Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I've been the one saying "It's stupider than you think" so it'd be on brand for me to be wrong about this, but wasn't the point of Roko's Basilisk not that you could be tortured, but that there is no ontological difference between you and a perfect simulation of you, so you should care about a future simulation of yourself being tortured as much as you would care about your current self in the year 2023 being tortured?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
The more I think about it the less sense it makes. Like, wouldn't the AI decide to not go through with the simulation 100% of the time because it already exists, so it knows follow through is unnecessary? The threat of simulation in the past did literally as much as it could possibly do, and no amount of torture in the future would change the outcome.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

morningdrew posted:

Christ, they had a lot of kegerators

some of it might have been beer but a lot of places want to do either kegged kombucha or kegged nitro cold brew

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
If anybody has questions go here -- https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Roko%27s_basilisk

The entire premise is ridiculous but there were still some people that took it seriously.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

mysterious frankie posted:

The more I think about it the less sense it makes. Like, wouldn't the AI decide to not go through with the simulation 100% of the time because it already exists, so it knows follow through is unnecessary? The threat of simulation in the past did literally as much as it could possibly do, and no amount of torture in the future would change the outcome.

goatface posted:

It only makes sense if you're a paranoid over-educated idiot who has invested themselves in the ultimate catastrophe lifestyle.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The point is that if it simulates a milion of you, you're scared of the probability that you're actually one of the million simulations and not the one real person.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Strategic Tea posted:

The point is that if it simulates a milion of you, you're scared of the probability that you're actually one of the million simulations and not the one real person.

Yeah but you already know you’re not, for certain. It would just be that future clone’s misfortune, not your own.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Look, Roko's Basilisk won't hurt you as long as you teach it to draw hands properly.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

The Basilisk is a wound from which the concept of knowledge must recover. To steal a line from a review of a terrible RPG, there are entire medical textbooks now blank to fill the void left by the anti-knowledge of Roko's Basilisk.

He's one of the few people who I think we can safely say actually subtracted from the sum of human knowledge.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
AIs need humans far more than humans need AIs.

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit
https://www.nsnews.com/local-news/tesla-suddenly-accelerates-into-bc-ferries-ramp-breaks-in-two-6385255

The kicker here is that there wasn't even a ferry docked at the berth. No one was killed, and the two passengers were taken to the hospital in stable condition. Looks to just be another "mysterious Tesla mechanical issue." lol and lmao

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Pastel Candy Snake posted:

https://www.nsnews.com/local-news/tesla-suddenly-accelerates-into-bc-ferries-ramp-breaks-in-two-6385255

The kicker here is that there wasn't even a ferry docked at the berth. No one was killed, and the two passengers were taken to the hospital in stable condition. Looks to just be another "mysterious Tesla mechanical issue." lol and lmao

It's not a tesla crash, just a tesela-involved crash.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

RocketMermaid posted:

Look, Roko's Basilisk won't hurt you as long as you teach it to draw hands properly.

Take a good look at your hands. A real good look. If they seem weird then you are in a simulation.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Because, by you using your Rationality to predict the existence and behaviour of the God AI far in the future, and by it using its powers to reverse entropy and perfectly recreate a simulation of you, you can communicate and influence each other ~~ACROSS TIME ITSELF~~.

Or, to put it another way, if the AI wouldn't need to follow through on the torture, then you'd predict that it wouldn't, and it'd predict that you'd predict that it wouldn't, so therefore it has to follow through anyways. Which you of course predicted, and realized that the God AI would follow through regardless, and the God AI predicted that you'd realize that, so now it doesn't need to follow through. Which of course you also predicted...

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The biggest mistake with Tesla's FSD is that they're training the AI with data provided by people who drive Teslas.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Roko's basilisk is just that dril tweet: the wise man bowed his head and spoke "there's actually no difference between good and bad things you idiot, you imbecile." Taken to extremes

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

It all works fine as long as you're happy an infinite unknowable god would have the exact same reasoning and goals as a grifter who eats flavored nutrient paste instead of food because it leaves more time 4 coding.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Maybe it'll be an AI that hates people who work towards the suffering of others and punishes the Basilisk people. Inverse Roko's Basilisk.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
Guys, this basilisk poo poo is literally the stupidest thing I have ever heard of or read about. Please stop talking about it. If anyone ever brings this poo poo up to me in person I am going to punch them in their loving teeth.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
While we're here watch this poo poo -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCgoxQCf5Jg

Down the Rabbit Hole Temple OS, it's tangentially related to all this other crazy stuff.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Telarra posted:

Because, by you using your Rationality to predict the existence and behaviour of the God AI far in the future, and by it using its powers to reverse entropy and perfectly recreate a simulation of you, you can communicate and influence each other ~~ACROSS TIME ITSELF~~.

Or, to put it another way, if the AI wouldn't need to follow through on the torture, then you'd predict that it wouldn't, and it'd predict that you'd predict that it wouldn't, so therefore it has to follow through anyways. Which you of course predicted, and realized that the God AI would follow through regardless, and the God AI predicted that you'd realize that, so now it doesn't need to follow through. Which of course you also predicted...

lol, dear lord.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

ishikabibble posted:

front trunk

it's a word

because what the hell else would you call it when your car has a trunk in both the front and rear

Are you telling me elephants actually have frunks?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Yeah if you tell Twitter you don't like Nazis you're going to see more of them. Good stuff. Very smart and intelligence.

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit
Roku Presents: Basilisk

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Yeah but you already know you’re not, for certain. It would just be that future clone’s misfortune, not your own.

No you don't, because it would be a perfect simulation of your entire life up to the point where you had a definite choice between feeding your family and feeding Yud's addiction to anime figurines

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

is it cool with you guys if I become Roko's Basilisk

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Dabir posted:

No you don't, because it would be a perfect simulation of your entire life up to the point where you had a definite choice between feeding your family and feeding Yud's addiction to anime figurines

I know that This One would not be punished. The fact that there will be one in the far, far future who is not This One but believes themself to be This One, and that one would be tortured, well it just don’t effect This One.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

arsenicCatnip posted:

I trust ya.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

arsenicCatnip posted:

I am not going to pay you money so you can not torture a future clone of me!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Roko's basilisk is the most annoying enemy in Soulsborne games

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I know that This One would not be punished. The fact that there will be one in the far, far future who is not This One but believes themself to be This One, and that one would be tortured, well it just don’t effect This One.
But it's a perfect simulation, you couldn't know that you're not the original you until it happens. Like, this is the one part of it that isn't completely stupid. The rest of it is gibberish, but the idea that you can't truly know anything beyond the fact that you personally exist in some manner is the kind of thing that's been keeping philosophy students up at night for centuries.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Dabir posted:

But it's a perfect simulation, you couldn't know that you're not the original you until it happens. Like, this is the one part of it that isn't completely stupid. The rest of it is gibberish, but the idea that you can't truly know anything beyond the fact that you personally exist in some manner is the kind of thing that's been keeping philosophy students up at night for centuries.

I ain’t worried.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

alf_pogs posted:

Roko's basilisk is the most annoying enemy in Soulsborne games

Thx for spoiliing BloodBorne II

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Speaking of assuming things must be less stupid than they are, it dawns on me that I always assumed FSD was never actually a defined Tesla feature. I'd always assumed that Tesla legally defined it as a driver assistance/cruise control feature and had a EULA somewhere which says that you must still remain alert and keep your hands on the wheel and feet on the pedals at all times, like any other car, while just pointedly ignoring Elon misleadingly hyping the feature because he's too rich to be charged with false advertising.

I think I'm still mentally rejecting the idea that the company is actually beta testing, on public roads, something they contractually define as an autopilot feature, because that cannot possibly be legal.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I ain’t worried.

And that's the final flaw with the whole thing. Even if all its insane ideas about how reality works are true, you can get out of it by going "no it won't".

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Dabir posted:

And that's the final flaw with the whole thing, even if all its insane ideas about how reality works are true, you can get out of it by going "no it won't".

Yeah but no it won’t.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Exactly.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

You invent AI. You wash your hands.

You invent AI. You wash your hands.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

The tl;dr on why Roko's Basilisk works on some people, is because scifi nerds are incredibly gullible so long as you present whatever insane scenario in terms of scifi goodies like artificial intelligence and simulations. They've already emotionally bought in on the idea of those things becoming real some day, so they will take them at face value in any hypothetical. See also: all the nerds convinced this new generation of chatbots are sentient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
It's the way of the future.