Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

gariig posted:

This stuck out to me

If that's really 10mbps of bandwidth you'll only get 1 stream at a time. I have to imagine that's how you don't run a production service on the free tier and need to pay Oracle

Does Oracle require that you use a Flexible Load Balancer to access your instances?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

gariig posted:

I'd be worried about getting the feds called on you for :filez:. Also, go look at the size of your files and figure out how many plays you'll get with 200gb. You are looking at ~20 movies before you run out of bandwidth. Also, like someone else said commercial cloud bandwidth gets :homebrew: super quickly. You can look into seedboxes which I'm not going to link to because :filez: but that might be better solution to pay someone to host. Once again it's still not going to be cheap because of bandwidth costs. If everyone is using your Plex server regularly I'd estimate 500gb per user. This is a case where Tautulli would be useful.

EDIT: For how many users it comes down to if you need to transcode or not. If most of your stuff is in h264 and all of your users request to "direct play" (just play the file with no transcode) you could get away with not much. Serving files is cheap. However, if you start having h265 content and people want h264 it can take a very beefy server to handle that if everyone needs to transcode. I think people get around this by splitting libraries between h264 and h265 plus 1080p and 4k so clients can get what will direct play instead of needing transcoding. ALSO, you need all of the clients to set their clients to Direct Play instead of wanting 720p 4 megabits.

Thanks so much for the detailed post, helps a ton!

Is transcoding only for when people are watching on their phone or some other odd device?

Thanks for all the help, got lots to learn here.

Has anyone done a seedbox setup like Rapidseedbox where it comes with a Plex server built in? This sounds like the better alternative if I wanted the cloud route.

Oysters Autobio fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jan 13, 2023

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Oysters Autobio posted:

Is transcoding only for when people are watching on their phone or some other odd device?

Annoyingly, Plex defaults to capping the outgoing data rate to a very low amount (2 megabits/sec at 720p). If your files are above this quality (and they almost certainly will be if they don't look like rear end) the server will transcode the video going to them. If your files are the right format and you get everyone to reconfigure their Plex so the data limit is higher/unlimited, odds are good no one will need to transcode and you can play to a shitload of people at once no problem.

The right format is as follows:

- Video container is MP4 or MKV
- Video is at most 1080p60fps
- Video is encoded using H264/x264 with a Level of 4.0 or 4.1, with 8-bit SDR colors
- Audio is AAC-LC or AC3/EAC3
- Any optional subtitles are in SRT format

In :filez: terms, most non-4K WEB-DL releases conform to the above.

Formats other than this might still direct play, but it varies a lot between playback devices.

univbee fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jan 13, 2023

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

CopperHound posted:

All this talk makes it sound easier to just hang a usb3 jbod enclosure off of an ultra small form factor PC.

Hi, this is my setup!

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

astral posted:

Does Oracle require that you use a Flexible Load Balancer to access your instances?

I couldn't find it, maybe not... I know EC2 instances get a public IP so Oracle ones might so I could be wrong. I'm too lazy to signup and throw Apache or Express on there to see if I can get to a HTTP endpoint. However, 200gb is nothing so it's basically a non-starter for this application. The Rapidseedbox looks goood for using :yayclod:. Public clouds really get you on the bandwidth so unlimited is great.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
If you really want to host Plex in the cloud, most places that offer seedboxes will rent you run a plex instance.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

You can't host plex in the cloud.
Do not try to host plex in the cloud.

Linux ISO's are very easy to identify via fingerprinting on a cloud service and as soon as they locate the first one you will be hell-banned from the service at a minimum. It's not worth it to a cloud provider to be seen liable for hosting and distributing linux and they will ban you and report it to any local authority if they're hosted in a jurisdiction where they have to. Since your potential access list is "anyone with an internet connection" this rapidly becomes felony distribution in some territories. Back when plex played around with using google drive / AWS a whole lotta people had their Amazon / Google accounts permanently locked.

You can't host plex in the cloud.
Do not try to host plex in the cloud.

You can buy a used celeron based PC for under $150 that will hardware encode 20-streams, meaning most NAS solutions are also poor for this. Just search celeron model numbers on ebay and you'll find people clearing out old dell machines for almost nothing.
i.e. - https://www.ebay.com/itm/1755721948...ABk9SR9Kaxtm1YQ

Or about $350 for something more recent
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1955165072...ABk9SR5zt5Nm1YQ

The difference in QS quality really shouldn't be an issue, it's just to stop a couple of transcodes choking your box out. You can tell them to direct-play when convenient.

e: using seedboxes for this may well stop you running into any hot water, but it's still completely unnecessary and the amount of data you want to ingest and store will cost more than it's worth.

