Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

although it is obfuscatory and extremely dishonest, i regret to inform you that "cyclist who collided with a car was a woman and she died" is, in fact, written in the active voice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

in fact actually using the passive voice - "the cyclist was struck by a car and killed" - would be a significant improvement

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

if anything it is their efforts to try to write it in an active voice while maintaining "neutrality" that lead it to be a confusing, victim-blaming disaster of a headline

lobster shirt posted:

in fact actually using the passive voice - "the cyclist was struck by a car and killed" - would be a significant improvement

exactly

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Motorist nearly hit a pedestrian crossing the road yesterday at a yet to be opened signalized crossing, went crying to the news and got an entire article in a national paper about how traumatizing it was for her to have to slam the brakes on, and how difficult it's going to be for other motorists once the crossing is in use

These car freaks are insane

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

lobster shirt posted:

although it is obfuscatory and extremely dishonest, i regret to inform you that "cyclist who collided with a car was a woman and she died" is, in fact, written in the active voice

I think "passive voice" has taken on a sort of colloquialism where it's no longer referring to the precise grammatical construction, but merely just the exculpatory tone of the writing

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Mister Speaker posted:

Thank you duomo for finding the article. Infuriating. Honestly, what is with the passive voice in journalism? Is it out of some toxic desire to maintain 'impartiality' above all else, indoctrinated into journalism students by their dinosaur professors? Are the editors in the pocket of some nefarious lobbying interests, like police unions or car companies? It's mind-boggling that more people don't see right through this sort of language.

look at the lengths news outlets will go to obfuscate the story whenever cops kill someone. these cases are telling because they show who has protective structures built around them, culturally and semantically and legally, to defend them from being held responsible for their actions

it's probably inaccurate to trace it all back to one particular thing, but the day AAA managed to make the made-up fantasy crime 'jaywalking' into the law of the land was definitely a portent of what was to come: the concept of streets as public space essentially disappeared that day, and from then on if a driver kills you it's generally your own fault, not theirs

by now everything from insurance to licensing to the city and state governments in charge of roads all kinda depend on that fiction, and these newspaper headlines are just downstream reflections of the idea that the traffic must flow

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think "passive voice" has taken on a sort of colloquialism where it's no longer referring to the precise grammatical construction, but merely just the exculpatory tone of the writing

The passivity in the voice is in its water carrying for the status quo

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
‘Motonormativity’: Britons more accepting of driving-related risk

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jan/17/motonormativity-britons-more-accepting-driving-related-risk?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Based on this study - this is a thread about it by one of the authors.

https://twitter.com/ianwalker/status/1615248156186247169?t=2w6o4k_qmV9LN6MmHfBXcQ&s=19

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I apologize in advance to Americans in this thread for feelings of rage this post may cause, but the new bicycle storage in Amsterdam just dropped

https://twitter.com/BicycleDutch/status/1615037853951758336

https://twitter.com/fietsprofessor/status/1614217606080204800

Highlights:
It took 4 years to build
It has room for 6300 bikes
And an additional 700 shared bikes (OV-fiets, 'public transportation bikes')
It's always free to use for the first 24 hours
It's located next to the main railway station of Amsterdam
It's loving underwater

Oh, on the other side of the railway station another storage for 4000 bikes will be opened a few weeks later.

This means the current, above-ground storage can be removed. The space will be used for:
Broader cycling lanes
Bigger tram stops
More trees
More water

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

imagine drowning to death in an underground bicycle storage facility when something goes wrong

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Martian posted:

It's loving underwater
So do I have to hold my breath and hope for the best or do they provide SCUBA gear?

I think a lot of American cities have unintended ride share bike storage underwater, too, thanks to people having an unusual hate boner for them :(

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Spergin Morlock posted:

imagine drowning to death in an underground bicycle storage facility when something goes wrong

yeah the Dutch might want to read up on climate change a lil

mystes
May 31, 2006

Spergin Morlock posted:

That's the ideal way to go if you're posting in this thread imo

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
drowning to death in an underground bike parking facility sounds like a dream come true

Anyways, I've seen Daylight(1996) enough times to know how to deal with these circumstances

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Spergin Morlock posted:

I would simply choose to swim against the surging water current by using the powerful thigh muscles attained by cycling everywhere

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

https://www.wpxi.com/news/local/crews-respond-train-versus-pedestrian-incident-fayette-county/XGWZHGPSLBEI5MSKW7R6MOFAWU/

Crews respond to train versus pedestrian incident in Fayette County

Apr 7, 2003

This style guide sucks

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Lol I knew carbrain was real but it's interesting to see numbers on it

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Does that bicycle station have portals in the ceiling to look at all the fishes? That's awesome.

Martian posted:

This means the current, above-ground storage can be removed. The space will be used for:
Broader cycling lanes
Bigger tram stops
More trees
More water

Hell yeah. BIG TRAM STOPS!

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Admittedly, public transportation in the Netherlands is weirdly expensive like a 90 min pass good for both the tram and metro is over 6 Euros.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Ardennes posted:

Admittedly, public transportation in the Netherlands is weirdly expensive like a 90 min pass good for both the tram and metro is over 6 Euros.

that's about the same as Switzerland for a la carte transit. but you can buy an annual Half-fare card for 180 francs and point-to-point subscriptions are way more reasonable. are Dutch residents paying that full 6 Euro fare often?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

webcams for christ posted:

that's about the same as Switzerland for a la carte transit. but you can buy an annual Half-fare card for 180 francs and point-to-point subscriptions are way more reasonable. are Dutch residents paying that full 6 Euro fare often?

