Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

The bat deserves it imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

VorpalFish posted:

Asus apparently makes an alternative I think although who knows if it's any good cause everyone just uses afterburner.

I assume EVGA's killed precision x?

Precision X is still around, people are going to need it to turn LEDs on/off on their 30-series cards and motherboards. It got support for the 4090 back in October, and that's it, it hasn't gotten any updates since. Ostensibly because the overclocking team wanted to use it on their magic 4090 to top the charts, and nothing else.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 17, 2023

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Yeah playing it on a PS5 was even a bit rough. I'm strongly considering an AMD 6800 as the GPU for my next PC and maybe SOP would run well on PC with that level of GPU. :v:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The best part is that despite all of this, it still looks like a late-gen PS3 game. All of the environments are barren and super chunky with low-res textures, and the lighting engine is very basic.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

not much GPU time left for anything else after drawing 20 polygons per pixel

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Ah, so thats where the ff14 1.0 art team went

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

I don't know if anyone will find this useful, but i messed around withy new 4070 zotac trinity over the long weekend. The gpu seems to be built with the idea of deshrouding in mind. With the shroud on it's around 2.5 slots wide and around 306mm long. The shroud is connected to the GPU by 6 easily accessible screws onto a frame built into the heatsink and the fan headers are right in front. The frame the shroud attaches to has no protrusions so you can attach fans flush with the heatsink. Both fan and led connectors can be easily removed with tweezers without removing the heatsink (but reattaching the led is going to be a bit hard). Attaching a 120mm x 25mm fan places the GPU at exactly 6cm or 3 slots! The heatsink is also split in two so that 2 x 120mm fans will cover both sets of fins perfectly.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

repiv posted:

not much GPU time left for anything else after drawing 20 polygons per pixel

This a level beyond Nanite

We call it, Nanite 2

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

genericnick posted:

The bat deserves it imo

Again, my 3080 handled it fine. I wonder if the devs just all had like 2080s or whatever and said “it holds 30fps, ship it”

Anyway, it’s a fun game and the story wraps back around to great.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
As absurd as SoP's story is for the first 80% of the game, I still was not prepared for how hard it went for the last 20%.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
So I'm really confused after watching the gamers nexus 4070ti video, I came away with the idea that bang for buck it's better to get a 3080 as we are looking at single digit gains in terms of fps between the two.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MonkeyLibFront posted:

So I'm really confused after watching the gamers nexus 4070ti video, I came away with the idea that bang for buck it's better to get a 3080 as we are looking at single digit gains in terms of fps between the two.

Correct. It’s somewhere between a 3080 and a 3090 depending on task at $100 more than the original 3080 FE MSRP. That means generation on generation at that price point nvidia is basically standing still.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

MonkeyLibFront posted:

Most of what I've seen puts the 4070ti at about 10-15% over the 3080 on average, using less power. If you want to buy new there seems to be no reason not to get the 4070ti, at least here in Germany where prices are ~900 for a 3080 and ~1000 for a 4070ti.

e: At 1440p!

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Irj9oArWE0A

This covers SoP's performance on consoles

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

MonkeyLibFront posted:

Bang for buck tier list :

1. 4090
2. Used 30 series at a good price which stopped existing about a week ago.
3. Cheap AMD card which is probably stopping existing right about now.
4. Finding a new hobby.
5. 4070 Ti / 4080.

If you need a GPU now, buy whatever makes sense. Newer GPU architectures are virtually always better long-term buys than older ones, although the 4070 Ti is quite memory bandwidth starved and may not retain its advantage over the 3080 as a result. If you can live without buying a GPU for a while, well you missed the window of several months of good deals, but we're not in for another 2 years of poo poo deals. Prices should be coming down relatively shortly because Nvidia can't sell these garbage-tier value products, they can't halt production or carry float forever, and the list of people who are big enough suckers to willingly purchase them when they don't have to is short. Also AMD should be coming out with more products in a few months which will help.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

SuperTeeJay posted:

Coil whine (the buzzing) can often be mitigated by capping frames per second through the Nvidia control panel. Try setting it to 2-5 frames lower than your monitor’s refresh rate.

MSI Afterburner is the most popular tool for changing power settings, but I doubt undervolting the GPU would help and you probably don’t want to power limit the card to 200W or so as you’d be giving up a lot of performance.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

My 4090 Gaming Trio also has some coil whine, but it's not really noticeable unless you're making it render 100s of frames a second, and even then it's quiet enough to be easily drowned out.

This is super anecdotal, but I feel like MSI is the manufacturer I've seen the most complaints about coil whine for this gen. Though I've also seen some complaints about whine on Asus cards.

Generally speaking, the answer this time around isn't to do an undervolt but to do a simple power limit instead. People have been getting really good results setting an ~80% power limit, losing only 3 - 5% performance in the process. You can do a small core overclock in msi afterburner to offset the performance loss, doing essentially the same thing as undervolting. That may not always be stable for every card, though.

Thanks, I'll try all these options tonight after work. The power limit sound promising, since I noticed the higher the power used (as reported by HWINFO64) the louder the buzzing got. If I can't at least get it quiet enough I can't hear it over the fans I'll probably return the card though, it's hard to want to play anything when it sounds like I'm being attacked by an angry bee the whole time.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Farecoal posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Irj9oArWE0A

This covers SoP's performance on consoles

Lmao took me a second to even realize this was about the same game that's supposedly bringing modern consoles and GPUs to their knees. It just like complete rear end, it's incredible.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

K8.0 posted:

1. 4090

:dafuq:

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Frames per dollar it’s number one, weirdly enough. It’s that powerful.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

tehinternet posted:

Frames per dollar it’s number one, weirdly enough. It’s that powerful.

that's only really true in a (very expensive) vacuum

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
That's not necessarily strictly true, but value is not about frames/$, which is a worthless metric. A GPU 1% faster than your current one is an absolutely poo poo upgrade no matter what it costs because you're paying a ton for every bit of performance uplift you get, and performance uplift is what really matters for most buyers. The 4090 is amazing value because it represents enormous performance uplift/$ and because of how powerful it is and how long it will be a viable GPU vs what it cost.

If I had to buy a new GPU today, the 4090 would be the only one on my list until you got down to like 6600 price, which makes sense for someone with a very old GPU and relatively low needs or someone building a new PC for the first time on a budget.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

MonkeyLibFront posted:

GN got relatively worse results out of the 4070 Ti than everyone else, it's not really clear what was up there. in terms of performance/$ it seems to be about equal to the 3080 10GB - about 15% better at 4K for 15% more MSRP. the 3080 10GB was excellent value on release, the thing people are disappointed about is just that the 4070 Ti isn't better value than the previous gen.

this actually represents better performance/$ than the 4090, it's not completely terrible value like the 4080 was.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

K8.0 posted:

2. Used 30 series at a good price which stopped existing about a week ago.
3. Cheap AMD card which is probably stopping existing right about now.

If you live in a decent sized city, Craigslist / fb marketplace are killer. I picked up a 3060ti tuf oc that looked brand new for 200$ last night. There are a bunch of other good deals on my local stuff as well.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

A lot of the assumptions about the 4070Ti were also around that you'd never get one for MSRP, when getting one for MSRP has actually been quite easy.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
4070ti isn't a bad value card but it's a bad value for a lot of people who'd be considering upgrading (like me), which is the problem. If you need a card or you have a very old generation and you really can't wait anymore it's probably the best value you can find if you won't get your money's worth from a 4090.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Timely to this convo, HUB did a new GPU value roundup vid today. I don't fully agree with all the methodology, but for a quick/dirty reference, it has its uses. To probably not much surprise for the thread regulars, the firesale Navi20 parts end up looking pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kiOLC2Ca_I

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
It's kind of a common issue I'm seeing where FF games get released with way too many polys and points in their models to be sensible. For example, vases and shrubs in FF XIV at initial release had far more polys than enemies. See: https://www.gameinformer.com/b/news...rst-launch.aspx and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAydRZ1zeCA

A lot of the issues seem very, very similar to what happened with Cyberpunk along the way including the hubris following success. Thing is, you'd think that the veterans that dealt with FF 14 would have gone to FF XV and then onto Luminous and taken a lot of the lessons to heart. So uh, what's with the repeat of a past failure at presumably the same set of leadership in theory about 8 years later for the development of what became Forspoken?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The more you spend, the more you save! :viggo:

It's also kind of true if you look at it from the opposite side

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

That graph does a good job showing how bad the 6500 XT and 3050 are.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

:smugdog: If you really wanted to win the frames per dollar contest you'd buy my used 6900XT for just $567.89 shipped (it's just sitting here, please make an offer)

Really would not like to deal with the hassle of ebay and I've got no bites on the list of craig.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

Stranger of Paradise is unironically the best non-MMO FF game in like, a decade if not more. :colbert:

Stranger of Paradise is so bugfuck nuts in it's cutscenes you would almost think it was a game done by the guy that did Killer 7.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc0YlQS3Rx4

Also has anyone seen this? This is some really cool diy crazy poo poo some people were trying to do with 4090 cards.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Remind me, why didn’t EVGA want to give AMD cards a try?

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

As much of a fanboy as I can be I just don't see AMD doing the kind of volume they would need to sustain themselves at anything resembling the scale they're used to.

I consider Sapphire to be the rough equivalent and I was unable to source one of their 7900 XTX's, even at a premium, and they still remain elusive.

E: And before I start a warranty comparison fight on accident, I'm referring more to the quality of the build/cooling and ideally never needing an RMA in the first place.

New Zealand can eat me fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 17, 2023

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Rinkles posted:

Remind me, why didn’t EVGA want to give AMD cards a try?

Margins are already so thin on GPUs, I doubt they would want to move to a competitor with a fraction of Nvidia's marketshare.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

GhostDog posted:

Most of what I've seen puts the 4070ti at about 10-15% over the 3080 on average, using less power. If you want to buy new there seems to be no reason not to get the 4070ti, at least here in Germany where prices are ~900 for a 3080 and ~1000 for a 4070ti.

Good news friend, the cost of 4070Tis has been steadily dropping: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=549&sort=price&page=1. They were available for under €900 recently too.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

MonkeyLibFront posted:

The GN review really wasn't very good, to be honest, because they cherry picked the test results (by their own admittance) and didn't show all of their testing. The 4070 Ti is generally ~20% better than the 3080 for ~15% more money. It's still very badly priced, but it's not a worse value.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok yeah 4K OLED is fuckin impressive.

I have a second monitor hooked up and it makes it look so dated.

Not super happy with how glossy the screen is but there’s not much that can be done about that.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Not super happy with how glossy the screen is but there’s not much that can be done about that.

careful where you say these things. the glossy vs matte wars have gotten out of control in some parts of the internet

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

careful where you say these things. the glossy vs matte wars have gotten out of control in some parts of the internet
I made the mistake of looking at Reddit Monitors for chit chat about the new OLEDs and found that a lot of people think (a) matte should be illegal and (b) 1440p at 27” is pixelated dogshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Are they sitting 3” away from the screen? :lol: