Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Defenestrategy posted:

Yea, it's a thing in wrestling that kinda never made sense to me that relationships in wrestling don't really seem to be carried on all that much.

Say you have a heel who has been cheating to win or a dominant heel stable who continually does run ins NWO style, why do the people who have been dunked on in such a way not do anything about it? Like everyone MJF ever hits with a diamond ring start coming out to try to intercept him from doing it to someone else. Yea, yea, I know writers convenience, but in a world where referee's are blind and somewhat incompetent it seems like other wrestlers would try to do something about the one rear end in a top hat stable/person cheating all the time.

I think that as a face they're supposed to be above it all and not stoop to the heels level. Thats less applicable currently but it's still there.

That's the reason Steve Austin got so big. He was the first kind of face willing to crawl around in the dirt with the heels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Sandman McMahon posted:

Wrestling needs more Legion of Doom style stables. Just give me all the heels, no matter how disparate, teaming up to whoop some babyface butt.

Legion of Doom was just two guys though. Well, and Paul Ellering but he was just the manager.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

MrBling posted:

Legion of Doom was just two guys though. Well, and Paul Ellering but he was just the manager.

No, prior to them being the Road Warriors in NWA, they were part of a larger stable called the Legion of Doom with Jake Roberts and King Kong Bundy. I think like Norvel Austin may have been in there at some point also.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

EdsTeioh posted:

No, prior to them being the Road Warriors in NWA, they were part of a larger stable called the Legion of Doom with Jake Roberts and King Kong Bundy. I think like Norvel Austin may have been in there at some point also.

They had already been the Road Warriors for awhile in Georgia when that formed.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

That's the reason Steve Austin got so big. He was the first kind of face willing to crawl around in the dirt with the heels.

Hulk Hogan is pointing at you and getting ready to give you an old fashioned eye poke/back rake one two, brother.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Hogan hits someone with a chair on the outside, match not called

Jesse Ventura: You're telling me if I bring a gun to the ring and shoot my opponent it's okay because I did it on the outside?

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
I want to say it was '95 or '96 - or maybe both - where the Rumble was pretty much wall to wall jobbers and gimmick midcarders because they had such a dearth of talent at the time.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Bonk posted:

I want to say it was '95 or '96 - or maybe both - where the Rumble was pretty much wall to wall jobbers and gimmick midcarders because they had such a dearth of talent at the time.

95 was really bad and outside of HBK the next biggest stars were Luger, Owen, Smith, Backlund and Bundy. The rest of the field ranged from jobber to midcarder.

96 was better. It was still obvious Michaels was winning but you also had Vader, Diesel and some other big names like Yokozuna. Plus midcard guys like Austin and HHH were in featured roles and Jake Roberts returned. The Rumble did have some odd contestants though like Doug Gilbert and the Samoan Squat Team.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

DeathChicken posted:

Hogan hits someone with a chair on the outside, match not called

Jesse Ventura: You're telling me if I bring a gun to the ring and shoot my opponent it's okay because I did it on the outside?

I mean, yeah. Or if the ref doesn't see it.

How many matches have been stopped in the middle because one of the participants was getting arrested?

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
I think New Jack/Gypsy Joe had been over for a while by the time the cops showed up

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Defenestrategy posted:

Yea, it's a thing in wrestling that kinda never made sense to me that relationships in wrestling don't really seem to be carried on all that much.

Say you have a heel who has been cheating to win or a dominant heel stable who continually does run ins NWO style, why do the people who have been dunked on in such a way not do anything about it? Like everyone MJF ever hits with a diamond ring start coming out to try to intercept him from doing it to someone else. Yea, yea, I know writers convenience, but in a world where referee's are blind and somewhat incompetent it seems like other wrestlers would try to do something about the one rear end in a top hat stable/person cheating all the time.
I think about this regularly, and on one hand you immediately expect anyone who gets involved like this to mean that there is a feud a-brewin' between those people, but if such occurrences were more common then it would not always seem to be telegraphing a burgeoning feud.

Whether that is a good thing is up to interpretation, but yeah it is always fun when that does happen when someone not directly involved in a feud comes out to stop the heel from being a Bad Sort Of Fellow because the other face has been burned in the past

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Yeah that immediately came to mind, helping Mankind win the title specifically; Kane showing up at the end of that legendary 10-man tag to clean house also sticks out.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

How many matches have been stopped in the middle because one of the participants was getting arrested?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qux-mAFo3OM
so close!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Bonk posted:

Here's a quick look back at the Rumble rosters during the New Generation.

- 1993 is right after the beginning of the New Generation, so there's a lot of holdover from the Hogan Era. The midcard is pretty over outside of some random names (Terry Taylor, Max Moon, Skinner, "Rocket" Owen Hart). It's just a weird roster overall because the opening two are former champions Ric Flair and Bob Backlund where Flair has one foot out the door and Backlund is so alien to this era that they have to use this match to get him over. The match centered around Yokozuna's dominance and the only viable faces to stop him were Mr. Perfect (eliminated unfairly), Undertaker (eliminated unfairly) and Randy Savage (booked into being a dumbass).

