Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Marillion kinda rules in concert

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warthur
May 2, 2004

BigFactory posted:

Marillion kinda rules in concert

Yeah, they slap. All the FIsh-era live releases are great, the Steve Hogarth era they've put out a lot of live stuff and some of it is fairly lazily done (because they have an audience loyal enough to just buy it), but they've curated them a bit better recently. (The Marillion Weekend live releases are a particular minefield. On the one hand, they tend to do unusual setlists for the weekenders. On the other hand, the experiments they do with the setlist don't always work out in practice.)

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Warthur posted:

Yeah, they slap. All the FIsh-era live releases are great, the Steve Hogarth era they've put out a lot of live stuff and some of it is fairly lazily done (because they have an audience loyal enough to just buy it), but they've curated them a bit better recently. (The Marillion Weekend live releases are a particular minefield. On the one hand, they tend to do unusual setlists for the weekenders. On the other hand, the experiments they do with the setlist don't always work out in practice.)

I saw them when they toured the states for Marbles and they were a rock solid live band. Would see them again in a heartbeat.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Snow Cone Capone posted:

which Symphony X album is the one you own?

V: The New Mythology Suite

I don't dislike it - just have had a couple of listens during dog walks and not sure if it's my cup of tea or not yet. Been a while so I'll definitely give it another spin soon.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I just realised, as I was driving around listening to Images and Words, that I haven't listened to any DT albums post Six Degrees. What are the best albums after that I should check out?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Octavarium and Systematic Chaos.

Train of Thought is Mike Portnoy writing about all his personal issues and BCSL is the one last hurrah of the 2000s lineup writing some okay but cheesy as hell music.

Post-Portnoy, A Dramatic Turn of Events isn’t great because Mike Mangini didn’t really have a groove or input on the drumming (it was written by JP), The Astonishing is absolutely terrible because it’s an extremely corny concept album where nobody told JP “no” at any point in writing it, and whatever the most recent one is called is forgettable. Self titled is alright. Distance Over Time is probably the best post-Portnoy album.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
You should listen to The Astonishing once on a slow day, ideally with the companion website open, because it's fascinating how hilariously terrible it is.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Train of Thought was honestly the last DT album to really wow me. It doesn't approach the older stuff but it's got some bangers

but yeah I was never really able to get into anything after that. They play singles off the newer albums on the radio by me sometimes and it seems like they got way heavier, which is kind of bizarre juxtaposed with LaBrie's vocals.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Henchman of Santa posted:

You should listen to The Astonishing once on a slow day, ideally with the companion website open, because it's fascinating how hilariously terrible it is.

It's the only album I've ever listened to where I've looked at the tracklist on my phone midway through listening to it and gone "christ there's still more than an hour left?" multiple times

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Does Dream Theater take the prize as the worst American progressive rock band, or is it Spock’s Beard?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

BigFactory posted:

Does Dream Theater take the prize as the worst American progressive rock band, or is it Spock’s Beard?

Low-quality bait. It's obviously Queensrÿche.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Paladinus posted:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Paladinus posted:

I like queensryche but I’m not saying you’re wrong.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Train of Thought - DT going thrash. Works for the most part. This Dying Soul and Stream Of Consciousness bang pretty hard.

Octavarium - Probably the final stone cold DT classic. More classically progressive rock in nature with nods to Muse and U2.

Systematic Chaos - Portnoy starts going up his own rear end, but in hindsight it's quite enjoyable for some of the swings it takes (even if a few of them don't work), something I wish the Mangini-era did more of (still waiting for that 90125/Abacab/Signals-style synthpop DT album).

Black Clouds & Silver Linings - Mostly a dud tbh. Not much worthwhile other than A Nightmare To Remember.

A Dramatic Turn Of Events - The best post-Octavarium album. Tasty instrumentals, inspirational as gently caress to the point where it’s kind of nauseating (the lyrics in the Mangini-era borders on Christian self-help stuff and it only gets more blatant from here). Awful album cover, phoned-in drums, good poo poo none-the-less.

S/T - Best produced DT album outside of Awake. Bass, guitar, and drum tones are on point (especially on the 24bit versions which have a dramatic increase in dynamic range). Does kinda redo the formula of the previous album but the compositions are still somewhat engaging. The book club-rear end lyrics do start to become grating. The Looking Glass is awesome and might as well be a lost Rush song.

The Astonishing - NO.

Distance Over Time - I never gave myself the time to sit with this one, but it seems they went the opposite direction of The Astonishit with tighter performaces. I should give it another spin sometime.

A View From The Top Of The World - What kind of smug rear end in a top hat came up with that title? Instrumentals can vary from tasty to boring noodling (same can be said compositionally). Nice meaty production, the LAZIEST lyrics, and LaBrie's voice is shot to hell.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

BigFactory posted:

Bigelf

They opened for Porcupine Tree once, and once for DT I saw. Horrible.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
The British are worse.

I remember listening to the most recent Pendragon album and being so embarrassed I avoided anything prog for a year.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

oh cool I'm not crazy for disliking dream theater. it's good to be validated

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

Paladinus posted:

I dunno about that, Dream Theater has James LaBrie while Queensryche has this certified badass:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChZ-QSinSF8

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

My wife can't listen to DT at all because in her words "he just sounds like the guy from Kansas"

it's not that accurate but it cracks me up every time

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Spock's Beard has much more levity and sonic variety than Dream Theater which imo counts for a lot. The Light, Gibberish, as well as most of V are solid.

I don't think Dream Theater hold up so well and their lyrics are downright doofy but I still sometimes listen to the albums I was into as a wee lad first discovering prog and I can still enjoy them.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

homewrecker posted:

I dunno about that, Dream Theater has James LaBrie while Queensryche has this certified badass:

The sanest libertarian.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

JLB proooobably should have been put out to pasture after Six Degrees. It's unfortunate but he's one of the only singers I've ever heard who can turn any consonant into a slightly off-pitch HOWUAAAGH noise.

Geoff Tate is an rear end in a top hat. Dude went from writing an awesome pro-revolution anti-capitalist concept album to writing a song whining about how NASA got more money in the 80s than the cops did.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Kazinsal posted:

JLB proooobably should have been put out to pasture after Six Degrees. It's unfortunate but he's one of the only singers I've ever heard who can turn any consonant into a slightly off-pitch HOWUAAAGH noise.

I always thought that those grunts were Portnoys?

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

homewrecker posted:

Had that certified badass. They got rid of Tate like 10 years ago, and replaced him with another guy with that sounds like him.

Tate now makes albums about "virtual currencies", and you can go on vacation with him https://www.backstagepasstravel.com

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Nightmare Cinema posted:

The British are worse.

I remember listening to the most recent Pendragon album and being so embarrassed I avoided anything prog for a year.
Yeah, I recently purged Pendragon from my collection because I realised I was only holding on to them out of affection for the neo-prog scene they emerged from, even though they've never been on the level of Marillion (or even IQ or Twelfth Night).

Doesn't help that I recently learned that Nick has been talking up David Icke's poo poo in interviews since at least as far back as Believe.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I rarely check on interviews of the smaller bands I listen to (you're going to hear from Roger Waters no matter what), so I can only hope Arena are still fine.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I checked out the Fiery Furnaces' Bitter Tea and that thing had too many notes. It's rather twee progressive pop and by the end of it I was exhausted. I appreciate the band but I can't get into Blueberry Boat either.

Speaking of prog pop, I'm curious about that new Steven Wilson album. What prog albums are everyone looking forward to this year? I like to keep up with prog so even bands that I don't care for (like Riverside) I am excited for their new stuff.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

If we get another slightly poppy Coheed album in the next 24 months I’ll be extremely on board. Any Coheed, really, but I honestly loved the synthpop vibes they were flirting with pretty heavily on Vaxis Act II and want to see where that develops to.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Paladinus posted:

I rarely check on interviews of the smaller bands I listen to (you're going to hear from Roger Waters no matter what), so I can only hope Arena are still fine.

