Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

ellie the beep posted:

iirc the storyline kicks off with the dad getting ready to buy a new car and offering the old car to jeremy on condition of the van being sold to make room

Yeah the only reason it's being sold was because there was already a new (old) one on deck.

I think Jeremy specifically being blaise about it now, despite all the hemming & hawing of before, is probably just a joke about being getting over things quickly sometimes. And probably meant to take the sting out of the van being comically flattened over as the punchline.

Honestly while it was long in the tooth I didn't hate the van selling story as much as some people did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Solver 9: Boys Like Fun Part 1

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

Do dogs still say “sausages”? WALLS, NOW YOU’RE TALKING SAUSAGES.

Vargo posted:

Breaking Cat News

From the Instagram

quote:

The “Fruit box cat bed tower” from today’s strip is very real! Here are some pictures. You have likely already seen it in my other photos, shot from above. A maroon cat bed is on the top layer in real life.

It’s the daily afternoon napping spot for Puck, with assorted guests. There is artwork from the Girl inside and out, along with inspirational messages for the cats. The Girl asked me to point out that while the Boy taped it together, it was actually her who decided it needed pillows and put them in. (I got that part wrong in the re-telling. 😅 It’s a whole new experience now that the Girl and Boy can read along with all of us! 🤣❤️) This tower has been standing strong since June and we’ve never had a more loved cat bed. They do sleep in the bottom too, but I could not find any photos of them in there. I will try to catch some! (And despite the one cute photo of the Boy hugging Ora Zella, the kids stay off this to keep it safe and standing for the cats.)

The little chickie Elvis is sleeping with in the last picture is from Matt Tarpley’s ‘Cat’s Cafe’ comic. (You can find it on @gocomics and on @catscafecomics on Instagram! It’s great!) The Girl and I are big fans, and there are a few plushies in the house. Elvis keeps stealing this little chickie to play and nap with. 🤣❤️ Between this toy and clucky chicken, Elvis loves a little chicken for some reason!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The van selling story is the same as Curtis gets a new hat story - meaningful for the author but not as meaningful for any reader as the author thinks it will be.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

:china:

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 11/24-26/49

"Yorrocks, Yorrocks!" is probably a mangled reference to the Jorrocks stories, which are humorous tales about an avid fox hunter. Similarly, "view halloo" is what you're supposed to yell when you spot the fox leaving cover.

Archie 4/1-3/46

I think the implication here is that Archie lost a bet and has to buy Jughead a soda?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Selachian posted:

I think the implication here is that Archie lost a bet and has to buy Jughead a soda?

the boy with the iconic cap is a Glutton and a Thieving Poltroon

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
The Antique Dealer’s Tale

Cthulhu and Girl

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nekonaughey

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Ballard Street

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Ballard Street is the greatest

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Ghostlight posted:

Nekonaughey

Success?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

Call me biased, but I tend to agree. There's something wonderfully benign about the craziness.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

BigglesSWE posted:

Call me biased, but I tend to agree. There's something wonderfully benign about the craziness.

It's full of characters that it would absolutely be a waste of time to argue with.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

every single ballard street implies a much longer story that you will never see more than that one split image of

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

what an odd use of the term screaming meemies. It's certainly from GI slang of WW2 referring to the Nebelwerfer rockets. Made a huge racket, considered very disturbing.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I don't know that I can defend this, but something about Ballard Street feels very Chaz Adams.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It was also used in WWI and became associated with those of "nervous disposition" due to, you know, all the soldiers using it as a nickname for the artillery that was shelling them having come back from the war with then-unrecognised PTSD.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Jan 30, 1954)

Calvin and Hobbes (Nov 18-19, 1992)

Big Nate

Blind Alley

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

BigglesSWE posted:

If I tried to write a Ballard Street strip, it would be mere monkeycheese randomness and would be totally unworthy of the name.

