Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: bunnyofdoom)

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Your neighbourhood should get escalators going up and down the hill like Hong Kong

If Vancouver can achieve the density of Hong Kong, I'll support this. For now, I'd rather us actually build up around our stations and ditch RS-1 zoning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

COPE 27 posted:

I live in a commuter town in Quebec, but at least I can walk to multiple deps in under 5 minutes, a main street with 2 dozen business in 15 minutes, or a grocery store in 15 minutes.

Even if I'm being lazy and drive it's really nice not to have to get on the loving highway to buy groceries like living in North York.

That sounds great. I live in a commuter town in the GTA and I’m a 30 minute walk from the nearest grocery store.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Yeah man it's not easy being an anglo here and my house isn't big enough but if I move back to Ontario there is nowhere I could live that I could meet all my needs within a 15 minute walk. Even my doctor, dry cleaner, butcher... It's such an improvement for my quality of life it more than makes up for the longer work\commuting hours and it let us go down to 1 car.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

The best thing about living where you live now, wherever it is and regardless of who you are, is that it's the cheapest place you'll live for the rest of your life!

We takes those silver linings wheres we can gets 'em.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Your neighbourhood should get escalators going up and down the hill like Hong Kong

Hmmm, but where do the cars go? Confusing!

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Albino Squirrel posted:

What's the 'other' bit in the middle of the main peninsula? It looks like very large RS-1 houses on Google Maps, around Shaughnessy Park. Is it like, extra-special single-family zoning?

West point grey was especially fun when I was a little kid as I lived in Jericho base housing, and because of locale went to school there. Even as a 5-6 year old you could feel the seething rage rich bitches had both over a poor being in their school and how they would constantly bitch that Jericho base should be torn down for more mansions so poors wouldn't infect the area.

Best bit of work the Canadian army ever did, hope they be a thorn in twat sides forever

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Man the Public Service Alliance of Canada keeps winning. I got *another* retroactive increase to my pay. :haw:

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009
Hey how's The Bay holding up these days?

https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/here-is-where-25-new-zellers-stores-will-open-in-canada-this-year-1.6235651

oh cool I'm sure some necromancy will go over great. Not like Target didn't already crash and burn trying to keep these department stores open.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Orthanc6 posted:

Hey how's The Bay holding up these days?

https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/here-is-where-25-new-zellers-stores-will-open-in-canada-this-year-1.6235651

oh cool I'm sure some necromancy will go over great. Not like Target didn't already crash and burn trying to keep these department stores open.

Target was trying to open over 100 stores in its first two years while simultaneously building a new corporate culture and inventory system from scratch. Location wasn't necessarily the issue

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

No restaraunt? Smh fake Zellers

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.
Unless things dramatically change I can't see opening physical retail chains being a winning strategy.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

ZShakespeare posted:

Unless things dramatically change I can't see opening physical retail chains being a winning strategy.

That's why they're doing e-commerce too, which might have a chance of doing better given that amazon.ca sucks poo poo. I wouldn't put money on it, though.

I laughed at the nostalgia aspect of it in CBC's video, check this poo poo out:

Hell yeah give me those memories of the Bayview Village Kmart but with 4x higher prices and also it's a smaller concept now??

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

That man is on so much cocaine

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
They're popups inside of existing The Bay locations. They're resurrecting their discount brand, but they're not really spending any money to do it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Who the gently caress is nostalgic for Zellers. What the hell did Zellers have.

Now Sizzler, that’s nostalgia.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Kibayasu posted:

Sizzeller's

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Kibayasu posted:

A union.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

Where the gently caress is my Ponderosa popup

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

The electronics section in the last few years of their existent became the go-to place for "obscure as poo poo" PC games for me. I found out about Paradox from them.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Kibayasu posted:

They had a diner that some people liked, purely for nostalgia reasons. Of course the new popups don't have them.

They also had marginally lower prices than the rest of HBC retail, presumably they will again. Given that their direct competition will be Walmart Canada, I don't think they're actually going to be price competitive in any sense.

Randalor posted:

The electronics section in the last few years of their existent became the go-to place for "obscure as poo poo" PC games for me. I found out about Paradox from them.

