Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Zereth posted:

... What is that thing and why is Nekonaughey so disappointed about it?

I assume the green thing is a pouch of wasabi and the other thing is a little plastic bottle of soy sauce. Nekonaughey doesn't know what to do with the unused sauce. Much like me when it comes to the pickled ginger that comes with sushi...

EDIT: Actually the green might be just one of those plastic grass decorations that separate different food portions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

And Ed immediately squanders whatever small goodwill the audience had towards him as a result of getting poo poo on in the pole vault story.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Zereth posted:

... What is that thing and why is Nekonaughey so disappointed about it?

it's a little bottle of sauce, presumably for the rice, that he discovered after eating all of the rice :smith:

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin

Weirdly, I agree with Ed here. Telling me to buy several full price entrees to make a full meal because they're "trendy"? gently caress you, rear end in a top hat.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

It's a late goodbye, such a late goodbye...

Child Comix

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

we are meant to despise the waiter and wish suffering upon him

you can discern this via his Effeminate Millennial Hairstyle

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!

Hwurmp posted:

we are meant to despise the waiter and wish suffering upon him

you can discern this via his Effeminate Millennial Hairstyle

aka the Inverse Ed.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Every time Ed and Mrs. Ed go to a restaurant they know he'll definitely hate. Why? You can go to a cheap white people food restaurant! There's thousands of them!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Applebee's seems more Ed's style.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

samcarsten posted:

Weirdly, I agree with Ed here. Telling me to buy several full price entrees to make a full meal because they're "trendy"? gently caress you, rear end in a top hat.

It actually rules and is one of my favorite food trends that about 80 percent of nice restaurants in my city do now. They aren't priced as a full entrees. So if you order a steak, you're not getting a 12oz cut and a side, but you're getting about 3oz or so of sliced steak and no side for about a quarter of the price, and then you order sides/salad/bread/cheese/dips/another protein to go with it. It's awesome because I love sharing and trying new food, and I don't like eating big American portions. It will definitely be more expensive than a casual pizza place, but they aren't charging full-sized nice-restaurant prices for each small plate.

The server is also doing Ed a huge favor by giving him a heads up that the dishes are designed to be split. My mom literally cannot wrap her head around the concept when she visits. Even though she has requested to revisit restaurants where they do it. We'll sit down, and she'll immediately say, "I'll have the chicken," and put the menu down. Guess it's a boomer thing

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin

Professor Wayne posted:

It actually rules and is one of my favorite food trends that about 80 percent of nice restaurants in my city do now. They aren't priced as a full entrees. So if you order a steak, you're not getting a 12oz cut and a side, but you're getting about 3oz or so of sliced steak and no side for about a quarter of the price, and then you order sides/salad/bread/cheese/dips/another protein to go with it. It's awesome because I love sharing and trying new food, and I don't like eating big American portions. It will definitely be more expensive than a casual pizza place, but they aren't charging full-sized nice-restaurant prices for each small plate.

The server is also doing Ed a huge favor by giving him a heads up that the dishes are designed to be split. My mom literally cannot wrap her head around the concept when she visits. Even though she has requested to revisit restaurants where they do it. We'll sit down, and she'll immediately say, "I'll have the chicken," and put the menu down. Guess it's a boomer thing

oh, that makes sense.

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Murdstone posted:

[
Mark Trail

:china:

Any particular reason the artist decided they had to draw the squirrels going full on discovery channel in the first panel, there?
EDIT: You know what, this may be considered NSFW. - gently caress, that didn't work.
[nsfw]
:nws: youtube.com/watch?v=xat1GVnl8-k :nws:
[/nsfw]

thisusedyet fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jan 18, 2023

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
So is there a joke in the thread title that I'm missing about 'stripes'?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (May 21-23, 1923)

Toonerville Folks (July 26-28, 1920; timg/spoiler combo for a bad case of the Usual Reasons.)

If you can't tell, this one bugs the high hell out of me, to the point where I scanned ahead as a quality check. This specific stinker of a premise only shows up in my source's search results a handful of times, and we've already hit most of them (although even a wishy-washy estimate like that depends on OCR catching them all). That's not me signing a pledge that The Usual Issues largely vanish from Toonerville after 1921 (oh God no), just this particular two-act.

Anyway...

That's right, rowdyism. After last year's Potlatch debacle, they're not screwing around with hooliganism.

In hindsight, this is the beginning of the end, since (spoiler alert) there was no 1915 Potlatch. Still, enjoy it while you can, I guess.

Dok's "Poe But Honest" Duck (July 17, 1914)

Little Lefty (November 22-24, 1937)

Wonder if the there was a motive behind getting Patsy into pants for these last couple of appearances. Some newsworthy story that might've put this costume change into motion? Hmmmm...

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Professor Wayne posted:

Not a boomer thing, it's a boundaries thing. I have my own dietary restrictions/preferences, if I order my own food I don't get in anybody's way and they can eat whatever they like.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Darthemed posted:

So is there a joke in the thread title that I'm missing about 'stripes'?
Are you familiar with the concept of "a typo"?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

the stripes make the comics go faster

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bruceski posted:

Not a boomer thing, it's a boundaries thing. I have my own dietary restrictions/preferences, if I order my own food I don't get in anybody's way and they can eat whatever they like.

