Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Does anyone airbrush in a small-ish room? If so what do you do for ventilation? My understanding is lacquer like Mr Color requires a lot of ventilation and space so that's probably entirely out. Would a relatively small unit like https://tinyurl.com/yyf7658w or DIY equivalent be suitable for it or should I consider using acrylics? The main thing attracting me to Mr Color is that they just straight-up have a line of "yeah this is all for Gunpla and we labelled everything for you to keep it simple".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Not that it would require much different ventilation, but acrylics are really just as simple to work with. There's a Vallejo Mecha Color line that's similarly geared towards palm sized robots.

I prefer lacquer for some things (priming, Mr Crystal Color, Mr Metal Color) but use acrylics for basically everything else. Acrylics make it easier to do more involved chipping effects too since they're water soluble.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Are metal builds worth it? They're not really snap build models, right? They're just 1/100 figures with die cast metal parts.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Marx Headroom posted:

Not that it would require much different ventilation, but acrylics are really just as simple to work with. There's a Vallejo Mecha Color line that's similarly geared towards palm sized robots.

I prefer lacquer for some things (priming, Mr Crystal Color, Mr Metal Color) but use acrylics for basically everything else. Acrylics make it easier to do more involved chipping effects too since they're water soluble.
Oh hey that does make things a poo poo-load simpler, thanks! If I'm going to be mixing paint types like you mentioned there (so like a lacquer primer, then regular acrylic for everything else) I would want to have a layer of topcoat between them to protect them from each other right?

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009
Acrylic should sit on lacquer (after curing for a few days) just fine, and even be removed by thinners without damaging the lacquer, going the other way can be problematic though.

Vallejo mecha has a decent enough line of primer colours too.

occluded
Oct 31, 2012

Sandals: Become the means to create A JUST SOCIETY

Fun Shoe

holy poo poo, MG aerial??? Or is this a british site making stuff up?

https://www.1001hobbies.co.uk/assembling-model-kits/584725-bandai-88253-witch-from-mercury-gundam-aerial-1-100-4573102650900.html

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

That's the Full Mechanics, not an MG.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Pierson posted:

Does anyone airbrush in a small-ish room? If so what do you do for ventilation? My understanding is lacquer like Mr Color requires a lot of ventilation and space so that's probably entirely out. Would a relatively small unit like https://tinyurl.com/yyf7658w or DIY equivalent be suitable for it or should I consider using acrylics? The main thing attracting me to Mr Color is that they just straight-up have a line of "yeah this is all for Gunpla and we labelled everything for you to keep it simple".

I used to have a redneck spray booth I made out of an old plastic storage bin and a bathroom vent fan which was... serviceable.

I now have a booth my wife bought for me last Father's Day with it's own ventilation. Not sure the exact model but it's similar to this one:
https://www.amazon.com/VIVOHOME-Portable-Airbrush-Lights-Filter/dp/B07X9M35VJ/

I have my painting desk by the window and just need to route the exhaust through a crack in the window and go to town. I also make sure to wear a respirator when I'm painting with lacquer or any clear coat.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

SnakesRevenge posted:

I now have a booth my wife bought for me last Father's Day with it's own ventilation. Not sure the exact model but it's similar to this one:
https://www.amazon.com/VIVOHOME-Portable-Airbrush-Lights-Filter/dp/B07X9M35VJ/

Thanks! That's more or less exactly the ones I was looking at yeah, it seems like that's a fairly standard template a half-dozen companies copy from and stick up on Amazon. I've noticed that happens with the AS-186 compressor a lot of gunpla/model sites recommend too.

I'm very quickly learning you get the quality you pay for with this hobby 'cause geez there's a lot of crap off-brand equipment you can get and it's absolute dogshit.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

How can you tell if you have a bootleg? I ordered a kit from Japan via eBay that got here in a day and a half to Miami and something about how fast it was makes me think this dude lives a block away and is peddling aliexpress poo poo if that's a thing in this hobby.

