Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Doesn't Jaden Smith's character go full communism now by the end of Neo Yokio. Mark me down as also someone who was bewildered by it until I loved it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I feel like Neo Yokio suffers from the thing where American audiences are unfamiliar with the concept of "slice-of-life" and get bewildered and angry when confronted with a piece of media that doesn't really have a plot.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Neo yokio is a great show and I think it's pretty obvious what its deal is basically immediately. Honestly kind of flabbergasted that someone would watch it and not pick up on its deal within 1 episode, but I guess maybe the context is different if you just put it on randomly with no expectations?

Also like Americans have been watching king of the hill and the Simpsons for ages so I don't think a lack of understanding of the idea that there's no overarching plot is the issue. Most shows work like this.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Neo Yokio operates on a similar level of ironic detachment as Clone High, imo

I do not know if that's what Jaden Smith intended going into the project, but it is definitely what Ezra Koenig intended actually writing it

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Has the show actually claimed to be a satire or is this all interpretation at this point?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Flopsy posted:

Has the show actually claimed to be a satire or is this all interpretation at this point?

I do believe that several secondary cast members go out of their way to point out the actual intended themes of the show and that the main character is a vapid shallow rear end in a top hat who no one should be agreeing with or emulating. At least one of the videos posted in this very thread contains a secondary cast member doing just that.

It's really not subtle about what it's doing. Idk maybe Xavier renegade angel is supposed to be a serious drama about how genius an idea using aids to combat a computer virus is.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Electric Phantasm posted:

Not gonna lie I was won over by this other clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMBLntBrOPc

The punchline is legit funny to me.

This is absolutely hilarious

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Neo Yokio is shockingly good, it really feels like a send up of so many different varieties of those shounen goofball hijinks animes in the late 90s and early 00s.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Flopsy posted:

It's impossible to interpret the show as anything else by the end of it. I have no difficulty understanding why someone might not like the show, but I have a great deal of difficulty understanding how anyone could watch ten minutes of it and think its admiration of extreme wealth is sincere, let alone watch the whole thing and still think that. By the time an automated CEO of a massive department store fires a guy on Christmas, who tearfully acknowledges that his need to live shouldn't come before the company's profits, if you still think what's happening is straightforwardly sincere and the show genuinely considers the firing of this dude a good thing then I dunno what to tell you.

To quote the main character as he drives through Long Island Walled City, a massive slum the rich never enter except for when they need to extend the track for their ostentatious F1 race (endangering the lives of everyone who lives there): "I'm starting to think Neo Yokio's not the greatest city in the world."

Edit: also, I mean, there's the fact that the overarching plot is about a terrorist trying to bring down Neo Yokio, and the protagonists trying to smuggle her to safety.

sethsez fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jan 18, 2023

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Flopsy posted:

I am by no means literate in the tropes and norms of anime, but after about 15 seconds of an earlier clip posted here I knew I was watching a deliberate farce. I mean, how can you see a huge toblerone offered as a gift, and then withdrawn as a gift and not realize a joke is being told?

Hell, how can you look at this still frame

Electric Phantasm posted:

Not gonna lie I was won over by this other clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMBLntBrOPc

The punchline is legit funny to me.

And not realize that this isn't meant to be taken seriously?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

I feel like Neo Yokio suffers from the thing where American audiences are unfamiliar with the concept of "slice-of-life" and get bewildered and angry when confronted with a piece of media that doesn't really have a plot.

SoLs are basically a type of Sitcom

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Flopsy posted:

Takes skill to be so loving hateful you manage to piss everybody and everything off. I just watched a video review for Velma btw and Jesus loving Christ. Velma is in fact racist as poo poo and every other line is chunkily explaining things to the audience like we're braindead meat with eyes who can't grasp these higher truths she's spinning for us. Also i don't know if this has been discussed but there's something about the art style that makes all the characters look kinda of sharp and unhinged. Like they're one step away from violence which I guess most of them are?

true but everyonce and while, its nice that something that comes out thats either universally hated/disliked by almost everyone across spectrums.

ninjewtsu posted:

Neo yokio is a great show and I think it's pretty obvious what its deal is basically immediately. Honestly kind of flabbergasted that someone would watch it and not pick up on its deal within 1 episode, but I guess maybe the context is different if you just put it on randomly with no expectations?

