Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

oh god bbc in the battletech thread is something i didn't realize i needed in my life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBeefCity
Oct 26, 2022

~*Special Delivery*~
~*For Anime Fans*~

OVERSIZE
PACKAGE
I can poo poo post and work your rear end over for C-Bills just as easy.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

BigBeefCity posted:

I can poo poo post and work your rear end over for C-Bills just as easy.

shitposting is an expensive hobby and you need the C-Bills.

The ComStar acolyte eyes you warily:
"The customer is always right of course, but by blake's kindly claw, are you sure you want to engage 1 hour of HPG time to send this drivel?"

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

DTRPG has sent me notifications that a bunch of Recognition Guides - so far up to number 16 - have been updated. I downloaded the first one and it didn't seem like much changed. Was it just some copyright text change or something not consequential to gameplay or lore?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Strobe posted:

Garrison contracts tend to be given out to proven outfits and not every new outfit with a brand new paint job. They're the cush assignments you get after you've paid your dues. They can certainly try to do that but they'd be few and far between at the 'federal' level. They may have more luck taking contracts for local lords or backwaters, but then they run the risk of their contract expiring in the middle of loving nowhere and the next jumpship isn't due for weeks or months.

Garrison contracts are also something that units tend to go for when they're in the "rest, rebuilt, and recruit" stage. If you're a well established and reputable Merc group (especially once that's large enough) you may have some/all of your troops do garrison duty for a year or three on some semi-important (but not that important) location. Smaller or less reputable groups tend to only get garrison contracts closer to the periphery if not by periphery powers or independent worlds. Those are the ones that have a decent chance of becoming bonded by debts or even have an attempt by the employer to seize their equipment.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

The Rakshasa is what happens when someone didn't successfully talk the NAIS out of the Waterley Plan (AKA: "refit all of our catapults to this configuration!") after first images of the Clan Timberwolf started coming in.

It's a weird semi-experimental unit made out of cheap, locally-sourced Marauder parts and built by GM. It's the Hummer H2 of BattleMechs.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

BattleMaster posted:

DTRPG has sent me notifications that a bunch of Recognition Guides - so far up to number 16 - have been updated. I downloaded the first one and it didn't seem like much changed. Was it just some copyright text change or something not consequential to gameplay or lore?

I think a couple of them are just errata fixes. I do know that they added two new variants to the Griffin: the 1RG and 3RG, which guarded the Archon's throne. I haven't gone through to compare books after the first one though.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
I rather like the Rakshasa, even if it is gloriously dumb and bad. I especially like the 2A version, which some have interpretted to look like ED-209 from Robocop

I kind of hope they make an ilClan variant.

BigBeefCity
Oct 26, 2022

~*Special Delivery*~
~*For Anime Fans*~

OVERSIZE
PACKAGE

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

oh god bbc in the battletech thread is something i didn't realize i needed in my life

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Rakshasa is what happens when someone didn't successfully talk the NAIS out of the Waterley Plan (AKA: "refit all of our catapults to this configuration!") after first images of the Clan Timberwolf started coming in.

It's a weird semi-experimental unit made out of cheap, locally-sourced Marauder parts and built by GM. It's the Hummer H2 of BattleMechs.

I own this t-shirt

you work that bitch into what you're doing.
;)

BigBeefCity fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 17, 2023

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

PoptartsNinja posted:

"Mom, can we have Mad Cats?"

"We have Mad Cats at home."

Mad Cats at home:

Apologies to Eddie Murphy

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Defiance Industries posted:

I think a couple of them are just errata fixes. I do know that they added two new variants to the Griffin: the 1RG and 3RG, which guarded the Archon's throne. I haven't gone through to compare books after the first one though.

Lots of fixes. There's also a new Battlemaster, Introtech Stone Rhino, Crockett, and a couple others I've heard so far.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The Rakshasa wouldn't be as bad if Clan missile racks weren't concentrated BS.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Got basecoating done for my Martian Camo unit and, well.

I'm not sure adding splotches of a darker, richer red are going to make this look less like someone made an Atlas out of raw meat.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Flayed Atlas

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Super Meat Atlas

Richter Scabies
Dec 30, 2012

AS7-(WA)D

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

do up an urbie as a pickle on the side

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm not sure adding splotches of a darker, richer red are going to make this look less like someone made an Atlas out of raw meat.

Meat is cheap, mechs are no-

Ok now I’m confused.

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow

PoptartsNinja posted:

Gabagool.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Get beefy. Get REAL beefy.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Now comes the part where I kick myself because I just realized I painted the 'mechs I set aside for desert camo up as Mars camo.

I can probably just re-prime them but it's a pretty similar combination of 'Mechs (long range ammo users primarily) so I might just roll with the gently caress-up. One desert's as good as another, right?

