Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
I was scared that I wouldn't be able to love our second as much as I loved our oldest. Especially because I was on the fence about having another. Now I cannot stand having them separated because it feels so lonely. Your heart just grows. I don't know how else to put it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
As one of four (plus two step brothers I rarely saw), I am comfortable with one. My wife, a single child, would like two. I think we'd ideally have two if we had started earlier, had been able to space them out a little bit, and if money was no object.

If anything, having an infant has made me dig in more on just having one. I love being a dad and I'd like to figure out ways for my wife and I to work less so we can be more present in our daughter's life, which probably means making less money at the end of the day. I think if we had two, I'd simultaneously feel the pressure to free up time for them AND the pressure to earn more money.

Another Bill posted:

All of which leads me to think that whatever number of kids you have is the right number for you. :)

This is true from 0 to some upper threshold, maybe 5? After that it gets a bit weird.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

im very glad my wife and i are in agreement on stopping at two

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

you're free to have so many kids you need to buy an airport shuttle but I will definitely judge you if you have so many kids you bought an airport shuttle

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I am absolutely sure that if another kid happened I would love them to bits and absolutely sure that i am totally fine just having one.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I thought three was the perfect number before COVID ruined my support network.

PerniciousKnid has issued a correction as of 15:13 on Jan 18, 2023

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

just did the 2022 total daycare expenditure for taxes. 15.5k dollars for one kid, which is both a shitload of money and also not as bad as some other areas.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

lobster shirt posted:

for sleep training we did the modified faber method thing where, instead of jsut letting them cry it out, you put the kid down drowsy but awake and then wake increasingly long intervals before you go in and comfort them. like i think the first night it was one, then two, then three up to five minutes, and the next night you start at five minutes, and so on. it worked really well for my son, he responded very quickly to it and we only had to do it a few days before he got the hang of it.

this is what we did more or less and it was only bad for the first couple of nights, then she improved dramatically over a few nights and within like 5 days she was sleeping alone in her crib mostly through the night, which was super wild in contrast to her inability to sleep at all prior

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

meanolmrcloud posted:

just did the 2022 total daycare expenditure for taxes. 15.5k dollars for one kid, which is both a shitload of money and also not as bad as some other areas.

Our 2022 nanny cost was ~$12k prior to the tax hit coming... that was only May-Dec 2022 meaning a full year would be $18-$20k

We have GOT to get her into a daycare that can deal with her cow milk protein allergy or I'm going to be selling pics of my weirdly long feet to close the gap

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
One day I'm gonna craft that business plan for an in-home daycare. Old dude has the capital, so gently caress it. Whatever I gotta do to fulfill my dream of being stay-at-home dad.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

when both my kids are finally in school its going to feel like i got a massive raise at work lol

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

lobster shirt posted:

when both my kids are finally in school its going to feel like i got a massive raise at work lol

yeah. I spend now a fraction of daycare costs for after school care. thanks under funded school system!

it was awesome being an amateur accountant for those daycare years so I can get that sweet FSA reimbursement/payment. saved us about a month each year in daycare payments.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Just opened new bank account to handle FSA/HSA money buckets. It is so stupid lmao

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

lobster shirt posted:

One down, one to go for us and yes this is absolutely true

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
Frantically googling foreskin retraction irritation as my 5 year old LOSES HIS poo poo

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I have a friend who was really vocal about how he didn't circumcise his kids then when his youngest turned 8 he had to get a circumcision because his wang was strangling itself and my buddy was like "Woops probably should not have been so preachy."

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I wanted to circumcise one boy and not the other, for science, but I was out voted.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

both of ours had to have birth defects corrected so it wasn’t a choice.

adhesions aren’t fun but aren’t that abnormal so good luck but don’t feel bad.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I have a friend who was really vocal about how he didn't circumcise his kids then when his youngest turned 8 he had to get a circumcision because his wang was strangling itself and my buddy was like "Woops probably should not have been so preachy."