You could buy new in box N64 games from them in 2007 because they seemingly never cleared dead stock

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Bringing back Zellers is actually a good segmentation play imo, especially considering that they aren't generating enough margin to pay their leases and in pretty sure their vendors are squeezing them on credit terms too. This might let them pivot back to a higher segment at the bay without losing too much customer traffic at the low end. They're gonna go bankrupt anyway so why not give it a shot.

Re: target, they do a least gave the p&d infrastructure to support their store conversions.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Kibayasu posted:

I have nostalgia for being accompanied by my mom as she sifted through all of the cheapest clothes she could find because she refused to spend money at other stores, while simultaneously sighing every time I was too big for the clothes she found.

No, wait, the opposite of that. Nightmares. I have nightmares of going through that again.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

mojo1701a posted:

I have nostalgia for being accompanied by my mom as she sifted through all of the cheapest clothes she could find because she refused to spend money at other stores, while simultaneously sighing every time I was too big for the clothes she found.

No, wait, the opposite of that. Nightmares. I have nightmares of going through that again.

Just think though, you now have an opportunity to put your own children through the same experiences that shaped you as a person!

A real Old Stock Canadian ExperienceTM

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Furnaceface posted:

Just think though, you now have an opportunity to put your own children through the same experiences that shaped you as a person!

A real Old Stock Canadian ExperienceTM

I guess finally being considered "old stock" would do my immigrant family proud, given how many of them complain about foreigners :v:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
bring back biway

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Was Zellers that expensive? I guess it was, don't really remember. It going away and Target exploding violently left some awful big gaps in a lot of neighbourhoods for sure though.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Tighclops posted:

bring back biway

C.f. my Zellers problem, but worse.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

DaysBefore posted:

Was Zellers that expensive?

Their prices were legally mandated.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

DaysBefore posted:

Was Zellers that expensive? I guess it was, don't really remember. It going away and Target exploding violently left some awful big gaps in a lot of neighbourhoods for sure though.

They used to be really cheap when they were competing with heavy discounters like kmart, giant tigre etc.

When Walmart came to canada they actually invested a bit in higher quality and competed for the same segment so people might have felt that was expensive compared to before, but it was actually not bad.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.
I went into The Bay at metrotown last year and it reminded me a lot of Sears just before they went under.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

eXXon posted:

That's why they're doing e-commerce too, which might have a chance of doing better given that amazon.ca sucks poo poo. I wouldn't put money on it, though.

If there is one thing I have confidence in Zellers to do it's not adequately copy Amazon's thing (using the postal service instead of having physical locations and selling things at a loss until all the competition gives up).

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

ZShakespeare posted:

I went into The Bay at metrotown last year and it reminded me a lot of Sears just before they went under.

Oh right, the husk of Target/Zellers at Metrotown turned into.... Walmart. After a few years of being a void. Yeah the Bay has been a dead man walking since before Covid. If I was on their board I'd be looking for ways to convince Amazon to turn the stores into warehouses yesterday. I don't even pass through the one at Granville station when transferring from Canada Line cause the layout is so awkward it doesn't feel like a shortcut.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Raj Sherman, former PC MLA in Alberta, turned Liberal MLA, turned leader of the Liberal Party, turned unsuccessful candidate for the UCP leadership (and hence premier), has announced he is running for... UCP candidate for MLA in his old riding.

https://twitter.com/RajSherman/status/1616095066099183619

His professed beliefs, beyond "please elect me", are probably best described as a Lougheed Tory. Unfortunately, they don't exist anymore, so he's left to run again and again in a quest for relevance.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Bring back SAAN

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Bring back Bargin Harold’s.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

StealthArcher posted:

Bring back SAAN

Real heads know

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Like 3 years ago I found a jar of granulated garlic in my mom's pantry from bi-way.

She moved in 2005.

Also, gently caress Raj Sherman. Take your stupid red/wrapped pickup truck and just like loving stop trying for a decade.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
The last time I was in a Bay we were using it as a shortcut to bypass cops when we were storming out of the Skytrain station before the riot started.

StealthArcher posted:

Bring back SAAN
This guy knows what's up. SA you can fix a girls wifi and you grew up with the best cheap clothing store for back to school.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Cocaine Bear posted:

Their prices were legally mandated.

Well done!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vu9Xo-FEkyI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
Can't be worse than any other idea they've had. They're just rebranding small sections of existing stores, it's basically free in comparison to what Target did.