Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

klonere posted:

One of my goals for this first, real, proper fort of mine was to have a thriving library and academic quarter, however I believe I may have made a grave mistake in allowing too much intellectual freedom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

I can pretty much guarantee the elves wouldn't be fans of that construction.

You say that, but all those hypocritical assholes will ever sell me are wooden goods. What are they, the Catholic church?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

mdct posted:

Embrace Wood, Build a 5-Story Titanic Wooden Structure Above Ground
Wood Rules Everything Around Me

let me know when the fire-breathing forest titan shows up

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Baronjutter posted:

Any tips on dealing with the hidden fun stuff mining ? The monsters that come out are totally immune to traps, which seems like a bit of a lazy way to make them tougher, and the poor miner who digs them up are always toast immediately. Even with a big military squad nearby I always lose at least a couple miners and a few troops, more if it's a nasty web spitter or some other terrible roll of the dice.

If there were only a few demons or whatever inside that would be one thing, but dealing with layer after layer of this it becomes a real grind.

if you're clever about warm and wet designations, you can get semi-frequent situations where you breach locations that are simultaneously adjacent to water and lava, exposing a horror that's been entombed in the earth and immediately re-trapping it in obsidian

beyond that yeah, "sacrificial one-at-a-time unhappy miners", cheer up or die

klonere
Nov 1, 2016

Cup Runneth Over posted:

You could set them to only do assigned tasks and then don't put them on any work details. But they will eventually get upset because they feel a need for self-actualization and creative fulfillment.

Yeah that is one of the issues with them too, while my fort is relatively secure, they are quite active killing things - between doing menial tasks or drills when off-duty, they aren't getting that whole self-actualization thing going at all.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

I think you'd have to make all labors require assignment and then just not assign them to do anything. That, or lock them in some room with a food stockpile and some shrine to pray at or something.

Stress is odd, though; those military dwarfs probably are happy enough doing their individual drills on their own time. Its not just a simple +/- mood thing but requires time away from anything upsetting. Some denizens just seem incapable of chilling out - I had to send away one guy since he just refused to ever stop being upset at everything and finally murdered someone in a tantrum.

I'm definitely stuck with a few workaholics who are going to stress themselves into a murder suicide spree. Oh dwarves :allears:

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
none of my scholars or scribes were writing anything. i had the idea that maybe it was because they had zero education whatsoever and thus decided to peek around to see if there was any nearby site i could appropriate some knowledge from

turns out there was some ruins nearby that were basically the library of loving alexandria

lets see if this attracts any nerds

e:

what the gently caress is this

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 17, 2023

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

If you have enemies turned off does that also disable missions? Or do I need to build some military structure to enable it

I think I’m going to turn enemies back on now that I know more of what I’m doing and see what happens. I would very much like to go burn the elven forests.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Promontory posted:

I began a campaign of destroying necromancer towers. I screened the pillaged books for the secrets of life and death and devised a way of destroying them for good. I placed flammable pedestals at the lowest level of my fort, had the books placed on them and then filled the room with magma.

I accidentally had a pedestal of magma-safe stone placed, but figured the book would be scorched anyway. It didn't, since the book is probably considered a part of the pedestal building.

Now in the deepest part of my dungeons there's a smoke-filled stone chamber housing the cursed Book of the Dwarf, forever menacing with malice.
I just throw them in my volcano. It's perfectly safe so long as magma crabs don't learn how to read.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Wet.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

nicknaming this one joss whedon

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Baronjutter posted:

Any tips on dealing with the hidden fun stuff mining ? The monsters that come out are totally immune to traps, which seems like a bit of a lazy way to make them tougher, and the poor miner who digs them up are always toast immediately. Even with a big military squad nearby I always lose at least a couple miners and a few troops, more if it's a nasty web spitter or some other terrible roll of the dice.

If there were only a few demons or whatever inside that would be one thing, but dealing with layer after layer of this it becomes a real grind.

Can they use doors? Make a hallway between your dig and your settlement with lever-operated spikes inside and box them in by forbidding the doors on either side. Once they're inside repeatedly pull the lever until they're dead.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Friend posted:

Last time on Cudgellock...

Well, the pleasure palace of Cudgellock is no more. The human village that had been taken over by a necromancer sent 3 Ruined Ones and two, I dunno, ghost monsters? and have killed all but two of my citizens and are currently making their way through my many many performers and random visitors.

The only ones who may survive are Clappy and a baby that got thrown in her cell shortly after I took during the melee.

