Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

mcmagic posted:

The funny thing about Kenobi was the pilot was actually pretty good!!!!!! not sure what happened.

Hmmm we're just gonna have to agree to disagree on this one because I was about a third of the way out the door by the end of it. But I felt it got even worse from there, so the whole "it declined over time" seems to track to both of us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I watched one of the ewok movies and it was'nt bad, def made for tv vibes but had the same gritty space junk aesthetic as the old movies that the new ones tried to recapture

definitely was better than the power rangers episode of boba fett

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

A MIRACLE posted:

I watched one of the ewok movies and it was'nt bad, def made for tv vibes but had the same gritty space junk aesthetic as the old movies that the new ones tried to recapture

I don't know how or why the art got lost but for whatever reason it's really hard for modern day production design to do "gritty" correctly (and I don't just mean 'aping the 80s dirty fantasy aesthetic', for example Se7en does gritty in a completely different way and it works) . Watching Willow The Movie and Willow The Show back to back was insane; the new one looks like a Golan-Globus product. Andor built an entire mining town set and the closest they got to "this feels gritty and lived it" was "pretty good" in my opinion. Something is lacking.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I don't know how or why the art got lost but for whatever reason it's really hard for modern day production design to do "gritty" correctly (and I don't just mean 'aping the 80s dirty fantasy aesthetic', for example Se7en does gritty in a completely different way and it works) . Watching Willow The Movie and Willow The Show back to back was insane; the new one looks like a Golan-Globus product. Andor built an entire mining town set and the closest they got to "this feels gritty and lived it" was "pretty good" in my opinion. Something is lacking.

Speaking of this, I watched Prisoners this past weekend after realizing I never saw it.

It was pretty good (I thought the performances were great, but there was too much focus on mood and nothing developed at all about the "villains." Felt like any motivation or backstory were just given in a few throwaway lines).

But the stars of that movie are the locations/production design/cinematography. God that poo poo feels *bleak*.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

mcmagic posted:

The funny thing about Kenobi was the pilot was actually pretty good!!!!!! not sure what happened.

It’s because “Kenobi sits in the dirt and sadly contemplates the years of failure and regret that led him to this moment” was always going to be the most interesting part of that show. And of course it also ended up being the aspect that was least explored in favor of some dumb adventure that didn’t need to happen in the first place.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

A MIRACLE posted:

I used to love the ewok movies as a kid, but had never seen any Star Wars movie, so I had no idea they were related. When I finally watched the original trilogy in 8th grade, I was floored when the ewoks showed up.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

People paid for Obi-Wan/Darth Vader fights, along with Darth Vader doing lots of gnarly Darth Vader stuff, and they got some.

We also explained how Leia knew Obi-Wan, which is critical information. She was kidnapped by Flea.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Every single thing in Kenobi originated as a throwaway line in A New Hope that the worst kind of fans could never just take at face value worldbuilding and always demanded an overwrought explanation for.

A whole lot of Disney Star Wars is the fandom reaping what it’s been sowing for 30 years and completely rejecting what little original and interesting material they’ve been given. I’m almost shocked Andor has been so widely well-received because it’s not just 10 episodes of references.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Lmao is The Drop a sequel to The Slap???

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

precision posted:

Lmao is The Drop a sequel to The Slap???

No. I was just fooling around. However it seemed thematically linked a lil' bit so I went there. It's also very funny to me that there would be some sort of cinematic universe about a bunch of child abusers.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Mando is good.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
yes Michael Mando, who played Nacho on Better Call Saul, is amazing.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Every single thing in Kenobi originated as a throwaway line in A New Hope that the worst kind of fans could never just take at face value worldbuilding and always demanded an overwrought explanation for.

A whole lot of Disney Star Wars is the fandom reaping what it’s been sowing for 30 years and completely rejecting what little original and interesting material they’ve been given. I’m almost shocked Andor has been so widely well-received because it’s not just 10 episodes of references.

this is why i'll never watch any of these shows, no matter how good people say they are

these loving fans flipping their poo poo to TLJ is what gave us a complete turd for the finale in that trilogy. i'm so pissed that rian johnson couldn't finish the goddamn sequel trilogy. some loving committee of dickheads did it instead.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Sourdough Sam posted:

yes Michael Mando, who played Nacho on Better Call Saul, is amazing.

Speaking of, BCS’s final season was great but I’d be lying if Nacho’s relatively early death didn’t put a damper on the season for a few episodes.

Easily the 4th or 5th best character on the show behind Kim, Jimmy, and Chuck.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

these loving fans flipping their poo poo to TLJ is what gave us a complete turd for the finale in that trilogy. i'm so pissed that rian johnson couldn't finish the goddamn sequel trilogy. some loving committee of dickheads did it instead.

Yup, he was actually taking the series in an interesting direction. Then they poo poo the bed

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
FWIW, I don’t think Rian was ever on the shortlist to finish the sequel trilogy. He was only ever going to do TLJ and then move on to his own trilogy, and the stand-alone trilogy is what all the idiot fan overreactions killed.

Episode IX was always Trevorrow’s to helm until Book of Henry flopped and Carrie Fisher’s death necessitated pretty much a Page 1 rewrite.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's also worth noting that Trevorrow probably wouldn't have been canned just for Book Of Henry if people liked working with him. If someone's an rear end in a top hat that makes things difficult a flop is a lot more dangerous.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Somehow, star wars debate returned

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
TLJ also only seems okay-ish in comparison to how hilariously poo poo the end of that trilogy was, it was not a good movie

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Nah, it’s good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Inspector Hound posted:

Somehow, star wars debate returned

But the star wars refused to change...

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

This lit cringe slaps tho.
Cowabunga dudes

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

veni veni veni posted:

"adult animation" shows are also good for this.

this reminded me... over the garden wall on hbo max is really great. it's not adult animation, tho, its legit animation for children. i think it was on nickelodeon? but anyway it rocks and each episode is like 9 minutes which is great for poo poo attention spans like mine.

also star wars sucks, you guys.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I have people whose taste I actually respect recommending me Andor. Like people not into any stupid poo poo. People who werent emotionally moved by Spider-Man A Far Way Home or w/e that one with homeless mentally ill willem dafoe is. It's scary and it might eventually convince me.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Big Mean Jerk posted:

FWIW, I don’t think Rian was ever on the shortlist to finish the sequel trilogy. He was only ever going to do TLJ and then move on to his own trilogy, and the stand-alone trilogy is what all the idiot fan overreactions killed.

Episode IX was always Trevorrow’s to helm until Book of Henry flopped and Carrie Fisher’s death necessitated pretty much a Page 1 rewrite.

Nah, I remember news coming out saying that Rian was offered to do IX but turned it down because he was exhausted.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Papercut posted:

TLJ also only seems okay-ish in comparison to how hilariously poo poo the end of that trilogy was, it was not a good movie

You're right, it isn't good -- it's great.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
TLJ is a good sci-fi movie but not a good Star Wars movie

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I have people whose taste I actually respect recommending me Andor. Like people not into any stupid poo poo. People who werent emotionally moved by Spider-Man A Far Way Home or w/e that one with homeless mentally ill willem dafoe is. It's scary and it might eventually convince me.

Andor is a series of films about authoritarianism and revolution.The Star Wars setting is candy coating for man children that magically works.

It's a real good show.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I ended up watching Fleishman is in Trouble based on the recommendation of some people here, despite being totally uninterested by the trailer.

I absolutely loved it. Excellent choice to cast actors who got famous playing teenagers (Jessie Eisenberg, Lizzy Caplan, Adam Brody, Clare Danes) who are all now about 40 years old. I'm glad I binged it all instead of waiting to watch it week to week as I suspect I would have gotten frustrated with the pacing, but also would have forgotten some elements.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ShoogaSlim posted:

this reminded me... over the garden wall on hbo max is really great. it's not adult animation, tho, its legit animation for children. i think it was on nickelodeon? but anyway it rocks and each episode is like 9 minutes which is great for poo poo attention spans like mine.

also star wars sucks, you guys.

Oh is that finally streaming?? I paid like 30 bucks for a DVD copy a while ago because it was caught up in rights holder hell, glad it's really available now

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Nihonniboku posted:

I ended up watching Fleishman is in Trouble based on the recommendation of some people here, despite being totally uninterested by the trailer.

I absolutely loved it. Excellent choice to cast actors who got famous playing teenagers (Jessie Eisenberg, Lizzy Caplan, Adam Brody, Clare Danes) who are all now about 40 years old. I'm glad I binged it all instead of waiting to watch it week to week as I suspect I would have gotten frustrated with the pacing, but also would have forgotten some elements.

Yeah the complaint that it's too precious and White Guy Problems prolly only comes from people who turned it off after 20 minutes

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

precision posted:

Yeah the complaint that it's too precious and White Guy Problems prolly only comes from people who turned it off after 20 minutes

There were little things scattered throughout that gave me pause, just thought that was the theme of the show that they were going with, but they were clues that I probably would have forgotten had I not the binged. Hell, maybe I was too dense, but I didn't even realized until that one episode who the main character of the show was.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

precision posted:

Oh is that finally streaming?? I paid like 30 bucks for a DVD copy a while ago because it was caught up in rights holder hell, glad it's really available now

For a while it was steaming on prime but atm its only available to buy digital

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

yoohoo posted:

TLJ is a good sci-fi movie but not a good Star Wars movie

It'd be a terrible sci-fi movie. The main plot is in a holding pattern while the protagonist discovers herself, so it spends a bunch of time on subplots that don't end up really mattering that much. Its also pretty bloated. It'd really need its length cut down to be a good standalone sci-fi movie.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

For a while it was steaming on prime but atm its only available to buy digital

It's been on HBO Max for years, I rewatch it every October.

There's also this pilot episode/short available on YouTube. It's not officially part of the series but it's still good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-0vZeaIrFg

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I'm sure I'm going to be in the minority with this but The Last of Us just didn't do it for me on the first episode.

I mean it's definitely made competently and I'll watch the next few episodes... but it definitely just felt like more of the same wrt post-apocalyptic zombie stuff. I bounced off of it pretty hard.

The fungus stuff is cool... especially the sprouts coming out of the mouths... yuck. But all of the firefly rebellion, etc and pretty much everything just felt very surface level video game-y to me.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Is the main character in The Last of Us being sure to thoroughly search each room for collectibles

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
Word is they got rid of the spores? That was one of the coolest parts, I don't get it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Rental Sting posted:

Word is they got rid of the spores? That was one of the coolest parts, I don't get it.

They did. I have several theories why. First, the idea of spores being in a "contained" area is kind of dumb and only applies to video game logic. They'd just be invisible in the show obviously because its' more grounded in reality and that wouldn't make for interesting visuals or storytelling. You'd never really have a good mechanism for showing them in the show unless you made them comically big and things just get out of hand with viewer immersion then. It'd start to look farcical. Also it becomes an easy out that would lose the trust of the viewer.

"Oh they just weren't in there when the thought they were." "Oh actually surprise you didn't see the spores and now you're dead!"

You need to set a level of trust and ground rules with the viewer since they aren't in control of anything like a video game. Invisible spores, in my opinion, is too loose of a mechanism for a show to be able to set those rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
That's largely it They said Covid led to them realizing how greatly they underestimated airborne contaminants in the games and used the tendrils to address that but moreso so they didn't have another show where Pedro Pascal in a mask all the time.