Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
which blood port was it that copied the made to order custom enemy menu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

anilEhilated posted:

Who's the leftmost one on the top picture? Seems familiar but can't place it.

Minos Prime in Ultrakill

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

anilEhilated posted:

Who's the leftmost one on the top picture? Seems familiar but can't place it.

Ultrakill, Minos Prime.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

bbcisdabomb posted:

Raze feels like you're playing ZDoom, because it's made by Graf Zahl. I'm phonepostin' or I'd post a link, but it worked great for me.

Here you go. I use Raze, personally.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Deakul posted:

Kex Assertion Failures for drat near everything I do and it's a clean install.

Might help if you said what the assertion failure was. All you're saying otherwise is "I'm having an error", which describes nothing.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
FINALLY

https://twitter.com/Civvie11/status/1614672014056333319?t=Ws8JUV-1Cr89j8cYtzxVAw&s=19

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Nice! I still really like Unreal, can't wait for Civvie to explain why I shouldn't.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

He mentioned on his Patreon page when he uploaded the most recent Thief video that one of the big motivating aspects of making this upcoming Unreal video is pure unadulterated spite and anger towards Epic Games

anilEhilated posted:

Nice! I still really like Unreal, can't wait for Civvie to explain why I shouldn't.

My guess is that Civvie's issues with Unreal are going to line up with most complaints I've seen regarding Unreal 1, that it's too long and slow paced for it's own good, at least regarding the single player stuff*

*I get why Civvie pretty much ignores multiplayer stuff in his videos(aside from pointing out sometimes that levels meant for death match sometimes get repurposed as single player levels or how Death Wish repurposed a lot of bits from Blood's death match mode to stretch out Chernabog's dialogue) but it would be kind of fun to see him go in more depth on that some day

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Yamagi or vkQuake2 for single player?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Nice. I don't have a particular fondness for Unreal's campaign--even back in the day, 90% of my time with it was playing deathmatch with the bot AI (which was unusually competent for the time). That being said, I still have a considerable fondness for its music and feel a big wave of nostalgia whenever it comes up a video. Looking forward to Civvie's take on it.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I get pissed about the Unreal bullshit every time it comes to mind

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I liked the Unreal campaign, but it does have the problem that the first few levels (the mines through the water temple) kinda blow and the last few (the Skaarj mothership) also kinda blow. So you have to push through it to get to the good stuff, and then the good stuff ends before the game does and you leave with a bad taste in your mouth

In the middle, though, are some really cool designs and scenarios

And yeah, the music is fantastic

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViHZuGM0z0U

the dev is the co commentator

site fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jan 16, 2023

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Yamagi or vkQuake2 for single player?

I played Yamagi maybe 2 years ago and it was excellent. vkQuake2 looks to have some enhancements, underwater warp effects and stuff, but that wasn't there for hardware accelerated quake historically anyway.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Really surprised to see Claw referenced, had no idea the same VA also did Caleb and Minos :eyepop:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Honestly if it wasn't pointed out in a Civvie video I would have never figured out he voiced Nyarlathotep either.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

victrix posted:

Same.

For me, the absolute best thing about Steam is that it's currently our closest collective library of the history of videogames.

There are exceptions of course.. Nintendo, stubborn publisher holdouts like Blizzard. But the fact I can load up Steam right now and download stuff like Rollercoaster Tycoon or Pharoah, or Deus Ex, or Aliens vs Predator, and stick them in my library alongside formerly console exclusive heavy hitters like Halo or The Last of Us, it's amazing. I've been playing games for 30 years now, and with increasingly few exceptions, I can almost track the entire history of my favourite games through my installed Favourites list in my library. Modern hits, console exclusives, 90's relics that nobody else will do anything with.. all under the same umbrella with a feature set that allows communities to keep them alive and playable, regardless of time.

That Epic can just delist something like Unreal and Unreal Tournament - real industry all time classics - absolutely sucks. Yes it's their IP and Epic's lack of appreciation for their own history is their business, but it's so against what Steam really brings to the table and facilitates as a service. I think this will always remain the thing that Epic just don't understand about Steam, or what it provides and why people are loyal to it.

Bumhead fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jan 16, 2023

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

victrix posted:

Oh yeah, that reminds me, I need to update the OP...

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Bumhead posted:

For me, the absolute best thing about Steam is that it's currently our closest collective library of the history of videogames.

I was skeptical in the beginning (and preferred Doom 2 to Half-Life 2), but I quickly became a convert and now I have 700+ games on my account.

Valve have done great things for PC gaming and for gaming on Linux in particular. I recently bought a Steam Deck and its dock, and now I have gaming setup that's mostly as straight-forward and grab-it-and-go as a Nintendo Switch. It has the same mobile+docked experience, but with my entire Steam library plus anything I can install manually on Linux, it rules.

I can play RDR2 on a handheld device with surprisingly good performance, it's wild. Not to mention that basically every old-school FPS can run perfectly thanks to amazing source ports.

Stick+gyro aiming takes some getting used to, but I can see how you could become really accurate quote easily.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Honestly if it wasn't pointed out in a Civvie video I would have never figured out he voiced Nyarlathotep either.

Same although I did think the voice was super cool. Jacob sounds like he's trying so hard in comparison

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

KozmoNaut posted:

I recently bought a Steam Deck and its dock, and now I have gaming setup that's mostly as straight-forward and grab-it-and-go as a Nintendo Switch.