- 1994 does not have too many viable winners, but the midcard is actually pretty solid. It just has such an awful stretch of participants at the end. Not only is there a no-show, but the last three entrants are Fatu, Marty Jannetty and Adam Bomb. Lex and Bret show up in the final ten, but they're selling massive beatings at the time and there's no energy to them showing up.

- 1995 has a handful of great names and then the quality drops to the ground with guys like Well-Dunn, the Bushwackers (they're still here?!), Mantaur and Aldo Montoya. The thing about this is that SO MUCH OF IT could have been forgiven if they booked the bigger names better. Bundy was there for three minutes, Mabel was there for one minute and Backlund and Owen were there for seconds. Meanwhile, Eli Blu was there for ten minutes.

- 1996 was when WWF was starting to rebuild its roster. There are only a couple truly lame lower-carders on there like Aldo Montoya, Barry Horowitz and Marty Jannetty. They went with five guest wrestlers instead of searching for more jobbers, which was a double-edged sword. The guest wrestlers made the match feel more unpredictable other than the fact that none of them had any tangible success.

- 1997 had four luchadors in there to fill up spots, but otherwise the only real losers on the roster are Fake Razor and I guess Bart Gunn. It's a unique Rumble to watch because the Attitude Era guys are there... just not really. Jesse James, the Sultan and Fake Diesel are lame, but I want to give them a break because they're going to be big deals in a year or so.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Gavok posted:

- 1996 was when WWF was starting to rebuild its roster. There are only a couple truly lame lower-carders on there like Aldo Montoya, Barry Horowitz and Marty Jannetty.

Jannetty was already pretty washed and on the way out by 1996, but he had the talent to be a much bigger deal than he was.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Last year when Kenny and the Young Bucks were wraping up their championship runs I thought that the story was going to go in that "Everyone they hosed over gets their revenge" direction but then it didn't. Something about the plot suggested it.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

CommonShore posted:

Last year when Kenny and the Young Bucks were wraping up their championship runs I thought that the story was going to go in that "Everyone they hosed over gets their revenge" direction but then it didn't. Something about the plot suggested it.

Yea. I think a few people got boned by that, especially kaz who had every reason to rush the outside to beat up random elite members interfearing in a match, but didnt and got wrekt by *checks notes* doc gallows. For his trouble.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

rujasu posted:

Jannetty was already pretty washed and on the way out by 1996, but he had the talent to be a much bigger deal than he was.

Michaels becoming a main event face is what really showed how far Jannetty had fallen around that time. When they had a singles match, it was apparent that Jannetty had gone from a vengeful former partner to a guy left in the dust. Michaels was a top name and Jannetty was teaming up with Al Snow and failing to work well as a heel.

CommonShore posted:

Probably Eddie Kingston calling everyone cowards for not doing anything about it.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

MassRafTer posted:

They had already been the Road Warriors for awhile in Georgia when that formed.

Right, but what I'm saying here is that initially the Road Warriors were a part of a larger stable called Legion of Doom. OP said that LoD was just 2 guys, which it initially wasn't.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
I could see MJF inspiring that kind of storyline. Imagine Danielson loses the iron man match because mjf uses the diamond ring. Danielson then dedicates himself to preventing it from happening to anyone else. Danielson runs out to prevent MJF from hitting Eddie Kingston with the ring and ushers in the greatest title reign in AEW history.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Danielson would never help Eddie

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Let us not forget other notable legion of doom members Droz, Heidenreich, Ahmed Johnson, and Kensuke Sasaki.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Are there many/any legacy tag teams? As in, one person got replaced, then eventually the other original member is replaced, and so on forever, still using the same tag team name. I'm drawing a blank; maybe Demolition? I'm not including stables like the Four Horsemen.

I remember things like the New Midnight Express or whatever Cornette was doing around the beginning of the Attitude Era but they weren't kayfabe considered the same tag team I don't think?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Are there many/any legacy tag teams? As in, one person got replaced, then eventually the other original member is replaced, and so on forever, still using the same tag team name. I'm drawing a blank; maybe Demolition? I'm not including stables like the Four Horsemen.

I remember things like the New Midnight Express or whatever Cornette was doing around the beginning of the Attitude Era but they weren't kayfabe considered the same tag team I don't think?

Even though they were technically a stable, the Colony still works in a tag team sense.

Started off as Fire Ant and Soldier Ant. Eventually, Worker Ant joined and they became a stable. Many members joined and left over the years. At one point, pretty much every Colony member other than Fire Ant had been taken off the board due to career-ending injury or whatever (Soldier Ant had lost his sight, Worker Ant II had his back destroyed, etc.). Fire Ant became an angry loner who viciously beat down those responsible.

