Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Ups_rail posted:

can we trust those number?

No. Even if those are actually the official numbers, China only counts a death as a covid death under some very specific circumstances. For example, if you get covid, get pneumonia from the covid infection, then die, that's a death by pneumonia. Doesn't get categorized as covid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

My understanding is satellite photos show noticeably heightened activity at Chinese funeral homes and well then there’s things like this:

https://twitter.com/polijunkie_aus/status/1614517179315286018

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I m sorry but its late and reading this stuff just makes me wonder how a country can go from being the start of a pandemic to having a surge in deaths?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Ups_rail posted:

I m sorry but its late and reading this stuff just makes me wonder how a country can go from being the start of a pandemic to having a surge in deaths?

Pretty simple really. There are a bunch of factors at play here, not least of which is just the geographic size of China. Just because the disease originated in one pocket of China doesn't mean it suddenly existed in every corner.

More specifically though, I'd say China's draconian zero-covid policy actually worked for what it was. For three years, they did a pretty good job of identifying hot spots and keeping people under quarantine to mitigate the spread of the virus. Unfortunately, with new variants and lax enforcement, things rapidly spiraled out of control to the point that trying to contain it was impossible. And this is why we see them largely giving up in the last month.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Ups_rail posted:

Because once they stopped pretending covid doesn't exist, they contained it effectively. Original covid was pretty contagious but nowhere near as much as the current omicron-lineage types. With extreme enough measures it was possible to stop it. The leadership decided containing omicron was not feasible and just yolo'd it.

It is a mystery how it spread so much in China, nowhere else has seen an omicron wave anywhere near that scale before. China's not tracking or reporting data, but testing on people leaving China hasn't turned up any new variants yet at least.

No one knows what the death rate is. My guess is it would be relatively high from the combination of less effective vaccination, an older population, and poor health. Chain smoking five packs of cigs a day for 50 years probably doesn't bode well for getting covid.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

It is a mystery how it spread so much in China, nowhere else has seen an omicron wave anywhere near that scale before. China's not tracking or reporting data, but testing on people leaving China hasn't turned up any new variants yet at least.

It’s not that much of a mystery is it? It seems likely there’s a much more immune-naive population due to the combined effectiveness of the lockdowns and crapness of the vaccine campaign

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

DominoKitten posted:

My understanding is satellite photos show noticeably heightened activity at Chinese funeral homes and well then there’s things like this:

https://twitter.com/polijunkie_aus/status/1614517179315286018
I'd love more data points like this. Estimating country-wide underreporting by counting academic obituaries is pretty cool.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

hypnophant posted:

It’s not that much of a mystery is it? It seems likely there’s a much more immune-naive population due to the combined effectiveness of the lockdowns and crapness of the vaccine campaign

Sure, but I haven't seen anyone who thinks that's enough. Like most things I assume it's 20 factors coming together and there's no single explanation. There's just no good way to figure it out since there's no information.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
So how bad is it going to get after everyone's traveled home and back?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Rural areas are packed with those unvaccinated olds and don't have hospitals so... yeah. I don't even want to think about it. I hope it won't be as bad as I'm imagining.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
if grandma and grandpa die whose gonna not watch the grand kids?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

Rural areas are packed with those unvaccinated olds and don't have hospitals so... yeah. I don't even want to think about it. I hope it won't be as bad as I'm imagining.

Why contain it? 's cool

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Grand Fromage posted:

Sure, but I haven't seen anyone who thinks that's enough. Like most things I assume it's 20 factors coming together and there's no single explanation. There's just no good way to figure it out since there's no information.

It’s quite possibly the most contagious disease in human history if not the entire existence of Homo sapiens

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
here s cute video about 7 elevens in taiwan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKBY-MJFJ4A

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Grand Fromage posted:

you can plug most of the variables into one of the big epidemological projection models and get a reasonable ballpark for a range of best to least best scenarios which will cover the range of outcomes. I haven't done it personally because it's bleak as hell running it for even 100,000,000 covid cases, to say nothing of whatever multiple of that is the actual number of cases China has had over the last 6 weeks

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Finally Pangzai has merch

https://pangzais-store.creator-spring.com/

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Beijing University estimates over 900 million people in China have been infected with COVID-19.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
yowza

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Also, China's population dropped by 850,000 in 2022, which is the first drop since the Great Leap Forward.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Jesus christ :(

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Completely unrelated to the first story, I'm sure.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

This will surely solve the demographic problem

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
I always liked that statistic that there are more smokers in China than the population of the U.S.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Dandywalken posted:

Jesus christ :(

Those aren't covid deaths. Population stabilization/decline was the goal of the one child policy and it has finally for sure arrived.

It's likely China's been overcounting and the population has actually been in decline for a bit.

E: May be overstating to say that was the goal but it was the inevitable result if you're limiting people to below replacement rate births in a country that, for all practical purposes, doesn't allow immigration.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jan 17, 2023

guavo
Jan 3, 2007
I am quite practic at this onlane thing

I can't wait to be King poo poo

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Gotta wonder how India's handling the Covid problem, at this point.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

WarpedNaba posted:

Gotta wonder how India's handling the Covid problem, at this point.

Not particularly well. They have the same issue as China re: mis/underreporting cases due to doing what they can to classify a death as anything but COVID if they can get away with i t.

But they did introduce travel restrictions to people flying in from Japan, (and China, SK and Singapore). So they are doing something about it.

Also there is the more important issue that in Shah Rukh Khan's new movie Pathaan, to be released later in the year, he, a muslim, dances with a hindu woman wearing a saffron coloured dress. There are calls by both the government and opposition in Madhya Pradesh to ban the film, and protests across the country. Clearly this is of greater concern than some silly disease.
Also, it's cricket season and both Aus, and NZ are touring soon, and this also takes precedence over poor unvaxxed old people dying.

Pictured: the dress and dance in question.

BrigadierSensible fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jan 18, 2023

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

BrigadierSensible posted:

he, a muslim, dances with a hindu woman wearing a saffron coloured dress.

What's the significance of the dress color?

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

BrainDance posted:

What's the significance of the dress color?

Looks like the same color/material that Hindu monks wear, and I'm guessing that's intentional

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

saffron represents india and hinduism - the orange on the indian flag is actually saffron. having a saffron-clad woman embrace a muslim is a pretty potent political statement in a country with a large history of mutual division and persecution between the two dating from the umayyad invasion of india and subsequent persecution and suppression of the local hindu religions; through multiple riots in the 20th century set against rising hindu nationalism (acts of which are referred to as "saffron terror") the last of which was set off by a citizenship law change that very intentionally excluded muslim refugees from obtaining indian nationality; to the current day where large numbers of indian muslims live in effectively ethnic ghettos, such as mumbra where the population grew from a few tens of thousands to over a million people in response the anti-muslim bombay riots and bombings of the 90s.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

BrigadierSensible posted:

But they did introduce travel restrictions to people flying in from Japan, (and China, SK and Singapore). So they are doing something about it.
China, maybe, but the rest of these restrictions are pretty dumb. It’s knee-jerk politically-tinged nonsense.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
there is a specific manufactured culture war issue about muslim men and hindu women and alleged forced conversion by marriage

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

there is a specific manufactured culture war issue about muslim men and hindu women and alleged forced conversion by marriage

How could you raise this topic and not share the dumb name they gave it: love jihad

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Sounds like a garage band

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

WarpedNaba posted:

Sounds like a garage band

like... shihad???

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Grand Fromage posted:

China's not tracking or reporting data, but testing on people leaving China hasn't turned up any new variants yet at least.
I've been wanting to reply to his for a few days, but I was serving out a World Cup toxx.

I was certain that I read an article stating that Japan identified a new variant amongst the arrivals. I am thinking that article referenced it as called M.B.xxxx.
There are also a shed load of speculation on all the Falun media saying that there are several (7) new variants just in Beijing alone.
The story there is that it is a mutation of the delta variant rather than the omicron.
I'm very not up to speed on all the variants at this point. I thought XBB might be the lastest verion, but i could be 100
% wide of the mark

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

I wanna make a gitmo, orange jumpsuit, and muslim joke, but it would very likely earn me a ban, so I"m going to just leave the bad smell in the air.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Falun "media" is also saying there are 500 million deaths in China and it's being covered up. Don't waste your time reading that poo poo.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Falun Gong is probably on par with QAnon in craziness. It's just that the CCP is even worse so people feel sorry for them. But in the end they're still crazy people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

90s JRPG NPC voice: "I hear Shen Yun is in town!"