Also like Americans have been watching king of the hill and the Simpsons for ages so I don't think a lack of understanding of the idea that there's no overarching plot is the issue. Most shows work like this.

yeah. watching the clips posted on here showed its very clearly supposed to be a weird surreal comedy show that adult swim would pick up but netflix botched it like always.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

YggiDee posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtnQ5cIHGHE

The Lackadaisy short should be coming out in March, I'm excited for it

I had no idea this way happening. Neato.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
There definitely is a difference between the two but it's not the sort of thing that has a hard definition, though most Western animated shows that I'd consider Slice of Life are ones made for family and kid audiences(most of which were made in the 90's and early Aughts piggybacking off the formula Doug established) rather than Adult ones, indeed King of The Hill is the only Adult Animated Sitcom that I can think of that I'd also consider to be a proper Slice of Life series, ultimately I think it's a matter of pacing, most Adult Animated Sitcoms just go too fast paced to really fit as Slice of Life

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ninjewtsu posted:

I think the only reason someone might have taken it straight was because of Jaden Smith's involvement. At the time he was (well, still is, I guess) in the process of being really weird on Twitter.

case in point,

https://twitter.com/jaden/status/1613041785571520513

(In case you're going to check I'll save you the trouble, there is no context for that.) So I think people saw him doing Neo Yokio and thought rather than a parody, they were watching the fever dream of a billionaire's kid that somehow got a Netflix deal.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think there were a lot of bad takes at the time tbh, and a lot of angry people. I've definitely had arguments on here about Neo Yokio. It's one of those shows -- like Heathers and Chad -- that just send parts of the internet into a meltdown. They're not even necessarily the same parts of the Internet.

Satire and farce really tend to provoke outsized reactions in audiences, which I get, but that reaction can often end up drowning out what the show is actually doing.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ1oZ58Y_FA

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

TwoPair posted:

I think the only reason someone might have taken it straight was because of Jaden Smith's involvement. At the time he was (well, still is, I guess) in the process of being really weird on Twitter.

case in point,

(In case you're going to check I'll save you the trouble, there is no context for that.) So I think people saw him doing Neo Yokio and thought rather than a parody, they were watching the fever dream of a billionaire's kid that somehow got a Netflix deal.

This was my initial impression as well but I'm willing to accept that as bad advertising. Bear in mind I have aspergers syndrome and if something is a little too tongue in cheek I'm just left baffled about what the intent is. Straight up I'm sure the Toblerone scene was obvious but I really couldn't tell if it was just sincere and bizarre or actually meant to be funny. I've seen some weird anime poo poo and sometimes I don't know what I'm supposed to take away from it.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jan 18, 2023

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I don't want to start a fight or anything, but I think a lot of people have yet to unlearn orientalism enough to just take anime on faith as being what it seems like. Generally speaking, if you're laughing at something in an anime, the target audience over in Japan is too, and for the same reasons.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

DoctorWhat posted:

I don't want to start a fight or anything, but I think a lot of people have yet to unlearn orientalism enough to just take anime on faith as being what it seems like. Generally speaking, if you're laughing at something in an anime, the target audience over in Japan is too, and for the same reasons.

I was actually banking it on it being a terrible western take on anime that was going for some surreal reference that was going completely over my head. Sometimes a giant Toblerone is just a giant Toblerone though.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Oh I'm not talking about Neo Yokio in specific, I mean more like "does Hideo Kojima not understand that his own games are funny" and stuff like that.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Flopsy posted:

This was my initial impression as well but I'm willing to accept that as bad advertising. Bear in mind I have aspergers syndrome and if something is a little too tongue in cheek I'm just left baffled about what the intent is. Straight up I'm sure the Toblerone scene was obvious but I really couldn't tell if it was just sincere and bizarre or actually meant to be funny. I've seen some weird anime poo poo and sometimes I don't know what I'm supposed to take away from it.

