Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

A Bakers Cousin posted:

hmmmmmm seems like a good afordable starter place

$360,000 1 bd 1 ba 520 sqft

i couldnt find this one, its in colorado?

this one is cozy but for $215k i assume its in the boonies
https://www.coloproperty.com/listing/details/401616464

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

A Bakers Cousin posted:

So there doesnt appear to be ....any counter space?

It is a 1 bed. You, the single occupant of that apartment, are supposed to be eating out, not at home like some loser.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

i couldnt find this one, its in colorado?

this one is cozy but for $215k i assume its in the boonies
https://www.coloproperty.com/listing/details/401616464

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1111-Maxwell-Ave-APT-109-Boulder-CO-80304/13237316_zpid/

edit: using boulder is cheating tbqh

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Hubbert posted:

this forum taught me that cooking at home is both classist and ableist so I support this kitchen configuration

On the other hand, you can make pizza at home using a few simple ingredients

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

https://twitter.com/zillowgonewild/status/1614406448129114113

Put your computer room in the vault so nobody can ever stop you from gaming

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

This seems cheap for a FLW-designed home but if it's like his others then the inside is a wreck by now. Outside's pretty, though.

And lol at the property taxes mentioned in the kicker.

quote:

Oak Park home that is an early design by Frank Lloyd Wright listed for $595,000

A three-bedroom, 2,064-square-foot house in Oak Park that is an early design by architect Frank Lloyd Wright is on the market for $595,000.

Built in 1898 and known as the George Smith Home, the shingle-style house on Home Avenue was listed in December for $770,000, and already has undergone two price reductions first to $629,900 and now to $595,000. The home has been owned by the same family for more than six decades and has not been on the market during that entire time.

The house was built for Smith, who was a salesperson for Marshall Field & Co. Listing agent Catherine Cannon told Elite Street that the inside needs work, but it has high ceilings, spacious rooms and nice delivery from room to room. She also noted that the district in which the house is located ensures that its exterior is protected. As such, the home cant be demolished.

Its not the norm of a Frank Lloyd Wright house thats a Prairie-style home, Cannon said. But its bright, sunny and cheery, with big rooms, and its got a great floor plan. And it has beautiful bands around the room, with high baseboards, woodwork and Roman-style brick on the fireplace and the inlaid floor.

Cannon told Elite Street that the house now is priced to sell, and that its an ideal project for someone looking to renovate a historic home.

When they finish everything, I think its going to be a real showstopper, she predicted.

The house has 1 bathrooms, a large fireplace in the living room, 10-foot ceilings on the first floor, a wood staircase and a sunroom.

The home had a $16,568 property tax bill in the 2021 tax year.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

interior = wreck confirmed, from the one inside pic on the listing.

lmao, a teardown that can't be torn down.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Downtown Boulder? I would buy that in a heartbeat.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Willa Rogers posted:

It looks nice

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

A Bakers Cousin posted:

So there doesnt appear to be ....any counter space?

you know the apple bowl can be removed right

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Willa Rogers posted:

This seems cheap for a FLW-designed home but if it's like his others then the inside is a wreck by now. Outside's pretty, though.

And lol at the property taxes mentioned in the kicker.

This home got some attention in local news. It's a disaster. At least $90k to get it to habitable status and that's just habitable. If you wanted to restore it to deserved glory you're looking at another mid-six figgies.

Yet, again, it's an OG Wright. His homes are national treasures and when they go on sale it's a special moment.

Last year I saw a standard cookie cutter four-square that ought to have also been a tear down list for 695k and sold just a smidge under, at the same degree of disrepair, in Evanston. This house missed that market by a hair and lol.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Hubbert posted:

this forum taught me that cooking at home is both classist and ableist so I support this kitchen configuration

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

There was a punk band here in the nineties called Frank Lloyd Wrong

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

quote:

[Advice] Did I buy at the top of a House Bubble? What to do?

Had to relocate for work to Atlanta in 2022. Housing market was extremely hot but we did not want to rent due to a prior bad experience. After 30 offers on other homes, we ended up purchasing a 5 year old, 4 bd 3,000 sq ft home for $515,000 @ 5% interest. Its in a subdivision with amenities and in a good school district.

Unfortunately, today a similar sized 4 bd home four houses down, which started on the market a year ago at $525,000, dropped their price today to $445,000. What?!?

That quickly has my home lost 14% of its value? We plan to live here for maybe 5 years min, 10-15 max, and while I dont see my house as a liquid asset, this is making me anxious. I feel like this is 2008-09 again where I now own an asset which wont increase in value for a decade.

Any tips for how to soften the blow and maybe control the things I can control?

-Mortgage rates are still above 5% so refi is not an option IMO. -Do we limit or cancel our annual budget for upgrades work we do to the house if theres low potential to see an ROI?

Thanks

idk have you tried living in your loving house and not treating it like a stock portfolio

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
People like that are why it's so easy to trick homeowners into giving up their homes if the market so much as cools by a few degrees. There's nothing you can do about your home's value going down. Nothing. Anything you do except just living in your loving house and paying your mortgage will end up costing you more money, which is why it's extremely dumb to view your home as an appreciating asset in the first place.

It's funny/frightening that so many people probably bought in over the last two years expecting that meteoric rise in home values to continue.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

People like that are why it's so easy to trick homeowners into giving up their homes if the market so much as cools by a few degrees. There's nothing you can do about your home's value going down. Nothing. Anything you do except just living in your loving house and paying your mortgage will end up costing you more money, which is why it's extremely dumb to view your home as an appreciating asset in the first place.

It's funny/frightening that so many people probably bought in over the last two years expecting that meteoric rise in home values to continue.

um excuse me but i need my home to keep appreciating in value otherwise i cant continue using my heloc to make the margin calls on my 10x levered nft calls

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

The Oldest Man posted:

um excuse me but i need my home to keep appreciating in value otherwise i cant continue using my heloc to make the margin calls on my 10x levered nft calls

thoughts and prayers in these challenging times

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

The Oldest Man posted:

It isn't just dumb people YOLO'ing money into scams. The appreciation of housing prices is an article of faith. You're supposed to buy a starter home you can barely afford as young as possible so that you can ride that appreciation up for 5-10 years and then use that money to purchase another house when you want to/accidentally have kids. Before someone comes in to say "but purchasing is forced savings," 86% of the money homeowners accumulate in the first 10 years comes from price appreciation. The housing market simply does not function as most people expect without large, fast appreciation.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

MickeyFinn posted:

It isn't just dumb people YOLO'ing money into scams. The appreciation of housing prices is an article of faith. You're supposed to buy a starter home you can barely afford as young as possible so that you can ride that appreciation up for 5-10 years and then use that money to purchase another house when you want to/accidentally have kids. Before someone comes in to say "but purchasing is forced savings," 86% of the money homeowners accumulate in the first 10 years comes from price appreciation. The housing market simply does not function as most people expect without large, fast appreciation.

This is the really notable part:

quote:

Over a 10-year period, home prices have increased 7.9% annually, a stronger appreciation compared to the 4.2% annual price pace in the past 30 years.4

Recent gains were never going to hold up. They were never sustainable, even in the context of the already insane and unsustainable American housing market. I absolutely don't think a crash is in the cards, but prices will flatline and maybe even decline for a while in a lot of markets if rates hold steady or increase.

People who bought in with the intent to ride appreciation into larger homes are almost certainly going to be very disappointed for a very long time.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

MickeyFinn posted:

That's the joke

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
That guy has a 4bd, 3,000sq ft home, so upgrading for more space shouldn't be a concern.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

People who bought in with the intent to ride appreciation into larger homes are almost certainly going to be very disappointed for a very long time.

The tiers were spreading apart too. the jump from a small starter or condo to a SFH with a yard and enough space for a family was growing larger than the appreciation of the low tier.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Joementum posted:

That guy has a 4bd, 3,000sq ft home, so upgrading for more space shouldn't be a concern.

the real galaxy brain is selling with appreciation to escape a climate doomed locality into a slightly less climate doomed locality

its yet another reason i refuse to participate in California real estate, no one these places are going to have water or be comfortable to live within the next 10 years

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

The Oldest Man posted:

10x? You're leaving money on the table. Real investors go 200x. Enjoy being poor.

Hey, where did all my money go?