I have never figured out just what it is that makes Ballard Street so magical, but it's there in every drat strip.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (May 17-19, 1923)

Toonerville Folks (July 21-23, 1920)

Dok's "First-Class Upgrade" Duck (July 15, 1914)

Little Lefty (November 18-20, 1937)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 17, 2023

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
It’s a good gag, but you posted the July 21 Toonerville in your previous post as well.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Well FOOEY

(July 24, 1920; the encore of the 21st courtesy of a bad case of scrambled brains.)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 17, 2023

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

On another topic, while quoting this I noticed that your filenames are all "Screen-Shot-xxxx", so I'm guessing you're doing screenshots because GoComics blocks right-click save-image-as. Public service announcement for anyone doing the same thing: that's really easy to get around. Install a browser add-on called Stylus (Firefox, Chrome), which lets you make changes to the way your browser renders various sites. In this case, you can use it to turn off the silly right-click block. In the settings for the Stylus add-on, create a new style, name it something like "GoComics right-click" (or anything that strikes your fancy), and paste in these lines in the big code window:

code:
.item-comic-link-disabled, .js-item-comic-link, .item-comic-image {
    pointer-events: auto !important;
    cursor: default !important;
}
You are now free to right-click and download all the comic images you like.

I had been getting into GoComics using a bookmark that disabled the rightclick blocker thing and it had been working fine, though it was an extra step. I just tried this and it works. Thank you, thank you.

Luann

Gil Thorp

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

In today's Blueberry: So, this pastor fella, reckon he's a baddie in some way?, or Will comes round on the idea of the warts-and-all representation, or Miller returns...

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

And that's the end of this glorious, stupid strip. As much as I love NSM, I'm posting a billion more comics than I did when I first started posting reruns from 1999 onward, and that includes another timeline of NSM. So as much fun as it'd be to start from the 'beginning' again, I'm gonna let it rest for a bit.

An archive of Spiderman strips from 1999 to 2017 can be found in the OP of the Newspaper Spiderman thread, and strips from later years are posted throughout it(mostly by Synthbuttrange). Modern reruns are still being posted there, so check it out if you need more :spidey: in your life.

1980 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Legends in the Heights

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

marvel should bring back newspaper spider man dang it

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

Squirrels :huh:

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (February 13, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

okay, bill, i'm entirely here for your take on how much of a virgin the actual historical figure leonardo da vinci is

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Hostile V posted:

Make Me A Happy Woman And Please Go Die In The Snow

Moral of the story: I guess the bees are Jewish.

One thing, among many many many things, that bug me about this hellshitworld of his, is how everyone are loving 24/7/365 obsessed with food! Who the gently caress wants a bunch of food as christmas presents for instance? And everyone in this dumb strip ought be so obese that they have to use mobility scooters.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

I read this as the dudes name is Arrow. Does make it funnier.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

riderchop posted:

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

I'm asking because I spent a few seconds staring at pixel Rae - the joke is she's now made of lego, a thing that's famously painful to step on right?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/16/03

Brenda Starr 3/23-25/50

Smokey Stover 5/25/52

Everyday Movies 1/3/36

"Was I sick after that New Year's party? Gosh, I couldn't look at liquor for a whole day."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 7/28-31/40

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

His Divine Shadow posted:

I read this as the dudes name is Arrow. Does make it funnier.

please don't make light of Private Snipe's demise

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

The Creeps

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Mr. Squishy posted:

I'm asking because I spent a few seconds staring at pixel Rae - the joke is she's now made of lego, a thing that's famously painful to step on right?

That was my interpretation, yeah.

Vintage Valiant (Apr. 24, 1955)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Ghostlight posted:

okay, bill, i'm entirely here for your take on how much of a virgin the actual historical figure leonardo da vinci is

I'm pretty sure it's a take on how gay he is, but I'm sure we'll very quickly get confirmation either way, as Holbrook is not known for not running a thought into the ground.