Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

At this point it would be pretty disappointing if they released the final crafting bits unchanged from what they announced, will be a lot of "it took months just to finish adding this? what took so long?"

Bonus points if it's still horribly bugged and barely usable on release or has to be disabled after the patch.

This is exactly what's going to happen :v:

And we're still gonna get people acting surprised that Fatshark is Fatsharking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
what’s the holiday calendar in sweeden looking like this week?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

At this point it's going to take more than them finishing the crafting system to get my friends and I to come back to this but I am also wondering when it's okay to start wondering when Fatshark will give some kind of update about their game.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I don't think Fatshark realizes how badly they shot themselves in the foot with this whole fiasco. I know it's nothing new (lol VT2) but Darktide was a much more anticipated release with a much broader audience appeal and they really, really hosed it.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

It’s early access without admitting it. I don’t understand why they didn’t just release it as one, and release 1.0 with the console release

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

edit: ^^^^ lol how did you beat me to this?

So, standard caveat that this is just Steam etc etc. but out of curiosity I looked at what VT2 and DT are doing players-wise:

right now, at this moment, VT2 has more players with 7700 vs DT's 6000:

Now, 9 AM EST on a work day etc etc, so maybe there are just more VT2 players in Europe, but still.

The 12-hour peak for both is almost dead on at ~12k players.

Worse, DT is showing about a 50% player base drop in the last month.

What's all the more damning is that DT is the technically superior game (in a moment-to-moment gameplay and graphics sense), and VT2 is a five year old game.

When the previous iteration of your franchise is doing as well or better than the shiny new one you just launched, something's hosed up.

This is doubly hosed up for Fatshark because obviously their revenue model for this game is based on ongoing purchases rather than the initial purchase of the game. You're not going ot sell many fancy skins if only 12k people are playing at any given time.

To put this into perspective, here are the current player counts for some random other games:

Stellaris, a fairly old Paradox strategy game: 15k

Cyberpunk 2077: 25K

This War of Mine, an old indie game: 1.2k

Kerbal Space Program: 3k

Deep Rock Galactic: 14k

Valheim: 35k

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I think having missions not have the exact same path to run every time would have helped a fair bit, but I'm not surprised that people who have everything at 30 already have dropped the game.

I really didn't follow much of the development of the game (stopped doing that ages ago in general to avoid disappointment :v:) and I've been having a blast just being in the levels and seeing my favourite setting in the flesh so-to-speak, so I'm quite happy with my moneys worth as it is.

What's the overall concerns people are having with DT because I'm genuinely oblivious of everything but the missing crafting system, and I don't think the few bugs that pop-up would cause *that* much outrage.

Though my one pet-peeve is not having keybinds to pop into all the various vendors and mission select like in VT2, c'mon the bridge isn't that interesting to jog around.

e: Okay and the lacklustre story so far, where is Dan Abnett's stuff because it sure as hell wasn't in the cutscenes with the rando zealot. :nsamad:

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

ijyt posted:

e: Okay and the lacklustre story so far, where is Dan Abnett's stuff because it sure as hell wasn't in the cutscenes with the rando zealot. :nsamad:

I wouldn’t be surprised if this was a Destiny 1 situation, where they ripped out the entire plot at the last minute for some reason, and threw together something to replace it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

ijyt posted:

What's the overall concerns people are having with DT because I'm genuinely oblivious of everything but the missing crafting system, and I don't think the few bugs that pop-up would cause *that* much outrage.

Compared to VT2 the meta-game wrapper surrounding the minute to minute gameplay is dogshit.

- getting new items is way worse
- mission rewards are terrible
- lack additional class builds to unlock
- inability to keep a pub group together after you finish a run
- mission hub is both unnecessary and creates additional friction to getting in a match
- crafting/upgrading system is unfinished/sucks
- the missions all feel very same-y and they lack the big, setpiece missions with boss battles that VT2 has. I mean, yeah, you've got that one guy in the train station / prison but it's the same boss and VT2 has a lot more of them.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I'm still amazed there are 13 different missions or whatever because it feels like 6.

Also you only get 1-4 missions available at a time for your preferred difficulty.

So many of Darktide's problems are new to Darktide, having already been solved in VT2

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

Compared to VT2 the meta-game wrapper surrounding the minute to minute gameplay is dogshit.

