Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

A kid just posted in our neighborhood Facebook page about some high school fundraiser and I immediately thought of this thread.

His name? Jayvith

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

There was a Gandalf Skywalker in my daughter’s kindergarten class last year. The family moved away over the summer. Presumably to either Valinor or Dagobah.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

2022 list

Not accepted (asterisk denotes a newborn name):

Ahdin - compressor (as in a thing you attach to an automobile motor to make more vroom)

Aicksar*

Alfred's daughter

Amnell*

Annatar - feminine form of Anna, which is in itself already a female name (by law, don't @ me I didn't write the name law) OK apparently it's a loving Lord of the Rings name

Appelsiinikki* - Orangeeny (orange as in the fruit, not the colour)

Azazel

Buddha

Caladrius

Eklander* - established surname

Ellé*

Ephimachius*

Felín*

Filipecki*

Haades - Hades

Jezebel*

johannes - Johannes but with a small j

Juhoha - Juho is a cromulent name

Julma-Hurtta - Cruel-Hound

Kaaos* - Chaos

Kallen-Kallela - allusion to Akseli Gallen-Kallela (born Axel Gallén)

Klapi - a piece of chopped firewood

Koivuniitty* - Birch Meadow, established surname

Kukurtaja* - thing that kukurs or kukurts. There is no verb kukurtaa in Finnish so :shrug:

Lord

Lucifer

Maï

Mielivalta - arbitrary rule, literally "mind might"

Nat8hquhs*

Nex

Otawa* - Otava means the Big Dipper

Paperi - paper

Pelekkä - Onoly (as in only but misspelled)

Punpuli - Pumpuli means cotton

Puukko Armo - Traditional Finnish Knife Mercy

Raivomieli - Ragemind

Rikia*

Rody's son*

Rosmo* - Rosvo means thief or robber, rosmo is a common childish variant

samsam

Saturnius*

Sheikki* - Sheik

Sorína* - Murmur

Suudelmitar* - Kissette (from suudelma "kiss" and suffix "-tar" that makes it feminine)

Taawi* - Taavi is a cromulent name

Tanyá - Tanja is a cromulent name

Tsygä - bicycle in Eastern dialects

Tuoni - Death

Uakke

Uhka - Threat

Ukonvaaja* - Geezer's Stake (actually Ukko is a proper name for an old god so Ukko's Stake) i.e. fulgurite or stone-age tool later used as a magic amulet or some such poo poo

Wiiru - Viiru means stripe, dunno if it's a cromulent name

Åriz* - No comment but Å is a Swedish O in case you didn't know. The only Finnish word to use it is ångström

Accepted (ditto):

Aamuntähti - Morning'sstar (not Morningstar, that's Aamutähti)

Aarnik

Anoo - Begs

Arsitar* - Arsi is a cromulent men's name, -tar makes it feminine. Maybe arsi means something but I can't be arsed to Google it

Avreno

Bobandy

Ellandar

Feeni - Phene, or Fenian

Heito

Häkä - Carbon Monoxide

Juhania* - Juhani and Juhana are cromulent men's names. I'm assuming this is a girl's name.

Kide-Pilvi - Crystal-Cloud

Kimara - Cocktail, Mixed Drink (I'm assuming from Χίμαιρα)

Konon

Korppi - Raven

Lapitar - Lappish Woman

Lourences

Messis*

Mieli - Mind

Niittu* - Archaic spelling of niitty i.e. meadow

Petäjä - some sort of pine tree. Should not have been accepted as it's an established surname but what do I know.

Piamon

Pihlajanmarjukka - Rowan'sberrette (diminutive form[ish] of pihlajanmarja i.e. rowan berry - Pihlaja and Marja are both common women's names)

Pihlamo*

Poolo - Polo

Pöly - Dust

Sanervatar - who loving knows

Saturnus

Sjöbjörn* - Sea Bear in Swedish

Taide - Art

Torspo - Originally Finnish Manufacturer of Ice-Sporting Goods (original brand name was Toronto), also used as a bad name (as in "vitun torspo" is roughly equivalent to "loving idiot")

Unikonsiemen - Poppy Seed

Wâânutamwee* - :confused:

Yennefer

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 13:41 on Jan 19, 2023

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Wâânutamwee* - :confused:

Looks like a bastardization of a Native American name/word.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Samovar posted:

Looks like a bastardization of a Native American name/word.