Khablam fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 14, 2023

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Khablam posted:

Linux ISO's are very easy to identify via fingerprinting on a cloud service and as soon as they locate the first one you will be hell-banned from the service at a minimum. It's not worth it to a cloud provider to be seen liable for hosting and distributing linux and they will ban you and report it to any local authority if they're hosted in a jurisdiction where they have to.

I feel like this isn't what you meant to say. Linux ISOs are completely legal to distribute (well, most of them) and also are not something a Plex server even offers up.

Maybe what you meant is "streaming copyrighted video is very easy to indentify"?

e: vvv I'll throw in and agree with the sentiment too, though. Don't run Plex on a cloud.

cruft fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 14, 2023

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Regardless of intent of the statement you shouldn't have plex in the cloud. Full stop. It's a really bad idea.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

cruft posted:

I feel like this isn't what you meant to say. Linux ISOs are completely legal

Congratulations, you figured out the secret code! At least I think you did. Or you're really really close.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Nobody's using Plex for copyrighted media anyway, it's a legitimate home video distribution system

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Motronic posted:

Congratulations, you figured out the secret code! At least I think you did. Or you're really really close.

Oh! :cripes:

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

Khablam posted:

e: using seedboxes for this may well stop you running into any hot water, but it's still completely unnecessary and the amount of data you want to ingest and store will cost more than it's worth.

well to be fair, its not completely unnecessary if looking at it from an :effort: perspective. I mean, I'd gladly trade some more software config and fuckery than having to deal with hardware. I just hate hardware and having to figure out where to put it, doing cable management, searching for and comparing specs, ordering it yadda yadda yadda. Some people love plug and play, but I would trade hours of console/terminal fuckery but no hardware :shrug:

Yeah I know its stupid but I just hate it. If streaming gaming was actually legit or at a point of being viable I never would've built a PC.

So yeah I'm looking at Rapidseedbox or a similar service because at least with rental I can decide if this is actually something I wanna invest more time/effort into. If it proves unviable/more expensive and I'm still really into i'll upgrade.

What I might actually do is use it to play with Plex just working it for myself, getting the hang of hosting/managing it, and then if I really want to expand it to friends then I can look at hardware and stuff.

Appreciate the suggestions on used PCs though, I like the idea of that instead of a purpose built NAS.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i'm guessing this has been gone through a few times but i didn't see anything in the last few pages, so here goes.

i'm just rebuilding my nas, a synology ds920+. it has plex media server on it, and i've already updated it to the latest version.

are there things i should do or settings i should change within plex media server to optimize it for home-use? for now, i'm only streaming files over my local network from the nas to two apple tv connected to two of my tv. are there any quality settings i need to worry about? do i need to upgrade to the plexpass thing? anything i should take care of? i really don't care about live tv or anything like that. i'm just wanting to stream files on my nas to those two tv. it's possible that i'll want to stream these files to outside devices later on, but right now, i do not care.

e: i guess one thing i can think of now that i want to ensure no matter the device is this: i want all of my videos to play at 23.96fps. i have yet to see any video quality settings really, so i haven't seen anything about this. is there a way to force this? would i need to do this on the appletv or tv themselves?

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jan 17, 2023

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Pretty sure it has to be on the client. I just turn on the match frame rate setting on my apple tv.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Hosting a internet exposed DNS server to own the libs.

I should look into one of those Dell boxes at some point. My Synology does just fine for what I need but it would be nice to migrate everything off of it and let it just serve files. Though at that point I may as well go for a proper hypervisor and go whole hog.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I can't seem to get my plex DVR (HDHomerun Tuner) to recognize that it should record the new night court. It shows the little "record" icon in the guide, but nothing recorded today, and it says "No upcoming airings" even though If I skip ahead in the guide it shows the recording icon on the next episode.

I thought maybe there was a conflict with the old series, but no change after I renamed everything there "Night Court (1984)". Very annoying!

