Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Zarin posted:

Appreciate the feedback! Went ahead and ordered a pair of 'em - I'm concerned that there are several ways I'm going to regret this (my wallet; making me finally see the difference between 60hz and high refresh, thereby ruining my office and WFH setup for me forever). Looking forward to it all the same, though!

There's a certain amount of irony in the fact that I used to be an enormous gamer but somehow my first foray into high refresh will be for spreadsheets and QuickBooks :v:

You’re not truly into working on a computer until you spend idle time moving your mouse around and chuckling at how smooth it look and how sharp the text looks on 4K

You’ll find your way back to games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

tehinternet posted:

You’re not truly into working on a computer until you spend idle time moving your mouse around and chuckling at how smooth it look and how sharp the text looks on 4K

You’ll find your way back to games

The best part about owning a high refresh rate monitor for sure, just seeing that pointer glide along

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Got a gpu failure and it's time to be dragged kicking and screaming into the next gen finally, I will probably grab a 4070Ti.

Which will be overkill for my 32" 1440p 60hz monitor , so I want to change it too but without going down on size and over 1000€, so looking at 32" 4k/34"ultrawide 3440x1440 or more and up to 144hz or so should be fine.

Seems like here I can get the Dell G3223Q for 700€ and Gigabyte M32U for around 850€

or an LG34GP950G-B for 750€ but at that point, there's a Gigabyte M34WQ for around 550€, probably a lesser option but the price is compelling. Is it so bad compared to the others? While I can spend more, not sure how worth it really is.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jan 14, 2023

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The M34WQ's biggest downside is that it's flat. I've never tried a flat ultrawide before, but i feel like it could be a little awkward to have the edges feel so far from you. I don't know, maybe it's not a big issue. Here's the comparison at RTINGS: https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tools/compare/lg-34gp950g-b-vs-gigabyte-m34wq/21824/29491?usage=3623&threshold=0.10

They seem like they have different pros and cons. The LG display has slightly faster response times, a more vibrant image when unclamped, and HDR 600 certification, though that last one barely matters since neither monitor has good HDR. The Gigabyte monitor comes with a better stand (the LG one seems bulky and awkward), and it has slightly better contrast and viewing angles. I think it's a tossup, but i'd favor the gigabyte one if you think you won't mind it being a flat ultrawide.

As for the 4K options, I'd go with the Dell. They're very closely matched according to the RTINGS reviews, so save yourself 150€ if you want to go 4K. The biggest upside to the Dell is that the factory calibration seems bang-on when using the sRGB mode. Though to be honest, I think I'd lean towards a 3440x1440 monitor here just because you'll get higher frame rates and your system will last you longer before you feel the urge to upgrade. 4K is still pretty hard to run.

(edit: That dell monitor is tied with the Apple Studio Display for the best factory calibration ever measured by RTINGS, lmao. why is it that good on a random gaming monitor?)

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jan 14, 2023

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The M34WQ's biggest downside is that it's flat. I've never tried a flat ultrawide before, but i feel like it could be a little awkward to have the edges feel so far from you. I don't know, maybe it's not a big issue. Here's the comparison at RTINGS: https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tools/compare/lg-34gp950g-b-vs-gigabyte-m34wq/21824/29491?usage=3623&threshold=0.10

They seem like they have different pros and cons. The LG display has slightly faster response times, a more vibrant image when unclamped, and HDR 600 certification, though that last one barely matters since neither monitor has good HDR. The Gigabyte monitor comes with a better stand (the LG one seems bulky and awkward), and it has slightly better contrast and viewing angles. I think it's a tossup, but i'd favor the gigabyte one if you think you won't mind it being a flat ultrawide.

As for the 4K options, I'd go with the Dell. They're very closely matched according to the RTINGS reviews, so save yourself 150€ if you want to go 4K. The biggest upside to the Dell is that the factory calibration seems bang-on when using the sRGB mode. Though to be honest, I think I'd lean towards a 3440x1440 monitor here just because you'll get higher frame rates and your system will last you longer before you feel the urge to upgrade. 4K is still pretty hard to run.

(edit: That dell monitor is tied with the Apple Studio Display for the best factory calibration ever measured by RTINGS, lmao. why is it that good on a random gaming monitor?)