- getting new items is way worse
- mission rewards are terrible
- lack additional class builds to unlock
- inability to keep a pub group together after you finish a run
- mission hub is both unnecessary and creates additional friction to getting in a match
- crafting/upgrading system is unfinished/sucks
- the missions all feel very same-y and they lack the big, setpiece missions with boss battles that VT2 has. I mean, yeah, you've got that one guy in the train station / prison but it's the same boss and VT2 has a lot more of them.

Ok those are valid complaints, but I swear I see the option to vote to merge strike teams, unless that got removed recently.

e: also please combine character inventories and currencies please 😭

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It got removed because it never worked. It was broken from day 1.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

big cummers ONLY posted:

I'm still amazed there are 13 different missions or whatever because it feels like 6.

Also you only get 1-4 missions available at a time for your preferred difficulty.

So many of Darktide's problems are new to Darktide, having already been solved in VT2

I don't think they should be allowed to call it a new map if all they did was reverse the run on it. I'm sorry but starting at the opposite end of the map doesn't make it new.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I played it for 75 hours according to steam so it's not like I didn't get my money's worth but it's just an unfinished game. There was so much more to Vermintide 2 when it came out and they didn't have a premium shop charging $15 for skins (until later after they made vermintide 2 better). Half of my friends would crash during missions, not get credit for missions, never see certain weapon types as rewards. There's less to do once you max a character out since XP/Gold largely no longer matters, and inventories/currencies/weeklies don't get shared between classes so starting over a new character was annoying. The feats are unspectacular and most classes have pretty clear cut winners for which ones to pick, same with weapons (at least for the Ogryn) where there's only a couple truly viable options. Once you get that weapon if you want to make it better you're reminded that the crafting system is not finished yet because half of it is still coming soon.

The gameplay is spectacular and easy to forget most of this stuff when you're in a game thrashing hordes but inevitably someone will crash, or we'd finish and nobody got credit towards their melkbucks, or we'd get a weapon we want to alter and can't yet, or we all just got bored with what was there and moved onto new stuff. It just feels like a game that was pretty clearly rushed out the door and still didn't make it in time and the biggest change that the game has seen in the last few weeks is the new cosmetics in the shop. Although I don't even know if those have been updated since I last played this like 3 weeks ago.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

V2 has become as unstable for me as Darktide and I'm at a loss to explain why. I've never had problems before and they're doesn't seem to be any significat patches. It's very annoying.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Kith posted:

I don't think Fatshark realizes how badly they shot themselves in the foot with this whole fiasco. I know it's nothing new (lol VT2) but Darktide was a much more anticipated release with a much broader audience appeal and they really, really hosed it.

I’d be curious to know what percentage of darktide buyers never played VT2, or if they did, only after it was made free after extensive patches so they didn’t have accurate expectations going in. just anecdotally I saw an incredible amount of hype for this game in the year leading up to release and none of it seemed very informed about who the developer is.

They managed to sustain a fair amount of VT2 players through a long period of post release support (and recently making it entirely free) so they might have the impression that they can do that again with darktide, initial bad press be damned. But I have the suspicion a lot of those first time darktide players are not going to come back and when there’s a darktide 2 in a few years’ time, many of those people are just going to remember that week they tried to play the thing they were really hyped for, got stuck crashing and disconnecting constantly, and found half of the game was completely unfinished before they quit. Pushing a live service product this unfinished out the door immediately before they knew everyone would be away for a month was a truly asinine move

megane
Jun 20, 2008

ijyt posted:

My first level 30 was my female zealot so I thought it was at least kinda neat that they made the traitor match my character! Like, they went to this little bit of trouble to say: yes, this heretic is much like you, player, there but for the grace of the Emperor etc. etc.

But no actually it's the same lady zealot regardless, trombones.aiff

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

ijyt posted:

I think having missions not have the exact same path to run every time would have helped a fair bit, but I'm not surprised that people who have everything at 30 already have dropped the game.

I really didn't follow much of the development of the game (stopped doing that ages ago in general to avoid disappointment :v:) and I've been having a blast just being in the levels and seeing my favourite setting in the flesh so-to-speak, so I'm quite happy with my moneys worth as it is.

Though my one pet-peeve is not having keybinds to pop into all the various vendors and mission select like in VT2, c'mon the bridge isn't that interesting to jog around.

