Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

matureaudiencesonly posted:

Started working my way through Russian Doll since I’ve seen it recommended a few times. The first season was fun but I just finished episode 3 of the second season and I don’t like it :shrug: . I’m finding natasha lyonne’s nadia-isms extremely annoying this time around, maybe because she’s doing more scenes on her own. Every “ahh, ehhh”, every cigarette, every affected cool girl explanation of the weird stuff going on - just super grating. Her hair continues to look great though. I’ll probably have it on in the background while I do other things and finish it out though.

:same:

I liked first season but gave up on the second by episode 2 or 3

The new time travel gimmick was a lot less interesting and a lot more ridiculous, and her character was more annoying than funny most of the time

edit vvvvvvvvvvvvv: yeah I was actually quite surprised when I learned there was a 2nd season because the 1st is totally self contained and actually leaves very little room to go further

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jan 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
In the back of my mind I’ve been like I need to finish Russian Doll season 2 (I only watched the first 2 episodes?), but now I’m convinced I made the right decision in stopping. Still season 1 was great and they should have stopped there.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Remy Marathe posted:

Same, I stalled out on Russian Doll around episode 4. It clearly wanted to be funny, but never quite got there.

The 2nd half of the first season is a lot better. But the 2nd season never really works.

sad question
May 30, 2020

I thought it was one and done show so this is pretty surprising

matureaudiencesonly
May 6, 2009

sad question posted:

I thought it was one and done show so this is pretty surprising

according to interviews it was planned for three seasons somehow. i don't think i could bear to watch a third.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I still liked S2 even if it wasn’t as tight as the first. S1 was just such a masterpiece.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
I felt like S2 cared way more about being an artsy exploration of generational trauma etc etc than actually having a coherent plot, and when I stopped trying to make it make sense I enjoyed it a good deal more, but it really could've been a one and done. I also can't imagine a 3rd season would have much in it.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Gangs of London season two had the usual stylish ultraviolence but was nothing special. It's been so long since season one I had forgotten most of what happened and had to peek at imdb to figure out who was who.
The combination of a cast mostly playing their actual nationality in a fantasy London where two dozen deaths in a shootout are a normal everyday thing remains weird.

Standout for me was Orli Shuka playing the Albanian gang boss. He's intense as hell and would be a perfect Ramzan Kadyrov for any future Ukraine war docudrama. It's a shame the Wallaces are all so bland.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Tonight we binged almost all of Kaleidoscope, a new crime series on Netflix, starring Giancarlo Esposito (best known as Gus Fring from Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul). All the episodes are associated with a color, rather than a title or an episode number, and the gimmick is you can watch the episodes in any order to get the full story from different non-linear perspectives. The only recommendation is that you watch the "White" episode (the central heist that brings most of the characters together) last, but all the other episodes take place in different time periods over the course of 25 years, including two that take place after the pivotal heist. Ultimately, viewers will get the full story and all of the blanks filled in, but they will probably have very different experiences getting there.

It's so well done. It reminded me a lot of something by Elmore Leonard. It has great pacing, good music, necessary comic relief to break the tension, and mostly sympathetic and interesting characters, so it isn't all grim and dark and edgy. Esposito is such a great, charming lead in this. He reminds me of Denzel Washington at his best, but I'm so used to cold, calculating, robotic Gus Fring, I had forgotten Esposito could be that kind of a charismatic leading man too.

I highly recommend this show. My only concern is that like so many Netflix shows that drop at once, it will get forgotten quickly, especially coming out so early in the year. But trickling the episodes out weekly would ruin the gimmick of picking and choosing which order to watch them in. I'm sure people will end up with their own theories about which orders are better than others, but I'm content with how we did it.

All of a sudden, it was 1 AM here, so we're saving the one remaining episode ("White," of course) for tomorrow.

My partner and I started watching this on your recommendation and I have a lot of varied thoughts, but on the whole I second that I really enjoyed it! As I type White just started, my order was yellow-green-blue-orange-violet-red-pink-white (I think Netflix did a cheeky thing where they switched up some of the "middle" episodes for people) and I think I'd have liked Violet more earlier in the season but otherwise I think that viewing order was solid, though I don't know if I'd watch it again to see the effect of a different order.

I will say that I got stuck in a bit of a rut at first with how unrealistic some things were, and I think you have to be able to let go of that to get into it. I think its reach exceeded its grasp but I still appreciated its ambition, there were a lot of really enjoyable performances (though I found the FBI agent to be a notable weak point) and they really pulled off most of the high-concept nonlinear stuff.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Kaleidoscope sounds cool and extremely up my alley. I had no idea it was anything like that. I'll be checking it out. :tipshat:

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

woke kaczynski posted:

My partner and I started watching this on your recommendation and I have a lot of varied thoughts, but on the whole I second that I really enjoyed it! As I type White just started, my order was yellow-green-blue-orange-violet-red-pink-white (I think Netflix did a cheeky thing where they switched up some of the "middle" episodes for people) and I think I'd have liked Violet more earlier in the season but otherwise I think that viewing order was solid, though I don't know if I'd watch it again to see the effect of a different order.

I will say that I got stuck in a bit of a rut at first with how unrealistic some things were, and I think you have to be able to let go of that to get into it. I think its reach exceeded its grasp but I still appreciated its ambition, there were a lot of really enjoyable performances (though I found the FBI agent to be a notable weak point) and they really pulled off most of the high-concept nonlinear stuff.

I'm glad I did not steer you wrong!

AndyElusive posted:

Kaleidoscope sounds cool and extremely up my alley. I had no idea it was anything like that. I'll be checking it out. :tipshat:

If you think you will like it, you probably will. Enjoy!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

woke kaczynski posted:

I felt like S2 cared way more about being an artsy exploration of generational trauma etc etc than actually having a coherent plot, and when I stopped trying to make it make sense I enjoyed it a good deal more, but it really could've been a one and done. I also can't imagine a 3rd season would have much in it.

Yeah I agree with this. It was an admirable swing, and a lot of it worked, but I dunno that it hung together all that well.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Kaleidoscope is awesome, binging it right now, about 2/3 through

Much like Haruhi Suzumiya I think it’s better out of order. It’s non-stop twists that way

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Pink is by far the funniest episode

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Finished.

Ideally, start with black, yellow (good introduction to the whole cast)

End with pink (several plot lines crescendo), white

Everything else in the middle, ask Siri to pick random colors for you

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jan 20, 2023

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
I'm really enjoying Quartet on Netflix. A coed string quartet move in together and form a polycule vigorously rosin their bows as they skirt around the sexual tension and discover they're all hiding dark secrets, but not like super dark. The show avoids tired musician cliche's but still feels like it was written by people who are part of that circle. I really want to try one of those 4-sided juice boxes.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
1899 started pretty slowly.....but as far as a mystery show goes.....I liked it. Took some VERY big swings tying up what was happening throughout the run. I can see how some people might get turned off by that.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

The ending makes the whole season pointless and it’s not getting renewed so gently caress it. It was fine but that ending was some real st elsewhere poo poo.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Went through all three series of Love Death Robots. Pretty cool, some really nice stories and animations, and the brevity of the episodes keeps it from becoming boring even when the premise or execution is less interesting.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
My partner, a long time fan of That 70's Show, started binge watching That 90's Show, and being as sick of a dog I've been not quite motivated enough to do anything but sit on the couch watching it as well.

It's... Fine. It's probably about as good as this premise could be, to be honest.

So far it hasn't leaned too much on 1990's stereotypes, which is welcome and is more about the new group of kids and their relationships, with the occasional very special guest of an old cast member.

It feels like a 90s sitcom brought to today, arguably for the worse, and the only real attempt to modernise it has been to add some diversity to the new characters, which can feel a little forced at times.

It's biggest problem is it's main cast of kids are pretty forgettable, and all the attention paid to reviving the old sets, environments and cameo roles just reminds you that the 70s show was pretty good back in the day. It's stuck with that curse where it can't differentiate otherwise it will alienate old fans, but it can't innovate or do anything different either - so it ultimately doesn't satisfy anyone.

It reminds me of that zombie season where they replaced Eric with some other kid, except this time it's the whole crew.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

RestingB1tchFace posted:

1899 started pretty slowly.....but as far as a mystery show goes.....I liked it. Took some VERY big swings tying up what was happening throughout the run. I can see how some people might get turned off by that.

I'm liking it so far, but why does it have to be so loving dark constantly ffs

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

Started watching the new All Creatures Great and Small. I really enjoyed the books and the old BBC series, and I enjoyed this too. The casting is great. Some fresh faces that are still very much the same characters. It's nice that they found some countryside to film in, or at least some convincing CGI, I dunno. I remember one of the original cast saying years ago that you couldn't make a show like this nowadays, because the stories have too much innocence for a world that's become so cynical, or something to that affect. I'm not sure I completely agree with that, but I get the sentiment. So far the new series really captures the spirit of the original.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The showrunner said something similar because he was trying to pitch BBC on the show and they said nobody wanted stuff like that anymore and they passed on it. It was the perfect show to watch during the COVID lockdown.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

season 3 was super confusing, but Dark stuck the landing.

I have never seen a more complicated show, but it appears to all work.

it's a masterpiece.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

My only complaint about Dark is that last season and some of the... reveals in the mechanics therein seemed a bit rushed. I felt like they could have gotten another season out of that twist.

All the same def one of my all timers.

matureaudiencesonly
May 6, 2009

Rolling through more of HBO's back catalogue I've now discovered Search Party which is just an absolutely near-perfect dark comedy. Really enjoying it a whole lot, and I'm at the end of season 3/5. While watching the first season you might think you know where the show is headed, but man does it go places. Strong recommend!

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I wish I could watch Search Party again for the first time.

you might think you know where the show is headed, but man does it go places.

lol you ain't seen nothin yet

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Just wrapped up the live-action Cowboy Bebop.

It was...okay. Didn't really capture the feel of the anime. Also, aging up Spike and Faye didn't do it any favors.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

Finished Quartet. I enjoyed it, the four main characters were endearing, the ending was satisfying, but it took some hard turns in a few episodes. Here's some relationship advice for you all. If your mother-in-law cons your friend into hiding a tape recorder in your house to spy on you because she thinks you killed her son, that's just Ma being Ma, but when she cons another friend into hiding a second tape recorder in your house, it's really time for that restraining order.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Rolling through more of HBO's back catalogue I've now discovered Search Party which is just an absolutely near-perfect dark comedy. Really enjoying it a whole lot, and I'm at the end of season 3/5. While watching the first season you might think you know where the show is headed, but man does it go places. Strong recommend!

I literally just finished watching the whole series a couple of days ago and agreed, it is so good!

isaboo posted:

lol you ain't seen nothin yet

Also this lol, it is absolutely wild.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

I've now discovered Search Party
The lovely and narcissistic characters really make the show sing.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Armauk posted:

The lovely and narcissistic characters really make the show sing.

It definitely seems to be a matter of taste, cause I watched like one and a half episodes when I realized that I loathed very nearly every single character in it and had absolutely no desire to watch them for even a minute more. :suicide:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I will never understand people who think hating every character in a show like that is a bug and not a feature

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Started watching Search Party based on the above discussion. So far really enjoying it; really curious to see where this goes based on discussions. Thanks for the rec - had been really struggling to find something new.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
It took me a minute to realize the narrative wasn't trying to advocate Dory by surrounding her with stupidly terrible people to make her seem better by comparison. Once we got some feedback outside her POV, I was on board.

Also the roundabout scene made me laugh aloud in an empty room, which is my highest endorsement.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Escobarbarian posted:

I will never understand people who think hating every character in a show like that is a bug and not a feature

It depends on the show. Search Party, Always Sunny, and Righteous Gemstones do "love to hate them" characters well because the characters are fleshed out and not entirely irredeemable. Except for Dennis Reynolds.

It also helps that they're all comedies, or at least comedic. For darker dramas about lovely people, my mindset quickly shifts to "Why would I want to watch these people?".

Even Breaking Bad got hard to watch, because the characters got less redeemable and relatable as the series progressed. High school teacher with cancer who is desperate to look after his family? Sad but relatable. I'd probably break some rules in his situation. Drug kingpin who's responsible for multiple deaths with little remorse? Ehhhh.

Das Boo posted:

It took me a minute to realize the narrative wasn't trying to advocate Dory by surrounding her with stupidly terrible people to make her seem better by comparison. Once we got some feedback outside her POV, I was on board.

Everything about the show starts to click the moment you realize Dory is not the hero.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

It is possible to not enjoy it without thinking it's "a bug and not a feature"

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
y'all Search Party first-timers need to come back and share your reactions when you're done

because :stonk:

also, Chantal Chantle is the best (worst)

isaboo fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 26, 2023

matureaudiencesonly
May 6, 2009

i just started season 4 today and i'm already like :2monocle:

how is this show this good and i've never even heard about it before?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

i just started season 4 today and i'm already like :2monocle:

how is this show this good and i've never even heard about it before?!

The show wasn't well-marketed, and its name doesn't do it any favors either. "Search Party" sounds like a procedural or some kind of Lost-esque prestige mystery show.

I've watched the whole series, and I have trouble describing it to friends without spoiling some stuff.

"There's this girl who goes missing, and her friends-but-not-really-friends get obsessed with finding her, and they're horrible people, and then some weird twists happen" is factually correct, but it doesn't sound like a show most people would want to watch.

Speaking of amazing shows with awful names that nobody watched, can I preach to you about Wonderfalls?