Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Pollyanna posted:

cjs: hmmmmm no

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER

Pollyanna posted:

:yeah:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

is there high turnover at google polly? sounds like youre stressed to the core

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
all tech majors are way more like the holy roman empire than anything unitary. "yay emperor hans josef the whatevereth", says some obscure principality cuz lesser prince josef bugger the whatevereth does a good job in dealing with the bandits and signed a good deal with the neighboring bishopric and doesnt do as bad poo poo. "gently caress hans josef the whatevereth" says another obscure principality because the prince-elector rastimon the whatevereth is a little fuckin poo poo and raised taxes and declared war. hans josef doesnt have poo poo to do with anything and neither does the exact identity of what tech major you're in

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

bob dobbs is dead posted:

all tech majors are way more like the holy roman empire than anything unitary. "yay emperor hans josef the whatevereth", says some obscure principality cuz lesser prince josef bugger the whatevereth does a good job in dealing with the bandits and signed a good deal with the neighboring bishopric and doesnt do as bad poo poo. "gently caress hans josef the whatevereth" says another obscure principality because the prince-elector rastimon the whatevereth is a little fuckin poo poo and raised taxes and declared war. hans josef doesnt have poo poo to do with anything and neither does the exact identity of what tech major you're in

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

this is basically true of any org over a few thousand employees

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah, the essence of feudalism is that theres no monopoly on violence just an oligarchy, and the signature violence of corps is firing peeps and obviously theres no monopoly on that

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lol

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Vintersorg posted:

i was at the goog for three and a half years and by the time i left i was the most senior engineer on a team of 8

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

the thing is if im driving all the way there from home i may as well just go to work (and also drop my wife off at work since we commute together)

this way we're not taking 2 cars that day (40 mins each way, YAY)

when i used to commute it was 20~25 in and then an hour home on the 8~5 schedule.. then i got promoted, had my hours changed, and it was 15~20 in and home. then the plague and it was all made irrelevant for three years

now i'm probably going to be laid off at the end of the month given how many all-hands/dept these past four months have had and the layoffs that have resulted from those

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

lol

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Vintersorg posted:

no this is just me being me

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

quiggy posted:

i was at the goog for three and a half years and by the time i left i was the most senior engineer on a team of 8

but also, no comment

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

i’m also having hella existential crises so that’s cool too

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
take the quad

e: oops

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

bob, you've done it again

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

cjs: spent at least half an hour of our weekly team meeting watching my manager input things into dall-e. wow. it's the future, today

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
cjs: hella existential crises

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

cjs: called the same helpdesk number twice to be told "my phone number needs to be added to my workday profile" and it has gone up to the Sr IT Manager of this company because I've been without access for over a week. I know more about how to submit helpdesk tickets thanks to hearing the same droning messages for thirty minutes in between moments of hold music

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

take the quad

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

so last week or so I talked about uprezzing a picture I really liked of the chili peppers then sending that to Costco for a poster AFTER I used ai with better results

the poster came in (the one hastily done in photoshop using some math online) at my brothers place and surprisingly… it doesn’t seem TOO bad. I’ll see how it is in person but I think with this on the wall and surrounded by other photos and stuff it’ll be fine.

what do all of ya think?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
it's difficult to be certain from a pic but it looks like it's probably pretty good. it at least seems to avoid a lot of the blue/yellow/green/magenta casting i see on a truly unfortunate number of grayscale prints

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

cjs: why is every logging and analytics app so lovely

who started this trend of detailed info popping up in a side overly that is horrible to navigate in

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos

rotor posted:

cjs: hella existential crises

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

take the quad

this isnt how this works bob

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

rotor posted:

this isnt how this works bob
hardly effortless

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

cjs: wow, these problems sure do seem to be avoidable

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

there's a little tiny bit of jaggy aliasing under the arms there but nothing you'd see from more than a foot away, only a pixel-peeper would complain.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

do you stare at armpits often

mystes
May 31, 2006

The Goons who Stare at Armpits

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

cjs: database admin position opened up but im just a computer janitor, used to do web development in php but its been so long. i'd like to apply but i need big time training to get up there :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

cjs: how did i become everyone's "my git repo's hosed" troubleshooter

answer: because i can't say no to people, ever. just not in me

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

cls: dentist was today. six teeth need crowns

entirely my fault, too, for not flossing. even bought a waterpik several years ago. just sits on the sink counter gathering dust and sediment and i don't even understand why i continually refuse to take care of myself. same as exercising

all the work on my mouth over the years you'd think i'd have taken the goddamn hint and actually listened to the professionals, but turns out i'm basically a loving idiot

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

quote:

i'm basically a loving idiot
film at 11

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think one thing that improved my motivation to floss was realizing that it's not necessarily this vague process that eventually incrementally improves your dental health, like eating healthy wrt overall health, but rather thinking about it as there being gunk between my teeth that needs to be removed asap or it will pretty immediately turn into tartar which will make my gums inflamed for literally the entire time until I next go to the dentist and have my teeth cleaned.

I also loving hate going to the dentist and will do pretty much anything to make it even slightly less bad, even if my flossing technique actually sucks and even though I've been flossing 3x a day they'll think I only floss 1x and I'll be like "uh yeah I only floss 1x a day" rather than admit that and feel dumb every time.

Also definitely don't avoid going to the dentist just because you don't like going to the dentist, speaking from experience.

mystes fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 18, 2023

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

c health s: covid

highly don't recommend.

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
cls: went out on a date today and caught sight of this car in the wild. did they resurrect gplus or are they just keeping the sticker around for nostalgia ??

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

seems like a question you could have answered faster than it took u to post the question here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
sorry for posting wrong fart simpson, i'll do better next time