Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

Naoto has the most heartbreaking scene in any modern Persona if you two-time her.

I haven't cheated on any LI, but yeah, I watched that in an LP, and I'm glad the P5 event is funnier overall and yes there are now consequences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Alder posted:

I haven't cheated on any LI, but yeah, I watched that in an LP, and I'm glad the P5 event is funnier overall and yes there are now consequences.

I am anxious to see that event again in Royal. My current romance route is: Inappropriate Run- all the adults: Kawakami, Takemi, Chihaya and Ohya.

I did my first Royal run with Makoto as best girl. I vaguely recall the scene from vanilla because I was advised to take the full harem route, so I did.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Makoto kind of drops off after the scene in Sojiro's house. I regret not giving Joker the billionaire wife.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

She's gonna lose it all trying to get a local coffee place off the ground. Sojiro's gonna wreck her once she starts being actual competition.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

No Wave posted:

Makoto kind of drops off after the scene in Sojiro's house. I regret not giving Joker the billionaire wife.

True, Joker would be an ideal trophy husband.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Makoto is a wannabe cop in a story that doesn't even portray cops 100% sympathetically. But she's also a dumbass teenage nerd who is still processing the trauma of her cop dad dying in the line of duty, so eh, whatever.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Makoto should obviously become a teacher or something else involved with kids. Her arc isn't a conflict between good and bad cops, it's about realizing that the adults in her life have failed her, and wanting to break that cycle. She spends the entire game acting like a big sister, to her students, to Eiko, to the Phantom Thieves and Futaba in particular, and to what's-her-face in Strikers, clearly out of instinct more than having a good model of that behavior.

I imagine she eventually grows out of the cop fantasy, doubly so if she ends up with Joker, who has a canonical anti-cop aura.

E: and the resolution to her conflict with her sister isn't for Sae to become a good cop, but for Sae to start supporting her again! the text of the game is literally telling you what you should be doing, Makoto!

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 17, 2023

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Makoto should obviously become a teacher or something else involved with kids. Her arc isn't a conflict between good and bad cops, it's about realizing that the adults in her life have failed her, and wanting to break that cycle. She spends the entire game acting like a big sister, to her students, to Eiko, to the Phantom Thieves and Futaba in particular, and to what's-her-face in Strikers, clearly out of instinct more than having a good model of that behavior.

I imagine she eventually grows out of the cop fantasy, doubly so if she ends up with Joker, who has a canonical anti-cop aura.

E: and the resolution to her conflict with her sister isn't for Sae to become a good cop, but for Sae to start supporting her again! the text of the game is literally telling you what you should be doing, Makoto!

Especially after Strikers adds Zenkichi telling her in no uncertain words that becoming a cop is a tremendously bad idea.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

On an old play through I intentionally delayed Makoto's rank 10 until after the story has caught up to the framing device, just to see if Makoto still proudly announces her dream of becoming a cop to the guy who she knows was beaten, tortured, and drugged by cops like just a couple weeks prior.

She does. :downs:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

If Makoto wants to fight crime she’s already got experience in full body suits, motorcycles and martial arts, she should just be Kamen Rider

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Plugging away at Strikers, I enjoyed the turn into survival horror for jail 4 and also how they let Ryuji say gently caress. It's interesting that the villain's plot at least in terms of how they propagandise it isn't much different from Maruki's one. Happiness through slavery instead of stagnation.

Despite starting on easy and complaining about how hard it was to track everything I've gotten a good handle on the rhythm of combat now, I cranked it back up to normal after the first boss went down too quick to be satisfying.

Also everyone keeps making GBS threads over Makoto's dream of becoming a cop and I love it. I even got to have Joker bring up how they brutalised him that time.

I took Futaba on the ferris wheel and then immediately told her it was a family outing before she could get too excited. I like that it gave you that option.

Also baseless supposition Zenkichi's wife was totally run over by a powerful politician who is actually running the conspiracy.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It's not really a contradiction without Sai Nijima the (eventually) good prosecutor shido wouldnt have been investigated at the end of P5R. The police in P5 being evil makes Makoto's ambitions better not worse (she wants to be in charge not follow orders). I dont think Makoto's character coheres in a rewarding way in general though, "fist of justice" isnt something she'd say but you hear it over and over.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

DC Murderverse posted:

If Makoto wants to fight crime she’s already got experience in full body suits, motorcycles and martial arts, she should just be Kamen Rider

:same:

I would support this confidant route as it's much more interesting than the official story IMHO

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

No Wave posted:

"fist of justice" isnt something she'd say but you hear it over and over.