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

abelwingnut posted:

i'm guessing this has been gone through a few times but i didn't see anything in the last few pages, so here goes.

i'm just rebuilding my nas, a synology ds920+. it has plex media server on it, and i've already updated it to the latest version.

are there things i should do or settings i should change within plex media server to optimize it for home-use? for now, i'm only streaming files over my local network from the nas to two apple tv connected to two of my tv. are there any quality settings i need to worry about? do i need to upgrade to the plexpass thing? anything i should take care of? i really don't care about live tv or anything like that. i'm just wanting to stream files on my nas to those two tv. it's possible that i'll want to stream these files to outside devices later on, but right now, i do not care.

e: i guess one thing i can think of now that i want to ensure no matter the device is this: i want all of my videos to play at 23.96fps. i have yet to see any video quality settings really, so i haven't seen anything about this. is there a way to force this? would i need to do this on the appletv or tv themselves?

You can review Plex Pass's features here. I think most AV nerds use the following Plex pass features the most:

-Hardware Transcoding
-Intro/Credits Skipping
-HDR Tone Mapping w/ Transcodes
-Access to Plex Dash/Music/other ancillary apps/services
-Offline Downloads
-Multiple Editions (movies with normal/directors/unrated cuts are consolidated within library)

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Corb3t posted:

You can review Plex Pass's features here. I think most AV nerds use the following Plex pass features the most:

-Hardware Transcoding
-Intro/Credits Skipping
-HDR Tone Mapping w/ Transcodes
-Access to Plex Dash/Music/other ancillary apps/services
-Offline Downloads
-Multiple Editions (movies with normal/directors/unrated cuts are consolidated within library)

I think this is accurate, the only other thing I'd add is that, for parents, the ability to set up user profiles for your kids with content filters is pretty great.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

gotcha--thanks.

does transcoding happen if i'm viewing my files on a tv or computer within my wired, home network? if i'm outside my home network and trying to access the files on my plex remotely, then yea, i'm pretty sure transcoding matters. but within my network, i don't think there's any transcoding, right?

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

abelwingnut posted:

gotcha--thanks.

does transcoding happen if i'm viewing my files on a tv or computer within my wired, home network? if i'm outside my home network and trying to access the files on my plex remotely, then yea, i'm pretty sure transcoding matters. but within my network, i don't think there's any transcoding, right?
my apple tv 4k won't even play most hdr directly, so it depends on your device

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

kliras posted:

This never happens to me with my apple tv 4k and H265 Remuxes.

My biggest issue with Plex on AppleTV is bad lossless/atmos audio support.

abelwingnut posted:

gotcha--thanks.

Depends on if your media player supports the video container.

lovely smart TV? Probably going to require a transcode.
Older Roku or Fire TV? Maybe.
Newer Roku, AppleTV, Google TV, or Fire TV? You'll probably be fine.
PS5? Yikes...

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jan 18, 2023

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Plex Megathread

VostokProgram posted:

No copyrighted media it's a legitimate home video distribution system

No, copyrighted media, it's a legitimate home video distribution system!

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

Corb3t posted:

Is this recent? well, like in the last few years I guess.

I have plex pass, but I don't remember this being a thing. Does it work well?

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

emocrat posted:

Is this recent? well, like in the last few years I guess.

I have plex pass, but I don't remember this being a thing. Does it work well?

Yeah, IIRC it was added later last year
https://support.plex.tv/articles/multiple-editions/

It works fine, I do kind of wish that the different editions didn't still show up separately in the library and instead were just an option from a single library entry. And that the UI elements made it more obvious as to which edition you're watching or indicating when there are more editions available.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

kliras posted:

Corb3t posted:

This never happens to me with my apple tv 4k and H265 Remuxes.

My biggest issue with Plex on AppleTV is bad lossless/atmos audio support.

Depends on if your media player supports the video container.

lovely smart TV? Probably going to require a transcode.
Older Roku or Fire TV? Maybe.
Newer Roku, AppleTV, Google TV, or Fire TV? You'll probably be fine.
PS5? Yikes...

hmm. i haven't tried playing a 4k uhd file via plex yet. 1080p works fine, at least.

for what it's worth, i'm using plex on my 4k apple tv. it puts out signal to samsung's 2022 the frame. so far, so good, but, again, haven't tried 4k uhd.

so if i try a 4k uhd file, and it fails, i need to transcode it. is that something i do per file?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

4k HDR works fine for me on my AppleTV but only when I switched to Infuse which is paid. The official Plex client had all kinds of audio sync problems for me.

