Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

taters posted:

Many very famous drummers, particularly Ringo and Charlie Watts from the Stones, were objectively bad drummers at the beginning of their careers and there are persistent rumors about ghost drummers on their recordings. I believe most of it too, there was too much money being flushed down the drain waiting for someone to gain basic competency on their instrument after joining the band. I don't think Charlie is on a single Stones recording before Aftermath and I highly doubt Ringo appears on a single recording before Hard Day's Night. I know in Ringo's case he did go into the studio and play for some recordings which they swapped out for a someone else in the studio, the other members have talked about it jokingly interviews. In their case is was sometimes John or Paul redoing the drums later which they were open about on some songs like Back in the USSR. Ringo did get better over time though, and a lot of his later drumming is pretty creative, even if as Quincy Jones claimed he couldn't play a roll or tune his own drums. Charlie's playing was so basic and rudimentary just about any studio drummer could do it in one take. When he died among the various hagiographies there was a "5 best songs" list of what someone thought were some of Charlie's best work. 3 of them were well known to not be him playing and they took the article down.

This is wildly untrue, actually, at least in Ringo Starr's case (I don't know much about Charlie Watts). Who played what on various Beatles songs has been pretty extensively documented/analyzed/debated (see especially Mark Lewisohn's Complete Beatles Recording Sessions and Ian MacDonald's Revolution in the Head); there are still some unclear points, but if there was a studio drummer on a bunch of recordings, it would be well-known. I'm pretty sure the only time Ringo was replaced by a studio drummer was Andy White on the 1962 single version of Love Me Do and its B-side P.S. I Love You (Ringo still played drums on the album version of Love Me Do). Paul sometimes played drums when Ringo wasn't available (especially on the White Album, I believe), but I don't believe he ever replaced a previously recorded drum track from Ringo, and Paul was never as good a drummer as Ringo. I don't think Ringo was an objectively bad drummer even on very early Beatles albums; remember he was the only member of the group specifically chosen for his instrumental skill, because he was regarded as the best or second-best drummer in Liverpool (though I guess you could argue that was a case of a medium-sized fish in a small pond). And John was a terrible drummer.

As for Quincy Jones, he said a lot of absurd things: https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Culture/quincy-jones-apologizes-word-vomit-silly-statements-made/story?id=53280450

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
72 years old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mJf_JZR7DM

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 10, 2023

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I just realized I got a detail backwards; it was Ringo on the original single version of Love Me Do and Andy White on the album version.

KonMari DeathMetal
Dec 20, 2009
Hardware question: For cymbal stands, does the brand and price really matter that much? Like, what is the pragmatic difference between a $200 DW boom stand compared with an $80 Mapex boom stand?

Seems like the most practical difference is I keep $120.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, outside of professional stage setup edge-cases, if a stand holds your cymbals where you want it to it's good. If you find yourself wanting more strength/stability then you can look into upgrading down the line. I'm still using most of the hardware that came with my Tama Imperialstar and they're fine (hardware is also probably the best thing about that kit tho so...).

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

Major differences you see are hardware quality, longevity in parts that turn, any parts that have teeth or grip, etc. The other component is weight - double brace stands are road worthy and will take sometimes decades of abuse, but when you're hauling it around everyday the weight becomes a problem. Not a big deal for people with techs or roadies. A good balance in hardware will suit your immediate and potential future needs, and hit a balance of you for weight and stability. Single brace stands are fully capable of doing anything though. Jazz guys were doing things I can't dream of on hardware manufactured less robustly than most things out there today.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Hardware is a hard thing to justify but if you're gigging a lot or moving your kit often, the more quality hardware starts to make sense, especially ease of adjusting and memory locks. I remember two pieces outside of my kick pedal that made a lot of sense for me to spend more money on which was my low profile hi-hat stand (I got tired of breaking the foot plate on the two leg style stands) and my DW ride stand. Everything else was whatever for me. I still have a single braced Yamaha stand from my 96 kit and its great for a non-boom stand.

As long as it's not moving around or collapsing, who cares. I do remember auditioning for a band and the singer/guitarist called me out for using some Pearl stands with my Yamaha kit. I guess he cared.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I would think most modern cymbal stands would be fine. Unless you are mounting a 22" China or something, then you'll need something heavy duty. If if its just a 16" crash then anything should do.