Having literally just played through this part in Strikers, I'm going to say incorrect :v:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DC Murderverse posted:

Why is it the girls in Persona who should know to only trust their fists trust the police. :smith:

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Does Japan know ACAB? If not, someone tell them.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm gonna say they know it to about the extent we do. The cops might not kill quite as many people as in the West, but Japanese cops have plenty of institutional problems all their own.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
For more, see: The entire Ace Attorney series, and most of the Yakuza games (especially the Judgement duology).

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

Imagine my surprise getting that Makoto dialogue after picking Chie in 4 and also being mad about her choices :smith:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

mmkay posted:

Having literally just played through this part in Strikers, I'm going to say incorrect :v:

Literally the one miss I can think of in Strikers is that after P5 dodged having the bath house/hotsprings scene that is in every anime and is always exactly the same and is never funny, Strikers decides to have add it and spoilers: it is exactly the same as it always is and once again it is not funny.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

But women beating up men is inherently comedic, especially when it's not the man's fault. Plus you get to see your teenage cast in towels! Truly there is nothing weird about onsen scenes.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Sydin posted:

Literally the one miss I can think of in Strikers is that after P5 dodged having the bath house/hotsprings scene that is in every anime and is always exactly the same and is never funny, Strikers decides to have add it and spoilers: it is exactly the same as it always is and once again it is not funny.

I did like the bathhouse scene in Sapporo where after overhearing Futaba ramble on about Ann's boobs you can have Joker compliment Ryuji's abs. But yeah the bit in Kyoto sucked.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Ah bathhouse scenes, the moments that Fast Forward was made for.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Hey did you know Ann has boobs? Her shirt is sticking to them in the desert? And her dress got wet but lol, the fellas ain't looking!

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Bathhouse scene should exclusively include Joker, Yusuke, and Yusuke's lobsters imo.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HootTheOwl posted:

Hey did you know Ann has boobs? Her shirt is sticking to them in the desert? And her dress got wet but lol, the fellas ain't looking!
The desert scene was funny to me because Yusuke is staring at Makoto's back. guess he'd moved on...

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

No Wave posted:

The desert scene was funny to me because Yusuke is staring at Makoto's back. guess he'd moved on...

Good trapezius muscles are an art unto themselves.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Strikers is good in general, but I'm sort of conflicted on their portrayal of cops: Haru opens up strong with her initial reaction to Zenkichi, and I love it. Zenkichi himself is obviously a more complex situation because he's clearly meant to be a good dude who is buckling under the system, who rediscovers himself after being exposed to the unflinching idealism of the Phantom Thieves. I don't think he's perfect, but I feel that the intended message is "anyone has the capacity to do good if they actually stick to their principles," which I can respect.

But what on earth is Kaburagi's deal? She's clearly being set up as a villain, and then she starts off as giving off shades of Sae, trying to do her best in an inherently corrupt system and failing, but then her actual plan is to corruption her way to the top and then stop being corrupt when she's there. A plan that Zenkichi not only respects, but describes as the only reason he still has faith in the institution. A plan that is uncritically presented as sensible, even as we're shown, on-screen, that her bosses answer to whatever government officials, whose corruption is entirely outside her hierarchy. A plan that, solely on the back of the Phantom Thieves dismantling the current conspiracy, works out for her.

I get why they'd put in a horrible bathhouse scene, even if I don't care for it, and I get that Zenkichi had to be a good cop, but I absolutely do not get what they were going for with Kaburagi.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
It's amazing how if you swapped out the video game names for real life people we'd have entire forums to excusing it.