Two rookies took the gimmicks of Green Ant II and Thief Ant and started calling themselves the Colony. Fire Ant kicked their asses and told them to drop the gimmick, either to protect them or because he considered them a mockery. They tried to win him over a few times, but he wasn't having it. They considered giving up, but Soldier Ant appeared before them to insist they keep at it. Fire Ant, Green Ant II and Thief Ant ended up teaming for King of Trios and won the whole thing. Fire Ant accepted them as the Colony and all was well.

Now even with Chikara long gone, Green Ant II and Thief Ant are still around as Electro Ant and Ultimo Ant and still call themselves the Colony.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

MrBling posted:

No I mean like these guys

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

titties posted:

Let us not forget other notable legion of doom members Droz, Heidenreich, Ahmed Johnson, and Kensuke Sasaki.

And Crush for a little while.

Does Sunny count?

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Admiral Joeslop posted:

The Midnight Express actually is an example here. They were initially a stable that sort of coalesced into a tag team of Dennis Condrey and Randy Rose. Rose was eventually replaced by Bobby Eaton, Condrey was later replaced with Stan Lane. At some point later than THAT, Condrey and Rose returned as the Original Midnight Express and feuded with the actual Midnight Express.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
What about The Andersons? Starts with Gene and Lars and ends up as Ole and Arn. Were there some other combinations in there?

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
I guess the Von Erichs in MLW would count since they're Kevin's kids, but I don't know if using a family name is the same as a gimmick successor.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

And Crush for a little while.

Does Sunny count?

And Christy Hemme. Does anyone even remember that?

Also, smh at the Rocco erasure.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Bonk posted:

I guess the Von Erichs in MLW would count since they're Kevin's kids, but I don't know if using a family name is the same as a gimmick successor.

As far as I can remember, all the Von Erichs are actually related except for one or two that were billed as "Von Erich" family members.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

edogawa rando posted:

oh right, didn't Hemme wear like a spiky bustier or something?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

kane and x-pac turned into kane and rvd. later when ecw returned, rvd started teaming with cm punk a bit. that was all the same tag team

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

edogawa rando posted:

Wasn't he Freckles at one point?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gavok posted:

Even though they were technically a stable, the Colony still works in a tag team sense.

Started off as Fire Ant and Soldier Ant. Eventually, Worker Ant joined and they became a stable. Many members joined and left over the years. At one point, pretty much every Colony member other than Fire Ant had been taken off the board due to career-ending injury or whatever (Soldier Ant had lost his sight, Worker Ant II had his back destroyed, etc.). Fire Ant became an angry loner who viciously beat down those responsible.

Two rookies took the gimmicks of Green Ant II and Thief Ant and started calling themselves the Colony. Fire Ant kicked their asses and told them to drop the gimmick, either to protect them or because he considered them a mockery. They tried to win him over a few times, but he wasn't having it. They considered giving up, but Soldier Ant appeared before them to insist they keep at it. Fire Ant, Green Ant II and Thief Ant ended up teaming for King of Trios and won the whole thing. Fire Ant accepted them as the Colony and all was well.

Now even with Chikara long gone, Green Ant II and Thief Ant are still around as Electro Ant and Ultimo Ant and still call themselves the Colony.

Man, I miss Chikara.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Willie Mack is facing Cage on Rampage this week. Is this Mack's biggest television audience ever?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Willie Mack is facing Cage on Rampage this week. Is this Mack's biggest television audience ever?

If he was on Lucha Underground season 1, no. They were on UniMas before getting canceled on that network at the end of Season 1, so that would have been a larger audience than Rampage.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

MassRafTer posted:

If he was on Lucha Underground season 1, no. They were on UniMas before getting canceled on that network at the end of Season 1, so that would have been a larger audience than Rampage.

Fittingly, Willie Mack's biggest television audience would probably be Ultima Lucha, where he took on Brian Cage.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
Clearly Willie Mack's biggest audience was wrestling Brian Cage on Elevation last week.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

JBL was lovely and his time as champion and/ or title contender sucked so much rear end.

Would it have been better and more believable if he had remained APA-style Bradshaw instead of the rich longhorn financial guru character?

I ask simply because i always popped for acolyte Bradshaw but can't even imagine ever getting excited for jbl

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

titties posted:

JBL was lovely and his time as champion and/ or title contender sucked so much rear end.

Would it have been better and more believable if he had remained APA-style Bradshaw instead of the rich longhorn financial guru character?

I ask simply because i always popped for acolyte Bradshaw but can't even imagine ever getting excited for jbl

Yep, same. Loved the APA, and him and Faarooq wrecking poo poo and his goddamn clothesline. The JBL poo poo bored me to tears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

titties posted:

Before I knew about all the bullying and poo poo, I disliked JBL as champ because he just looked like some schlubby guy. He needed a shirt more than Ric Flair did in TNA.