I wish Arena would re-record all their old stuff with Damian Wilson (or at least just the vocals). That's another band where their best stuff is marred by not-great singers.

I'd love to hear Witch Hunt with Damian on vox fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucck.

Warthur posted:

Yeah, I recently purged Pendragon from my collection because I realised I was only holding on to them out of affection for the neo-prog scene they emerged from, even though they've never been on the level of Marillion (or even IQ or Twelfth Night).

Doesn't help that I recently learned that Nick has been talking up David Icke's poo poo in interviews since at least as far back as Believe.

I got to this one song where the lyrics were telling me to go read a book, and then I immediately turned it off an blasted industrial hip-hop to wash this twee nonsense from my ears.

Nightmare Cinema fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 19, 2023

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Nightmare Cinema posted:

I wish Arena would re-record all their old stuff with Damian Wilson (or at leat just the vocals). That's another band where their best stuff is marred by not-great singers.

I'd love to hear Witch Hunt with Damian on vox fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucck.

Oh man, yes! I will settle for a bonus track on a live album, but it needs to happen. Threshold's Pilot in the Sky of Dreams is a great song to begin with, but it was a whole different experience live with Damian.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

So that new Riverside album: I'm thinking its pretty good. The only other stuff I've heard from them is Second Life Syndrome so I checked this one out because I was hungry for fresh 2023 prog. There's a handful of songs on this album I think are great but the lyricism is incredibly flat.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Polish prog scene is really interesting. You might also want to check out Osada Vida.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

DoubleCakes posted:

So that new Riverside album: I'm thinking its pretty good. The only other stuff I've heard from them is Second Life Syndrome so I checked this one out because I was hungry for fresh 2023 prog. There's a handful of songs on this album I think are great but the lyricism is incredibly flat.

Yeah this is definitely the weakest lyrics Duda has put out. Literally any other Riverside album or even his Lunatic Soul project is light years ahead from that standpoint. The subject matter of what we’re sacrificing with modern tech isn’t even new for them, but was much better handled in previous efforts. (See #Addicted and Saturate Me from Love Fear and the Time Machine).

Musically, I love the new album and they’re still one of my all time favorite bands, but Duda let his anger override his poetry on this one.

Free Gratis fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 20, 2023

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

adding a +1 to the new Riverside album being their best probably since ADHD but goddamn those lyrics are awful

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
I just come across Moon Safari and their album Lover's End. It's just on the right side of saccharine for me, and I've been really enjoying it. A nice, melodic contrast with some of the heavier prog I've been listening to recently like Haken and Opeth.

Are their other albums comparable? And is there a good source to buy the CDs from in the UK, as they do not seem to be in print and I am a physical media-buying dinosaur.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

deadwing posted:

adding a +1 to the new Riverside album being their best probably since ADHD but goddamn those lyrics are awful

yeah sometimes it's a shame Mariusz has such a smooth and perfectly understandable and clear voice

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mars Volta are coming here for the first time since 2008. I'm gonna need to go to this.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Rageaholic posted:

Mars Volta are coming here for the first time since 2008. I'm gonna need to go to this.

Yeah. I signed up to get notified for the Houston on sale. Not super hyped about the venue but I guess WOMH wasn't a big enough room. This dulled the pain of those loving Smile dates for me.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Rageaholic posted:

I saw them on the first leg of the tour, and I’ve wanted to see them since 2005 and somehow it did not disappoint whatsoever.

Without spoiling the set list (if you haven’t already seen it) from that leg, they are a band that historically never liked to play anything that was old/not on their newest albums. Their set list was the opposite of that stance and it owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Got my ticket. Man, concert tickets ain't cheap anymore :negative: I wasn't gonna miss this one, though.

If you need the Spotify presale code, it's VIGIL.