What I'm saying is what you've described basically is every politician ever

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I’m excited to play Person 3 today after thoroughly loving 4G and 5R. I’m a down rear end bitch for more of this stuff.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
yeah but persona 5 never tries to pretend that politicians are good people

except Yoshida, who is an actual good person and spends his entire arc getting bowled over and accepting that he may never personally make a difference, but that's no reason to stop fighting for those who some day might

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I'm pretty excited for P3P too I'm glad they are porting the best version of P3. Thinking about buying it on Steam just for easier modding even though it's on Game Pass.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Wonder if they'll ever get around to porting 1 and the 2 duology, probably not

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

As someone who likes to grind in dungeons forever I remember being frustrated by the stamina/sick mechanic when attempting to play FES like a decade ago, and being relieved when 4 and 5 didn’t have it. Does P3P keep it?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

roomtwofifteen posted:

As someone who likes to grind in dungeons forever I remember being frustrated by the stamina/sick mechanic when attempting to play FES like a decade ago, and being relieved when 4 and 5 didn’t have it. Does P3P keep it?

It's nearly a non factor

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

roomtwofifteen posted:

It doesn't happen in the middle of the dungeon anymore and only happens once you leave. So just do the entire thing in one night and it is a non issue.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

cheesetriangles posted:

It doesn't happen in the middle of the dungeon anymore and only happens once you leave. So just do the entire thing in one night and it is a non issue.

That's sort of disappointing honestly, that's one of the mechanics I actually think was really cool in P3 FES for a life sim

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 18, 2023

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It kind of exacerbates one of the core problems with P3 in that there just isn't enough stuff to do, especially at night, but I never liked getting kicked out of Tartarus so eh

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Strikers is good in general, but I'm sort of conflicted on their portrayal of cops: Haru opens up strong with her initial reaction to Zenkichi, and I love it. Zenkichi himself is obviously a more complex situation because he's clearly meant to be a good dude who is buckling under the system, who rediscovers himself after being exposed to the unflinching idealism of the Phantom Thieves. I don't think he's perfect, but I feel that the intended message is "anyone has the capacity to do good if they actually stick to their principles," which I can respect.

But what on earth is Kaburagi's deal? She's clearly being set up as a villain, and then she starts off as giving off shades of Sae, trying to do her best in an inherently corrupt system and failing, but then her actual plan is to corruption her way to the top and then stop being corrupt when she's there. A plan that Zenkichi not only respects, but describes as the only reason he still has faith in the institution. A plan that is uncritically presented as sensible, even as we're shown, on-screen, that her bosses answer to whatever government officials, whose corruption is entirely outside her hierarchy. A plan that, solely on the back of the Phantom Thieves dismantling the current conspiracy, works out for her.

I get why they'd put in a horrible bathhouse scene, even if I don't care for it, and I get that Zenkichi had to be a good cop, but I absolutely do not get what they were going for with Kaburagi.

I mean Kaburagi is basically just doing the Kamala Harris speedrun of being a normal, piece of poo poo cop in order to move up through the system until she's made it, then pivot and hope people just forget when you arrested single mothers on truancy charges because they couldn't afford to pay for their kid's school bus fee or whatever.

In terms of her relationship to Zenkichi, I think the idea is that Zenkichi entered the system as an idealist to the point where even after he was tacitly told to knock it off investigating Owada he persisted, until his daughter was directly threatened. That incident shattered his faith and resolve in the justice of the police, and he would have just burned out and quit had it not been for Kaburagi offering him a third option: to work inside the system until you become powerful enough to change it, even if it means dirtying your hands and playing the corrupt game. And this is very much Zenkichi's mindset at the start of the game, where he absolutely plans to use the thieves for his purposes and then sell them up the river. But as you said after being exposed to their idealism and everything that happens with them and Akane, he flips back to his old idealism. Where the game misses a trick I think is that there should have been a moment where Zenkichi confronts Kaburagi and tells her flat out that her method is wrong. She is essentially the devil on Zenkichi's shoulder to the Thieves' angel: compelling him to take the easier and safer route of giving into a corrupt system while convincing yourself it'll all pay off one day when you make it to the top.

Anyway tl;dr it's like we've talked about in this thread before: Persona really struggles to flatout say ACAB. P5 and P5S dance pretty close to the edge, but neither really have the courage to fully take the plunge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

quote:

I can't believe they just A.I all the P3P images without ANY post production treatment, the images look worse than playing the game straight out of a PSP to a 4K TV.

Closed the game when I saw the second image of the game, that is disgusting.

quote:

The P3P port audio in battle seems really compressed. I don’t recall it sounding so when I played it on PPSSPP.

quote:

Anyone else having trouble with controller on P3P Steam?

Edit: Like, just not working at all?

Hmm, maybe I should wait for a sale before trying out P3P...