Have you played Vermintide 2?

I'm not assking so I can go "lol you dont know anythign" - but if you do the difference is night and day. If you play V2 after darktide, other than the mix of ranged/melee and the Toughness mechanic, V2 is better in every single way (crafting, progression, stability, player agency, mission selection and choice, career uniqueness, build variety within careers, etc), and its hard to believe that Darktide is in fact the third game, not the second.

And Vermintide 2 already wasn't in the best state, so it's a pretty low bar.

For me it's the performance and stability - I'm on an i5 13600k with an RTX3070 and I can barely manage 60fps without stutters, even though I can see none of my resources are being used close to 100% - even on lowest settings I cant get a stable non stuttery framerate. During beta I was on an i7700k and it wasnt much better, and I crashed once or twice every single mission. It's down to one or two per hour but the random crashes are still the main reason I don't bother playing.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jan 17, 2023

Passburger
May 4, 2013

ijyt posted:

Ok those are valid complaints, but I swear I see the option to vote to merge strike teams, unless that got removed recently.

e: also please combine character inventories and currencies please 😭

If you mean the post-mission one, I haven't seen it for a while now.

Lt. Broccoli
Jun 4, 2006

It just sits there. Completely harmless.
My wife and I jumped into VT2 after DT got anemic, and it got her mad at DT when nothing else did. Really makes it apparent how bad FS hosed up. They had the perfect blueprint, everything, and somehow went on to make a demonstrably worse experience.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
So some napkin notes while I played with my friend last night. We ran 15 games. My friend had a lvl 25 Ogryn. I had a lvl 15 Zealot.

My friend got an emperor's gift 12 out of 15 games.
All were upgrades (and even two legendary).

I got an emperor's gift 2 out of 15 games.
No upgrades, all items lower rank then I had and both green.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

iirc there is a builtin cap on emperors gifts that resets weekly that's around 20? items.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I think the longevity of the game is supposed to be built around Melk missions, which suck, and grinding for the best weapon stats, which suck, so the devs really fell over their own feet with this. There's also those dumb achievements for cosmetics which are basically impossible to get by just playing, but I think most people would give up on getting those unless they've got a friend group to play with.

I know we've talked about playing for just playing sake and I 100% agree with that but the game has to be designed to be played like that and not a repetitive shell. The combat is great though so maybe in two years of patches there might be a game worth coming back to :shrug:

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Fishstick posted:

iirc there is a builtin cap on emperors gifts that resets weekly that's around 20? items.

I don't think that is it.

I've only played this week with my friend, and they have even played some more games than me.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

There's no content worth grinding for, and the grind is unpleasant. Until they fix those issues, the game isn't going to change. Looking like a candidate for comeback title, but might as well play other stuff for a bit.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Yeah it's a bummer because I love the flow of the game and could continue putting in a couple late night hours a week on this indefinitely, but I'm concerned the player base is going to get small and weird way too fast without bug fixes and the content drip players expect these days

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah we had like 6 people in our friend discord group looking forward to this game, 2 of them being folks who buy like, 2 games a year but they were actively hyped for it and everything. 5 of us bought it during the preorder thing, one of them refunded it cause it just didn't work for him, two of them played it for a small bit but dropped off and then me and one other person have played it a fair bit but even he says he's not enjoyed it anywhere near as much as he did Vermintide 2. The last person didn't buy it at all because our reaction was so tepid.

Hopefully they can improve massively and then in a year or so we can convince them to get in on it, I've enjoyed it well enough and got my moneys worth but they definitely have ballsed it up pretty hard.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

It's really gratifying coming here after my last game to go deep on was Gundam Evolution

I've been burned by games where devs go AFK at crucial moments twice in a row now

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Can't believe they still haven't said anything about a patch lol

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

As someone who stuck through Vermintide for years even when it looked like FS had abandoned the game, the #1 thing that would keep this game afloat during a long hiatus would be a proper server browser.

Being able to see who is already running a mission that meets your melk requirements rather than either mashing quickplay or starting your own match would be so, so helpful for keeping people around and at the same time help knit together a dwindling playerbase. It's one of the reason DRG has never felt anemic player wise (well, in recent years, it's because it's, you know, kinda popular if still a little niche).