I have to say, I really like infuse. For me the lossless audio thing doesn't matter as I'm only running a 2.0 system (once I'm out of an apartment it'll be 2.1, stereo rules). It transcodes TrueHD to PCM just fine and idgaf about Atmos metadata.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
apple not breaking down their 4k models into named subversions makes it a royal pain to troubleshoot stuff. i'm on a gen 1

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

kliras posted:

apple not breaking down their 4k models into named subversions makes it a royal pain to troubleshoot stuff. i'm on a gen 1

Same here. Still waiting for a significant upgrade to justify buying a new one.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
The Gen 2 AppleTV 4K has gladly played my 4K HDR Plex libraries locally over my wifi but the Gen 1 4K model had real trouble. I assume the current 3rd Gen 4K model would handle it just as easily as the 2nd Gen.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I swear Plex app compatibility for the Apple TV has just gotten worse over the last year. Very rarely would I have issues with either Blu-ray or UHD remux files but now they both can have stutter issues, most likely due to audio codecs or encoding levels. I don’t want to use Infuse because I don’t like it as much, but if I want to watch things at the best quality I’m forced to.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

alright, just tried a 4k uhd file and it crashed the plex app on my appletv. i bought the appletv from an apple store like a month ago so i'm guessing it's the latest version, which is gen 3 per the post above.

so infuse is a plex alternative, i see? may give that a shot if there's no workaround for the 4k thing. would rather not transcode if possible.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

abelwingnut posted:

alright, just tried a 4k uhd file and it crashed the plex app on my appletv. i bought the appletv from an apple store like a month ago so i'm guessing it's the latest version, which is gen 3 per the post above.

so infuse is a plex alternative, i see? may give that a shot if there's no workaround for the 4k thing. would rather not transcode if possible.

That's really unsual. Did you rip the file yourself? Is it an mp4? mkv? Infuse might be worth trying, but I'd also try a few more 4K HDR files.

I use Infuse, too, but it makes me miss all the smart collections I created for network TV and movie companies/directors. It's the one thing I miss when I use Jellyfin, too:

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i see. i don't have enough content to use any sort of smart playlists like that, so maybe infuse is the simple solution i need after all. let me give it a shot.

infuse's site suggests this reads videos off of plex's media server. that's...odd. figured it'd have its own thing.

welp, gonna give this a whirl then. thanks for mentioning!

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

hmm, looks like infuse connects to plex through the web portal. does that mean it would route and stream things through the web and not over my home network?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think that's just an authorization phase, it doesn't actually stream the video that way.

I wish Plex would just buy them and incorporate their tech, because their system works the way Plex is just supposed to.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

abelwingnut posted:

hmm, looks like infuse connects to plex through the web portal. does that mean it would route and stream things through the web and not over my home network?

Did you know that you can't stream your Plex library locally if your Internet is down due to the way user accounts work? It's definitely one of my biggest Plex criticisms.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Corb3t posted:

Did you know that you can't stream your Plex library locally if your Internet is down? It's definitely one of my biggest Plex criticisms.

ha, what? i did not know that. that's...kind of insane?

EL BROMANCE posted:

I think that's just an authorization phase, it doesn't actually stream the video that way.

I wish Plex would just buy them and incorporate their tech, because their system works the way Plex is just supposed to.

ok, that's good to know at least.

i went ahead and configured infuse to scan my two video folders directly and load whatever it finds into my library, thereby bypassing plex. working out well so far. it's already found a number of files i forgot about. i guess plex didn't import them for whatever reason. file type issues i'm assuming.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Corb3t posted:

Did you know that you can't stream your Plex library locally if your Internet is down due to the way user accounts work? It's definitely one of my biggest Plex criticisms.

I can. I have incredibly flaky Internet access, and have to do this all the time. I have to log in through the main account, but I can get to my local server just fine.

Incidentally, how's Jellyfin these days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

cruft posted:

I can. I have incredibly flaky Internet access, and have to do this all the time. I have to log in through the main account, but I can get to my local server just fine.

You've probably done the necessary steps to enable this - https://www.howtogeek.com/303282/how-to-use-plex-media-server-without-internet-access/

Important to do it *before* internet connection is lost, too late if it drops and it's not in place.