Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Somehow Paul was the Vincent Price role in a Roger Corman produced remake of Masque of the Red Death? That's bizarre.

I'd guess that a big reason he never became a bigger star is how much different the t.v. experience was back in the mid-90s. When you're the star of a show that has 20+ episodes per season, and you don't get long hiatuses like they often do today, there's just not a whole lot of time to go off and shoot a movie for 6 months or whatever.

And he did Highlander from 92-98 so by the time he's done with that I think the ship had kinda sailed on his A-list potential.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Dec 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
One thing I will say for The Source is that it made clear to me a big reason why the Highlander sequels failed (besides the fact that a sequel doesn't make sense in concept): they just kept trying to do the Kurgan again. Tall, gravelly voice, big sword, boom you're done. The Guardian looks like a Default Kurgan Template that they forgot to give any features, and he mainly speaks in offhand references to the other movies.

When I was a kid, I thought Kell was a lousy character and Payne was a terrible overactor. I eventually realize that he was one of those prestigious British theatre guys that you hire when you want to class up a lovely movie, and he chewed the scenery like a dog with a peanut butter sandwich.

Yeah, I liked Highlander a lot. It was the 90s, and he had a trenchcoat and a katana, and unlike He-Man and Leonardo he cut people's fuckin' heads off.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
He had amazing sweaters too. Or turtlenecks I guess, technically.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
The Highlander wearing turtlenecks makes a lot of sense.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If I were a highlander I'd simply have a steel ring welded around my neck to create a permanent turtleneck

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

feedmyleg posted:

If I were a highlander I'd simply have a steel ring welded around my neck to create a permanent turtleneck

How it started:

How it's going:

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
This guy makes good videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FdfCuF12Hs

This is every movie he discusses:

Top Gun Maverick
Ambulance

Valimai
Lost Bullet 2

INDIAN
RRR
K.G.F Chapter 2
Vikram
Ponniyin Selvan: I
Kantara
James
Vendhu Thanindhathu Kaadu
Brahmāstra: Part One – Shiva
Sardar
An Action Hero
Saani Kaayidham
Ajagajantharam
Thallumaala

KOREAN
Carter
The Roundup
Alienoid, part 1
Hansan: Rising Dragon
The Killer: A Girl Who Deserves To Die
Project Wolf Hunting
Hunt
Spiritwalker

WOMEN-LED ACTION MOVIES
The Witch: Part 2. The Other One
The Woman King
Ladki: Enter the Girl Dragon
Prey
The Princess
Baby Assassins

JAPAN
Bad City
Good Morning, Sleeping Lion
Shin Ultraman

Accident Man: Hitman's Holiday

HONG KONG
G-Storm
Man on the Edge
Detective vs. Sleuths
Warriors of Future

Water Gate Bridge

CHINESE DTV MOVIES
Fierce Cop
Song of the Assassins
Eye for an Eye AKA Defiant
Snipers
Blind War

Athena

ANIMATION
Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero
Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Movie
Mortal Kombat Legends: Snow Blind
New Gods: Yang Jian
Demigod, The Legend Begins

The Big 4
The Northman
Everything Everywhere All At Once
Violent Night
Christmas, Bloody Christmas

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Right on. Also dig the Highlander talk, any takes on Highlander 3: The Sorcerer? That's the one I didn't see. I liked that Yoshiaki Kawajiri Highlander anime.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Oh God the sequel hook of The Big 4. Timo really thought he was making a Kill Bill volume or something. Stick to Headshot and When the Night Comes For Us, it's a lot more fun and funny when he's not trying to make a funny movie. I think one of those films has the fight with the white mercenary who just goes like BROOO...BROOO.
Genuinely just fast forwarded through most of the second half just sticking around for fight scenes, it's not like you miss anything significant plot wise.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

That was really good, I've seen a small part of these and mostly agree on what he thinks of them. Finding the stuff in there is a challenge, apparently there is a Finnish 2022 movie named Sisu for which not even a trailer is available, only reviews saying it's awesome.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Heavy Metal posted:

Right on. Also dig the Highlander talk, any takes on Highlander 3: The Sorcerer? That's the one I didn't see. I liked that Yoshiaki Kawajiri Highlander anime.