Preach.

I've just added the Dock to where my work setup is. I can go from playing Counter-Strike at a desk with M&KB to playing something a little more controller friendly, like Prodeus, anywhere in the house in an instant. It's absolutely amazing.

Being able to have that flexibility with the decades of releases on Steam is extremely cool. Valve getting their hands on the hardware game - specifically handheld hardware - just adds so much to the decades of curation and preservation on Steam.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Same although I did think the voice was super cool. Jacob sounds like he's trying so hard in comparison

It sounds like he blew out his vocal chords after telling me he’ll bury me in a lunchbox in ROTT13.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Bumhead posted:

Preach.

I've just added the Dock to where my work setup is. I can go from playing Counter-Strike at a desk with M&KB to playing something a little more controller friendly, like Prodeus, anywhere in the house in an instant. It's absolutely amazing.

Being able to have that flexibility with the decades of releases on Steam is extremely cool. Valve getting their hands on the hardware game - specifically handheld hardware - just adds so much to the decades of curation and preservation on Steam.

I haven’t really looked at the Deck closely; you can dock it and basically turn it into a normal PC? Based on my experience with the Switch there are some games I can handle with gyro aiming and some I can’t. I utterly failed on the very first arena battle in Doom 16, for example.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

david_a posted:

I haven’t really looked at the Deck closely; you can dock it and basically turn it into a normal PC?

Yes, more or less. The official dock is just a USB-C dock in a Deck-friendly form factor, and the deck is normal PC hardware with an AMD APU, 16GB DDR5 and an NVMe SSD. Any USB-C DisplayPort or HDMI dock should work (not DisplayLink).

SteamOS is based on Arch Linux, with the Steam Deck UI and configuration preinstalled. If you select Switch to Desktop in the power menu, it'll put you on a pretty standard KDE Plasma desktop.

The biggest difference from a normal Linux install is that the root directory is immutable, so you can't install software normally. Luckily most software is available as Flatpaks and can be installed through Discover, KDE's "app store".

I'm using my Deck as a laptop, with a tablet stand plus a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard. It works surprisingly well, though the 7" screen is on the smallish side.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

david_a posted:

I haven’t really looked at the Deck closely; you can dock it and basically turn it into a normal PC? Based on my experience with the Switch there are some games I can handle with gyro aiming and some I can’t. I utterly failed on the very first arena battle in Doom 16, for example.

I've been experimenting with this for the first time this weekend. I'm a pretty light PC user (web browsing, fairly vanilla Steam usage, only rarely toy around with mods). With a monitor and mouse & keyboard plugged into the Dock, the Steam Deck near enough matches my experience of using a PC. Enough that unless something goes wrong or I start running into road blocks with my usage, I'm putting any plans I had to build myself a new PC rig on ice. I just don't think I need to do it given how well the Deck handles the games I play.

Shooters typically have a nice suite of control solutions to make them at least playable even when not docked as a "normal PC", though. Even old stuff like Unreal Tournament and Quake 2 have controller configurations (although I am using Luxtorpeda), and you can use the track pads to simulate mouse usage. CS:GO is actually fully playable on the Deck out of the box (as is 1.6, for that matter), using either analogue sticks or track pads for movement and the triggers to shoot. You're likely to be a total hindrance to your team playing that way, but functionally at least it does work.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

RyokoTK posted:

It sounds like he blew out his vocal chords after telling me he’ll bury me in a lunchbox in ROTT13.

What's rott13

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The 2013 rise of the triad

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Vg'f n onq erznxr bs Evfr bs gur Gevnq, nyzbfg nf onq nf guvf cbfg.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
that's what's i think about every time i see the abbreviation lol

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Can't make any reference to a "Caesar cipher" without pronouncing it "kaiser" like in Fallout New Vegas.

Can't see any reference to a "Caesar cipher" without thinking of the salad.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Can't make any reference to a "Caesar cipher" without pronouncing it "kaiser" like in Fallout New Vegas.

Can't see any reference to a "Caesar cipher" without thinking of the salad.

The real way to make a caesar salad is to leave a bunch of knives in it.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I really liked this run. Thanks for posting it since I missed most of the AGDQ this year :(

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Force Engine has updated with lots of bugfixes that improve compatibility with old mods, along with better accuracy in the GPU renderer and improved sound options. Next on the docket: Linux support, with a specific focus on the Steam Deck!

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

The Kins posted:

Force Engine has updated with lots of bugfixes that improve compatibility with old mods, along with better accuracy in the GPU renderer and improved sound options. Next on the docket: Linux support, with a specific focus on the Steam Deck!

Very interested by this. Can't wait for it to be up and running on Deck.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

https://twitter.com/oocboomshoots/status/1615147060075892737

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

God I miss the big boxes

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

I remember when Dad brought home Half Life :unsmith:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I bought the boxed HL Generations, which had HL, Blue Shift, OpFor and CS1.6, in my local bookshop for about €20, it was the best deal in gaming until I got the orange box

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

verbal enema posted:

My dad got me Return to Castle Wolfenstein for christmas and I was so excited I started crying. RIP dad you woulda loved Cultic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

verbal enema posted:

I went into GameStop and when I went up to the counter to ask for Half-Life, the UPS guy walked in and they popped open the case. "I'll take one of those."