Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: symbolic)
best year for Youtube AMVs?
This poll is closed.
2005 38 25.68%
2006 20 13.51%
2007 19 12.84%
2008 16 10.81%
2009 15 10.14%
2010 1 0.68%
2011 9 6.08%
2012 6 4.05%
2013 2 1.35%
2014 3 2.03%
2015 0 0%
2016 1 0.68%
2017 0 0%
2018 0 0%
2019 0 0%
2020 1 0.68%
2021 1 0.68%
2022 16 10.81%
Total: 148 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
For me the core of Japanese humor is agonizing puns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

I'm reminded of that great essay Shakespeare in the Bush by Laura Bohannan. Humans separated by thousands of miles and vastly divergent cultures are still more alike than they are different and yet people are still surprised when the "other" can take meaning from a work of art with zero roots in their own history.

Reading the first couple books of Plato's Republic was pretty wild when I first started diving into intellectual history.

Just an old guy talking about how his fellow old guy friends miss their children, who never visit enough, or having sex. And then some rear end in a top hat storms in and says "bro, morality is just what people in power says it is."

I've seen all this in my life, whatever other vast, vast differences there are between 21st Century America and Ancient Athens. I like to bring this up because people think philosophy is this super detached, alien garbage, when the best philosophy very much relates to our normal human experience, thoughts, and feelings.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The core of Japanese humour is people getting hit in the face and falling over

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

that seems more like global humor to me

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Exactly

kater
Nov 16, 2010

i was just thinking about the difficulties generalizing your own existence while respecting individuality and vice versa, living in a world that loves to abstract and box and how impossible that is to mesh with lived experience. does the chat thread live in my mind.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i dont think i would want to live there

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I would like to live in the world of k-on

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

k-on takes place in the real world so you already do

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Buschmaki posted:

I like talking about things I enjoy, like 80s and 90s slice of life where I get fashion ideas

Mars was one of those series I binged a decade ago when I was consuming a bunch of romance series like Bitter Virgin and Ciguatera, and while there's some nice art for the time and some moments that I think fondly back on (the motorcycle racing moments were cool), it has definitely aged horribly in a few ways that makes it hard to recommend to people, from coding a character as an antagonistic by making him gay, to :siren: Content Warning: Sexual assault :siren:a really out of nowhere scene where Rei "pretends" to try to rape Kira to get a response out of her to prove she was sexually assaulted in the past, which is 20 degrees of wtf, and then the characters never acknowledge that that happened afterwards.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Did Japanese people think denpa shounen was funny? Specifically the one where the guy gets locked in a room naked for 300 days and forced to win sweepstakes to eat.

There's another thing I don't understand about Japanese humor and it's where comedians make funny faces or scrunch themselves up and cross their eyes. On TV it makes people laugh but I always imagine it's just tatemae

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the secret is most japanese people think japanese variety tv sucks rear end too

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

gay for gacha posted:

Did Japanese people think denpa shounen was funny? Specifically the one where the guy gets locked in a room naked for 300 days and forced to win sweepstakes to eat.

There's another thing I don't understand about Japanese humor and it's where comedians make funny faces or scrunch themselves up and cross their eyes. On TV it makes people laugh but I always imagine it's just tatemae
no idea but I personally, think nasubi is very funny. its not even the meanest denpa shonen tbh

hes also, very funny, in 428 shibuya scramble

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-n...cr_facebook_aot

Attack on Titan The Final Season Part 3 will be split in two parts.

They can't keep getting away with it.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

AOT ftw though

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

homeless snail posted:

no idea but I personally, think nasubi is very funny. its not even the meanest denpa shonen tbh

hes also, very funny, in 428 shibuya scramble

I just watched it last week. At first I thought it was funny, but after the first six months I thought it was mean because nasubi was losing his mind. On the other hand the gymnast raihashounen episode where the woman gets locked in a room until she can do the Olympic bars thing felt fun and wholesome, and at least they gave her food.

The other denpa shounen that is funny is the episodes where udo and the other guy get sent to random countries and told to meet each other at the border.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

did you see the desert island one, at least nasubi had an apartment

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_xdgdWAkuM

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

homeless snail posted:

did you see the desert island one, at least nasubi had an apartment

No I just discovered these shows recently and outside of the few dvds I downloaded, and the ones on Hulu.jp I don't know where to find them. I found some more this morning on YouTube
https://youtu.be/hdXVPHKjyNs

But nothing else.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Endorph posted:

the secret is most japanese people think japanese variety tv sucks rear end too

With very few exceptions, most of it is pretty terrible.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

kinniku banzuke never hurt anyone. except for the one person they paralyzed after dropping a plaster boulder on their head

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Julias posted:

Mars was one of those series I binged a decade ago when I was consuming a bunch of romance series like Bitter Virgin and Ciguatera, and while there's some nice art for the time and some moments that I think fondly back on (the motorcycle racing moments were cool), it has definitely aged horribly in a few ways that makes it hard to recommend to people, from coding a character as an antagonistic by making him gay, to :siren: Content Warning: Sexual assault :siren:a really out of nowhere scene where Rei "pretends" to try to rape Kira to get a response out of her to prove she was sexually assaulted in the past, which is 20 degrees of wtf, and then the characters never acknowledge that that happened afterwards.

Yeah I find it hard to recommended Peach Girl to my friends for the same reason as the spoiler stuff

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Paracelsus posted:

There are some things that I would say are sufficiently abstract and irreducible to be considered universal to humanity as it has existed hereto. We're born, we die, our existence is separate from others, we get hungry and driven by that hunger, we have limited resources but unlimited desires, we want things we don't/can't have, it can be more personally efficient to take resources someone else has already gathered than it is to gather them yourself, etc. Different cultures can assign different moral weights and approaches to those situations, but the situations themselves arise fairly directly from our physicality and limited existence. A lot of the core of Japanese humor is "desire makes people idiots", which I would say translates well across a wide variety of cultures, and there would need to be a fairly intensive explanation for why it wouldn't work for some hypothetical culture.
Correct, but again, it's a matter of degrees. It's a gradient curve. There are absolutely things that can be innately or gradually understood between disperate cultures, but that doesn't mean there aren't other things that present a barrier to understanding. They can be learned eventually, yes, but different people are going to ascribe different diminishing returns to the process of acquiring that context.

I am reminded of a Chinese woman who spent 10 years of her life translating just half of Finnegan's Wake into Chinese, a quarter of which was just footnotes explaining cultural and historical references for the benefit of her potential readers. Now anyone who reads Chinese can read Finnegan's Wake, or at least the first half of it, and there are absolutely things which occur or are described in Finnegan's Wake that you can understand without a mountain of footnotes, but you can also see why someone might look at "10 years to translate half a book" from a business perspective and say "I don't know..."

Finnegan's Wake is an extreme example, of course - there are people who read English natively who struggle with that one - but still an example.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Buschmaki posted:

I like talking about things I enjoy, like 80s and 90s slice of life where I get fashion ideas

i like the bottom one because like. it's definitely outdated fashion. but it's just dated enough that it would be cool and retro if you pulled it off and not like you raided an estate sale. like you can buy clothes in that kind of 90s style still.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

i love you Mio Mio

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Buschmaki posted:

Yeah I find it hard to recommended Peach Girl to my friends for the same reason as the spoiler stuff

Peach Girl? Now that's a name I haven't heard in over a thousand years...

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The best part about Attack on Titan The Final Season Part 3 Parts 1 and 2 is that there are only 9 goddamn chapters left to adapt.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Waffleman_ posted:

The best part about Attack on Titan The Final Season Part 3 Parts 1 and 2 is that there are only 9 goddamn chapters left to adapt.

The last half of the second part is going to just be an extended epilogue to wash the taste of the ending a little cleaner. Note: I haven't read the manga, so I don't actually know the ending.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

verbal enema posted:

i will never put a model together i have incredibly stupid fingers

you should try Last Call BBS

- - - - - -

also, going through the upcoming games I have wishlisted on steam and I notice this comes out next month, I mistakenly thought it was a touhou castlevania fangame. Read the description on the page, googled a name that they put in quotes for some reason, and the Gal*Gun wiki shows up. Think "Oh, it's a Gal Gun castlevania fan game, then." read some more and no, it's by the gal gun developers. wtf

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the official gal gun castlevania game looks kino frankly

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

mighty gunvolt, which i also consider a gal gun game, is incredibly good also

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

the galgun devs are also the megaman zero devs and they recently made the two bloodstained spinoff games so it makes sense in a way

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

what was surprising for me was realizing that they'd actually tied their two original IPs, GalGun and Gunvolt together. The galgun/grim guardians girls have the same last name as the rival character in gunvolt lol

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

didn't know inticreates made gal gun until today

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Southern Cassowary posted:

didn't know inticreates made gal gun until today

Yeah, I learned about it from the commentators on gdq for mighty gunvolt burst

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

inticreates is god tier

blaster master zero 1-3 are good

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

is that mega man zero collection worth getting?

i beat zero as a kid and got a good chunk into zx but haven't played the rest. figure they probably updated it also.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

if by zero you mean just the first then yeah, the next two massively iterated on it and the optional checkpoints the collection added helps with the first game's weird life system

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Motto posted:

if by zero you mean just the first then yeah, the next two massively iterated on it and the optional checkpoints the collection added helps with the first game's weird life system

yeah i only played the first zero, not 2-4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

megaman zero 3 owns. 2 and 4 are good too.