I Might Be Adam posted:

As long as it's not moving around or collapsing, who cares. I do remember auditioning for a band and the singer/guitarist called me out for using some Pearl stands with my Yamaha kit. I guess he cared.

LOL these people still exist? That was more of an 80s thing where everyone was obsessed with getting whatever their musical heroes endorsed at the time. I can assure you that the name brand on your stand will not have any effect on the sound of your playing.

I used to keep Dixon hardware around as spares because they were cheap and worked in a pinch.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

I Might Be Adam posted:

I do remember auditioning for a band and the singer/guitarist called me out for using some Pearl stands with my Yamaha kit. I guess he cared.

lol that automatically sounds like an audition is be okay with failing

just.... lol

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Bonzo posted:

LOL these people still exist? That was more of an 80s thing where everyone was obsessed with getting whatever their musical heroes endorsed at the time. I can assure you that the name brand on your stand will not have any effect on the sound of your playing.

To clarify, this was in uhhhhhhh 2001-ish. It was a for a mediocre alternative rock band and there are only two things I remember from that audition, the mixed brand shaming and after I showed them a rough demo from the last band I was in, they said "i wouldn't let people listen to this". Yeah, dudes were full of themselves. I don't even remember thinking they were that good but I was like 19 at the time.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Soooo after an extremely long hiatus, I have space to set up my Catalina club kit again. Last time it was set up was 2019 and tuned lower for rock. I recently tuned it higher for jazz but the 5 lug rack tom is being an absolute pain to get a decent sound out of. Lots of overtones and not all that great sounding.

I have evans g1 coated on top and bottom. The heads are fine outside of being in bags for a few years and have low play time.

Wondering how much the 5 lug layout is causing it?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I Might Be Adam posted:

Soooo after an extremely long hiatus, I have space to set up my Catalina club kit again. Last time it was set up was 2019 and tuned lower for rock. I recently tuned it higher for jazz but the 5 lug rack tom is being an absolute pain to get a decent sound out of. Lots of overtones and not all that great sounding.

I have evans g1 coated on top and bottom. The heads are fine outside of being in bags for a few years and have low play time.

Wondering how much the 5 lug layout is causing it?

Yeah that seems like not enough lugs. I guess Gretsch know more than me about drums but still.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Oh it’s because it’s the budget Catalina Club. The rest of the shells have an even number of lugs so they haven’t been a problem. I may look into replacing all the top heads in the near future. My coordination and stick control isn’t what it used to be so I’m gonna have to see how much of a barrier that is before I start putting money back into drumming.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Ok, I kinda want to start buying making GBS threads drums and testing this stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZMnMX546Fo

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Just discovered this guy last night. Real interesting takes on mic experimenting and just capturing awesome grooves.

https://youtu.be/IaDYpzmncmU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I Might Be Adam posted:

Just discovered this guy last night. Real interesting takes on mic experimenting and just capturing awesome grooves.

https://youtu.be/IaDYpzmncmU

Somehow I had a feeling it was gonna be this guy on the other side of that link. His stuff is super cool

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

For about a year, I had a kit in this configuration. I got rid of them because you try and haul all that around in a Chevy S10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xxIax4ey-E&t=155s

I will say that Pearl hardware was fantastic back then.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Lol, I can see why they didn't even bother to close-mic any of it for the demo at the end, but goddamn a kit like that sounds like dogshit only from the overheads or whatever Zoom stereo recorder they're using. EDIT: And it doesn't even have a double-kick pedal, for shame.

My dream kit still only has four toms. 10" 12" 16" 18", offset the rack to the left so the ride can be closer. Cymbals are another story, gently caress I could buy cymbals for months and not be satisfied.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I don't think double pedals existed, at least in their current form, in the 80s. I got my first DW5000 double pedal in late '91.

And yes, power toms were loud as hell. Remember the 80s also meant 100w Marshall stacks and 4x12 Ampeg cabinets. poo poo was loud.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

My kitty hangs out whenever I play now

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Anyone have any recs for drum mics? I know that I can just buy a budget mic kit for ~$100 but I feel like I'm gonna get stuff I won't use or something that's better suited for live setups. I'd like to mic up my small kit for just messing around so just kick, rack, floor, snare, and maybe a couple overheads? I already have an sm57. Would rather get quality over quantity of mics.