If Ed has such restrictions/preferences, then presumably his own wife would know about them. And even if they'd gone to the pizza restaurant that Ed wanted, chances are they'd still have ordered a pizza to share, so they'd still have to consider each other's dietary preferences/needs. This is just Ed being grumpy.

Don't get me wrong, I do get what you're saying, and it's a perfectly valid reason to be disinclined to go to a tapas-style place with a large group. But it doesn't really apply here.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Gil Thorp

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Zereth posted:

Are you familiar with the concept of "a typo"?
tbh the thread started with "strips" spelled correctly, so it's a fair question two title edits later. :v:

1980 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (February 14, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

B. Virtanen

ANSU

Fingerpori
I forgot that I had also received the 15th Fingerpori album recently! I think I'll post all of it, one strip at a time so that explanations for the joke can be included if necessary. However, we'll start with the inner cover illustrations:

Apologies for the scan quality

VKing
Apr 22, 2008

samcarsten posted:

I didn't get this at first because I thought, okay, there's a bunch of small stuff before the main course, sounds normal.

And then I remembered that, in america, the entrée *is* the main course.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

:china:
So we established that the only thing Jules has got going over Jam is that she's not got abhorrent personal values, which I was prepared to grudgingly accept, but if she's going all in on "tracking your kids is actually super good and reasonable and healthy" I'm standing the gently caress by to flip that switch waaay over in the other direction.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Am I the only one who prefers old-school "actually like a dog" Snoopy in both design and behaviour to the more famous fat-nosed humanoid Snoopy?

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Payndz posted:

Am I the only one who prefers old-school "actually like a dog" Snoopy in both design and behaviour to the more famous fat-nosed humanoid Snoopy?

I think that is the more common opinion among people who post in this thread (although I do personally prefer later Peanuts to the old stuff).

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Payndz posted:

Not at all.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Haifisch posted:

2018 Spiderman

And that's the end of this glorious, stupid strip. As much as I love NSM, I'm posting a billion more comics than I did when I first started posting reruns from 1999 onward, and that includes another timeline of NSM. So as much fun as it'd be to start from the 'beginning' again, I'm gonna let it rest for a bit.

An archive of Spiderman strips from 1999 to 2017 can be found in the OP of the Newspaper Spiderman thread, and strips from later years are posted throughout it(mostly by Synthbuttrange). Modern reruns are still being posted there, so check it out if you need more :spidey: in your life.

Feels weird to mention starting from the "beginning" again considering you kind of already did, although yeah, old Spider-Man and new Spider-Man are kind of obviously not coming from the same source. Thanks for posting!

I feel like Monty's really underselling how messed up it is that he signed up an obviously-not-intended-for-combat intelligent robot to a robot fight without its permission.

riderchop posted:

On The Fastrack

A perky goth with a negative charisma score kind of beggers disbelief, especially considering that Dethany works most closely with Fi, whose main characteristic is that she openly hates nearly everyone.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Old Snoopy is fine, but I much prefer bipedal, egocentric, delusional-yet-oddly-accomplished Snoopy. By far the more interesting character.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (May 01, 1955)

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

Green Intern posted:

I've noticed that April is apparently left unsupervised a lot of the time. Maybe these things wouldn't happen if that wasn't the case.

WHAT DID I JUST SAY :argh:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Bimmi posted:

Old Snoopy is fine, but I much prefer bipedal, egocentric, delusional-yet-oddly-accomplished Snoopy. By far the more interesting character.

Peanuts wouldn't be the same without the World War I Flying Ace or Joe Cool or "It was a dark and stormy night."

Froggi

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/17/03

Brenda Starr 3/26/50

Smokey Stover 6/1/52

Everyday Movies 1/4/36

"I tell you, Moe, with everybody gettin' back to work our sales of snappy styles is goin' to the dogs."

(these are guys who buy and sell old clothes, and hence benefit from an economic turndown)

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 7/29 and 8/2-3/40

Mixed up a couple of strips, so the one above should have come before yesterday's. So as you'll recall, Scarlet gets lured away and kidnapped by Hershel's guys and taken out on a boat, and...

Bonus Ad! I admit, I've never thought of Kix as "food for action."

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Caphi posted:

Every time Ed and Mrs. Ed go to a restaurant they know he'll definitely hate. Why? You can go to a cheap white people food restaurant! There's thousands of them!

Same reason his wife drags him to ballet and other stuff he doesn't like. She's also an rear end in a top hat boomer.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 7/29 and 8/2-3/40

Mixed up a couple of strips, so the one above should have come before yesterday's. So as you'll recall, Scarlet gets lured away and kidnapped by Hershel's guys and taken out on a boat, and...

:allears: This comic is so wonderfully headass with its plots.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Solver 9: Boys Like Fun Part 1

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

Nero was first mentioned in Solver 7: Green Door...

and first "appeared" in Solver 8: The Urn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Some Guy TT posted:

A perky goth with a negative charisma score kind of beggers disbelief, especially considering that Dethany works most closely with Fi, whose main characteristic is that she openly hates nearly everyone.

:eng101: That's not Dethany (from on the Fasttrack), that's her supervisor's daughter.

Good Listener fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 18, 2023