The Sorcerer / The Final Dimension is basically a straight remake of the first movie with the serial numbers filed off. It's very unmemorable and everyone seems to be sleepwalking through it, especially Mario Van Peebles (who is basically playing a store-brand version of The Kurgan). It's not the worst way to spend an hour and a half that I've ever heard of, but it's not something I'd actively search for.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
One unfortunate thing about The Final Dimension is that modern releases lack the part from the first US release where Lambert cuts Mario van Peebles in half but thanks to *THE POWER OF ILLUSION* HIS LEGS are able to run away while he holds is upper body in place on some railings.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Timby posted:

The Sorcerer / The Final Dimension is basically a straight remake of the first movie with the serial numbers filed off. It's very unmemorable and everyone seems to be sleepwalking through it, especially Mario Van Peebles (who is basically playing a store-brand version of The Kurgan). It's not the worst way to spend an hour and a half that I've ever heard of, but it's not something I'd actively search for.
It's been a long time since I saw it and I only saw it twice, but I concur it's the most "just kinda there" of the sequels.

It does have a delightfully stupid premise, though. Turns out Connor never really won the Prize because these three assholes were buried in an avalanche! Can Connor defeat Unfrozen Mongolian Wizard and have sex with a woman who looks exactly like his dead ex?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Man, the semi-final not-fight in Man of Tai Chi between Tiger Chen and Iko Uwais is simultaneously fantastic and such a mean tease. When the latter gets into position to fight, you really want poo poo to go down, but then lol. But it's a great bit of growth for Tiger and a great lead-in to a kick-rear end final fight.

I kind of get disappointed at Triple Threat all over again watching that scene.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

Grendels Dad posted:

Man, the semi-final not-fight in Man of Tai Chi between Tiger Chen and Iko Uwais is simultaneously fantastic and such a mean tease. When the latter gets into position to fight, you really want poo poo to go down, but then lol. But it's a great bit of growth for Tiger and a great lead-in to a kick-rear end final fight.

I kind of get disappointed at Triple Threat all over again watching that scene.

My thoughts exactly, Triple Threau is still fun at times (the jungle scenes), but everything else is just so mediocore at best. Basically if a UFC fighter is involved in the movie, it's going to suck.

As for Man of Tai Chi - I loving love that movie. Keanu's debut for those that don't know, and man I love Iwo but he was wasted in that film. If you ignore the "Police can trace IP's of encrypted high tech networks" - it's like a modern day Bloodsport.

Keanu is so cool in that movie with his Masks

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Hirez posted:

if a UFC fighter is involved in the movie, it's going to suck.

Ahem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZT_sWjcNis

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Looks like Marko Zaror has a new movie coming out with Ernesto Diaz Espinoza.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vD_WswiuJU

Looking forward to this. If you're not familiar with Zaror, he is probably best known for a couple of Scott Adkins movies, Undisputed III and Savage Dog. He and Espinoza have made a bunch of movies together, including the James Bond spoof Mandrill and the vigilante flick Redeemer, a personal favorite. Zaror's screen fighting style is pretty memorable, he combines super athletic kicks with grounded mma-style choreography.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9YCNCVFUI8

I've always loved that fight. It's way better than you'd expect from a tiny budget Chilean (!) action flick, and it's always great in an action movie when the hero has a lot of trouble fighting a random low-level goon.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Watched Special Delivery, kind of a Korean Transporter, starring the swaggering Park So-dam. It was really good, with excellent chases. For some reason it's on dailymotion complete with english subs.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8dyf3p