This is what I bought:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/295454238452?nma=true&si=sJKV0FQ5nkrMKcm4hgsnyQIIjUs%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I don't have the box with me but the manual for mine looks identical. How much was the shipping, could have just been airmail.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

If the box isn't fully colored it's usually a p bandai kit.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

^^ yep its a p-bandai kit

when i was a kid i bought a bootleg eva unit 01 kit and instead of BANDAI it said BENDI

this looks legit though congratulations on your lightning fast shipping. if it was DHL they use teleportation technology i'm p sure

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I took a look at my Gold Frame Amatsu Hana box and manual and it looks the same from what I can tell

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

FedEx mustve learned the art of DHL

Thanks guys

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/32_Archangel/status/1613160234335469569

boz
Oct 16, 2005

I feel I need to make something like this for my daughter. Right now she loves building the pokemon kits and watching me build.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Finished my first HG. Well, technically half of it I guess (since it has both a Gundam and a Zaku).

It was definitely more time consuming than the EGs I'd been building. That said, my in depth thoughts on it.

There's things the EGs did that I liked better than the HG. The number one thing was eyes. Eyes are so much better on the EGs, as they're clear colored plastic you snap on top of the face plate which gives the eyes a cool look, and is also way easier than fiddling with stickers. Seriously, gently caress stickers. The diamond piece on the antenna is also significantly better on the EGs, as it actually has a peg and a hole to insert it into. This kit the diamond piece is just a clip, and it doesn't stick, meaning it falls off if you jostle it. I'll have to get some glue and just glue it on. This is admittedly an older kit (2010) so maybe newer kits do what the EGs do and have it actually attach.

The polycaps felt very slick/slimy and that made it difficult to deal with them, sometimes it was tough to actually place them where they needed to go. No joke, on the very first step it took me fifteen minutes to do the first thing which was place a polycap into the top of the leg part. It just kept sliding around so it wouldn't go straight in.

The posing and movement feels way better on the HG. This is probably due to the polycaps since the EGs are just plastic ball in plastic joint which makes them feel a bit rougher to manipulate, the HG feels very smooth to manipulate by comparison.

Finally, I was kind of excited at first when I realized that there was a little Core Fighter included, but after building it I soured on it.

Again, I know this is an older kit, but it still looks really bad. I have to wonder why it's included. I joked that maybe they purposely made it look bad to push people into painting, someone else said it was to say "Hey, imagine how much better the RG will look!" I can't deny that on some level I do sort of want to paint it so it looks not half assed, but that's a road I"m not willing to go down yet (if at all).

Overall it was a lot of fun, and I look forward to doing more HG kits. I got an entire Zaku to build now to finish this kit off and I'm pretty stoked. Zakus are super cool. Then I'll have to figure out what kit to do next.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Twelve by Pies posted:

Again, I know this is an older kit, but it still looks really bad. I have to wonder why it's included. I joked that maybe they purposely made it look bad to push people into painting, someone else said it was to say "Hey, imagine how much better the RG will look!" I can't deny that on some level I do sort of want to paint it so it looks not half assed, but that's a road I"m not willing to go down yet (if at all).

Overall it was a lot of fun, and I look forward to doing more HG kits. I got an entire Zaku to build now to finish this kit off and I'm pretty stoked. Zakus are super cool. Then I'll have to figure out what kit to do next.
Until very very recently, single color 'needs paint' style accessories were just standard fare for HGs. Yall latecomers are dang spoiled with the current state of Gunpla. Go build yourself a nice early 2000's kit and we can talk low effort accessories :v:

Joking aside , the EGs are a lot better than early HGs though I find the all hard plastic style joints can be kind of a pain for posing.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I didn't have that much problem with stickers on the 7 HG I did last year and the 1 rg, but I used tweezers and braced my arms on the desk like when I'm doing miniature painting, so that probably helps

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

Moai Ou posted:

My backlog lives in my closet and shames me every morning.

I got bit by P-Bandai FOMO bad when the US shop hit. I can't even remember what the last non-exclusive kit I bought was. AND I still have like 10 other things on pre-order. I did vow not to buy any more until I get this down to a manageable level because I cannot fit any more unbuilt kits in there. There's a lot of new stuff I want (Big O, RG GaoGaiGar, RG Zeong, etc.) but, yeah, not right now. I don't want the jokey term "plastic crack" to be serious for me.