The core gameplay here is still very good and imho when you reach the end of the grind you embrace that attitude because the same thing happened in VT2; even when I had maxed out red gear in all relevant slots I was still booting up the game and playing - it was one of the things Chaos Wastes really helped with, actually, though obviously you don't want to be adding alternative play modes to DT at this point, it would just split the game even more.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Ok, I uninstalled and reinstalled the game, verified game files, and tried again. I can reliably only get one perfectly functional, perfectly fun game in a row- any further games reliably crash 100% of the time on loading the mission and the game remains unplayably unstable until I try again the next day. Is this a known issue with a fix? Is this just one of those things where it hates 3080 cards?

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 17, 2023

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Mendrian posted:

As someone who stuck through Vermintide for years even when it looked like FS had abandoned the game, the #1 thing that would keep this game afloat during a long hiatus would be a proper server browser.

Being able to see who is already running a mission that meets your melk requirements rather than either mashing quickplay or starting your own match would be so, so helpful for keeping people around and at the same time help knit together a dwindling playerbase. It's one of the reason DRG has never felt anemic player wise (well, in recent years, it's because it's, you know, kinda popular if still a little niche).

DRG did not start with a server browser and frankly I'd be surprised if it had any significant impact on player retention or filling missions when it did get added.

DRG has done a whole hell of a lot right and adding a server browser some time after full release was not one of those things to contribute to its continued success imo.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Another example is dedicated servers

Widely requested for V2 because a shitter host ragequitting would screw over the entire party, and what little host migration there was pretty much boiled down to "replay the level lol". Also V2 sales pitch included dedicated servers that players could host or rent, alongside official fatshark servers - ie like many FPS and survival games.

For Darktide instead they chose to go with the most expensive method (hosting every single server instance themselves) that also leaves players with the least amount of control.

DRG doesnt have dedis but its also pretty much a non-issue because ragequitting/Crashing/disconnecting hosts are a rarity. Not saying it never happens, but as someone who plays these kinds of games only with pubbies 99% of the time - it's several orders of magnitude less than in V2.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Ok, I uninstalled and reinstalled the game, verified game files, and tried again. I can reliably only get one perfectly functional, perfectly game in a row- any further games reliably crash 100% of the time on loading the mission and the game remains unplayably unstable until I try again the next day. Is this a known issue with a fix? Is this just one of those things where it hates 3080 cards?

3000 series NVIDIA cards are anecdotally the ones crashing the most

I have a 3070ti and I have about 1 crash log per hour played

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Did anyone else find it a little disappointing that all weapons looked the exact same in DT when VT2 on release had about a dozen to a half a dozen weapon variations per weapon type with something shiny and glowy for the rarest weapons?
There's the (two) weapon skins in the shop per weapon, but you're not exactly going to be spending your early coin on those for a black/red paint job when you need new weapons and the VT2 weapon skins weren't just paint jobs, they were entirely new models in most cases and you didn't have to just pay to unlock them from a store, you'd get them randomly.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

Don't worry, they're forming the committee to review the recommendations to revise the changes any day now.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Did anyone else find it a little disappointing that all weapons looked the exact same in DT when VT2 on release had about a dozen to a half a dozen weapon variations per weapon type with something shiny and glowy for the rarest weapons?
There's the (two) weapon skins in the shop per weapon, but you're not exactly going to be spending your early coin on those for a black/red paint job when you need new weapons and the VT2 weapon skins weren't just paint jobs, they were entirely new models in most cases and you didn't have to just pay to unlock them from a store, you'd get them randomly.

not just a little, find most of them tremendously dull in their design. What keeps me happy is that their FX is overall very good (not spectacular, but well done and also emits light which is cool) so when actually playing it really doesn't matter that much that they look bad.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

thats been a really weird part of it to me, its like a big thing in warhammer 40k lore that they really take care of their guns, and guns of good quality get taken care of and engraved and adorned and such.

digustingly ornamented guns are also a signature of the inquisition and it seems like something your character should get access to as they get higher level and formally become an acolyte, it would make sense for the grey guns to be hosed up looking battlefield salvage, the green stuff to be standard issue, blue should be like manufactorum-new, purple with more ornamentation, then orange be disgusting like cartel style guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

No idea which discord that message came from, but it’s seems like the leadership/management of this title isn’t keeping up with the quality of the artists/devs and that’s a drat shame because their work is excellent.