Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

This isn't my rarest cheevo but it's the one I'm most proud of.

exquisite tea posted:

All of my rarest achievements still come from that surprisingly really good survival mode DLC they patched into Rise of the Tomb Raider.

That gamemode was very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

mystes
May 31, 2006

this looks cool but why are they all separate games rather than dlc or something? having a zillion in your library just seems annoying

I'm definitely going to buy the bunny one that comes out in a week though

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

how does one commission bees

asking for a friend

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

How's Hydroneer these days? Way back when I remember it was kind of uneven, but that was years ago I think.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Jack Trades posted:

[Rise of Tomb raider chat]
That gamemode was very good.

I own that game but never finished it, had a terminal case of cbf about 3/4ths the way through. What's this survival mode and why is it so good?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Serephina posted:

I own that game but never finished it, had a terminal case of cbf about 3/4ths the way through. What's this survival mode and why is it so good?

You know the stealth/combat challenge rooms in the Arkham games? It was that, but you could apply modifiers to it in or against your favor, from as much as "start with potent weapons" to "it's arctic cold, you begin taking damage if you're not moving or keeping near a head source" and it was a real fun sandbox that pushed the limits of a fun system.

I think you could also play the main game with these turned on and it applied different ones to each arena? Maybe that was a difficulty setting and not this mode.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Black Griffon posted:

How's Hydroneer these days? Way back when I remember it was kind of uneven, but that was years ago I think.

It's alright! I haven't played the recent farming update, but especially recently the mining experience was improved a lot with a couple different tiers of equipment and some extra hoops to plan around. If you've done a lot of the mining and piping I don't know that it'd be massively different though.

It's still a little aimless and kind of feels like a tech demo at times, but I had a good time in the 20-ish hours I played. Reaction to the farming stuff seems mixed & it definitely looks mechanically like early stages.

Overall Hydroneer was an interesting little detour from my continuing obsession with building stupid impractical factories in Satisfactory.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Nancy posted:

It's alright! I haven't played the recent farming update, but especially recently the mining experience was improved a lot with a couple different tiers of equipment and some extra hoops to plan around. If you've done a lot of the mining and piping I don't know that it'd be massively different though.

It's still a little aimless and kind of feels like a tech demo at times, but I had a good time in the 20-ish hours I played. Reaction to the farming stuff seems mixed & it definitely looks mechanically like early stages.

Overall Hydroneer was an interesting little detour from my continuing obsession with building stupid impractical factories in Satisfactory.

Oh I haven't played it at all, I just remember the general reception. Might wait for another discount if nothing else, I'm rewatching Let's Game it Out's video and even back then it looked pretty neat.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Serephina posted:

It's called Endurance Mode and it's a roguelike where you play as Lara on an infinite procedural Siberian wilderness tileset. You have to consistently manage warmth and hunger while trying to hunt for relics and survive as long as possible while not getting impaled on spikes or eaten by bears. Despite not being especially deep there's a lot of variety because of all the random unlockable cards that create different modifiers with both positive and negative effects. It's actually quite challenging to survive for more than even a few days. I found it to be really addictive and they even patched in a co-op version, if you can find someone else to play it with. It's not like absolutely worldshattering or anything, just way better than it has any right to be.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

CarlCX posted:

Angry at this thread for irresponsibly neglecting to recommend the best Metal Gear games, Syphon Filter and WinBack.

Syphon Filter 2 and N64 Winback. I love the Syphon Filter series and wish it was still around.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Serephina posted:

It's been a while so I'm probably not going to describe it perfectly but it is a procedurally generated endless snowy forest where the goal is to survive as long as possible with as much treasure as possible and get out when you think you can't make it any further without dying. You score points at the end but I never paid much attention to that part. Along the way you fight enemies from the main game ranging from wild animals to enchanted armor, you gather resources to make health/ammo, and warm up where you can because its cold and Lara apparently didn't pack the right jacket and pants. You can add on modifiers to make it easier/harder which affects the final score.

It's not the most original mode these days but it did finally deliver on the more survival-ish themes the marketing for the first game tried to hype up and the beginning of the second game toyed with for an hour or two. Despite being procedurally generated the forest (plus caves and abandoned villages) when combined with the weather effects is actually really pretty and moody - it may be a foggy, dark, mostly flat, and empty expanse of trees (which certainly helps with the generation) but it turns out a foggy, dark, mostly flat, and empty expanse of trees is pretty loving spooky when you make it look right and throw in wolves, bears, dudes with guns, and ghost armor.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Command and Conquer Remastered is really cheap just now. I got it and clearly my gaming skills have devolved since I played this as a kid, the Nod missions are kicking my arse.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Disposable Scud posted:

Syphon Filter 2 and N64 Winback. I love the Syphon Filter series and wish it was still around.
Is that the game with the taser that sets people on fire?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

anilEhilated posted:

Is that the game with the taser that sets people on fire?

you can do that in the nintendo ds GTA game

Weedle
May 31, 2006

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

you can do that in the nintendo ds GTA game

that game loving kicked rear end. they should have kept making more top-down ones

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Chas McGill posted:

Command and Conquer Remastered is really cheap just now. I got it and clearly my gaming skills have devolved since I played this as a kid, the Nod missions are kicking my arse.

C&C: Remaster is so incredibly well done. They did such a good job with that. I hope EA can get its head out of its rear end to approve the same treatment for TS and RA2.

I think even with the remaster I wasn't masochistic enough to attempt the Covert Ops missions lol

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Tiny Timbs posted:

C&C: Remaster is so incredibly well done. They did such a good job with that. I hope EA can get its head out of its rear end to approve the same treatment for TS and RA2.

and Renegade

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Odd Wilson posted:

how does one commission bees

asking for a friend

One at a time

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Play posted:

Yeah it kinda sucks. It's really a keyboard and mouse game, expects pretty tight aiming too which is a lot harder on gamepad, which is why I ended up returning it after playing a few levels.

You could have just used the mouse

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Jarvisi posted:

You could have just used the mouse

I play everything in gamepad and yeah that one just needs m&k. Actually a fun game once you get the double jump on the .. second? mission

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I basically can’t play at a desk anymore, at least for now, so m+kb is out of the question.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i think i handled necromunda fine on a gamepad, but it left very little impression overall

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

sebmojo posted:

I play everything in gamepad and yeah that one just needs m&k. Actually a fun game once you get the double jump on the .. second? mission

Yeah I play games on my couch or a chair, so the mouse either sits on my lap or to my side, and vice versa with the keyboard, it's pretty uncomfortable and hard to use. But beyond that I just don't like using m+kb to play games, it inhibits my enjoyment and I've got tons of gamepad ready games I haven't played anyways.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Tiny Timbs posted:

I think even with the remaster I wasn't masochistic enough to attempt the Covert Ops missions lol

90s RTSes were a different breed, whole lot of pain staking micro.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

remember how you could only select like 12 guys at once in the original c&c

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Weedle posted:

remember how you could only select like 12 guys at once in the original c&c

That was Starcraft, I don't think C&C has ever had a selection limit.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I call it StarCRAP btw.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Scalding Coffee posted:

You can say the same for Earth Defense Force. In some of the games, you have to beat all missions to unlock the higher difficulties and its super weapons that nuke the battlefield and kill the team within seconds. EDF6 is 150 missions and you are spending about 30+ hours going through the game.

That loving rules though. Edf has two rules, more enemies and more explosions.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

i think i handled necromunda fine on a gamepad, but it left very little impression overall

I often forget I played it, which is a bit damning for something by the EYE devs

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Bad Seafood posted:

Still stuck in La-Mulana 2.

This is the closest I've come to wanting to use a guide. I keep opening google and then closing it. I'm still enjoying it, and impressed I've gotten this far on my own, but I've just been circling the drain on this one specific puzzle for like ten hours now, half-solving other puzzles around it I can't actually complete until I punch through this one.
tbh i would have looked it up weeks ago because being stuck for that long would have guaranteed i'd never finish the game

not worth sucking all the fun out in the name of purity or whatever

(e) i definitely get it tho

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jan 18, 2023

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Deakul posted:

90s RTSes were a different breed, whole lot of pain staking micro.

Yeah, that and they really loved missions where you don’t get a base.

Ended up spending most of my time in skirmish mode in the remaster. Don’t really enjoy rts without some macro elements

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I can't wait to get this achievement!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Fruits of the sea posted:

Yeah, that and they really loved missions where you don’t get a base.

Ended up spending most of my time in skirmish mode in the remaster. Don’t really enjoy rts without some macro elements

You'll be delighted to know that that same mistake is still being made in the modern day. The most recent DK2 clones (War for the Overworld & Dungeons 3) both have a no-base mission where you guide around a large blob of dudes and hero units. Dungeon Keeper clones, with no dungeons. Sigh.

I think even halfway decent RTS's don't do that poo poo anymore, such as Deserts of Kharak or Grey Goo.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

StrixNebulosa posted:

I can't wait to get this achievement!

Man, I really gotta catch up on those Lego Superhero games!

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Serephina posted:

You'll be delighted to know that that same mistake is still being made in the modern day. The most recent DK2 clones (War for the Overworld & Dungeons 3) both have a no-base mission where you guide around a large blob of dudes and hero units. Dungeon Keeper clones, with no dungeons. Sigh.

I think even halfway decent RTS's don't do that poo poo anymore, such as Deserts of Kharak or Grey Goo.

Dungeons has dungeon building in all of its levels, the issue with Dungeons 3 is that there's literally only one trap needed and theres zero variance in the "dungeon invasion" gameplay. They come in through designated points. DK2 those fuckers would just chisel through the wall and gently caress your heart

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

If you can get used to a trackball then it makes playing mouse-based games easier away from a desk. I like the logitech thumb trackball a lot.

Unfortunately, a bigger problem for me playing most mouse-based games on a TV is that these kinds of games often have lots of small text that isn't easily enlarged without breaking the UI and I can't read anything (I need new glasses).

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

FuzzySlippers posted:

If you can get used to a trackball then it makes playing mouse-based games easier away from a desk. I like the logitech thumb trackball a lot.

Unfortunately, a bigger problem for me playing most mouse-based games on a TV is that these kinds of games often have lots of small text that isn't easily enlarged without breaking the UI and I can't read anything (I need new glasses).

Nobody trust this guy and dont tell him where earth is

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Dungeons has dungeon building in all of its levels, the issue with Dungeons 3 is that there's literally only one trap needed and theres zero variance in the "dungeon invasion" gameplay. They come in through designated points. DK2 those fuckers would just chisel through the wall and gently caress your heart

According to steam cheevos, I completed "Ups and downs" and never finished “The Titan of Alphaas”. The mission that made me throw the whole game in the dustbin certainly *started* with no dungeon for the first few minutes, regardless of if you got deigned to be given one later on. The overworld combat was nowhere near good enough to play a Blizzard-style hero-unit version of it. But as you said, D3 also had a huge other pile of issues that removed all of the teeth of DK's gameplay. I much, much preferred WftO's missions as they had fun bite, even if it was a rougher product in other areas.

Neither of them are good heirs to DK2, which is all that really matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Weedle posted:

that game loving kicked rear end. they should have kept making more top-down ones

Agreed, it was everything I'd always wanted from a GTA game, except being on a tiny screen with crappy graphics.