If it makes you feel any better, My mum's husband likes building Army models, and his backlog looks a little something like this.

This is the larger part of it, but he also has a couple of storage tubs with unboxed kits that we brought home from Japan about 12 years ago that he still hasnt got round to doing...

I started taking gunpla more seriously around september last year, and now have about 12 kits I have bought that are waiting to be built, including a PG 00 Raiser which I have owned since 2011... Always been a bit terrified of it honestly!

FiftySeven fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jan 12, 2023

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Skios posted:

I preordered it here.

Awesome. They have a lot of stuff the other stores were having issues with!

SnakesRevenge posted:

For this I like to use a melamine sponge (magic eraser) to rough the area back up, it matches pretty well with the surface kits come with.

Tin Tim posted:

Try a sanding tool (paper/stick/sponge) in 2k or 2.5k grit. The thing about a lot of glass files is that they have a very high grit count (10k+) which will make surfaces glossy/shiny eventually

:hmmyes: magic eraser acquired. The toolkit hungers. The toolkit grows.

Currently looking into the whole tamiya panel line / enamel process. I wish I could airbrush the protective layer(top coat?) on but I have one room to do it all in and don't want to expose my cat to fumes. I just wanna make the parts ever so slightly less pristine, if that makes sense.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Mindblast posted:

Currently looking into the whole tamiya panel line / enamel process. I wish I could airbrush the protective layer(top coat?) on but I have one room to do it all in and don't want to expose my cat to fumes. I just wanna make the parts ever so slightly less pristine, if that makes sense.
You sound like you're in the same situation as me and I keep a window open as I'm spraying, leave the window open once I'm done, and if I did 2-3 coats I just leave the room for 10-15 mins and let a draught blow out the last fumes. There's a small noticeable smell for a few mins but no headaches or other ill-effects.

Edit; oh you mentioned a cat, my bad. Is the cat amenable to treats to bribe it out of the room?

Pierson fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 12, 2023

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Moai Ou posted:

My backlog lives in my closet and shames me every morning.

I got bit by P-Bandai FOMO bad when the US shop hit. I can't even remember what the last non-exclusive kit I bought was. AND I still have like 10 other things on pre-order. I did vow not to buy any more until I get this down to a manageable level because I cannot fit any more unbuilt kits in there. There's a lot of new stuff I want (Big O, RG GaoGaiGar, RG Zeong, etc.) but, yeah, not right now. I don't want the jokey term "plastic crack" to be serious for me.

I got seven pg's in my backlog, along with a 1/35 sinanju bust, so I feel ya.

.... Although I see you have the mg barbatos expansion pack. I'll buy the parts needed to make the first form if you're willing.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Pierson posted:

You sound like you're in the same situation as me and I keep a window open as I'm spraying, leave the window open once I'm done, and if I did 2-3 coats I just leave the room for 10-15 mins and let a draught blow out the last fumes. There's a small noticeable smell for a few mins but no headaches or other ill-effects.

Edit; oh you mentioned a cat, my bad. Is the cat amenable to treats to bribe it out of the room?

Haha im sure I could lure him out the room but that means I have to trap him inside a small room for a bit.

But then again if its just a short time it would be an option. Hmm.

Do you just need a top coat if you're working with panel liners and enamel thinner?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Twelve by Pies posted:

Seriously, gently caress stickers.

Overall it was a lot of fun, and I look forward to doing more HG kits.

Never do anything with a sticker that you could do with a marker. That's why I have five Gundam Markers and 36 ultrafine Sharpies. I don't have a problem, I have tools.

e. HG kits are cool and fun. They're (relatively) cheap enough to experiment on, have some of the more obscure MS, and are good practice for techniques you'll need for MG and RG kits.

Except for the glue. RG kits always need a couple of pieces glued instead of snap fit, far more than HGs in my experience.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Mindblast posted:

Haha im sure I could lure him out the room but that means I have to trap him inside a small room for a bit.

But then again if its just a short time it would be an option. Hmm.

