Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

He was the very model of a modern major general
His home is six feet under which befits a former Liberal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

bell jar posted:

He was the very model of a modern major general
His home is six feet under which befits a former Liberal

:eyepop:

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

"Co-architect of Operation Sovereign Borders" now refusing to comment on six-foot-under matters.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

All I really heard from Jim Molan was how keen he was to start a shooting war with China.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

lih posted:

a war criminal for one

The Lord Bude posted:

He was a liberal senator and a major general in the army.

oh that piece of poo poo, thats good hes dead

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Had terminal cancer but still ran in the election despite it being likely he wouldnt serve a full term.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Capt.Whorebags posted:

Targeting incentives at first home buyers isn't about subscribing to a John Howard 1950s view of newlyweds spending their first night together in a new home. It's a recognition that the first step on the property ladder is incredibly hard. Saving a deposit whilst paying rent and watching prices climb faster than your saving capacity, only to be slugged with a stamp duty, puts it years further out of reach. Once you have that first home, even with a crazy mortgage, you have equity building up and it is so much easier to then use that equity to buy a bigger home if/when you need it.

Although this assumes growing home values, which is no longer assured, at least for the time being.

On board with this, I find it disappointing that Labor is opposed to land tax. The available stock of (for eg) three bedroom handily located properties will go up if the retired couple rattling around inside instead sells up and downsizes to something more modest. Land tax promotes that cycling of properties to fit for purpose users and remove some of the motivation for just hanging onto the wrong property just because it is desirable to someone else.

Same for decent farmland, let go fallow instead of being kept in full productivity because the old man is not up to keeping a hundred acres productive and instead enjoys the best home veggie patch of his life.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Spookydonut posted:

Had terminal cancer but still ran in the election despite it being likely he wouldnt serve a full term.

He was parachuted into the senate twice after losing elections so guy probably didn't put much thought into things beyond "I'm entitled to the role for life" rather than caring about voters

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Capt.Whorebags posted:

Targeting incentives at first home buyers isn't about subscribing to a John Howard 1950s view of newlyweds spending their first night together in a new home. It's a recognition that the first step on the property ladder is incredibly hard. Saving a deposit whilst paying rent and watching prices climb faster than your saving capacity, only to be slugged with a stamp duty, puts it years further out of reach. Once you have that first home, even with a crazy mortgage, you have equity building up and it is so much easier to then use that equity to buy a bigger home if/when you need it.

Although this assumes growing home values, which is no longer assured, at least for the time being.

Oh I'm not against it being waived for first homebuyers, I just don't think that's the best thing we could do to address housing affordability and don't think we should stop there either.

There are a huge number of reasons someone might want or need to move: work opportunities, family crises, or even - just totally picking something at random here that definitely doesn't apply to me - because they just bought their first place and it turned out to be a lemon and they're unhappy with where they live. If people are owner-occupiers just using their home as a roof over their heads - and yeah I realise it's impossible to participate in the Australian housing market without being complicit in turning your home into an enormous chunk of your financial assets, but it's not like the owner-occupier has a choice in that - I don't think they should be stung as much as they are for the mere privilege of relocating. Especially when stamp duty hasn't been adjusted to account for housing inflation so the brackets are completely out of whack. A young couple in Sydney or Melbourne who have bust a gut to save a deposit and buy their first 2-bedroom apartment or 3-bedroom house at the very fringes of the city, for 600 or 700k, are not going to find 40k in stamp duty to be a trifling sum. (Whereas I imagine someone buying a property at the same value in the 1990s probably would have.)

If the state absolutely needs its revenue that badly then I'd take the NSW Libs' proposed land tax any day of the week, for the basic mathematical fact that it would take about 15 years for us to have ended up paying more than we would have in a stamp duty if we sold.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Agree there are serious supply-side issues in the housing market that need to be addressed. First home buyer incentives will only ever fiddle around the edges and any assistance in that area often ends up inflating prices - it certainly did with the first home owners grant 15 years ago.

We need a serious fall in house prices until mortgage repayments (and by extension rent) is back to some reasonable fraction of average earnings, but there is so much wealth tied up in the asset class that it's political suicide. So making it easier to buy/sell through the abolition of stamp duty is a small step but one that is reasonably palatable and should encourage people to "right size" their home and hopefully free up some appropriate stock. We really need to wind back the distorting incentives on investment - the capital gains discount, excessive negative gearing - but again we need a strong government with the will and political capital to do so.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Some poor fools are gonna have to take the fall and by God's divine mandate it will not be the baby boomers

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

One thing that is certain is the loud noise from the boomers who will insist that their properties should be grandfathered and only apply going forward, in a classic tradition of pulling the ladder up after themselves.

I get phasing in though - the CGT discount is currently 50% so just reduce it each year by 10% for all investment properties.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
still reckon we kick off the housing market solutions with some guillotines on castors. asking politely isn't working.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Hey Auspol here’s the draft of a pitch for a Cycle Network I plan to try and put before the NSW minister for Active Transport, if anyone’s interested or would care to cast their eye over it. Questions, comments, and suggestions welcome.