If you're only aware of the advertising then I could see it. But the plot of Neo Yokio is a fairly typical "comfortable person has the sudden revelation that their world actually sucks and violently fights back" Young Adult Dystopia arc, with the fairly mild twist being that we're following that person's friend rather than following the revolutionary directly.

Neo Yokio being a gaudy half-sunk kaleidoscope of Breguet and Dior and Louboutin is telegraphed in the show itself as a dystopia pretty heavily from the beginning.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

TwoPair posted:

case in point,

I kinda wrote it off as a nepotism show and never watched it yeah.

DoctorWhat posted:

Oh I'm not talking about Neo Yokio in specific, I mean more like "does Hideo Kojima not understand that his own games are funny" and stuff like that.

See also all the people convinced Stranger of Paradise isn't meant to be a farce.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I know we're got a few industry people in this thread, plus other people who have an ear to the ground, so I figured I'd ask here: what's the last anyone's heard about Fired On Mars, Birdgirl or Scavenger's Reign?

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
One of my favorite aspects of Neo Yokio is how the "antagonist" - who is the Most Eligible Bachelor of Neo Yokio - is blatantly flirting with the protagonist all the time, but he is too dumb to realize it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mp841DIrtAQ

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Rand Brittain posted:

Isn’t Seinfeld famously a “show about nothing”?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Boris Galerkin posted:

Isn’t Seinfeld famously a “show about nothing”?

I thought this was a critics' phrase that somehow stuck, but then I finally watched it and no, the show itself says this, diegetically, over and over and over

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Data Graham posted:

I thought this was a critics' phrase that somehow stuck, but then I finally watched it and no, the show itself says this, diegetically, over and over and over

It's even a plot point in later season when Jerry is trying to pitch a comedy show.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

pentyne posted:

It's even a plot point in later season when Jerry is trying to pitch a comedy show.

Jerry and George try to pitch Seinfeld to NBC, essentially.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
It's a show about nothing in that it's about the daily minutiae and weird poo poo where a comedian gets the material for their routines.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Neo Yokio is good, but really have to be in the right mood for it. Also not very bingeable, imo, which I guess is important to streaming services.

Cemetry Gator posted:

The reason why these shows look bad is that a lot of these shows are incredibly lazy. To paraphrase Tolstoy: Terrible animation are all alike, good animation is good in its own way.

You just watch these things, and you think "who thought that this was a good idea?" I'm trying to watch the first episode of Fairview now to understand where it went wrong, and it's mind boggling. You would assume that networks have checks and balances in place to make sure something this embarrassing doesn't get out onto the air. The writing is terrible. The animation work is terrible. The voice acting is terrible. You assume Stephen Colbert has someone who's telling him what to put his name on and what not to, AND HE'S PUTTING HIS NAME ON THIS! I can barely get 2 minutes into the show before I have to turn it off. That's how amateurishly bad the whole thing is. Neil Breen films are more interesting than this garbage.

It's so frustrating to see how lazy these shows are. Here's 10 steps to making your own bad adult animated show.

1. These characters are terrible people. How they are terrible may differ, but the end result is the same - they are off-putting and unlikable and unpleasant to be around.
2. The character traits are all incredibly vapid and simple. This guy's a moron. This guy doesn't care about anyone. This guy is a moron who doesn't care about anyone.
3. The voice actors either SHOUT ALL THEIR LINES or they just talk with a strange voice. Or both!
4. Random violence is the joke. No setup. No reason. Just someone getting hurt randomly.
5. Also bodily functions. Fart, piss, poo poo! Do it! It's all good!
6. I say something. Then the opposite happens, or I do the opposite.
7. When you have a joke where you're characters to say something, make sure to do a cutaway to show that exact joke all over again. Tell a joke twice instead of telling it once.
8. Don't worry if your plot doesn't make sense. Plots don't have to make sense. They just serve as a tool to deliver jokes.
9. Make sure your show moves at a breakneck speed. Have multiple plots, none of which are any interesting or have any real development or have any real stakes. Just lots of plots. And make sure conversations move really fast too. In fact, don't worry about the flow of anything. Flow means slowing down. And if you slow down, they will change the channel.
10. Swear. Just swear as much as possible. Swearing is funny. It's funny when people say "gently caress."