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
MEATLAS

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

Now comes the part where I kick myself because I just realized I painted the 'mechs I set aside for desert camo up as Mars camo.

I can probably just re-prime them but it's a pretty similar combination of 'Mechs (long range ammo users primarily) so I might just roll with the gently caress-up. One desert's as good as another, right?

…so you’ve got a whole desert meat-market going on then?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Something like that. It's a real meat circus right now.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Something like that. It's a real meat circus right now.

None battletech right beef

BigBeefCity
Oct 26, 2022

~*Special Delivery*~
~*For Anime Fans*~

OVERSIZE
PACKAGE
frankly I love it

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Taurians, right?

Edit: ^ I mean naturally.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
I am curious what exactly makes the Rakshasa bad. It seems reasonable enough; IS XL engines aren't my favorite but the loadout doesn't seem disastrous.

BigBeefCity
Oct 26, 2022

~*Special Delivery*~
~*For Anime Fans*~

OVERSIZE
PACKAGE
^^e: It's slow, under armored, and easily out-gunned. It was the Inner-Spheres' answer to the MadCat and it didn't do any of the things. I mean I'd take it for a walk in the park, don't get me wrong... but as a combat vessel...*makes farting sound*

look I'm just saying that if in their current campaign a fully beefed company arrived to save the day that would be great. No need to be rude.
ps I prefer Archer and Warhammer variants. I like the long guns.
...No AC/2's though those are worthless I don't care what you say.

BigBeefCity fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jan 18, 2023

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

BigBeefCity posted:

^^e: It's slow, under armored, and easily out-gunned. It was the Inner-Spheres' answer to the MadCat and it didn't do any of the things. I mean I'd take it for a walk in the park, don't get me wrong... but as a combat vessel...*makes farting sound*

It's got the same movement profile and almost the same armor coverage as the Mad Cat, nobody calls it slow or underarmored. The weapon fit suffers both from not enough crit space and lacking the frankly absurd clan LRM racks, but it can still force a PSR at 20 hexes and has a decent battery up close. The Rakshasa is a perfectly competent cavalry heavy, it only suffers compared to the Mad Cat's damage output.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

I say go all in on your Fresh Meat Company, make them look all bloody and terrify your enemies with your gorey Battlemechs

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

raverrn posted:

It's got the same movement profile and almost the same armor coverage as the Mad Cat, nobody calls it slow or underarmored. The weapon fit suffers both from not enough crit space and lacking the frankly absurd clan LRM racks, but it can still force a PSR at 20 hexes and has a decent battery up close. The Rakshasa is a perfectly competent cavalry heavy, it only suffers compared to the Mad Cat's damage output.

It's not really a cavalry heavy, because it's pretty bad up close. It's a skirmisher heavy, which is a very weird niche to be in.

BigBeefCity
Oct 26, 2022

~*Special Delivery*~
~*For Anime Fans*~

OVERSIZE
PACKAGE

raverrn posted:

The Rakshasa is a perfectly competent cavalry heavy, it only suffers compared to the Mad Cat's damage output.

*takes a very long, very slow drag, comically*
...No

I mean I kinda get what you're going for, I guess? But unless you're keen on piloting one, wtf. She's a burner. And with that I'll end it.

BigBeefCity fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jan 18, 2023

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

PoptartsNinja posted:

Atlas out of raw meat.

Atlas Slug.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The two biggest problems with the Rakshasa vs the Mad Cat Prime both involve the LRMs:

If if going from Clan to IS meant that it would have LRM 15s instead of 10s, it would be a lot better

The lack of minimum range on Clan LRMs makes them usable at brawling range

Honorable mention to the trash that is the IS ER LL vs the clan version and the lack of an ER Medium for the IS at that time.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Going to dip my toe into getting my head around ground vehicle rules to have some missions on the table for my kiddo's merc campaign where she faces a morally complicated "These guys are PARTISAN BANDITS" but it turns out they are under-equipped revolutionaries fighting a fat cat planetary governor. I suspect she'll turn her back on a paycheck and help 'em out knowing her.

Anyway drat I knew Savannah Masters were fast but I guess I never really looked at their record sheet, holy hell they tear rear end across open ground.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Are Savannah Masters going to be in the Merc kickstarter?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I don't think so. FWIW Iron Wind sells them for two bucks a piece, though. Probably gonna buy a whole battalion of them to fill out the 2nd Donegal RCT.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Speaking of pieces, is it alright to make trades in this thread? Or ask for/offer trades? Looking for a Kit Fox since I messed up my first one with the wrong primer. Got a couple lights I can trade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Speaking of pieces, is it alright to make trades in this thread? Or ask for/offer trades? Looking for a Kit Fox since I messed up my first one with the wrong primer. Got a couple lights I can trade.

I don't have that one spare unless you want a resin print, but I wouldn't call it a lost cause before you give it a Simple Green bath.