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1Mhcp0qHcY5VSTk4Q_JVtljYpvFKDk8asFVpogtZ5yAI/edit#slide=id.p

edit - or I'll go to GBS I guess

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jan 18, 2023

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Hey Auspol here’s the draft of a pitch for a Cycle Network I plan to try and put before the NSW minister for Active Transport, if anyone’s interested or would care to cast their eye over it. Questions, comments, and suggestions welcome.

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1Mhcp0qHcY5VSTk4Q_JVtljYpvFKDk8asFVpogtZ5yAI/edit#slide=id.p

edit - or I'll go to GBS I guess

As a consultant, you’ve got too many words on your page.

I want to see some slick graphics there mate too sorry this might be good enough for Deloitte but its not up to Bain or McKinsey standards

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Recoome posted:

As a consultant, you’ve got too many words on your page.

I want to see some slick graphics there mate too sorry this might be good enough for Deloitte but its not up to Bain or McKinsey standards

I literally did most of the graphics with the "measure" tool in google maps. I don't know how else to do it. So if I could have a pen tool on the map, and 2 months with a streetview camera, we'd have the whole thing mapped out in no time.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Yeah if I can give you any advice at all it's that if you want to pitch something to anyone remotely senior, who spends 8-12 hours a day jumping between meetings, they aren't going to read words on a page. If you're very lucky, they might kick it to a staffer who will glance at it - but as staffers are typically politicians-in-waiting these days, you'll likely hear crickets in response.

When I first started working with EY types on projects almost a decade ago, I was really confused as to why everything they produced took the form of a 5-10 slide powerpoint deck, even if it seemed like the wrong medium entirely. The reason was that the stakeholders who need convincing in order to fund or approve things won't read anything on their own time, and the only way to gain a captive audience is to trap them in a room and shove slides in their face. And as slides filled with text are horrible to look at, those slides should have bullet points and graphics that you can then talk around.

If you're an expert in something, or even just very interested, it can be really hard to distil pages of what you consider to be crucial information down to a handful of bullet points and a few infographics - but unless you're submitting a research paper to a group of academic peers, you're better off filing that document away as reference info, and shopping around the short and sweet version.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

The impression I get from Stokes (NSW minister for active transport), is that he might be genuinely interested. I saw him announcing the opening of a cycle way somewhere and he know's what's up. And he was literally asking councils to come to the government with proposals. The problem is, they don't really seem to be looking at how they connect, so we'll end up with a random mish-mash of localised bike paths that don't amount to a viable network.

So yes some of the slides are dense but the point is to communicate as much information as efficiently as possible. I guess if I was presenting it (really only want 10-15 minutes of their time), I might use a trimmed version, and if I was just sending it it might be closer to this

Bicycle NSW are pretty well placed to do this stuff, but they didn't get back to me yet.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

The impression I get from Stokes (NSW minister for active transport), is that he might be genuinely interested. I saw him announcing the opening of a cycle way somewhere and he know's what's up. And he was literally asking councils to come to the government with proposals. The problem is, they don't really seem to be looking at how they connect, so we'll end up with a random mish-mash of localised bike paths that don't amount to a viable network.

So yes some of the slides are dense but the point is to communicate as much information as efficiently as possible. I guess if I was presenting it (really only want 10-15 minutes of their time), I might use a trimmed version, and if I was just sending it it might be closer to this

Bicycle NSW are pretty well placed to do this stuff, but they didn't get back to me yet.

I don’t know why you even asked for feedback tbh based on this response.

Leave the detail for the appendix. Give ‘em the slick graphics. The slide deck as is gives me “do you see???” vibes.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
If you want a cycleway bike helmets better be compulsory when riding on it.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

This sort of thing leads me to wonder; how does anything ever get done or planned out in Sydney on a larger scale when the city is a patchwork of little tiny local councils? As someone who lives in Brisbane it seems like such a strange way of doing things.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Capt.Whorebags posted:

We need a serious fall in house prices until mortgage repayments (and by extension rent) is back to some reasonable fraction of average earnings, but there is so much wealth tied up in the asset class that it's political suicide.

Even before becoming a homeowner and thus having skin in the game, I would have said we need like a 10-year plateau in prices to allow wages to catch up rather than having values drop, on account of the risk of collapsing the economy. But a) lol wages are not going to do that, and b) we have a perfectly good Reserve Bank trying to crash the economy for us anyway.

Capt.Whorebags posted:

boomers who will insist that their properties should be grandfathered and only apply going forward

100% confident this will happen. Like, not just the insistence but the implementation of the grandfathering

(Actually who knows - maybe there'll be one of those sudden pivotal moments when all of a sudden the millenials outnumber them and mainstream political policies swiftly change over just a few election cycles)

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

This sort of thing leads me to wonder; how does anything ever get done or planned out in Sydney on a larger scale when the city is a patchwork of little tiny local councils? As someone who lives in Brisbane it seems like such a strange way of doing things.

I assume it has to come under the state government. But even that is a series of local members for seats that aren't much bigger than a council. So yeah, that's really a key part of the problem, there doesn't seem to be anyone I can find who's job it is to look at this stuff at the basin level, so large scale planning stuff doesn't seem to get done.

How does it work in Brisbane?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

The state government effectively acts as the capital city government. It's more focused in NSW and VIC than it would be in Queensland - like, wider Melbourne is 77% of Victoria's population, so of course the government is happy to spend all their time governing the city (and ignoring the wider state). I imagine it'd be messier in Queensland if it still worked like that because the population is more spread out.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

some stuff the council or the state government are able to do on their own and so they do it, but a whole lot of stuff they have conflicting powers over which causes endless conflict and shifting responsibility - most prominently anything to do with public transport infrastructure. really bcc probably just needs a few of its powers taken away from it, and the state government should set up a body to coordinate public transport and not let the council have much to do with it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Brisbane City Council (and LGAs in general in queensland) is fuckoff huge and covers much of the city, and even for things larger than that they only have to coordinate with a few neighboring also-fuckoff-huge councils.

Brisbane Council covers 1338 km². Melbourne City Council is 37.7 km².

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Having so many little fiefdoms in the same metro area feels like it would be a clusterfuck as you'd probably have insane levels of duplication of systems which don't necessarily talk to each other

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Recoome posted:

Having so many little fiefdoms in the same metro area feels like it would be a clusterfuck as you'd probably have insane levels of duplication of systems which don't necessarily talk to each other

Surely I've ranted about this before, but abolish state governments all together. If we didn't have them we wouldn't invent them. We do not need 8 departments of health and education and all that stuff is better administered federally anyway. And yes make councils bigger.

I remember someone getting complaining to me when Clover Moore was both the mayor of Sydney and the representative for Sydney in the state parliament. I thought hold on, why isn't EVERY mayor the member for their area in the state parliament. Or better still, the federal government, cos the state government shouldn't exist. What are they doing if not fighting for their electorate.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

QLD done a big effort to rationalize the councils 20 years or so ago. There was resistance to it as you would expect but they did achieve a lot and the benefits are less fiefdoms, more systematic approach to problem solving and less putting cross walks and zoning to suit individual councilors.

slorb
May 14, 2002

Surely I've ranted about this before, but abolish state governments all together. If we didn't have them we wouldn't invent them. We do not need 8 departments of health and education and all that stuff is better administered federally anyway. And yes make councils bigger.

Covid just showed that the federal health department is totally incompetent and can't even respond to important emails on time and nobody outside NSW is going to let people from NSW run their police.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

No one mention NSW's Gold Standard approach to Covid!!!!!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Recoome posted:

The little feifdoms in Melbourne end up dealing with much more low-grade local responsibilities and are like "let's do things to promote the local shopping strip!" and "rearrange the parking around the train station!" and "people don't like their neighbour's front yard!" and deal with things on a much more individual personal level.

But still, you're not wrong.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jan 18, 2023

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

In a world where we're ignoring all the problems: shunt things like health etc up to Federal, reduce the states to high-level planning bodies, rearrange for areas of similar concern. Melbourne Government, Sydney Government, Southeast Coast Government, Murray-Darling Basin Government, GoldBrisbane government, Eyre Basin, etc

This is an awful idea.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jan 18, 2023

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

I assume it has to come under the state government. But even that is a series of local members for seats that aren't much bigger than a council. So yeah, that's really a key part of the problem, there doesn't seem to be anyone I can find who's job it is to look at this stuff at the basin level, so large scale planning stuff doesn't seem to get done.

Brisbane is one LGA for the entire city of like 2.5 million people, so it has a huge budget and the capability to plan stuff at a whole city level. It’s also like the only LGA in the country where elections are explicitly partisan and contested between labor/lnp/greens.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jan 18, 2023

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

i''d get rid of councils, state govts are fine.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

gently caress it just divvy Australia up into the water basins.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

MikeJF posted:

People would get into technicalities about whether or not Kangaroo Island and Groote Eylandt should be lumped in with mainland basins

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Vladimir Poutine posted:

People would get into technicalities about whether or not Kangaroo Island and Groote Eylandt should be lumped in with mainland basins

Kangaroo Island is historically SAG territory, and we will allow no further further interference from MDB and their backed "separatists" :argh:

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Water basins are the only borders that actually make any sense.

And that's where the plan is coming at it from, looking at the Basin level. Because I don't think there's anyone who's job it is to do that at the moment. It's this massive metropolis but it's made up of a bunch of difference cities and seats and councils and I'm yet to see meaningful or constructive planning between them. On anything really, let alone infrastructure with a cost:benefit like this

So anyway how about that Cycle plan, pretty good ay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

but without local councils, how would parking tickets be administered?