Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Is anyone else playing Vengeful Guardian: Moonrider? It's a retro cyberpunk Ninja Gaiden Shinobi-like that came out a few days ago and it's been pretty cool so far. I've put a couple hours in and it seems like a fairly breezy 3-5 hour game altogether with some nice Genesis-era visuals and just enough of a challenge to not get too frustrating. Not amazing, but really solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Still stuck in La-Mulana 2.

This is the closest I've come to wanting to use a guide. I keep opening google and then closing it. I'm still enjoying it, and impressed I've gotten this far on my own, but I've just been circling the drain on this one specific puzzle for like ten hours now, half-solving other puzzles around it I can't actually complete until I punch through this one.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Is it just me or are Necromunda: Hired Gun’s gamepad controls pretty, or possibly very bad? Aiming feels loose and button choice seems poor (like binding dash to a stick click).

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Cowcaster posted:

i like the windows 95 mahjong where you match the pairs on the pyramids

i didnt even know this wasnt really mahjong for years lol

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Artelier posted:

Astlibra, chapter 6 onwards, is absolutely brutal what a spike

The game's difficulty is a huge sine wave. You'll spend 80% of the game holding right or left and attacking, and 20% of the game wishing for more save points and wanting the creator to do this fight with a gun to his head.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

Is anyone else playing Vengeful Guardian: Moonrider? It's a retro cyberpunk Ninja Gaiden Shinobi-like that came out a few days ago and it's been pretty cool so far. I've put a couple hours in and it seems like a fairly breezy 3-5 hour game altogether with some nice Genesis-era visuals and just enough of a challenge to not get too frustrating. Not amazing, but really solid.
I have it on my wishlist but the dev's previous game (Blazing Chrome) was on Gamepass so I'm wondering if this will pop up there at some point. the eternal indie purchasing dilemma...

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it looks like extremely my poo poo but also i just picked up cyber shadow in the christmas sale and haven't even touched that yet

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I use WizTree to see the size of everything I have installed.

Thanks for reminding me to do a wiztree scan. Turns out FFXIV was still taking up about 56 gigs even though I'd uninstalled it weeks ago.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Rinkles posted:

Is it just me or are Necromunda: Hired Gun’s gamepad controls pretty, or possibly very bad? Aiming feels loose and button choice seems poor (like binding dash to a stick click).

The game is made by what might be a collection of mad French A.I.s trained on sleep deprivation. The controls are ok on M+KB and I think it's very fun, but it's tied together with chewing gum and reclamation plant amasec.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Hey are my Steam achievements good for anything? Are there websites that do interesting things with them? I sometimes go to astats.nl and look at like how rare my achievements are or whatever but I have thousands and wish they uhhh... I don't even know. They just feel like something I have a weird urge to pursue but after gaining an achievement I immediately don't give a poo poo.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

You can showcase the rare ones on your steam profile if you want. There's no reason to pursue them other than your own personal enjoyment of completing an achievement though so don't kill yourself trying to collect them if it does nothing for you.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I like them for reminiscing, sometimes they offer some insight into your past gamer self

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Steam achievements never really meant much to me because it's pretty easy to unlock them through illegitimate means. Not that Playstation trophies really mean much to me either but I at least enjoy them as secondary goals followed by a little Sony-signed certificate of completion for certain games I like. To this day I've never 100%ed a game on Steam. I've come close with Dragon's Dogma though, I've already done all the hardest achievements and basically just need to play it a second time to get the rest. Maybe I'll do that some day.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Okay, wait, here's a better way of phrasing what I'm looking for: are there websites that do neat things with these achievements? Makes neat graphs or aggregates the data in fun ways, something like that?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

credburn posted:

Hey are my Steam achievements good for anything? Are there websites that do interesting things with them? I sometimes go to astats.nl and look at like how rare my achievements are or whatever but I have thousands and wish they uhhh... I don't even know. They just feel like something I have a weird urge to pursue but after gaining an achievement I immediately don't give a poo poo.

the cool achievements are the ones that give you a little nudge to complete optional side challenge, like "collect every spell in the game", or "beat level 3 with only a sword" or whatever
i dont think anyone on earth has ever cared about the achievements for poo poo like "beat the game" or "kill 10 enemies! congrats!"

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Game developers can use those achievements to see how many players are reaching certain milestones.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
yeah cheeves that measure general progression through the game are nice to have imo, just ideally also mixed in with more interesting ones too

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

They're meant to make you laugh when you complete the earliest, most basic milestone in a game and find out you're one of only 30% of players.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

They're meant to make you laugh when you complete the earliest, most basic milestone in a game and find out you're one of only 30% of players.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
My rarest achievement is for not purchasing upgrades in the final level of the Overload (a Descentlike?), because I did not know I could purchase upgrades in the final level.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

credburn posted:

Okay, wait, here's a better way of phrasing what I'm looking for: are there websites that do neat things with these achievements? Makes neat graphs or aggregates the data in fun ways, something like that?

https://www.achievementstats.com/index.php?action=search is pretty nice.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

It's fun to look at the global stats for achievements, both to see how many people have not even booted a game or played it for an hour (usually a good 1/3 of all owners), or seeing how people chose in games with meaningful choices.

Pentiment has achievements for each person you can accuse of the murders, so you can easily see which are the most popular choices.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Kanfy posted:

I'm a little curious which mahjong rules you find contradictory, some of the point calculation stuff can be kinda arcane but it's not super relevant unless you're digging real deep into it. I did also learn mahjong from Yakuza, and ended up liking it enough that I played a whole bunch of it online afterwards. It's fun! Bullshit at times just like most games of that nature, but fun!

Maybe contradictory is putting it harshly, but it has to do with what is considered a winning hand, particularly if your hand is open which reduces what you can actually win with to a specific subsubset of hands. Which is the main reason why I consider melding to be a trap unless you explicitly know what hand you want to go for or you already have it (like a triplet of a dragon, seat wind, or round wind)

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
There should be a way to grade achievement rarity on a curve of how popular a game is. My rarest achievements are for Marvel Heroes (RIP) which nobody seemed to bother with during its Steam release.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I don't understand it when choice-based narrative games don't even show an endscreen breakdown of how many players chose what. How am I going to feel morally superior to everyone if I can't even see how many people were on my side?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

exquisite tea posted:

I don't understand it when choice-based narrative games don't even show an endscreen breakdown of how many players chose what. How am I going to feel morally superior to everyone if I can't even see how many people were on my side?

keep that multiplayer poo poo outta my singleplayer games tia

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I never needed validation for my decision to go ride-or-die with Chloe

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

That's a given but can you believe there are people who kissed freakin WARREN, I'm not even mad I just wanna talk honest.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

exquisite tea posted:

That's a given but can you believe there are people who kissed freakin WARREN, I'm not even mad I just wanna talk honest.

Be nice, their brain hasn't wrinkled yet

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Should just go silly with the achievements, Civilization 6 comes to mind.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

credburn posted:

My rarest achievement is for not purchasing upgrades in the final level of the Overload (a Descentlike?), because I did not know I could purchase upgrades in the final level.

Overload rules. Not because of that achievement, just in general.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Tiny Timbs posted:

:hai: Honestly the town had it coming.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

That one's the obvious right answer but I still had to think for a minute.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
I burst out laughing when an achievement notice popped up when I died less than a minute into a loop in The Outer Wilds.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Lunsku posted:

Agree. Hearts of Iron 4 has my favorite set of achievements and they mostly encourage you to try funny, interesting, or challenging things in the game.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Lunsku posted:

IIRC Civ V has one where you have to nuke someone in 2012 as the Mayans.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Rinkles posted:

Yeah it kinda sucks. It's really a keyboard and mouse game, expects pretty tight aiming too which is a lot harder on gamepad, which is why I ended up returning it after playing a few levels.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
My rarest achievements are from playing Baldur's Gate: Dragonspear as an evil after everyone else played it before they released achievements.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

All of my rarest achievements still come from that surprisingly really good survival mode DLC they patched into Rise of the Tomb Raider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Begemot posted:

It's fun to look at the global stats for achievements, both to see how many people have not even booted a game

steam only tracks achievement completion percentages of people who have launched the game once actually, all those people who haven't even gotten a tutorial cheevo basically launched the game and closed it without playing.