurant I found is Taco Bell, which is about $7 per person.

Fresh veggies is totally unaffordable. loving WILD!!!
Clothes:

A new hat is around $30-60
A new shirt is usually around $50

I couldn't buy any new clothes in the US, not in a hundred years!

The only place that I found affordable is Goodwill or Thrift Store where they sell secondhand stuff that people donated.
Transportation:

Virtually no public transportation, if any, it's loving old or totally ineffective.

You have to go by cars for 99.9% of the time and it usually take 30-45 minutes to get to the nearest groceries store. Absolutely unnescessary and time consuming
Gas prices:

You have to constantly check your gas level and gas prices EVERYWHERE you go because they are different from gas stations to gas stations.

You dont want to end up running out of gas near a loving expensive gas station.
No street food:

You're hungry and want some healthy cheap street food?

Too bad, it ain't exist except for some food trucks.

You can go to a gas station and buy some crappy over-priced corporate snack or stay hungry until you get home and cook something for yourself.
Hotels are absolutely unaffordable. Air B&B is not much cheaper either.

Car renting is LMAO, I dont even want to think about it.

You want to go travelling? Better stay with your friends or family members' houses if you want to save a massive amount of money.
Copaganda, false covid propaganda, right-wing propaganda, blue-thin-line flags, confederate flags, dont tread on me flags... are loving EVERY WHERE. I'm loving terrified!

TV channels and radio stations reek with capitalist sinophobic propaganda. I'm so loving sick of it.
Houseless people and beggers are everywhere. I dont even know how they can survive here at all!

There are virtually no neighborhood grocery stores or restaurants unless you live in actual downtown which is insanly crowded and expensive with $10-per-hour parking place.
Monthly fee for trash picking service is $60 in rural are.

Internet is AWEFUL and you have to pay poo poo ton of money for that crappy internet every month.

Taxes on every single thing you buy and they are loving nuts.
Your life would only be great in the US if your rich as gently caress or earn more than 100k a year (waymore if you live in big cities), dont have kids, your cars dont break and you dont get sick EVER!
I loving miss my country's delicious and cheap street food where everything is walkable and affordable.
Internet is like $7-10 a month and extremely high quality, gas price is the same (and affordable) everywhere, trask picking fee is $1 a month and a bowl of pho is $1.5 😭😭😭

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

where is this motherfucker finding thirty dollar hats, fifty dollar shirts, and seven dollar taco bell combos

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Superfund sites

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Kreeblah posted:

I mean, yeah

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

yeah that part is extremely key

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

In Training posted:

Freedom isn't free.

Americans think exclusively in thought-terminating cliche's.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Vomik posted:

working to death in the “richest country on earth”

Thinking America is the richest country on earth.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
take a weird pride in never taking time off from work

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
never taking time off work because you're so short staffed that someone may die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Never take time off work because if you miss more than a day's wages you'll be homeless