The lesson? Plan wisely and invest in good security, or your dwarf party zone may also become a fyre festival. Or don't ignore everything and focus entirely on a tavern from day one.

Edit: oh jeez a huge performing troupe just showed up to visit :ohno:

Friend fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 17, 2023

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

itry posted:

Can they use doors? Make a hallway between your dig and your settlement with lever-operated spikes inside and box them in by forbidding the doors on either side. Once they're inside repeatedly pull the lever until they're dead.

Not sure I'd recommend getting used to doing this method, as it only works because big monsters can't destroy buildings atm, which is something I imagine they will fix relatively fast.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

still just a Dabbling Reader. i guess theyre all picture books.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

Tiler Kiwi posted:

e:

I'm almost positive this is a goblin horoscope reference book where they use their wart patterns to determine which star-sign they are.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Chewbot posted:

I'm almost positive this is a goblin horoscope reference book where they use their wart patterns to determine which star-sign they are.

I can't tell if you're joking

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

ChickenWing posted:

Naturally, right after asking this I was able to google the right combination of words and found an old-rear end bug that's still hanging around in some fashion. Basically, your moody dwarf can claim something that they're not allowed to have, for some reason (in my case, I think it might have been that I stopped letting children do chores?), and then they'll just keep grabbing everything that's not that while they wait for the item to become accessible.

lol

e:

bastard

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

a streamer i watch had a good idea for a pit
windows surrounding it at the bottom, dining hall/tavern built around the outside, my citizens and visitors can watch as our enemies are thrown to their deaths

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Doesnt that panic the dwarves because they saw an enemy?

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

bonus: it teaches them not to be pussies

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

hbag posted:

a streamer i watch had a good idea for a pit
windows surrounding it at the bottom, dining hall/tavern built around the outside, my citizens and visitors can watch as our enemies are thrown to their deaths

I did something similar in an old fortress once—built an enormous maze surrounding a chamber with a captured bronze colossus inside. I’d dump all invaders caught with cage traps there. The entire ceiling of the maze was made from clear glass with a dining hall/meeting area up top so my dwarves could look down and watch the colossus beat the piss out of goblins while they ate.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

Cowman posted:

I can't tell if you're joking

DF is one of the only games where it's nearly impossible to tell if something is intentional, a bug, or completely fabricated because anything *could* be possible. I got annoyed with the game a couple weeks back for being so opaque, but got sucked back into it and can't stop playing.

TheAwfulWaffle
Jun 30, 2013

itry posted:

I haven't tried this with the Steam version yet, but it's been my go-to solution to trapavoid monsters for a long time. Dig a narrow hall containing 30-40 menacing copper spikes in 3-4 tiles, all linked to the same lever with some bait at the end. Seal it with a drawbridge or put a locked hatch above it, let the gribblies inside and put the lever on repeat.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Crash bug talk:

Still getting a consistent save crash, and I've narrowed it down to one of my squads returning from raiding a monastery. I've tried disbanding the squad, but it still crashes when the save is at the "offloading units" portion. I'm kind of tired of troubleshooting it, but later I'll try dumping their loot into magma, and then exiling the squad to see if any of that helps. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the returning raiders, unless it's something off-screen that I'm unaware of. Will follow up on this if I find a solution in case anyone else has a similar problem.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is there a mod or anything that makes the various cheesy monsters that are trap immune to be not trap immune? I don't care if they're super agile or whatever and have a good chance to jump out of the way, that's cool. But just flat out magical trap immunity sucks.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i built a bunch of dedicated temples for all the gods my citizens worship, but... theyre just still going to the general one (or a different god's temple) and complaining about being unable to pray to their god
like... just walk across the hall man. it's right there

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Friend posted:

Well, the pleasure palace of Cudgellock is no more. The human village that had been taken over by a necromancer sent 3 Ruined Ones and two, I dunno, ghost monsters? and have killed all but two of my citizens and are currently making their way through my many many performers and random visitors.

The only ones who may survive are Clappy and a baby that got thrown in her cell shortly after I took during the melee.

The lesson? Plan wisely and invest in good security, or your dwarf party zone may also become a fyre festival. Or don't ignore everything and focus entirely on a tavern from day one.