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Watched Alienoid, a crazy Korean action/sf movie with tonnes of interesting ideas and some good fight sequences. It's clearly intended as the first of a series, so it doesn't tell a complete story and finishes abruptly with a clear leadoff to the sequel. Maybe 7/10. I'll probably watch the next one just to see how insane the plot gets.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
There's some kind of new action movie coming and the only reason it even floated across my timeline was that Mercedes Varnado (aka. former WWE wrestler Sasha Banks) is in it.

https://deadline.com/2023/01/paul-ben-victor-mercedes-varnado-join-action-thriller-the-collective-1235221565/

quote:

Paul Ben-Victor (Plane) and Mercedes Varnado (The Mandalorian) are the newest additions to the cast of the action-thriller The Collective from Yale Entertainment. They join a cast that also includes Lucas Till, Ruby Rose, Tyrese Gibson, and Don Johnson, as previously announced.

In the recently-wrapped film from director Tom DeNucci, a group of righteous assassins called The Collective take aim at a highly sophisticated human trafficking ring backed by a network of untouchable billionaires. With their backs against the wall, The Collective has no choice but to put their most important mission in the hands of rookie assassin, Sam Alexander (Till). What he lacks in experience he makes up for in savvy, grit, and a keen ability to improvise in the most dangerous situations. He is aided on his journey by Hugo (Gibson) and Liam (Johnson), former CIA operatives turned rogue vigilantes. They face off against Daisy (Rose), the cunning general manager of this evil, clandestine organization. Sam must prove to himself, Liam and Hugo that he’s Collective material on this life-or-death, take-no-prisoners mission.

Ben-Victor will play Miro Lindell, who serves as auctioneer to a seedy underground cabal of billionaires bidding on human lives. Watching his back at all times is the blade wielding company pit-bull and chief of security, Nikita (Varnado).

I looked it up and Lucas Till is the guy that played MacGuyver in the reboot series, so I guess maybe he knows how to stunt and fight. I have no idea if the director is any good, but his imdb page doesn't look promising.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Was wondering how Tyrese was in the "cameo in your Bulgarian-shot action movie" price range but googling "Tyrese Gibson divorce" solved that mystery

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

morestuff posted:

Was wondering how Tyrese was in the "cameo in your Bulgarian-shot action movie" price range but googling "Tyrese Gibson divorce" solved that mystery

Wait, Fast 11? I thought 10 was the last one?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Xenomrph posted:

Looks like whoever told you that

pulled a fast one on you.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Xenomrph posted:

They were going to do a Final Fantasy and release X and X-2 back to back but there was too much messy drama

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

morestuff posted:

They were going to do a Final Fantasy and release X and X-2 back to back but there was too much messy drama

So 11's going to be online?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Has anyone ITT watched PROJECT WOLF HUNTING yet..? I ask as I follow a couple gif accounts on Tumblr and they post scenes from recent movies, usually two or three gifsets - PWH has just been an ongoing, constant stream of the most bloody and gory gifsets I have ever seen, looking like it will put the likes of THE NIGHT COMES FOR US etc into a cocked hat.

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Has anyone ITT watched PROJECT WOLF HUNTING yet..? I ask as I follow a couple gif accounts on Tumblr and they post scenes from recent movies, usually two or three gifsets - PWH has just been an ongoing, constant stream of the most bloody and gory gifsets I have ever seen, looking like it will put the likes of THE NIGHT COMES FOR US etc into a cocked hat.

I was really hyped for it because almost everyone on twitter I follow was going crazy for it but I was a little cold by it. While the violence is plenty, it was very repetitive compared to something like The Night Comes for Us (the GOAT imo) or The Sadness. Still worth a watch though

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
To be fair The Night Comes for Us is kind of an unfair bar to hold action films to. It's like almost no film is ever going to be operating on that level, but they can still be fun.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
As much as I love TNCFU, I think I'd get burned out if every action movie was that intense. That's like if every wrestling show was the Tournament of Death.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

That's like if every wrestling show was the Tournament of Death.