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Id love a condo but the HOA fees are obscene, especially in towers. based on Portland area Ive seen most being priced at a lower value than pre-pandemic and not moving.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Mean Baby posted:

Id love a condo but the HOA fees are obscene, especially in towers. based on Portland area Ive seen most being priced at a lower value than pre-pandemic and not moving.

There was a notoriously hosed up building here, thrown up in the 1960s, that was facing massive special assessments and people were dumping their units left and right, under $100K for a 1br ~700sf unit.

Now they're all $300K+ despite the special assessment still being locked up in litigation, I dunno what the gently caress.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

condos seem to have a much less insane price change trend

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

never live in a condo if it's not recently built (generally that means they are not able to "catch up" with any more recently passed state legislation), and you aren't in a state that has really good association laws like I do

it's really hard to comment on specific fees though because you have no idea what it's actually paying for. Also where any of those co-ops? In that case it's way higher, but there they pay for way more poo poo, like your flooring, appliances, HVAC, etc.

When I actually broke down my fees and saw our finances (because I'm on our board now), I found that of my dues of 350/month, around 70% of that is for "current" costs, things like landscaping, shoveling, master insurance policy, water/sewer/electric gas being the biggest ones. The other 30% is to fund reserves, which is stuff we need to do in the future - we have to have everything budgeted out for 30 years. The biggest items by far here are the roofs and the asphalt.

The thing is, most of these things I would either have to pay for in a detached home, or I could do myself, but I'd prefer not to, so I would probably pay someone. And for the reserves, that's no different than saving up for major work on a house, like anything for the roof, siding, whatever. So there's really not that big of a difference. I mean we are talking about 4200/year for all my housing "maintenance" costs which seems like a pretty good deal to me. I know people who have spent more on one maintenance cost for their home than I have in 11 years living here

Also condos are small (mine is <1k SF). Very few detached homes are small because America - unless it's a really old house, which can obviously have plenty of it's own issues. I also really like having one floor. Yes there are houses like this, but it's not exactly common.

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 19:52 on Jan 17, 2023

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

incredible

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

There are condos a few streets away from me that sell for about half the cost per square foot of detached homes in this area. The complex is well over fifty years old and it's a run-down piece of poo poo, so those units just sit there despite houses right down the street flying off the market for almost a million dollars.

The combination of HOA fees and the fact that you really need to be careful with condo purchases probably does a lot to keep sales prices from accelerating to the moon.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

this is one of the few detached homes I was interested in (size + really good location), but if you check the price history it's obviously a completely overpriced flip.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4108-E-27th-St-Minneapolis-MN-55406/1977399_zpid/

Paradoxish posted:

There are condos a few streets away from me that sell for about half the cost per square foot of detached homes in this area. The complex is well over fifty years old and it's a run-down piece of poo poo, so those units just sit there despite houses right down the street flying off the market for almost a million dollars.

The combination of HOA fees and the fact that you really need to be careful with condo purchases probably does a lot to keep sales prices from accelerating to the moon.

yes if they are really high there may be special assessments. also keep in mind they scale with square footage, so it's much better for someone like me who likes small spaces. We have some units here with fees of $800. Most of these units were bought for cash though, so it's not an issue for the owners.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

isnt there different lending procedures for sfh and condos ?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

euphronius posted:

isnt there different lending procedures for sfh and condos ?

Dunno, I just got a standard mortgage.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
When I was looking to buy a few years ago, I came across this condo that was an unbelievable deal. A penthouse, 3 bedrooms, something like 1600sq, an incredible view of the city. And it was going for less than what a 2 bedroom unit on the ground floor on the building literally next door was going for. The HOA fees couldn't be that. The financials for the HOA were actually fine. It was kind of a mystery. Until I requested (against the advice of my realtor) the minutes from the last board meeting.

Turns out that the building needed:
1- to completely replace the elevators, something made more complicated by the fact that no current manufacturer made elevators the size of their current shaft.
2- The sprinkler system did not provide enough water pressure to work in the top 3 floors, and insurance said coverage could continue as long as progress was being made to fixing it (no progress was being done)
3- Insurance had just rejected an 800k claim about a water leak that fried some of the electrical systems in the building, because the leak was not an accident but lack of maintenance.

So the great deal was the owner trying to dump it quickly before the things mentioned on the meeting made their way into the how financials.

And the reason for the disrepair was pretty obvious. It was a posh building that had become really popular with rich international students, who would have their parents buy a unit there with an eye towards reselling it after 4 years. As such, they would consistently vote down any increase in HOA fees to cover reserve or long term maintenance. Once we brought this up with our realtor and our financing guy, both pretty much went "yeah, that is a trap." Of course, neither said anything before I found that out, though it seemed like both were aware. Which just highlights that in the US no one is on your side, the pressure is all on "buy buy buy, pay more"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

your realtor doesnt work for you if you are a buyer

its a total scam

one of these least ethical jobs out there.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

joepinetree posted:

When I was looking to buy a few years ago, I came across this condo that was an unbelievable deal. A penthouse, 3 bedrooms, something like 1600sq, an incredible view of the city. And it was going for less than what a 2 bedroom unit on the ground floor on the building literally next door was going for. The HOA fees couldn't be that. The financials for the HOA were actually fine. It was kind of a mystery. Until I requested (against the advice of my realtor) the minutes from the last board meeting.

Turns out that the building needed:
1- to completely replace the elevators, something made more complicated by the fact that no current manufacturer made elevators the size of their current shaft.
2- The sprinkler system did not provide enough water pressure to work in the top 3 floors, and insurance said coverage could continue as long as progress was being made to fixing it (no progress was being done)
3- Insurance had just rejected an 800k claim about a water leak that fried some of the electrical systems in the building, because the leak was not an accident but lack of maintenance.

So the great deal was the owner trying to dump it quickly before the things mentioned on the meeting made their way into the how financials.

And the reason for the disrepair was pretty obvious. It was a posh building that had become really popular with rich international students, who would have their parents buy a unit there with an eye towards reselling it after 4 years. As such, they would consistently vote down any increase in HOA fees to cover reserve or long term maintenance. Once we brought this up with our realtor and our financing guy, both pretty much went "yeah, that is a trap." Of course, neither said anything before I found that out, though it seemed like both were aware. Which just highlights that in the US no one is on your side, the pressure is all on "buy buy buy, pay more"

in my state (MN), if you buy a condo or townhome, you legally are required to have all the documents relating to the association, it's finances, etc. provided to you. If you see anything you don't like, you can literally back out within either 14 or 21 days with zero penalty.

Also there are lawyers that work specifically in association law (we have one on retainer). It's worth paying one to look all that over if you are interested in purchasing.

I think smaller is better. The less complicated the building, the better. There are some condos in st paul that are basically 100+ year old buildings on summit ave (the most well known and wealthiest street) that have been converted into 4-6 condos. they usually don't have much of their own "yard," they never have elevators, all sorts of other poo poo that can break. I think those are the best, personally. My condo only has three floors and 15 units, which is nice.

happy to answer an questions about associations if you are for some reason interested

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

how much is your retainer ?? why would you pay a retainer ?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Willa Rogers posted:

Friend of mine had a place in oak park with a terrible garage that was originally a carriage house thing. He wasn't allowed to knock it down, but the sizing was wrong for modern cars, so it was just a shed that constantly needed repairs from being 140 years old. One of the reasons he gave up and sold

Frankly the ptax on that wright home isn't bad, said friend is paying over 30k ptax now on a house he got for about the same price the wright house was initially listed at

Condo sales are presumably going to rebound in this new interest rate era. For a decade, that 400/mo maintenance fee for a no frills walkup condo worked out to like 100k more house you could afford on a mortgage payment. Its a lot less now

All the people I know who bought in 2009-2013 really did make a killing, it's weird how much prices shot up in that period , flatlined for 5 years, then spiked again. Then again I know someone who bought in 10 and sold for a 20% loss in 17 because he chose an area that ended up becoming "worse"

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 20:11 on Jan 17, 2023

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

actionjackson posted:

this is one of the few detached homes I was interested in (size + really good location), but if you check the price history it's obviously a completely overpriced flip.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4108-E-27th-St-Minneapolis-MN-55406/1977399_zpid/

$345/sq ft, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
$345/sq foot in......... Minneapolis! :staredog:

Two thirds of all growth in wealth going to the top 1% has been just really really fine