Edit: oh jeez a huge performing troupe just showed up to visit :ohno:

Alas :smith: all opulence must come to an end. but you flew high and proud before the sun melted your wings, and that is no thing to be ashamed of

hbag posted:

i built a bunch of dedicated temples for all the gods my citizens worship, but... theyre just still going to the general one (or a different god's temple) and complaining about being unable to pray to their god

I had multiple temples set up for various religions based around Rakust, god of death in that world, and still had multiple dwarves who were members of that religion and used the temples with unfulfilled needs to pray to Rakust

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 18, 2023

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
PSA: after about 170 hours I discovered you can hit alt + or alt - to increase or decrease the game speed. You won't be able to see exactly how much unless you have framerate turned on in the game options. The increment is fairly small so you gotta do it a couple times to notice a difference. Useful for combats where you're trying to follow along.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

im almost done digging the pit this tavern is gonna kick rear end
will probably add a door at the bottom so i can go loot their poo poo and/or melt their bodies without having to rig up a whole pump thing. not like theyre gonna escape after a 20 level drop anyway

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

hbag posted:

Yeah the game's chock full of stuff like this. I know a lot of older players think it's part of the charm but I'd love to see some actual development time put into getting rid of this sort of frustrating jank.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah the game's chock full of stuff like this. I know a lot of older players think it's part of the charm but I'd love to see some actual development time put into getting rid of this sort of frustrating jank.

It's because a lot of the systems, while expansive and detailed, are kind of half-baked, and Toady has admitted that he doesn't find Fortress Mode very interesting as a game and strongly prefers Adventure Mode, so I strongly suspect that many decades-long-standing bugs still have yet to be fixed primarily because he doesn't play his own game.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Fortress mode, the game mode that inspired titanic games such as minecraft and other open ended builder games, isn’t interesting to him?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Fortress mode, the game mode that inspired titanic games such as minecraft and other open ended builder games, isn’t interesting to him?

No. He's given interviews and talks on the background behind why he created the game. Fortress Mode was intended as an arcade-style mode where you built up the dungeon that your adventurer would delve, racking up as high a score as possible to create a maximum high score for your adventurer. It's called Slaves to Armok 2 because the original Slaves to Armok game was the prototype for Adventure Mode. Adventure Mode always came first.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

Cup Runneth Over posted:

It's because a lot of the systems, while expansive and detailed, are kind of half-baked, and Toady has admitted that he doesn't find Fortress Mode very interesting as a game and strongly prefers Adventure Mode, so I strongly suspect that many decades-long-standing bugs still have yet to be fixed primarily because he doesn't play his own game.

To be sympathetic, if I were working on a game for 20 years I would also not play it for fun. Hell, I worked on games for 4 years that I would never touch again. But I also suspect the infrastructure for a game of this complexity with one programmer is a labyrinth of indecipherable edge cases with systems stacked on systems. At some point you try to fix one thing and you create 15 new problems.

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

I’m struggling to figure out the basics of minecarts. I’m trying to build a simple system that takes ore from a mine area and dumps it in a stockpile. Do I need a linked input stockpile, or will dwarves fill a minecart at a route stop near the mine area?

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

It is spattered with mandrill blood.

exe cummings posted:

I’m struggling to figure out the basics of minecarts. I’m trying to build a simple system that takes ore from a mine area and dumps it in a stockpile. Do I need a linked input stockpile, or will dwarves fill a minecart at a route stop near the mine area?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nukLYaUYZgo

Cowman fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 18, 2023

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

oh my god. the fuckers were making coffins out of dolomite. now i need to go exhume a bunch of corpses

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
gently caress it. I'm retiring this fort. Between the agitated wildlife and the loving merchants throwing themselves off a waterfall it's far too annoying. I'm gonna reload my save to watch what happens when merchants arrive.

e: Ok, so they are just straight up leaping into the river, to enter my fort via... a downward slope which is blocked off with fortifications and a floodgate, or the exit for the water just above that.

But there's no stairs for them to get OUT of the cistern once they get in, do they just expect the horses to climb the walls?

Zeruel fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 18, 2023

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

thats it im confiscating their stupid hammers, they clearly dont need them anymore

e: also toady now has a second programmer on his team, which is very excited because its likely they probably find fortress mode more interesting than toady does and maybe will do things related to it, who knows

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Tiler Kiwi posted:

thats it im confiscating their stupid hammers, they clearly dont need them anymore

Not all dwarves know the five point palm exploding heart technique

Also, thanks dfhack

yes I know this means like 2 cloth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

some rear end in a top hat citizen in my fort inherited a county somewhere when the old count died while visiting and now shes making demands and export bans
bitch this isnt even your territory!!!!