I also checked out the mics that the drum goblin i posted earlier uses and I can't afford his mics.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Hey this is a dumb question, but what's a kind of hand drum or other percussive instrument that I can have lying on the coffee table and just grab and play on my lap easily as I sit on the couch? With at least a couple of different things I can hit. Is this a classic bongos situation? I have an Udu and it's a lot of fun but just a little big and unwieldy for what I want here.

Edit: looking at a Meinl cajon bongo dealie...

Mozi fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Feb 13, 2023

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Tabla? I used to have some mini bongos for this purpose at my desk. Would also tap on them with chopsticks.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Tabla are pretty big and if you want to play them properly they should ideally be on the floor. I'd say maybe some kind of tongue drum, or thumb piano, although those are more melodic instruments. Otherwise yeah, classic bongo situation.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

One day I’m gonna buy a tabla set, I think they are possibly the coolest drum there is

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I ended up getting that Meinl 'cajon bongo'.

Pretty cool! Not too big, very lightweight, sounds fine. Also functions as a table in and of itself when not in use :p

Rascal_Rockhog
Dec 4, 2011

Now, that's a nice post

I Might Be Adam posted:

Anyone have any recs for drum mics? I know that I can just buy a budget mic kit for ~$100 but I feel like I'm gonna get stuff I won't use or something that's better suited for live setups. I'd like to mic up my small kit for just messing around so just kick, rack, floor, snare, and maybe a couple overheads? I already have an sm57. Would rather get quality over quantity of mics.

I also checked out the mics that the drum goblin i posted earlier uses and I can't afford his mics.

For overheads, maybe check out SE7 from SE Electronics if that's within your budget. Seems to be pretty well regarded.

Sm57 is fine for the top side of the snare - I also think it is good to have something on the bottom snare-side as well. Maybe some cheap clip-on mic just so you can catch some of that snare wire and blend it with the top side mic in the mix?

For kick drum - a used AKG D112 or Shure B52 would probably be a good choice.

IMHO kick, snare and overhead mics are more important than tom mics, so I would maybe wait with buying those.

New New Fresh
May 26, 2013

I Might Be Adam posted:

I used a pair of Rode NT1-A for several years because my local music store had them at their biannual used gear clearance, they're pretty good if a little bright. They're common enough that you should be able to find em for a good price on your local classifieds. Same with the Shure Beta 52 I have on my kick, that was a clearance purchase. As for my snare mic it's one of those $20 knockoff SM57s and I haven't gotten any complaints about it from my mixer so it's probably good enough.

Past that you don't really need anything unless you wanna get really granular with tweaking your sound. Money spent on tom mics and the time spent making sure everything is in phase would be better spent on room treatment imo.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Rascal_Rockhog posted:

IMHO kick, snare and overhead mics are more important than tom mics, so I would maybe wait with buying those.

I’m definitely ok with getting a room sound and focus on kick/snare. I’ll def check out used gear. I really didn’t want to mess with a bunch of cheap clip on Tom mics for what I’m doing.

New New Fresh posted:

Past that you don't really need anything unless you wanna get really granular with tweaking your sound. Money spent on tom mics and the time spent making sure everything is in phase would be better spent on room treatment imo.

Room treatment is something else I’ve thought about. I don’t have budget for acoustic panels and I’m renting this house so I’m looking into other ways. There’s not much in this room right so need to get something in here to absorb all this bouncing sound.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I don't know a ton about drum mics but Drum Center of Portsmouth consistently gets some of the best kit sounds on Youtube. This video may be helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRt1u_Yqyr0&t=28s

Drumeo is also incredible at micing their drums.

https://www.drumeo.com/beat/the-ultimate-guide-to-buying-drum-mics/

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Mozi posted:

I ended up getting that Meinl 'cajon bongo'.

Pretty cool! Not too big, very lightweight, sounds fine. Also functions as a table in and of itself when not in use :p

My favorite cajon example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWa6gVunVLE

New New Fresh
May 26, 2013

I Might Be Adam posted:

Room treatment is something else I’ve thought about. I don’t have budget for acoustic panels and I’m renting this house so I’m looking into other ways. There’s not much in this room right so need to get something in here to absorb all this bouncing sound.

It's kinda expensive but I used one of these with their sound blanket behind the kit to make there be one less hard surface when I was at my buddy's place for a bit last year.
https://vocalboothtogo.com/product/voice-over-flextee-stand/
https://vocalboothtogo.com/product/sound-blanket-producers-choice-with-grommets-solid-black/

Found out about em from rdavidr, his video shows a more permanent installation but basically they'll deaden the room a good amount and with an air gap will prevent some leakage outside the room too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMs1Z_K8cR8

I got lucky that they happened to have a b-stock stand at the time I was looking. A slightly different solution I'm trying for my home studio is to use just a bunch of decently thick curtains to do the same thing but I haven't gotten around to putting them up yet.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Hi Thread. I recently started learning to play drums. I've been playing guitar and related string instruments (bass, ukulele, banjo) off an on for 27 years. I am terrible at that, too.
I bought a Simmons SD1250 kit a few weeks ago and have been practicing 30-90 minutes a day. I'm using the Stick Control book and another similar book for rock drumming. I also signed up for a month-to-month subscription to Drumeo and that's been very helpful as well.
Most of my practice has been focused on snare drum drills, timing and playing to metronome, and limb independence.
Anyways, I'm loving it.

Edit: I've added a small carpet for the whole area since taking these pictures.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Nice. Might I suggest you raise your hi hat and level it out? It looks squished in there next to your snare. You want to easily be able to play the bow and edge.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
You are right, it was too low. I readjusted everything just this past weekend after getting it on carpet.

The daily practice helped with figuring out better positioning.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

TotalLossBrain posted:

Hi Thread. I recently started learning to play drums. I've been playing guitar and related string instruments (bass, ukulele, banjo) off an on for 27 years. I am terrible at that, too.
I bought a Simmons SD1250 kit a few weeks ago and have been practicing 30-90 minutes a day. I'm using the Stick Control book and another similar book for rock drumming. I also signed up for a month-to-month subscription to Drumeo and that's been very helpful as well.
Most of my practice has been focused on snare drum drills, timing and playing to metronome, and limb independence.
Anyways, I'm loving it.

Godspeed! Sounds like you're doing all the right things for a beginner. You get extra credit for Stick Control, that's that goood poo poo.

The only thing I don't see in your regimen is any real-time feedback from an instructor (Drumeo is just videos, right? Not a 2-way street?) Not to say you absolutely must have that to learn because clearly you don't, but it can be helpful to have a pro watch you play and give feedback to make sure you're not developing any harmful techniques that could prevent you from going further in the future. Or worse, injure you! Examples would be things like locking your wrists when you play, clenching up your shoulders at faster speeds, letting your fingers come off the sticks...that sort of thing.

Do you have any goals with your playing? Working your way up to being able to play a particular song, getting good enough to play in front of people? Third thing?

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

TotalLossBrain posted:

Anyways, I'm loving it.

welcome to the e-kit family, sounds like you're doing the right poo poo

make sure you're not just doing exercises and are actually playing along to music too, and bonus points for playing music you'd actually listen to!

e: i've recorded some drum covers but the quality is absolute dogshit from using a combination of an iRig, a phone, and a PS4. i'd like to get something better for recording these, is there a go-to for a nice camera in the ~$1000 range anyone could recommend?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Great question about goals! I had to think about it for a minute.
I'd like to be able to play along to songs/backing tracks just as hobby & stress reliever. Two of my kids play instruments, so I'd also like to be able to play with them eventually.
I'd probably record my own multi-track covers as well, sometime in the future.
It's nothing but a hobby. I am never going to gig or play for anyone else.

Re: teacher feedback. I am only now starting to look into it. My busy schedule and social anxiety work hard against me, but I do know that feedback from a live teacher is best.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

welp, after a long hiatus I appear to be back on my VST bullshit

got EZDrummer 2 hooked to my TD-27 and while it's not perfect in terms of mapping and settings, the sounds are just so gorgeous that it's hard not to lug my laptop down whenever I want to play. In fact it's making me play *more* because it just sounds so good. And VSTs are pretty drat easy these days - it's just a USB cord into the laptop and EZD is standalone.

the sounds aren't as punchy and immediate as Roland stock sounds, which is definitely a Roland "thing" that they value. But playing perfectly recorded real samples is worth the tradeoff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Hey drum thread. Does anyone here have experience with mounting a digital drumpads style device like a Yamaha DTX12M or Roland SPD-SX on top of a regular snare stand instead of getting specialized clamps?

Asking because I have a Yamaha DTX12M, and I would really like to make more use of it along with the pedals I have. GAS is doing it's best to whisper in my ear that if I set it up in a more drum-like position I would absolutely start to play it more and use it to track some "real" drums for the material I am working on now.