Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Gargamel Gibson posted:

I don't like it when people think the sauce jus is called au jus. "Sandwich with au jus". Sandwich with with juice?! Dumb.

it's called with juice because it goes with the sandwich

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Why do they call it with juice when you with the juice of with the sandwich eat the sandwich?

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Mmmm sandwich juice.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

Joey Freshwater posted:

Gmail search has the same rules as google search. If you want something specific, put it in quotes. If you’re getting a lot of results that have something in it you don’t want, use -(word) to force a removal of that word or phrase.

Here’s a list of the different operators to make your search easier: https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/2466433

That's the point. They hosed up search so badly that it only works properly if you use operators and filters, and usually I don't know what operators I need until I discover that searching for 'ducks' is giving me results for 'geese' and 'Oregon'. Regular Google search would at least put a few of the 'ducks' results first before deciding I didn't actually mean to search for half the words I typed.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I made a mistake and read the comment section on an MSNBC story about wealth disparity between generations

God drat, do boomers all have google alerts set up for any opportunity to make misspelled screeds against anyone younger than them? Christ I can't wait until they die off

Manager Hoyden has a new favorite as of 18:51 on Jan 18, 2023

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Just comment that you're looking forward to turning them into soylent green

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

My favorite that I've seen is something along the lines of "I can't wait for our generation to follow your generation's example on elder care"

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I get mildly annoyed that when I tell people I hate flying they always seem to jump to "well you shouldn't be scared, it's the safest form of travel!"

I'm not scared or nervous...I just loving HATE IT. It's a hassle, we all know this. Every hack comedian for the past 40 years has a bit about flying sucking, and half of those jokes are pre 9/11 and TSA measures, even.

Getting to the airport is a pain and expensive. I live in a small city/large town, like 40K people, maybe 100K total if you add up all the surrounding towns. So it's functionally a regional airport with no good public transit access. So I either drive and pay for parking, which for a trip less than 5/6 days is actually not a bad option cause at least the airport parking is cheap here, or pay like $50 for a cab or Uber/Lyft from my place to the airport. And, since it's just a small regional airport, unless it's a major city on the east coast, or Detroit or Chicago, there will not be a direct flight there. And the timing of so many of the flights out is really bad for a lot of connections. So I get to my airport at 5 AM for a 6: AM flight to JFK, land at like 7, but when you account for taxiing, delays, etc... I can't rely on any connecting flight before 9, but then I find out there really aren't any 9 AM ones anyway so I'm stuck waiting till 10 or 11.

My GF and I are going to Hawaii in March and I am not looking forward to the travel remotely. It actually seems like our "best" option is drive ~5 hours to Boston and convince my sister into giving us a ride to Logan in the morning so we can actually take a direct flight there.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I know turbulence is safe but that doesn't mean the physical sensation of being tossed around is anything other than tolerable through great effort to dissociate

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I have a peeve: Time off and podcasts. Don't get me wrong, I like having days off from work, but I listen to podcasts all day.

A 3 day weekend is easy enough to absorb into a work week, 4 days depends on if anyone else took that holiday off. My work shuts down for Christmas, which for me ended up being 11 days. I'm still catching up, and that included deleting a few episodes, I probably won't be back to zero for another week or two

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Airlines and airports suck all the joy out of flying. The actual “being in the sky” part is awesome.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I can tolerate flying, but I will never, ever be able to remove the swirling background thoughts of plummeting to a terrifying, firey death out of my mind for even a single second of a flight.

I have a minor panic at every single bump, change in engine sound, 'seatbelt on' signal, worried looking cabin crew. Amplify it all by ten times when flying over the ocean. It's super annoying to have such an irrational fear.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s weird I’m full of anxiety so much every day but during a plane ride whenever it gets wack I just stop caring and go whatever. If I die I hope it’s quick.

I think I really hate flying that much. Pain in the rear end and deeply uncomfortable lol

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

The Perfect Element posted:

It's super annoying to have such an irrational fear.

I mean, given that flight has been around for like .001% of the time in which we've had to evolve our lizard-brains, I don't think it's at all irrational that your brain interprets flying 35,000 feet over the ocean at 600 mph in a thing made by people as dangerous.

For me, the fear is alleviated just by reminding myself that at this point there is nothing I can possibly do to survive or die if something happens. Since it's out of my hands, it's no longer a concern!