I, too, would become bored with paradise

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Has anyone ITT watched PROJECT WOLF HUNTING yet..?

Is it a prequel or sequel to Good Will Hunting?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

As much as I love TNCFU, I think I'd get burned out if every action movie was that intense. That's like if every wrestling show was the Tournament of Death.

lol I got burned out by the second act

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I don't know what is going on but for some reason every time The Raid 2 shows up on streaming it is messed up somehow. When it was on HBO Max they only had a Spanish dub of it and now that it is on Netflix they have the original Indonesian language but the English subtitles are Closed Captions so you get sound descriptions. Also while I would never watch it I know there is an English dub of it so it's weird that neither had it.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

muscles like this! posted:

I don't know what is going on but for some reason every time The Raid 2 shows up on streaming it is messed up somehow. When it was on HBO Max they only had a Spanish dub of it and now that it is on Netflix they have the original Indonesian language but the English subtitles are Closed Captions so you get sound descriptions. Also while I would never watch it I know there is an English dub of it so it's weird that neither had it.

[sizzling]
[agonized screaming]
[snap]
[wet snap]

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

[sizzling]
[agonized screaming]
[snap]
[wet snap]

[tense music]
[scary walking]
[man having arm snapped off and being beaten with it]
[exciting music]

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

[sizzling]
[agonized screaming]
[snap]
[wet snap]

Lmao I know the exact scene you're describing too

Martman
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
[raiding sounds]

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Project Wolf Hunting was pretty disappointing. It delivered the gore without any novel action, plot, or characterisation. One of those movies where the effects team and actors did a decent job with a limited an unimaginative script.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Chas McGill posted:

Project Wolf Hunting was pretty disappointing. It delivered the gore without any novel action, plot, or characterisation. One of those movies where the effects team and actors did a decent job with a limited an unimaginative script.

Yeah, I also couldn't get over how incredibly mundane the monster was.
Someone mentioned it was like a Resident Evil boss so I expected something gross, fleshy and mutated, but it was just a guy with his eyes closed.
Such a disappointment.

I do give it credit for going through characters faster than anything I've ever seen, nobody was safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Didn't get to watch much during my vacation. But had a long 20 hour flight back.

-Accident Man Hitman's Holiday. I love Adkins but imo he has had a string of horrible movies in the last 2-3 years. Savage Dog and Avengement were the last really good ones. The action is meh here and the setting isn't interesting here either.
-Top Gun Maverick. Never watched the first but loved this. I am not someone who really cares about military tech or fighter jets but this movie made them look so cool and awesome. The setpiece at the end was great but I think this also had a very nice story. Some good music as well although not as good as the first one. Danger Zone being in the opening was a great touch though.
-Uncharted. It's not fully an action movie. I am a big fan of the games and always thought they might be even better as movies since the shooting aspect of the game is very repetitive. Tom Holland seems ok as Nate, Mark Wahlberg as Sully is just a weird casting choice but after watching the movie I actually thought both kinda played their characters well. The setpieces and plot seemed like a mix of different games. The CG looked fine I think. Definitely worth a watch if you like National Treasure/Indiana Jones or Uncharted games. It has really good pacing so doesn't really ever stall.
-Bullet Train, I saw what people in this thread were saying about this movie. It seems definitely like a mixed opinion. I thought it missed the execution but the idea was really good and I love the zany over the top style. So I commend it for effort. I really hope there is a sequel for this but with Brad Pitt as a lead I doubt it.

Someone mentioned the Kenshin movies on Netflix. Those are amazing, I have only watched the first two but the sword action is amazing. I still think the Japanese do sword fighting action the best and they really make the violence look real. For other good Japanese action movies I recommend Fable and anything by Tak Sakaguchi

Also has anyone seen Pushpa The Rise or Vikram? Getting RRR/KGF/Bahubali vibes from those.