Maybe one or both parents are Native American :shrug:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

3D Megadoodoo posted:

2022 list

Not accepted (asterisk denotes a newborn name):

Ahdin - compressor (as in a thing you attach to an automobile motor to make more vroom)

Any country that won't let you name your kid "Supercharger" can go to hell

Qtamo
Oct 7, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Petäjä - some sort of pine tree. Should not have been accepted as it's an established surname but what do I know.

Nah, was rightfully accepted. The naming law states that a name can't be a first name if it's "obviously of a surname type", and there's no ban on existing surnames being given as first names. Petäjälä and Petäjäinen would've both been denied, but considering that Petäjä means, as you stated, pine, it's perfectly within the law. This is pretty typical with names that refer to natural places and phenomena. One recentish example is Joki (river), which has been a surname for ages but only got accepted as a first name a few years ago iirc. Of course there's also the more ancient examples such as Koivu (birch), Salo (a type of forest), Nurmi (grass) and Mäki (hill), though I'm not whether the first name or last name existed first. The last two haven't been in recent use as first names but have been used recently enough that it's possible for the persons to still be alive, so it'd be pretty interesting to see if they'd be accepted. I think they should, as they both have similar surname suffixes (Nurminen/Nurmela, Mäkinen/Mäkelä).

quote:

Sanervatar - who loving knows

Seems to be a old Finnish folklore deity/spirit, which is pretty common with the -tar endings. There's a shitload of these regionally.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Qtamo posted:

Seems to be a old Finnish folklore deity/spirit, which is pretty common with the -tar endings. There's a shitload of these regionally.

lol nerd

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

A name I feel you must be very careful with, "Niga" (40 something y/o white lady)

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Marcade posted:

A name I feel you must be very careful with, "Niga" (40 something y/o white lady)

So how the gently caress is that supposed to be pronounced?

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

I only saw it in print, no idea.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Probably with a drawn out i, sounding like "Neega* to an anglophone. I'm imagining the same pronunciation as the Swedish word "niga", meaning curtsy.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Why would you name your daughter Curtsy in the first place? Do they have a son named Kowtow or some poo poo?

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

In the "yes, we want our child's name misspelled their entire life" category, "Mersaideez"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

mersaideez nutz

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I was listening to some podcasts which covered smallpox vaccination, which, of course, could not help but mention the person who popularized Turkish innoculation methods to Europe, Mary Wortley Montagu.

Her history is pretty interesting, however relevant to this thread was when one of the podcasts mentioned the name of her would-be betrothed, a man who's name is so ridiculous, Roald Dahl would say is sounds too stupid:

Clotworthy Skeffington.

Queen Gnome
Jul 30, 2006

Her Lawnliness
Have a 4 year old I teach (esl) who is always talking about her brother, whose name she insists is Doi.

Yeah it's Roy.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Japanese? I understand that the Japanese d and r are very close.

Queen Gnome
Jul 30, 2006

Her Lawnliness
Edit: I repeated myself again

Queen Gnome has a new favorite as of 23:39 on Feb 15, 2023

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Have you mentioned that itt before, or is there another Japanese kid with a brother called Roy ?

Queen Gnome
Jul 30, 2006

Her Lawnliness

Lady Disdain posted:

Have you mentioned that itt before, or is there another Japanese kid with a brother called Roy ?

Oh God I have an awful memory so yes, I probably mentioned that before.

:eng99:

My bad.

Queen Gnome
Jul 30, 2006

Her Lawnliness
Edit: repeated myself. Yep.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
No worries; just checking my mind wasn't playing tricks on me.

I know(-ish) a woman who had to be talked out of naming her twins Theo and Teo, which their French-speaking father pronounced identically.
I also know a kid called Haley, whose French father can't pronounced the initial /h/ sound, so he just calls her "ma princesse" because the mum insists that "her name's Haley, not Aley" so he doesn't bother.
And back when I was an ignorant wee wean (but still definitely old enough to know better), I didn't realise that the name Arthur also existed in other languages, and asked my mum why our friends would name their child Arthur if his German dad couldn't even pronounce it correctly.

Queen Gnome
Jul 30, 2006

Her Lawnliness
Oof the mom not letting him say his daughters name with his accent sucks. That seems like something to test before choosing a name :cripes:

Then again, I have two students named after the main characters from Death Note and I didn't even notice until a year in, so maybe I'm not good for name advice.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I occasionally wonder how many fandom-y names I'm missing because I'm unfamiliar with the fandom.
D'you reckon the parents are disappointed every time someone fails to acknowledge that their child is named after the best character from the best [piece of media] ever ?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lady Disdain posted:

I occasionally wonder how many fandom-y names I'm missing because I'm unfamiliar with the fandom.
D'you reckon the parents are disappointed every time someone fails to acknowledge that their child is named after the best character from the best [piece of media] ever ?

"Oh Flexnes is six and baby Aki-Turo will turn two next week!"

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Did you know two Hitlers served in the Union Army during the Civil War? One of them was Adam Hitler of the 16th Massachusetts Infantry, who died in Annapolis in October 1862.

The other was Christ Hitler of the 1st Missouri Regiment of the US Reserve Corps. Yep, his name is listed as Christ Hitler. Somewhat disappointingly, this wasn't his actual name. His real name was Christian Hittler and he was born in Karlsruhe to father Christian Hittler (making him Christian Hittler, Jr.) and mother Marie Schmuck. So he was half Hittler, half Schmuck. He survived the war and died in St. Louis in 1883, presumably a proud Schmuck-Hittler to the end.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Did you know two Hitlers served in the Union Army during the Civil War? One of them was Adam Hitler of the 16th Massachusetts Infantry, who died in Annapolis in October 1862.

The other was Christ Hitler of the 1st Missouri Regiment of the US Reserve Corps. Yep, his name is listed as Christ Hitler. Somewhat disappointingly, this wasn't his actual name. His real name was Christian Hittler and he was born in Karlsruhe to father Christian Hittler (making him Christian Hittler, Jr.) and mother Marie Schmuck. So he was half Hittler, half Schmuck. He survived the war and died in St. Louis in 1883, presumably a proud Schmuck-Hittler to the end.

Christ, what a ½Shmuck.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Oh, and the name of Christian Hittler's wife? Maria Eva Hittler.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

So he was half Hittler, half Schmuck. He survived the war and died in St. Louis in 1883, presumably a proud Schmuck-Hittler to the end.

Somebody call Mel Brooks, he doesn't have much time left to make a civil war movie

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I'm sure this thread has talked about Dr. Gay Hitler and his father George Washington Hitler before.

https://www.circlevilleherald.com/news/hitlers-were-county-pioneers/article_2a6487b2-a34a-55f4-83f4-dfcf116d15d5.html

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Today I had a Rooky, and three (3) un-related "Namename"s (think Jimbob), all born within 3 years of one another in the early '60s.

Also, google says that there is a man named Jim Bob Cooter (American football-adjacent), which is the most cartoon-hillbilly name I've heard in a while.

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.
watched an episode of dateline on serial rapist/murderer ynobe matthews, and it wasn't until i was laying in bed later that night that i realized the rear end in a top hat's name is "ebony" backwards.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Apparently there is an literal actual human being on earth named General Booty. Wow.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

YeahTubaMike posted:

Apparently there is an literal actual human being on earth named General Booty. Wow.

And selling a full variety of Booty merchandise.

The name wasn't as good, but the situation was. Several years ago, a gentleman named Chris Smelley played quarterback for South Carolina. For you non-sporting/non-American sporting people, South Carolina has a nickname of Gamecocks.

Thus, there were shirts that read: My Cock is Smelley

I thought about this thread earlier today when I came across someone named Dick Weed in 1930s track results.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
The billing company my job uses is on "Collections Center Drive", so we get calls all the time from people who think they've been sent to collections. It's so stupid.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Three people on my list of 20-odd today had the middle name Gay or Gai.

And I think Marie/Maree is the most common women's name (first or middle name) I've seen at this job, which I find quite surprising. Although, I do see a lot of old people, so I guess that increases the chances.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I came across someone with the name Aeriahna on Facebook. That might be the first time I saw a name other than Caitlin with a totally out-there spelling.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

It's been over 10 years since MegaZone graced us with his presence.

megazone posted:

Indeed, my name is MegaZone. Has been since April 12, 2000. It has worked well for me in life. ;-)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

quote:

Emma Finestone, a stone tool expert at the Cleveland Museum of Natural History, says this new research is interesting to keep in mind when thinking about the first use of stone tools in human history.