I'm absolutely eating a little crow rn. Just took 45 mins to convince him to sit in the tub. Now he's excited about his "new penis"

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
My ma was an immigrant and the doctor just did my circumcision when she was asleep, for free I guess idk. She just said "I dun understand, it's an American thing"

When my son was born we decided to circumcize him too, because neither of us want to explain the differences between dad's dong and his dong. Doctor came up to our room with an iphone and card reader dongle to charge us $300. It is one of the most uniquely American experiences to pay to ritualistically scar your child because it was done to you for free.

I get why, nobody washes their children here. Wife and inlaws are far too repressed and squeamish to ever pull back a foreskin.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
my kids have never really mentioned that they notice any difference between my dong and theirs.

p jealous about the foreskin though. wish I had one. I'd call it Aloysius.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Well, I too am American, so I just never want the possibility to even present itself. Want me to prove I'm American?!?

*Drops pants, points to dillz*

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

KirbyKhan posted:

Well, I too am American, so I just never want the possibility to even present itself. Want me to prove I'm American?!?

*Drops pants, points to dillz*

The border checks get stricter every year.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

kiddo pulls his back and goes ow ow ow

Idiot :rolleyes:

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

you guys voluntarily cut a bit of your baby's dicks off? :(

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

basically all baby boys have phimosis when they're born, its very common and resolves as they get a bit older without the need to immediately take a pipe slice to the dilz

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
Well it wouldn't go back in so we are at the ER now.
poor fuckin kid.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Oh no lil' bro

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

AxGrap posted:

Well it wouldn't go back in so we are at the ER now.
poor fuckin kid.

Brutal. I hope it all goes well for the little one. That's very scary. Hang in there!

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Good luck little wang warrior :(

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Kitfox88 posted:

Good luck little wang warrior :(

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
Penis is all good now, (they gave him fent and popped it back, his voice is hoarse from screaming) but it does make me appreciate how little I apparently know about uncircumcised penises.
Doesn't help that circumcision as an issue attracts the most unhinged people so half the poo poo you look up is suspect.

Thanks for the well wishes. Uff da what a day, penis penis penis.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

man, the content flags on Disney+ are the laziest things ever. like beyond useless.

the incredibles has a ton of guns and a literal suicide attempt in the first 10 minutes and the warning you get when it starts playing is that there are tobacco depictions and flashing lights.

like I'm not writing my senator or anything but it's just so fuckin dumb.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

its too close to bedtime for my son to be having the zoomies, he is literally just running in a circle between the kitchen and living room going aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. not looking forward to having to settle him down for bed...

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

That sounds like an overtired kid

My kid is 100% likely to sit still for stories even if she has the late-night sillies and that'll calm her down but I dunno if that's the general case

AxGrap posted:

Penis is all good now, (they gave him fent and popped it back, his voice is hoarse from screaming) but it does make me appreciate how little I apparently know about uncircumcised penises.
Doesn't help that circumcision as an issue attracts the most unhinged people so half the poo poo you look up is suspect.

Glad everything worked out :)

Still trying to figure out what we're gonna do w/r/t unborn baby's foreskin, because stuff like this happens but not very often and complications from circumcision happen but not very often

From what we can tell from up-to-date data, it makes very little difference either way

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
afaik it's just a coin flip either way for difficulties and whatnot but I'd go with au naturale and let them decide themselves when they're older. Maybe that's just me being a fencesitter though. Either way I'm glad your tyke is ok Ax :)

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

loquacius posted:

That sounds like an overtired kid

i was thinking you were wrong because normally when my son is tired he's very grumpy and fussy, not super energetic, but i just did our bedtime ritual and it seems like he went right to sleep lol. hope he stays that way!

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

AxGrap posted:

Mods change name to AxFlap

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I gave my (1 year and an half old) nephew a fidget cube I previously brought from my (late) father, and it was probably one of the better ideas I've had. When he feels fussy or fidgety and the parents aren't on a state to be fully with him, giving him something small with a lot of buttons and dials is a good compromise between "keeping the kid bored" and "giving the kid a phone on youtube", which is something I kinda want to avoid for his early years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I just worry that by giving the child a toy that encourages synthetic fidgeting... I might be stunting his abilities to organically fidget. tough choices.