Thanks, looks like they're all pretty similar and all good for my use; I don't play especially twitchy games usually so I don't mind if I get lower framerates, but I do play a lot of mapgames (insert joke about having bleeding edge pc and playing doom (1993) here) where the extra real estate would be reeeally nice. Of course I still play things like RDR2 or Cyberpunk and similar AAA games too, which might be taxing at 4k, but I guess that's what DLSS is for! I favor quality over super high fps anyway, and I come from a 1080 where I played at 1440p without issues even at 30-40fps for some things.

The Dell looks mighty attractive, I've checked out other shops and it's between 700 and 800€ so still cheaper than the Gigabyte which starts at 850 and only goes for more. And yeah it seems calibrated so good, love the idea of just plug and play :v:

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

$280 Samsung 32" Odyssey G5 (Costco)
1440p
165Hz
IPS
1MS

this is more than some of the other monitors I was looking at, but isn't this the one everyone likes?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I have a Dell U3415W, it's a curved 3440x1440 (UWQHD), 21:9.
I really like my higher-DPI displays but love the 21:9 aspect ratio.

Is there a 5120x2160 21:9 closer to 34"? I think that physical size is about perfect.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Hed posted:

Is there a 5120x2160 21:9 closer to 34"? I think that physical size is about perfect.

No but Delll has a 40" UW with that resolution

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

RodShaft posted:

$280 Samsung 32" Odyssey G5 (Costco)
1440p
165Hz
IPS
1MS

this is more than some of the other monitors I was looking at, but isn't this the one everyone likes?

The higher-numbered Odyssey monitors (G6, G7, G8, G9) are fairly popular, but not many people talk about the G5s and lower. There are also multiple monitors with each number, annoyingly. There are some real stinkers to avoid when it comes to the G5 and lower, but I think this particular one is fine? $280 is a reasonably good deal for a 32" 1440p IPS if that's what you're after.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
I personally wouldn't buy a Samsung product, they have unbelievably bad customer service. An absolute nightmare to deal with.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Thiiiiiiiiiiiis. Past a certain size if a monitor isn’t curved, it’s still curved, it’s just in the opposite direction. Hope you like fisheye lens!

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

The higher-numbered Odyssey monitors (G6, G7, G8, G9) are fairly popular, but not many people talk about the G5s and lower. There are also multiple monitors with each number, annoyingly. There are some real stinkers to avoid when it comes to the G5 and lower, but I think this particular one is fine? $280 is a reasonably good deal for a 32" 1440p IPS if that's what you're after.

I'll just wait for the monoprice one or best buy one to drop to $200 then. Thanks.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
there aren't any good reviews of the MSI G274QPF-QD out there yet are there? seems like it's only just come out but it seems like it could be pretty good value here

also, just how bad is the BGR subpixel stuff on the M27Q? opinions with that seem to be all over the place, some people say it's the worst thing ever and others say it's barely an issue at all?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Ammanas posted:

I personally wouldn't buy a Samsung product, they have unbelievably bad customer service. An absolute nightmare to deal with.

Also their G monitors have so so many bugs and issues. Especially the larger G9 models. If you buy one, I hope the buyer is extremely patient and tolerant of :samsung: issues.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
Don’t forget that Samsung’s UI is honest to god the worst that I’ve ever seen (at least on any of their TVs ) — I wouldn’t imagine that their monitors are much better but I could be wrong

tehinternet fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 15, 2023

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

TorakFade posted:

Thanks, looks like they're all pretty similar and all good for my use; I don't play especially twitchy games usually so I don't mind if I get lower framerates, but I do play a lot of mapgames (insert joke about having bleeding edge pc and playing doom (1993) here) where the extra real estate would be reeeally nice. Of course I still play things like RDR2 or Cyberpunk and similar AAA games too, which might be taxing at 4k, but I guess that's what DLSS is for! I favor quality over super high fps anyway, and I come from a 1080 where I played at 1440p without issues even at 30-40fps for some things.
I've got a M34WQ and have had both a flat and curved 34" ultrawide before this. It's not that big of a deal if you ask me although going from one to the other takes some adjustment no matter what. Obviously subjective but for myself the KVM built-in way outweighed the niceties of the AW3418DW that I had prior to it and the LG 34UM95P before that. But for desktop apps the AW3418DW's HDMI port being limited to 30 Hz really sucked and now that I've got higher refresh rates again for desktop usage again I'm realizing just how awkward lower refresh rates have been for me and it makes me reconsider using any TV as a monitor. Getting stuck between the gamer and professional market sucks but I guess that's programmers for you. It's probably better if one has the budget to have separate business productivity and gaming screens.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

tehinternet posted:

Don’t forget that Samsung’s UI is honest to god the worst that I’ve ever seen (at least on any of their TVs ) — I wouldn’t imagine that their monitors are much better but I could be wrong

The OSD on the Neo G7 is fine. It's just like any other monitor OSD.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

How often do you really look at the OSD? C'mon now. Its not like a smart TV.

My G5 has been good so far, debating turning off the HDR though as its just too bright for my rapidly deteriorating eyes.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

necrobobsledder posted:

I've got a M34WQ and have had both a flat and curved 34" ultrawide before this. It's not that big of a deal if you ask me although going from one to the other takes some adjustment no matter what. Obviously subjective but for myself the KVM built-in way outweighed the niceties of the AW3418DW that I had prior to it and the LG 34UM95P before that. But for desktop apps the AW3418DW's HDMI port being limited to 30 Hz really sucked and now that I've got higher refresh rates again for desktop usage again I'm realizing just how awkward lower refresh rates have been for me and it makes me reconsider using any TV as a monitor. Getting stuck between the gamer and professional market sucks but I guess that's programmers for you. It's probably better if one has the budget to have separate business productivity and gaming screens.

I have a KVM switch on my current monitor, and I used it exactly once: during setup when I was trying it out :v: I thought I'd hook up my work laptop to the main screen when working from home, but in the end it didn't quite work out that way and I realized the bolded part by myself.

Anyway I found the Dell G3223Q from the official website w/3 years warranty and replacement for even a single dead pixel, for less than 700€ so I went for it; that's almost 200€ less than the Gigabyte M32U. Just have to wait for them to produce it, I think the price was low because it's on back order and will take a month to arrive apparently. I'm not in a rush anyway so it works out :) Thanks for the help!

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

RodShaft posted:

I'll just wait for the monoprice one or best buy one to drop to $200 then. Thanks.

Well the HP x32 just dropped back to $230 and "open box excellent" was $210. So I grabbed one.

I promise only to use my super power for good.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I YOLO’d the Alienware OLED monitor after having some reservations about the text quality but it’s seriously amazing, and easy to overlook the flaws.

What’s the recommended brand for dual monitor arms that can support a 34” ultra wide and a 27” regular monitor side-by-side?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

My new LG 27" oled came, and first impression? Too dim, it's some auto dim feature I think. Second impression? I don't appreciate a tiny screw preventing access to the remotes battery comparment.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jan 17, 2023

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Please tell me it sucks rear end so I can move on and just buy a middling dell

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Tiny Timbs posted:

What’s the recommended brand for dual monitor arms that can support a 34” ultra wide and a 27” regular monitor side-by-side?

Dont overthink it. Grab whatever's the best deal on amazon, check reviews to ensure it'll handle that size combination which may be your biggest hangup.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Tiny Timbs posted:

I YOLO’d the Alienware OLED monitor after having some reservations about the text quality but it’s seriously amazing, and easy to overlook the flaws.

I would just get two monitor arms. Dual-arm stands can be a bit clumsy to use, especially when one of the monitors is an ultrawide.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Tiny Timbs posted:

This one works great with my Alienware 34" OLED: Loctek Monitor Arm Fits for 10-27... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SSMHB4U?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

It's very well built. I snipped off the audio and USB cables. I agree with the above poster to just get two different mounts

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Duck and Cover posted:

My new LG 27" oled came, and first impression? Too dim, it's some auto dim feature I think. Second impression? I don't appreciate a tiny screw preventing access to the remotes battery comparment.

Lol. the display turns warm at night, what a dumb thing for displays to do (yes I know some people like it). The menus to turn these features off can't be accessed by the single button on the display.

On the plus side I've noticed 0 dead/stuck pixels so that's good.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jan 18, 2023

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I like the Amazon Basics dual monitor arm that was recommended earlier in the thread a lot. I don't know how it would handle an ultrawide but it holds my two 31.5 inch monitors very well.

Two single arms would give you the most options.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

So my x32 is coming today. Is there some test or something I should do to test for dead or stuck pixels or other common problems?

And is http://tft.vanity.dk/ still the best free option for calibration?

This is the first new monitor I've bought in 20 years so forgive if these are stupid questions.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

RodShaft posted:

So my x32 is coming today. Is there some test or something I should do to test for dead or stuck pixels or other common problems?

And is http://tft.vanity.dk/ still the best free option for calibration?

This is the first new monitor I've bought in 20 years so forgive if these are stupid questions.

I'm curious to hear your impressions of it. I've been happy with mine so far.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'm curious to hear your impressions of it. I've been happy with mine so far.

It took more to hook it up than I had expected. Mostly because I have 2 PCs and a Series X to feed into it and it only has 2 inputs. I had to test random hdmi switches and cables till I found a combo that would let me have 1440p 120Hz on both HDMI sources. So for me another input would have made a big difference.

Then I fired up Fortnite on the series x to test it and the difference between it and my 10yo 1080p 60Hz LCD TV I had been using was jaw dropping. Just absolutely gorgeous. I probably spent 5 minutes looking at the skybox. This was in 60hz mode so the ray traced lighting and higher detail. I popped it up to 120Hz mode and it didn't really feel smoother to me, and the performance lighting was really noticeable. I did play WAY better than usual.

Overall I love it Now that the hookup phase is mostly behind me, I couldn't be happier. No light bleed or dead/stuck pixels that I noticed. I still need to do the calibration, but yeah I was stunned.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

We needed a workstation at work here to drive a 4 monitor setup. Ordered one, product image showed the video card having 4 outputs, when it arrived it had 3. Of course the onboard output doesn't work with the video card active, nor USB C for the same reason I guess. Are there any solutions here that aren't readily coming to mind? Of course the monitors I ordered are all HDMI/VGA so I cant daisy chain.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

codo27 posted:

We needed a workstation at work here to drive a 4 monitor setup. Ordered one, product image showed the video card having 4 outputs, when it arrived it had 3. Of course the onboard output doesn't work with the video card active, nor USB C for the same reason I guess. Are there any solutions here that aren't readily coming to mind? Of course the monitors I ordered are all HDMI/VGA so I cant daisy chain.

Have you checked the BIOS if it's possible to enable the onboard GPU with dedicated?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

codo27 posted:

Does the workstation support DisplayLink? To an extent, I guess the first question is really "does the workstation run Windows?" If it does support DisplayLink then you'd just need a USB to HDMI cable or adapter.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Though the USB 3 era models are substantially better than the original USB 2 models, I'd still consider DisplayLink to be an absolute last resort. It's still worse performing and less reliable than anything connected to an internal bus.

If there is an iGPU present I'd make all reasonable efforts to use that before even considering DisplayLink.

Or just return the card that was clearly not what you ordered and get the one you actually need.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

RodShaft posted:

Overall I love it Now that the hookup phase is mostly behind me, I couldn't be happier. No light bleed or dead/stuck pixels that I noticed. I still need to do the calibration, but yeah I was stunned.

Well my 10yo is unimpressed with it and doesn't think it looks any different than the decade old LCD TV.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

RodShaft posted:

Well my 10yo is unimpressed with it and doesn't think it looks any different than the decade old LCD TV.

LOL

I was dubious about going to 1440p at 32" but now I feel like this is my default. I swear I have fewer headaches and less eyestrain compared to my 27" 1440p monitor, and the x32 performs at least as well in games.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

CaptainSarcastic posted:

LOL

I was dubious about going to 1440p at 32" but now I feel like this is my default. I swear I have fewer headaches and less eyestrain compared to my 27" 1440p monitor, and the x32 performs at least as well in games.

I love it. It's the child that needs his eyes checked.

Do I need to run milkdrop or something on it?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

RodShaft posted:

Kids are schmucks who watch everything on their drat phones like insane people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i bought a 32" 1440p and i just sit a bit farther out now when using the desktop (because it has a much less bulky stand than my ancient 30" 2560x1600 :rip: so i can push it closer to the wall) and it's mostly the same, but i can't say i appreciate the loss of vertical pixels

it's feels bigger when watching stuff over the room from bed tho