Do you just need a top coat if you're working with panel liners and enamel thinner?
My understanding is that for tamiya panel liner and thinner/cleaner you want to use a gloss topcoat first to protect the plastic and give the liner a better surface, get your lining and stickers/decals done, and then a matte topcoat after to seal it all in. I've using a Gundam ultra-fine marker for my Barbatos and my Alteisen but can't really say I'm a fan. I've got some panel liner and cleaner on the way myself for kits I care more about.

Yeah stickers are a real bitch, especially the ones that try to fold up/down over edges and flats, they always look cheap as hell. Considering a pack of Gundam markers myself.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

If I’m doing waterslides I want to go waterslides>gloss>lining>flat, right?

And is it generally best to do this before assembly? I have only tried sealing and lining after building the kit and the spraying kinda sucks

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Snowy posted:

If I’m doing waterslides I want to go waterslides>gloss>lining>flat, right?

And is it generally best to do this before assembly? I have only tried sealing and lining after building the kit and the spraying kinda sucks

I usually do
Gloss> lining>waterslides>flat

Lining can be messy depending on what you're using, like a wash. If you put the waterslides on first, some of the wash may accidentally go on the decal. I usually, panel line individual pieces and then assemble, then put on the waterslides when it's fully built, or at least something like the whole arm is done, then I do the flat coat.

Also rewatching some episodes of Witch and I want a MG of like all of these designs so bad you guys. The show just hit out of the park with these ms designs.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

IG-88 posted:

#5 - HG 35 - GUNDAM AGE-1 GULL GLANSA [AGE-1G] - 5057390

#6 - MG - MS-06R-1A ZAKU II - 5063572

Things I learned/hosed up while doing building my first MG.

1.) Do not have a glass of water near your work space. I spilled some and lost about 4-6 decals.
2.) I hosed up the order of things: I did the lining, stickers, clear coat then flat coat. I realized much too late that the clear coat goes first before all the panel lining and stickers/decals.
3.) I bought an action base 2 for this thing. Should've bought an action base 1.
4.) I think I actually like putting decals on. Please just give me decals instead of stickers.

So, next up will be an HG so I can use this built base I have already.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Surprised to find that the Rick Dom 1.5 comes with a small sheet of waterslides.

(50 bucks on Amazon RN — https://www.amazon.com/Mobile-Gunda...ps%2C142&sr=8-1)

Arc Hammer posted:

Is the Dom 1.5 worth it? Modern parts over old engineering?

Maybe? Dom is one of my favs so any upgrade is good IMO, but if I hadn’t snagged ‘em at a discount I probably would have waited a lot longer to buy.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 16, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Arc Hammer posted:

honestly no, the old hands seem way better

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

I made one and it didn't feel old, but it definitely felt overpriced.
I would say buy one if you can find one 20% off. Which doesn't seem hard, all the stores around here put them on discount all the time.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

War and Pieces posted:

the old hands seem way better

Agree with this, but the rest of the improvements are nice. It is a bit spendy for mutton-dressed-as-lamb, though.

It may be a moot point, I doubt the older ones will be reissued much from here on out.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 16, 2023

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

30MM doing a set of just mono eyes

https://twitter.com/30mmissions/status/1614911603790737410?s=20&t=-O3Mm0saGPvhxOQR69MCYg

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Looking at their Twitter as a mistake, as it made me drop a quick last-minute preorder on a pair of the Large Cannon Arm sets... :shepspends:

Gonna double up on the cannons for a duel-wielding loadout on the over-boostered Rabiot I've got half-finished (Waiting on another run, or a lucky find, of the big Space Booster engine pack :argh:), and the other set of arms is gonna go on my big winged Ciel Nova with the pair of the bigass swords to make it look like it's got a bit more swinging reach and arm strength.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!
Finished yet another EG Grandpa yesterday. I really like the way the green came out (all colors are mica powders mixed with clear)

I also made a low-effort display at work

Fake edit: I did realize that I left the head piece with the camera and emblem on the runner last night, I'll need to get it painted and snapped in later this week.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Gripweed posted:

30MM doing a set of just mono eyes
Sweet now do a set that's only plugs for the holes you don't use!

By now I've found ways to plug them myself with a consistent look but still :colbert:

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Yeah that mica stuff looks sick!