There is a discount on train service but I don’t know about public transit. I have friends in the Netherlands that constantly complain (and they don’t want to bike either).

That said, even if you had a half pass and you were still paying 6 euro or so a day, it would be an additional 180 a month + the pass, not that cheap. In Moscow, I think an all inclusive pass is like $250-70 bucks a year.

Obviously, it is better than the US since most people are going to spend far more on their car.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Yeah I'm hurting pretty bad but you should see the train! I hosed. It. Up.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Ardennes posted:

There is a discount on train service but I don’t know about public transit. I have friends in the Netherlands that constantly complain (and they don’t want to bike either).

That said, even if you had a half pass and you were still paying 6 euro or so a day, it would be an additional 180 a month + the pass, not that cheap. In Moscow, I think an all inclusive pass is like $250-70 bucks a year.

Obviously, it is better than the US since most people are going to spend far more on their car.

Yeah, the Vienna pass is, or used to be, 365€. Not sure if they changed it since covid started, but seems hard to change for numerological reasons. The whole country pass is about 3€ a day? Netherlands gets ripped off.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

https://twitter.com/markvauxhall/status/1615333330802692096

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The underlying market logic of public transport has made it terribly expensive in Denmark at least. The idea is that fares should field the cost of the service, without looking at indirect effects of having working public transport. It's dumb, but very politically correct.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/1615381555295166465

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

iraqi republican guard? in my police department? its more likely than you think

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The NYPD probably has a bigger budget than the whole Iraqi military. They're the biggest police department in history's most prolific prison state, I don't think anybody even knows what their budget is anymore lmao

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

they loving perform covert intelligence operations outside the state of New York

Apr 7, 2003

Being a cop looks like it kicks so much rear end. You just beat up people you don't like all day long and they give you a Ferrari for it.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Epic High Five posted:

The NYPD probably has a bigger budget than the whole Iraqi military. They're the biggest police department in history's most prolific prison state, I don't think anybody even knows what their budget is anymore lmao

the nypd budget is indeed greater than the iraqi military budget (10.8 billion vs ~7 billion)

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i think beat cops should walk around on foot unarmed or maybe with a billy club at most and become friends with the people on their route and generally be normal people rather than driving around in monster trucks and only deploying to riddle teens with 9999999 bullets and bazooka blasts but what do i know

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
If they were a military they'd have the 29th largest budget in the world

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Smythe posted:

i think beat cops should walk around on foot unarmed or maybe with a billy club at most and become friends with the people on their route and generally be normal people rather than driving around in monster trucks and only deploying to riddle teens with 9999999 bullets and bazooka blasts but what do i know

they would still terrorize people on foot the problem with the cops is the cops

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

they would still terrorize people on foot the problem with the cops is the cops

yeah, even a bully club would still allow them to, well, bully people. better solution is for beat cops to be put in a wheelchair and wheeled on a set route through the neighborhood while restrained in some sort of gimp suit, blindfolded, with bully clubs attached to the side so that passersby can freely beat them if the need arises.

that way they can get to know something about the neighborhood and theoretically maybe help talk through disputes without endangering anyone

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The basic problem with cops is that society is set up so it needs cops on the first place. The more immediate problem is that society sees poor and black people being unbeaten and unshot as the main problem to be solved by cops.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

i know that you can make a lot in OT but it would have to be an insane amount to afford that vehicle, which is maybe 350K. or maybe they just sold their tags to the actual owner

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
serial road rage shithead

quote:

WEST HOLLYWOOD, Calif. (KABC) -- As police continue their search for a driver believed to be at the center of multiple road rage incidents across Southern California, more people are coming forward claiming they're victims of the frightening attacks that have been caught on camera.

Eyewitness News received a call from a woman overnight who said she had an encounter with the same road rage suspect while she was with her 93-year-old mother in West Hollywood back in June.

The woman, who did not want to be identified, shared photos that show the suspect and a valet driver in a physical altercation.

"The Tesla was coming into oncoming traffic," the woman later told Eyewitness News. "We confronted each other, and I said to him, 'You can make it, just keep coming slow.' And immediately, he went into some kind of psycho mode and starts screaming and motioning."

She said the Tesla driver got out of his car and threw a soda can at them, then got back in his car.

A valet worker nearby tried calming down the Tesla driver, but was instead punched in the face, the woman said.

"Boom! He just smashes him in the face," she said.

In surveillance video that shows the fight, the Tesla driver throws something at the valet work. That's when it gets physical.

"I take out my phone, I start snapping a couple of pictures. I'm trying to back out. They get into it," the woman said.

The Tesla driver backs up and is visibly angry before driving away.

The woman said she filed a police report, but she still fears for her safety.

So far, Eyewitness News has counted 10 such incidents involving the same man.

Everyone that has come forward has reported experiencing similar things: they were harassed, even chased, by a man in a dark Tesla.

The latest incident happened on Wednesday.

"I honestly did feel like he was either gonna break my windows or pull me out," another victim who did not wish to be identified told Eyewitness News.

Another woman said she ended up with a black eye after she was attacked by the man at a parking lot of the Santa Anita Mall in Arcadia in October 2021. She filed a police report.

She said he yelled at her, punched her car and then hit her. She provided photos of her black eye to Eyewitness News.

All the drivers have filed reports with law enforcement. The incidents have happened across Southern California, so different agencies are investigating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

lol

Only registered members can see post attachments!