Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

COPE 27 posted:

I work for a big restaraurant chain - actually work with menu development on occasion - and I can confirm we don't design our food to make people feel bad after eating it.

You're one of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

COPE 27 posted:

I work for a big restaraurant chain - actually work with menu development on occasion - and I can confirm we don't design our food to make people feel bad after eating it.

I work for your biggest competitor and we have an entire department dedicated to making people feel bad after they eat our food.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

COPE 27 posted:

That would get in the way of designing food to give people diarrhea.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i feel bad after eating onion rings from burger king because i also feel bad while eating them

they bad onion ring

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

blatman posted:

i feel bad after eating onion rings from burger king because i also feel bad while eating them

they bad onion ring

Those are bad onion rings.

Beer battered or just give me fries instead.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
onion rings are ok sides but i think a single onion ring on a burger goes a long way

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Buhduhbuhbuhbuh im feeling bad eating it

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Things we try to do:

Make people like our food

Things we try not to do:

Make people dislike our food

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
ok guys new idea, people eat our food and then we kick em in the balls

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

A Bakers Cousin posted:

ok guys new idea, people eat our food and then we kick em in the balls

Congratulations on your management offer from Dick's Last Resort.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

COPE 27 posted:

Things we try to do:

Make people like our food

Things we try not to do:

Make people dislike our food

have you tried simply making food out of pure sugar and fat to maximize the dopamine delivered to the reward center of the lizard brain?

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

my goal as a hamburger sandwich engineer is to make a value meal that sends you into a bottomless pit of existential despair as soon as you finish the last bite, so we can make more money

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

new burger idea: a pile of sugar in between two slabs of lard

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
I still remember my aunts and uncles gathering in the kitchen with my grandma to hold each other and cook through the sadness. I’ve always heard that food brings you together and this was my first memory of that fact.

My dad still tells me stories of how Grandpa Vince loved “lard sandwiches” of white bread packed full in creamy leftover rendered lard. Well, I’m not sure if he loved them or if that’s all his family could afford, but I find it ironic how at that time doctors told him to cut the lard out instead of the inflammatory bread.

As a society we have been taught to despise the word “lard.” When I was a little girl I remember asking my mom if she wanted me to throw out the gross stuff in the coffee cup that was in the refrigerator door. She cried, “NO! That’s rendered lard, I’m saving that for pie crust!” I thought it was disgusting, but I now know better:)

My father often tells me that he thinks about what a long life he would have had if I could have helped him with his diet. I actually think he would have loved the food! Lard sandwiches on Protein bread! What’s not to love?

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Zodium posted:

have you tried simply making food out of pure sugar and fat to maximize the dopamine delivered to the reward center of the lizard brain?

Nah I don't work at starbucks

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Zodium posted:

Dunkin' Donuts has that market cornered

e: lol beaten by basically the same idea

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

COPE 27 posted:

Nah I don't work at starbucks

sounds like starbucks will be eating your company's lunch when you're working against millions of years of evolution like that

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

This reminded me though, there's an Experimental Test Kitchen nearby for the PDQ corporation where you can go and try out the latest in chicken science, I should check it out some time.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

My grandpa loved lard on toast but he also had a colostomy and would poo poo in a bucket through his porthole in front of us kids

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Zodium posted:

sounds like starbucks will be eating your company's lunch when you're working against millions of years of evolution like that

Do you not live in the US or something, there's a starbucks on like every other corner of every single town here

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Like of all the companies to pick to be an example of how "add a ton of fuckin' sugar to the detriment of everything else" doesn't work, Starbucks is a hell of a choice

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

A Bakers Cousin posted:

I still remember my aunts and uncles gathering in the kitchen with my grandma to hold each other and cook through the sadness. I’ve always heard that food brings you together and this was my first memory of that fact.

My dad still tells me stories of how Grandpa Vince loved “lard sandwiches” of white bread packed full in creamy leftover rendered lard. Well, I’m not sure if he loved them or if that’s all his family could afford, but I find it ironic how at that time doctors told him to cut the lard out instead of the inflammatory bread.

As a society we have been taught to despise the word “lard.” When I was a little girl I remember asking my mom if she wanted me to throw out the gross stuff in the coffee cup that was in the refrigerator door. She cried, “NO! That’s rendered lard, I’m saving that for pie crust!” I thought it was disgusting, but I now know better:)

My father often tells me that he thinks about what a long life he would have had if I could have helped him with his diet. I actually think he would have loved the food! Lard sandwiches on Protein bread! What’s not to love?

Tiberius Christ posted:

My grandpa loved lard on toast but he also had a colostomy and would poo poo in a bucket through his porthole in front of us kids

Please just get to the recipe

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Shame Boy posted:

Do you not live in the US or something, there's a starbucks on like every other corner of every single town here

do you think maybe the fact that this is particular to america might say something about your evolutionary theory of the big mac?