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

How is 'there is no way to save yourself' supposed to be comforting

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Killingyouguy! posted:

Que sera sera

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I don't really mind flying in itself, but I really don't enjoy being stuck in close quarters with a lot of people and flying is about the most "stuck in close quarters with a lot of people" it's possible to be.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Killingyouguy! posted:

I'd probably fail to save myself anyhow, so having it out of my hands is kind of relieving at least

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Yeah if I was gonna die I'd rather it not be my fault lol.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Killingyouguy! posted:

You can't do anything either way. Just enjoy the ride

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Killingyouguy! posted:

There's no reason to think about what you could or should do in case of emergency, because the answer is "nothing". You don't need to obsess over precautions you could have taken but didn't, because there aren't any. There's no use in paying attention or staying focused, because it won't help. You have absolutely no responsibility for anything that happens and cannot affect the outcome in any way. You might as well live in fear of being struck by a meteorite.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I can dodge a meteorite. Just watch.

You may have to wait a bit tho

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If I die I die.

Not really my problem.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It is if you go defending your life world afterward

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

docbeard posted:

I don't really mind flying in itself, but I really don't enjoy being stuck in close quarters with a lot of people and flying is about the most "stuck in close quarters with a lot of people" it's possible to be.

Yeah, my issue with flying is apparently no airplane designer believes men with my shoulder width exist, so I wind up effectively compacted in a tiny box for hours trying not to get in my neighbor’s space. My shoulders inevitably are in agony afterwards. Bus seats at least seem somewhat better about that.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I find flying relaxing for the most part but one time during a flight from New York to Copenhagen, it was pitch black outside and I couldn't see any land anywhere despite the fact that we were actively in the process of landing, and my general thought was "I've had a good run :shrug: :rip:"

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

It's like flying into Sitka, AK or to a lesser extent SFO. There is nothing but water underneath you until you are distressingly low.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
The Amazon music app is an absolute piece of poo poo. It crashes all the time, is incredibly janky, poorly designed, and just in general doesn't feel like a product created by one of the biggest corporations on earth .

But it has a fairly comprehensive library and costs £8 a month for uhd audio, and I can't really justify paying more than double that for any of its competitors.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
People that hand me something to read and then never stop talking at me so can read it. No matter how interested in your message I am, I can't read it if you won't shut up so I can look.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
Is being able to read and write at the same time a thing I just don't know about? Like that circular breathing thing some brass instrument players can do?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Dip Viscous posted:

Is being able to read and write at the same time a thing I just don't know about? Like that circular breathing thing some brass instrument players can do?

What? :confused:

You can't read and write at the same time? What about reading and typing?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Dip Viscous posted:

Do you mean read and listen? Or is this different than your first example of someone talking while you're trying to read?

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
I can listen to people talk and type it quickly enough that I don't have to ask the them to slow down at all but I will never get how people read at the same time too.

Edit: I thought it was two separate thought threads for everyone, don't derail.

Dip Viscous has a new favorite as of 14:44 on Jan 21, 2023

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Dip Viscous posted:

I can listen to people talk and type it quickly enough that I don't have to ask the them to slow down at all but I will never get how people read at the same time too.

Edit: I thought it was two separate thought threads for everyone, don't derail.

Are you talking about taking dictation?

edit: lol taking dictation

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
I can type several times faster than I can read and understand the text, but people will like, hand me a pamphlet and act like I immediately understand the contents.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Dip Viscous posted:

I can type several times faster than I can read and understand the text, but people will like, hand me a pamphlet and act like I immediately understand the contents.

So if someone handed you e.g. an encyclopedia article and asked you to type it up as fast as you could, you could quickly transcribe it but wouldn't really know what it said by the time you were done?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

the holy poopacy posted:

So if someone handed you e.g. an encyclopedia article and asked you to type it up as fast as you could, you could quickly transcribe it but wouldn't really know what it said by the time you were done?

That's not unusual. When I was in jail I used to transcribe legal documents for some inmates in exchange for soda and stamps. I am an extremely fast typist; I once competed in a tournament and won second place with 136 perfect WPM thank you thank you but anyway the point is no please sit down everybody haha hold your applause the point is, I would transcribe a lot of documents but it was all just like, words going into my eyes, words being output by my fingers, and by the end I'd have no idea what any of it was about.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
^ Exactly this. Seeing words and parsing sentences are separate things.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Because eyes and facial features on thumbnails make them more eye-catching, people are slowly editing them more and more to see if they get a handful more views.
I've started noticing more and more video makers editing in giant eyes, and at this rate I fully expect that half of youtube's thumbnails will look like Greys in a couple years.

The perpetual chase to game the lovely algorithms just keep making the web less and less human every goddamn day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
The only thumbnails that I click on are vague shots of sexy ladies that aren't in the video. The algorithm is perfect already.