Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: symbolic)
best year for Youtube AMVs?
This poll is closed.
2005 38 25.68%
2006 20 13.51%
2007 19 12.84%
2008 16 10.81%
2009 15 10.14%
2010 1 0.68%
2011 9 6.08%
2012 6 4.05%
2013 2 1.35%
2014 3 2.03%
2015 0 0%
2016 1 0.68%
2017 0 0%
2018 0 0%
2019 0 0%
2020 1 0.68%
2021 1 0.68%
2022 16 10.81%
Total: 148 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
. . . ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
all the creators like the berserk author and dude from rick and morty etc are fuckin freaks

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

cool, man

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
appleseed was kinda boring so im watching arakawa under the bridge instead

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
smokadumbass

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbj5EI0yfug

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Bummed cause the DIY show barely has any DIY in it

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Buschmaki posted:

Sorry about the 200 word essay no sane person would want to read, my Winter break is almost over and I'm entering the last semester of undergrad 😎👍
I enjoyed it.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Humans are pattern-seekers by nature, so even lacking the (presumed necessary) cultural context to decode a work of art, there's usually something we can translate for ourselves. But just because we can understand some things doesn't mean we understand all things, or even most things, which is where preaching a universal human experience proves difficult. Complicating things further is our tendency to use these patterns to identify singular, overarching patterns we use to interpret everything, forcing it to fit within the narrow confines we've defined for ourselves. This is especially common when we try to understand the past, both our own and others.

Communication is always possible, and some things translate more easily than others, even across language and cultural barriers, but we shouldn't presume those barriers aren't real just because they can be overcome.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Western anime fans in particular love to interpret Japanese works through a Western lens (which, if you ascribe to Death of the Author, is their right), only to get really mad when Japanese creators and fans don't share their specifically Western interpretation.

"Humans everywhere are all the same," I say, confident that I and the people who share my life experience are uniquely qualified to identify what facets of the human experience are universal.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

SmokaDustbowl posted:

all the fans for rick and morty etc are fuckin freaks

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

verbal enema posted:

is norigami good

It's ok but I'm not kidding when I say kamisama kiss is better. I guess it doesn't have much in the way of action but it has much more conflict. the romance elements are better and the anime is better produced.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-n...cr_facebook_aot

Attack on Titan The Final Season Part 3 will be split in two parts.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

you seriously can't make this poo poo up anymore

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Attack on Titan Part 3 Part 1.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Eh, since both parts are coming out this year that's alright by me.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Attack on Titan The Final Season Returns Redux The Last Chapter Finale Royale

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

lol at final season final part part 1

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Lmfao

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Shinjobi posted:

Attack on Titan The Final Season Returns Redux The Last Chapter Finale Royale

Star Wars Dark Forces 4: Jedi Knight 3: Jedi Outcast 2: Jedi Academy

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Waffleman_ posted:

lol. there's no way the attack on titan anime will finish in 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Didn’t the manga finish a while ago? Why are they dragging this out so much?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

money?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I imagine it's production time more than anything else since MAPPA have a billion projects going on.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The AOT studio is pretty infamously overburdened, so while I haven't been watching it these are almost certainly production issues, not stretching things out. There was also just a really big gap between two of the seasons to begin with so it was always gonna end a good while after the manga.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

As the patient anime-liker I'll happily wait as long as it takes for the AoT anime to finish up :cheerdoge:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I shan't be watching that rear end in either case.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ok

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Larry Parrish posted:

I shan't be watching that rear end in either case.

Eyes up here, Larry

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

SmokaDustbowl posted:

all the creators like the berserk author and dude from rick and morty etc are fuckin freaks

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I like talking about things I enjoy, like 80s and 90s slice of life where I get fashion ideas

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Stussy

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Stussy

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
It's frickin "Stüssy"....

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

broke: soyface guy pointing & hooting and hollering at STUSSY
woke: me researching where to get the plain yet aesthetic ROSE GRAY t-shirt on .jp sites

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

im the broke guy for this one sorry

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Ah man, watching a (story focused, grind skipping) LP finally now for Kingdom Hearts Dark Road, I missed this kinda of story so much.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Bad Seafood posted:

Humans are pattern-seekers by nature, so even lacking the (presumed necessary) cultural context to decode a work of art, there's usually something we can translate for ourselves. But just because we can understand some things doesn't mean we understand all things, or even most things, which is where preaching a universal human experience proves difficult. Complicating things further is our tendency to use these patterns to identify singular, overarching patterns we use to interpret everything, forcing it to fit within the narrow confines we've defined for ourselves. This is especially common when we try to understand the past, both our own and others.

Communication is always possible, and some things translate more easily than others, even across language and cultural barriers, but we shouldn't presume those barriers aren't real just because they can be overcome.

There are some things that I would say are sufficiently abstract and irreducible to be considered universal to humanity as it has existed hereto. We're born, we die, our existence is separate from others, we get hungry and driven by that hunger, we have limited resources but unlimited desires, we want things we don't/can't have, it can be more personally efficient to take resources someone else has already gathered than it is to gather them yourself, etc. Different cultures can assign different moral weights and approaches to those situations, but the situations themselves arise fairly directly from our physicality and limited existence. A lot of the core of Japanese humor is "desire makes people idiots", which I would say translates well across a wide variety of cultures, and there would need to be a fairly intensive explanation for why it wouldn't work for some hypothetical culture.