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

evolutionary psychology people are the worst

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Fun fact: by cups per day per capita, Americans are in the top three coffee-drinkers in the world. However, since Americans don't actually drink coffee when they "drink coffee" they are only 25th in actual coffee consumed per capita per year.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Zodium posted:

do you think maybe the fact that this is particular to america might say something about your evolutionary theory of the big mac?

lol ok

Zodium posted:

Lmao yes it's :biotruths: all the way down and I have been jorp in disguise the whole time

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

So going by these posts I'm gonna assume your answer to my previous question is "yes, I do in fact think the spirit body is what drives food consumption", and I apologize for harshing your aura this whole time.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

i think food preference is conditioned, and not "programmed by millions of years of evolution."

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Zodium posted:

funny you should say that. lots of people are salty about this

Santollo, J., Daniels, D., Leshem, M., et al. (2023). Sex differences in salt appetite: Perspectives from animal models and human studies. Nutrients. doi:10.3390/nu15010208.

quote:

Salt ingestion by animals and humans has been noted from prehistory. The search for salt is largely driven by a physiological need for sodium. There is a large body of literature on sodium intake in laboratory rats, but the vast majority of this work has used male rats. The limited work conducted in both male and female rats, however, reveals sex differences in sodium intake. Importantly, while humans ingest salt every day, with every meal and with many foods, we do not know how many of these findings from rodent studies can be generalized to men and women. This review provides a synthesis of the literature that examines sex differences in sodium intake and highlights open questions. Sodium serves many important physiological functions and is inextricably linked to the maintenance of body fluid homeostasis. Indeed, from a motivated behavior perspective, the drive to consume sodium has largely been studied in conjunction with the study of thirst. This review will describe the neuroendocrine controls of fluid balance, mechanisms underlying sex differences, sex differences in sodium intake, changes in sodium intake during pregnancy, and the possible neuronal mechanisms underlying these differences in behavior. Having reviewed the mechanisms that can only be studied in animal experiments, we address sex differences in human dietary sodium intake in reproduction, and with age.

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20230116/How-salt-appetite-differs-between-males-and-females.aspx posted:

Like rats, sex differences in sodium intake have also been widely reported in humans. Although sex hormones likely impact the salt appetite of many animals, such differences remain unclear in humans and are likely multifactorial.

In humans, the implications of sex differences and salt intake are often related to the health consequences of a high-salt diet. Aside from the widely known medical consequences of a high salt diet, particularly for women, its effects on reproductive health and mood are relatively unstudied.

Since salt is the only nutrient whose attraction, intake, disposition, and effects differ dramatically by sex, future research examining these differences must be conducted on female animals.

😂

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I saw a thing many years ago about how babies will like salty foods more if their mothers ate a lot of salt during pregnancy

there was a pic of happy and pissed off babies tasting salt solutions but i don't have it to post

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Zodium posted:

i think food preference is conditioned, and not "programmed by millions of years of evolution."

That's at least more reasonable than... whatever the hell you were saying before, though I think you're gonna have a hard time showing that any living being more complex than like a slime mold doesn't have at least some innate reward feedback system that says "fat / sugar / salt / carbs good, find more of that"

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

Zodium posted:

this is a childlike understanding of the brain, taste perception and food preference. mcdonalds has not been engineered to be delicious, but to be addictive. it's supposed to make you feel good while eating it and bad after eating it, much like cigarettes make you feel good while smoking and bad after smoking it. this first-good-then-bad dynamic underpins consumer product addiction. it has to do with dopamine and "lizard brains" in only the most trivial sense.

i was on the Mc-burger design team in 1971 and we knew for sure that the burgers didn't need fat, sugar or salt to sell. those are ingredients that cost money and just get in the way of the main factor in selling burgers, punishment. the burger needs to humiliate you and make you feel sick otherwise you won't come back every day at lunch time when you are coincidentally and entirely unrelatedly also hungry for fat sugar and salt.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I like burgers, but I also like pho. Explain this, evolutionailures!

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Shame Boy posted:

That's at least more reasonable than... whatever the hell you were saying before, though I think you're gonna have a hard time showing that any living being more complex than like a slime mold doesn't have at least some innate reward feedback system that says "fat / sugar / salt / carbs good, find more of that"

nobody's saying living beings don't have reward systems you evopsych dumbass

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'm veering towards a low-zodium diet right now. According to Zodium's dumb-rear end theories, the opposite should happen and I should want to read more of their posts :thunk:

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Paladinus posted:

I like burgers, but I also like pho. Explain this, evolutionailures!

I would eat pho but would gently caress the burger.

(insert mcdonalds "i'd hit that" web ad here)

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Shame Boy posted:

Make us all slime molds again

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Zodium posted:

SB has the sugar fiends locked down, we're going after a different target demo

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran
If you feel bad about eating a burger you eat too many burgers.

Sorry for the hard truth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Milosh posted:

If you feel bad about eating a burger you eat too many burgers.

Sorry for the hard truth.

Or maybe you're feeling regret for not having eaten enough burgers.

There is a burger equilibrium