Seriously. So many of these shows have all of these traits. It's the kind of thing where you have to wonder if they watch any animated shows before they begin because they all do the same thing, and they all suffer the same fate.

This really sums up the tsunami of lovely adult animation we've had in the last several years. I don't know whether to blame MacFarlane for popularizing it or Rick and Morty for concentrating and reinvigorating it.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

I also feel like the romanticization of anti-social douche bags has made the IRL ones feel justified in being louder and more belligerent about their own shittiness. Or maybe that's just the advent of social media bleeding into everyday life while being buttressed by the media. It's probably a combination of factors I'm too tired to look up right now.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

The Moon Monster posted:

Neo Yokio is good, but really have to be in the right mood for it. Also not very bingeable, imo, which I guess is important to streaming services.

This really sums up the tsunami of lovely adult animation we've had in the last several years. I don't know whether to blame MacFarlane for popularizing it or Rick and Morty for concentrating and reinvigorating it.

id blame family guy because rick and morty at least tried to evolve at times and tried to sorta walk back on some of its poo poo until well recently. family guy is basicaly just mean spirited sketches that have like 10 of the same jokes. it can be funny at times but its mostly just ehh.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Animation is art, and art is an expression of culture. Blaming Seth MacFarlane or Justin Roiland or Dan Harmon for the success of their pop art entertainment product is dumb, because if it didn't reflect the values and ideas in a culture it will rapidly be selected against.

We get the popular entertainment we deserve as a whole people, not by the "great works" of some random kinda funny mentally ill dude.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

I Am Fowl posted:

It's a show about nothing in that it's about the daily minutiae and weird poo poo where a comedian gets the material for their routines.

I like how many things on the show were just real things that happened to everyone, mostly Larry David.

One of my favorite things about the show is that Jason Alexander early in the show, exasperated I guess at how ridiculous his scenarios were, went up to Larry David and was like "This would never happen and if it did, no one would react like that" and Larry goes "What do you mean? This is exactly what happened and this is exactly what I did".

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Macaluso posted:

I like how many things on the show were just real things that happened to everyone, mostly Larry David.

One of my favorite things about the show is that Jason Alexander early in the show, exasperated I guess at how ridiculous his scenarios were, went up to Larry David and was like "This would never happen and if it did, no one would react like that" and Larry goes "What do you mean? This is exactly what happened and this is exactly what I did".

Curb Your Enthusiasm was genuinely glorious if only for the fact it did the unlikable protagonist trope right. Larry's biggest issue in the show was he literally couldn't let petty poo poo go and honestly that's how a lot of real problems start.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I finally watched Inside Job

Real bummer it got shitcanned, right after it seemed to have found its footing

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

mycomancy posted:

Animation is art, and art is an expression of culture. Blaming Seth MacFarlane or Justin Roiland or Dan Harmon for the success of their pop art entertainment product is dumb, because if it didn't reflect the values and ideas in a culture it will rapidly be selected against.

We get the popular entertainment we deserve as a whole people, not by the "great works" of some random kinda funny mentally ill dude.

And yet you participate in society, curious.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Honestly early Family Guy(the pre-cancellation seasons and maybe the first season or two after it got revived) had plenty of heart to it, very much "Hanna-Barbera animated sitcom but with much less restrictions on content" to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I took your good lucks and got the Helluva Boss gig. :yaycat: