Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I like gentle matte coatings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i love shaving mirrors glossy screens because i don't even have to turn off my monitor to get the joke

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Truga posted:

i love shaving mirrors glossy screens because i don't even have to turn off my monitor to get the joke

That’s what tempered glass side panels are for

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

As long as it's not a TFT you should be okay, don't wanna tweak your neck on some slippery pixels (this was a Whole Thing in the monitors thread)

Personally I am eyeing one of those 500hz+ monitors but I might wait an iteration based on my experience between early 240 and late 280

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

MarcusSA posted:

Ok yeah 4K OLED is fuckin impressive.

I have a second monitor hooked up and it makes it look so dated.

Not super happy with how glossy the screen is but there’s not much that can be done about that.

What OLED did you get?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

hobbesmaster posted:

Are they sitting 3” away from the screen? :lol:
I am, from the 10" 2560x1600 screen on my laptop. And it does make everything else look like rear end

Have you considered...glasses? 27" 1440p shouldn't require scaling, let alone 200%.
vvv

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jan 18, 2023

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

New Zealand can eat me posted:

As long as it's not a TFT you should be okay, don't wanna tweak your neck on some slippery pixels (this was a Whole Thing in the monitors thread)

Personally I am eyeing one of those 500hz+ monitors but I might wait an iteration based on my experience between early 240 and late 280

I'm big on 240 Hz monitors, been using them for quite some time, started out with an asus 1080p TN, now I'm using a dell 1440p IPS. The problem I see with 480/500 Hz displays is that almost any modern game is going to run into a CPU limit way before then. Even 240 Hz is unreachable on a lot of games because of CPU limits no matter what resolution you run at.

Also moving from 24"/1080p to 27"/1440p was not really an improvement in gaming at all other than better contrast and oversaturation due to switching from a ~103% sRGB TN to a ~99% DCI-P3 IPS. Otherwise modern anti-aliasing was good enough that the lower pixel density in 24"/1080p was indistinguishable in any kind of action from 27"/1440p. Desktop use is somewhat better, but it doesn't actually have any more practical usable real estate because everything has to be scaled up to compensate for higher pixel density or it would be too small to look at. I already ran 24"/1080p at 150%, and 1440p works best at 200%. So literally neither option has more effective usable space than 720p @ 100%, of course fonts/images do look better in exchange so its still worth it.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

100% and likewise (Started on the 240hz Alienwares, now using the 280hz AW2518HF and it's 27" counterpart), I'm 99.9% CPU limited in every single title at 1080p with this 7900XTX, at "sweaty" settings or everything at max. Even dropping down the 3950X to one CCX only moves the goalposts to "99% CPU limited" :v:

It's fully 5800X3D/7xxxX3D territory. Where absurd sounding metrics like "12200fps in CS:GO" are the norm (and while I am not a sponsored pro, some of the people I play quake etc against are). Otherwise I am currently very much enjoying "no compromises 1080p280hz" (RT aside)

I do miss the color accuracy a lot especially coming from Mac Land. Very apprehensive about these new panels but they should at the least be an improvement over where we're at now.

Just sold the 6900XT to a nameless gamer upgrading from a 3060 TI, they're geeked! The best used 3090 they could find was going for $900! Going to do the mature thing and buy an M2 Mac Mini instead of blow this on a 5800X3D in the hopes that prices somehow drop even further.

E: I have nothing other than my eyes to quantify this with, but after ~2 years of extended daily use I'm actually swapping the 27" to be my main display and relegating the 25" to vertical sidecar duty. Zero additional ghosting to report but it just doesn't seem as vivid anymore.

New Zealand can eat me fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 18, 2023

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Indiana_Krom posted:

1440p works best at 200%.

:whitewater:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

careful where you say these things. the glossy vs matte wars have gotten out of control in some parts of the internet

Oh I am definitely aware of that. Luckily I am moving soon so the glare won’t be nearly as big of an issue as it is now.

I have a matte screen on my deck and I definitely prefer it but it definitely reduces the image quality.

Listerine posted:

What OLED did you get?

The LG C2 42 inch. It was from the LG refurb store for $679 (I thought it was $650).

Only real complaint I have is that the stand (two feet) are janky AF but I’m going to get a monitor arm for it when I move.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

200% may be excessive unless you're an old or vision impaired, but yeah 27" for 1440p is too small (100% zoom in Windows) for the average population imho.
Too bad because it's about the max size a desk monitor can be without looking ridonculous.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I can see everything just fine on my 27" 1440p monitor at 100% scaling even from 3 feet away. Heck, it's still legible at 4

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I can't. I mean I can read everything, but not always comfortably.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I don't have scaling enabled in windows, but on most websites including the forums I use the browser's zoom to go up a few levels. Same in text editors.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I just wear glasses.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I'm myopic.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

i do 100% for 1440p on a 27in monitor. my eyes are like 28in from the monitor while postin. It is Gods Chosen resolution/panel size/scaling ok cya.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Cygni posted:

i do 100% for 1440p on a 27in monitor. my eyes are like 28in from the monitor while postin. It is Gods Chosen resolution/panel size/scaling ok cya.

:same:

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Can I downgrade Nvidia drivers by just installing older package over current one? Or do I need to uninstall first?

E: turns out you can

Sininu fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jan 18, 2023

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh
Limiting framerate helped for older games since limiting the max FPS to 60 is so much lower than the max that it draws way less power and makes very little noise, but for anything demanding like Portal RTX the framerate is already low enough that the limit doesn't make a difference. There power limiting helped, but it wasn't substantially quieter until I cut it down to 50% power, which also had a noticeable effect on the framerate. I think I'll just have to decide whether I can live with the noise or not.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Is coil whine more down to the individual card or the model? That is, can you rely on reviews assuming they mention it at all?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-4060-ti-specs-updated-to-160w-tdp-now-less-power-than-3060-ti

uhhhhhhh how is this going to be a generational improvement over the 3060Ti

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

necrobobsledder posted:

It's kind of a common issue I'm seeing where FF games get released with way too many polys and points in their models to be sensible. For example, vases and shrubs in FF XIV at initial release had far more polys than enemies. See: https://www.gameinformer.com/b/news...rst-launch.aspx and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAydRZ1zeCA

A lot of the issues seem very, very similar to what happened with Cyberpunk along the way including the hubris following success. Thing is, you'd think that the veterans that dealt with FF 14 would have gone to FF XV and then onto Luminous and taken a lot of the lessons to heart. So uh, what's with the repeat of a past failure at presumably the same set of leadership in theory about 8 years later for the development of what became Forspoken?

The FFXIV veterans are still working on FFXIV and are now also doing FFXVI. I suppose the rest the company didn't learn anything.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Rinkles posted:

That’s what tempered glass side panels are for

lmao
i figured i'd save some cash and got the glass version of my case because it was on sale when i was buying and i could very clearly see the entire goddamn monitor in it, the reflection was so clear. i kept twitching for a few hours because poo poo was constantly moving in the edge of my vision

luckily the left and right panels are identical so i just swapped them

gradenko_2000 posted:

uhhhhhhh how is this going to be a generational improvement over the 3060Ti

dlss3.0 lol

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

GhostDog posted:

Is coil whine more down to the individual card or the model? That is, can you rely on reviews assuming they mention it at all?

Number of factors. Make, BOM, power supply used, how hard you're willing to push the card, etc. it's not uncommon for 2 cards of the same SKU to react differently when it comes to coil whine.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

That's the neat part, it's not going to!

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

I'm about to buy an used 3070, choosing between standard and pre-overclocked model. Can I just overclock Asus RTX 3070 Tuf into Gaming OC without more power consumption? How does silicon lottery play into this?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Sininu posted:

I'm about to buy an used 3070, choosing between standard and pre-overclocked model. Can I just overclock Asus RTX 3070 Tuf into Gaming OC without more power consumption? How does silicon lottery play into this?

Probably - most factory OCs tend to be fairly conservative anyway and I'd say it's not usually worth the extra cost. Silicon lottery can play a part but I doubt they do much binning for the TUF series.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

By having a much faster clock speed. Looks like there will be a roughly 40% improvement to FLOPS. I'm guessing we'll see that dragged down to a ~20% - 30% real performance improvement due to the slower memory bus.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jan 18, 2023

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

ijyt posted:

Probably - most factory OCs tend to be fairly conservative anyway and I'd say it's not usually worth the extra cost. Silicon lottery can play a part but I doubt they do much binning for the TUF series.

Thanks!

I got another question. Any way to find out what thickness the thermal pads of my Gigabyte 2070S were? I used it with a third party heatsink all this time, but if I want to sell it I need to reassemble it with the stock cooler.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Sininu posted:

Thanks!

I got another question. Any way to find out what thickness the thermal pads of my Gigabyte 2070S were? I used it with a third party heatsink all this time, but if I want to sell it I need to reassemble it with the stock cooler.

No clue on that one unless there's a teardown guide somewhere that mentions it.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

OhFunny posted:

The FFXIV veterans are still working on FFXIV and are now also doing FFXVI. I suppose the rest the company didn't learn anything.

Forspoken is by the people who made XV, the game known for it's DLSS 1.0 benchmark that was for some reason rendering bushes halfway across the open world. Despite the popular perception of Square as one big house of feather-haired dewy eyed anime boys, it's a bit more like Microsoft where you have developers like Obsidian using known industry leading tools and weirdos like Arkane trying to go their own way. Same is true between all of Square's studios, and Final Fantasy is the bong passed between them.

XVI is largely complete already, and it's release window is more a reflection of Sony wanting to get more PS5s on shelves before launching a system seller than anything.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jan 18, 2023

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

ijyt posted:

No clue on that one unless there's a teardown guide somewhere that mentions it.
Found it! https://thermalpad.eu/thermal-pad-sizes/gigabyte-geforce-rtx-2080-gaming-oc-8g/
My card has the same cooler as that 2080 one and it seems to match up couple other reddit posts.

Oh phew, I was spooked that maybe I have to go with trial and error.

Holy poo poo new pads on that site are expensive... 50 euros plus shipping to get pads back wth. But I must do it because prices are even higher in the few places that sell pads in my country.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jan 18, 2023

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Craptacular! posted:

Forspoken is by the people who made XV, the game known for it's DLSS 1.0 benchmark that was for some reason rendering bushes halfway across the open world. Despite the popular perception of Square as one big house of feather-haired dewy eyed anime boys, it's a bit more like Microsoft where you have developers like Obsidian using known industry leading tools and weirdos like Arkane trying to go their own way. Same is true between all of Square's studios, and Final Fantasy is the bong passed between them.

XVI is largely complete already, and it's release window is more a reflection of Sony wanting to get more PS5s on shelves before launching a system seller than anything.

Forspoken is on the FF15 engine (Luminous Engine), while FF16 is UE4, branching off from their FF7R engine. Meanwhile, FF14 1.0 was on Crystal Tools (the FF13 engine) while FF14 2.0 is on a mostly new engine that is nonetheless related to Luminous in some nebulous way. So there's a lot of cross contamination between the different teams at S-E, and I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of FF7R people worked on FF16 too despite the project leads being from FF14. These lines are blurry.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

This is like those beautiful 3D bean stews they made for final fantasy (or was it star citizen?)

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Forspoken is on the FF15 engine (Luminous Engine), while FF16 is UE4, branching off from their FF7R engine. Meanwhile, FF14 1.0 was on Crystal Tools (the FF13 engine) while FF14 2.0 is on a mostly new engine that is nonetheless related to Luminous in some nebulous way. So there's a lot of cross contamination between the different teams at S-E, and I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of FF7R people worked on FF16 too despite the project leads being from FF14. These lines are blurry.
FF16 seems to at the very least borrow heavily from FF14 2.0's engine.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

And the modern FFXIVs engine is fork of the FFXV engine.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Those polygon levels are insane. I'm barely dipping into 3d modeling and I already have learned the importance of retopology.

I guess what I mean is that I can't imagine that the artists behind SoP don't don't know this. Something else lead to this, like management not caring or crunch time or something.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
I remember the low poly grass mod for oblivion to improve performance. Wonder if anyone will make a SoP mod to replace models with decimated versions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Knowing Nvidia it's going to be a $499 MSRP.

...it's going to actually be $599 isn't it, and the 4070 being $699? :ohdear: