Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Is there a multiplayer thread? In my multiplayer game when people are joining its about 7-10 minutes while "Initializing game" is this something that people have managed to improve by one means or another?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

I've had that happen in single player since the last patch a few times. I'm not sure it's a multiplayer specific thing if it's only happened to you recently.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
It's possibly only tangentially related, but has anyone checked out Knights of Honor II: Sovereign? Seems like my cup of tea but the proof would be more in the pudding.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Had a Haesteinn run that resulted in forming the Roman Empire. I cheated a little bit to get the title itself for RP value, but otherwise it was a very uncheesed playthrough.

I kept Asatru all the way through, made myself the head of faith and chose the Communion doctrine which was an exceptionally lucrative idea. I'm sitting on 2.5m dukets right now. Catholicism is a dead religion.

My "cheat" was to quickly use the console to give myself the Roman culture to unlock the restore decision and then snap back to my previous culture before forming a new hybrid culture with Greek to get access to those sweet Byzantine bonuses. I figure this is fine, the dude found himself the head of the Byzantines, had destroyed the Papacy and Christendom at large and somehow held the ancient Imperial borders.

Getting Arabia and Africa was pretty neat. I was exceptionally lucky to find claimants who would come to my court and agree to converting.

Decided to rename the empire from Roman to Valland as I read somewhere that was the word the Norsemen used to describe Rome. A fun time, but I think it'll kill CK for me for a little bit.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I love how I'm constantly getting secrets for Secret Lover and bastard children.

Like my dude, I have 4 concubines and can't even get any more, since when do I give a poo poo?

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

I caught myself having an affair with my wife. The game gave me the option to imprison myself. If I wasn't scared of losing an achievement run on ironman I would have clicked it to see what happens.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Nobody Interesting posted:

Had a Haesteinn run that resulted in forming the Roman Empire. I cheated a little bit to get the title itself for RP value, but otherwise it was a very uncheesed playthrough.

I kept Asatru all the way through, made myself the head of faith and chose the Communion doctrine which was an exceptionally lucrative idea. I'm sitting on 2.5m dukets right now. Catholicism is a dead religion.

My "cheat" was to quickly use the console to give myself the Roman culture to unlock the restore decision and then snap back to my previous culture before forming a new hybrid culture with Greek to get access to those sweet Byzantine bonuses. I figure this is fine, the dude found himself the head of the Byzantines, had destroyed the Papacy and Christendom at large and somehow held the ancient Imperial borders.

Getting Arabia and Africa was pretty neat. I was exceptionally lucky to find claimants who would come to my court and agree to converting.

Decided to rename the empire from Roman to Valland as I read somewhere that was the word the Norsemen used to describe Rome. A fun time, but I think it'll kill CK for me for a little bit.

Destroying the papacy as a Roman is incredibly satisfying

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Fired this up for the first time in a while, starting as Infanta Urraca. Immediately got pregnant from my secret lover, my brother. Attempted to abort the baby, as seemed most fitting for a zealous Catholic who is secretly a wild rear end sinner. My abortion medicine killed me.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Geez, I don’t think over ever had an “abort the baby” event pop up.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Bird in a Blender posted:

Geez, I don’t think over ever had an “abort the baby” event pop up.

It's an option you get if you are pregnant with a baby from a lover while married, might only be in cultures where bastards/infidelity are a problem? But yeah men get the claim the baby or don't option, women get the acknowledge the father, don't, or drink the wise woman's brew option. I did not realize it could kill you though!

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
I made a thing.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4021059

Please check it out.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Just managed to speed run gently caress Up Bavaria 860 (or whatever the early start is). I was Duke of Bavaria, and when dad died, partition law made me King of Bavaria. Things were looking good, and then my son was ganked and I mishandled a “your brother should be king” faction and resultant war. I died from stress shortly after surrendering that war, and within five years my dumbass grandson (me now) was a 2 demesne count with an empty court and 250 debt, and a failed suicidal attempt.

What a shambles lmao. I really leaned into the role playing to make decisions rather than meta gaming to make decisions. Very fun, would recommend failsonning

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

yo i just started playing this game and it’s like confusing crack

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

git apologist posted:

its alotta fun

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

git apologist posted:

It’ll click soon enough, don’t worry.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

git apologist posted:

My own experience is that the viking factions play way less confusingly than anyone else. Trying to be seductive Spaniard or whatever is way more weird than just being a sea king with some strong carls.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i blasted through the irish scenario and it was pretty easy to grab the kingdom of ireland, but now I am chipping away at scotland by fabricating claims, and it’s annoying you can’t declare war for ALL your claims in one go (afaik). after a bit of reading i’m gonna try and grab a courtier or marry someone or something that has a claim to the king title rather than going county by county. or something?

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

git apologist posted:

i blasted through the irish scenario and it was pretty easy to grab the kingdom of ireland, but now I am chipping away at scotland by fabricating claims, and it’s annoying you can’t declare war for ALL your claims in one go (afaik). after a bit of reading i’m gonna try and grab a courtier or marry someone or something that has a claim to the king title rather than going county by county. or something?

You unlock a technology for that, but yeah inviting someone, landing them and pressing their claim is a guaranteed way to gain that territory. Bear in mind that they need to be a lower rank thank you, a king cannot be the vassal of another king. The easiest way is to just marry your heir to one of their heirs, and your grandchild who you hopefull play as will have a claim on that title

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

git apologist posted:

The innovation to declare war for all claims comes fairly late in the game. CK3 is one of those games that things get easier as the game goes on, especially if you are way ahead on innovations compared to other cultures. As mentioned above, be really careful when you declare war using someone else's claims. If you're a king, and using someone else's claim on a kingdom title then they become independent. If you're an emperor, then you can use kingdom level claims and they become your vassal. Same thing if you're only a duke, a duchy level claim from someone else means they become independent, and so on.

Keep in mind with this game that you will screw up, probably a lot. That's ok, just use all those screw ups to learn how it's played and how to avoid it in the future.

I actually put this game down for a couple months, but came back and started a Daura game in Africa. Bori is a great religion, witchcraft, deviancy, homosexuality all accepted, equal gender relations. Seeking the Aid of Spirits is kind of crappy though only because it costs so much money, and sometimes you end up with a bad trait anyway.

Bird in a Blender fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jan 12, 2023

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Just found out that with one of the recent patches they got rid of the explicit exception for the Duchy of Verona that let them start with and keep Seniority succession from 867. That was such a nice feature that I was planning on using for a game where I stayed as an unreformed tribal. I guess it's back to the old standby of the Duchy of Bohemia + Czech culture/descendent.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

binge crotching posted:

Just found out that with one of the recent patches they got rid of the explicit exception for the Duchy of Verona that let them start with and keep Seniority succession from 867. That was such a nice feature that I was planning on using for a game where I stayed as an unreformed tribal. I guess it's back to the old standby of the Duchy of Bohemia + Czech culture/descendent.

yeah it was part of patch 1.5... I miss having a super fast and easy tribal house seniority T.T
It was especially fun since tribals can't have cadet branches so you got these huge houses as part of your succession

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
The release pace for CKIII expansion content seems super slow. Seems like they could make a mint by cranking out different culture packs and mini updates the way that Stellaris does. As it is it seems like the game isn't getting a whole lot of love from the developers.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
No sons of Abraham sequel, no Byz DLC, no republics coming up on 2 1/2 years since release. I would guess if the first incorporates some form of the investiture controversy (and great schism for the earlier start) that might take awhile, but it’s been so long now. Still waiting on a way to create and maintain theocratic vassals.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

A recent dev diary alluded to how hard it was to work in the pandemic. Pretty sure covid hit them hard.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
There is a new short dev diary, it has teaser image of a bridge that should give some hints in relation to the next major expansion

More importantly, there is a poll regarding next minor event pack

There are 3 options:

quote:

Potential Event Pack Themes:

Wards & Wardens
Take a deep dive into what being a child in the Middle Ages was actually like, and explore what guardianship meant in practical terms. Wards & Wardens would feature events revolving around childhood, being a guardian, children at court, and more.

Love & Lust
Let your love life take the reins! While lovers and spouses take on a larger role in Love & Lust, explore events related to more intimate relationships, expanded seduction, married life, and more.

Villains & Vagabonds
Leverage your fearsome reputation and learn what it truly means to be dreaded. Villains & Vagabonds will feature events embracing the consequences and opportunities of being a tyrant, while considering contrasting themes of fairness and honor.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jan 17, 2023

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Pleasantly surprised wards is winning. Easily the part least fleshed out.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Really hope it includes regencies

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Buschmaki posted:

Really hope it includes regencies
It's only event pack, so I doubt it will contain new mechanics - like regency.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Veryslightlymad posted:

Pleasantly surprised wards is winning. Easily the part least fleshed out.

Yup that's my vote. I'd like to see all three of course but this is the one most needed.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Another event pack? imo this game is in need of a real expansion

edit: I wish I could vote on Wards and Villains

Dec 30, 2008
They said that this event pack will come out between the expansion they're currently working on and the next large project they have planned. So this is probably the way going forward, big expansions broken up by these quick and easy event packs.

I get the impression they're moving away from the culture specific dlcs which is kind of a bummer but honestly after the Iberia dlc I can't blame them. That whole struggle system was a mess and if they keep adding more of these region specific mechanics to the game it's going to turn into a bloated patchwork of confusing systems. Better to take a more holistic approach with their expansions and what they add to the game.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Guest posted:

They said that this event pack will come out between the expansion they're currently working on and the next large project they have planned. So this is probably the way going forward, big expansions broken up by these quick and easy event packs.

I get the impression they're moving away from the culture specific dlcs which is kind of a bummer but honestly after the Iberia dlc I can't blame them. That whole struggle system was a mess and if they keep adding more of these region specific mechanics to the game it's going to turn into a bloated patchwork of confusing systems. Better to take a more holistic approach with their expansions and what they add to the game.

What I feel this game needs most is some variety in gameplay. In CK2 we had christian, muslim, republics, nomads, tribals, etc which all played differently, with mixed results, for sure, but still they did offer different gameplay experiences.

In CK3 so far we have feudal christian and tribal norse and everything else (including muslim with that boring clan government) is just a blander version of these 2. But I agree that what they did with Iberia is definetly not the right way to address that

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I think it’s a little awkward that they’re doing character/RP focused large expansions that affect the entire map, then one-off flavor packs to actually update the strategy part of the game. Idk how they eventually square that whole thing.

But the game continues to be very well reviewed and consistently played so I guess it’s working for them.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Dwesa posted:

It's only event pack, so I doubt it will contain new mechanics - like regency.

IIRC Friends and Foes brought in the feud and memories mechanics, so there's at least POTENTIAL for something like regency in a childhood-focused EP (but it would be a huge surprise)

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
I didn't expect the norse to be overpowered for this long so I hope they pick up the pace a bit.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Intellectually I GET that dev pace is behind where it would otherwise be because of the pandemic and because 3D assets/environments are a lot more time-intensive (see also: why all the total conversion mods have taken so long) but it would definitely be nice for the good bones I saw on this iteration of the game to be bulking up a little faster.

on the other hand it's also nice to have time to play, like, other things or, hell, maybe even live an adult life

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

CK3 is one of the few games I was obsessed over to the point of losing sleep. :shobon: (The other two recent games being Caves of Qud and Dwarf Fortress - I think I just really like RNG story simulators.) I definitely wish they had a bit of a faster pace for development. But I'm also one of those people more than willing to pony up some $ for more events and costumes and other stuff like that so.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Clocks posted:

CK3 is one of the few games I was obsessed over to the point of losing sleep. :shobon: (The other two recent games being Caves of Qud and Dwarf Fortress - I think I just really like RNG story simulators.) I definitely wish they had a bit of a faster pace for development. But I'm also one of those people more than willing to pony up some $ for more events and costumes and other stuff like that so.

Caves of Qud ftw

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Is there an easy way to set it up so a grandson is a primary heir if your culture (Norse) has High Tribal Authority?

Scenario: my current character is getting old and I have the titles, or all the necessary lands to form titles, on about 8 kingdoms. I have a bunch of useless sons, but one decent son and an even better grandson.

I can form an Empire, and I planned on doing so and then making the grandson the inheritor but I can't think of a good way to do so. The plan is to designate him as heir, and then grant almost all of my other titles to him before I die making GBS threads myself in bed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I don't think it'll let you designate him as heir, but you can do it with Elective for sure.