Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
rip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M31
Jun 12, 2012
Manga author must be very high on the list of dangerous occupations

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
man, i hope it's not a welcome to the ballroom situation

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

maybe the mangaka is actually the scanlator’s mom

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
lol

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ninjoatse.cx posted:

The thread I check the most in ADTRW :smith:

Have their ever been indefinite hiatuses that ended? Maybe berserk or something. man :(

Soloist in a Cage vanished for over a year, returned, and came to a satisfying conclusion.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

MizuZero posted:

:haw:

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

MizuZero posted:

lol

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
Chapter 107, last one for now
https://mangadex.org/chapter/bff70115-54ea-4c71-b271-d7e47a38e542

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Holy poo poo what a nice surprise, thought we weren't getting anything already.

Holy poo poo what a cliffhanger to leave on.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RuBisCO posted:

Holy poo poo what a nice surprise, thought we weren't getting anything already.

Holy poo poo what a cliffhanger to leave on.

Yeah, that's definitely a place to stop.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Quite a chapter to take a break on!

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

And then Frieren was stuck in a perfect timeloop forever. Thend.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

The Frieren equivalent of the One Piece Enel face for real

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

bragging

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

That's one heck of a swerve :stare:

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
That's cool 'n all, but I want more Stark and Fern

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

I have so many questions.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Oh, we got another chapter.

...yeah that's a lot better way to start a hiatus.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Wait, now I'm kinda confused, is the hiatus because he's doing a prequel manga first or what?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Patware posted:

bragging

I don't get it

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

I don't get it

Kino is a German term for a movie theater or movies in general. In more recent years, it's become a term of approval for something displaying cinematic qualities, or just a fictional work of exceptional quality.

I have a theory as to the etymology here, but it's not researched enough to be worth discussing.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jan 18, 2023

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rubellavator posted:

at least it wasn't a cliffhanger

Welp.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
kino is what you say when you want to say based but you would like some attention and praise for being intellectual on the side.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Larry Parrish posted:

kino is what you say when you want to say based but you would like some attention and praise for being intellectual on the side.

Every single person I have seen call something kino has been the exact same type of internet poisoned to call something based. I don’t think they’re trying to be intellectuals

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

nah based is a good word if you know how to use it

never saw anyone say kino unironically that wasn't totally fuckin off base about what things are good though

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

thetoughestbean posted:

Every single person I have seen call something kino has been the exact same type of internet poisoned to call something based. I don’t think they’re trying to be intellectuals

'internet poisoned'? what are you, 40? it's a pretty common word lmfao. has been for like what, 15 years?

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

chiasaur11 posted:

I have a theory as to the entomology here, but it's not researched enough to be worth discussing.

what's it got to do with insects, share your thesis

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Larry Parrish posted:

'internet poisoned'? what are you, 40? it's a pretty common word lmfao. has been for like what, 15 years?

I’m 27. I only ever see it used by people talking about their favorite cheesy moments from B-movie style fiction

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

this individual illegally registered for something awful dot com before they was 18

i like how the definition for 'internet poisoned' has become 'appreciates corny poo poo'

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I've heard 'keen' from somewhere but I can't think of what. Thanks, for teaching me a new word, everyone

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Patware posted:

this individual illegally registered for something awful dot com before they was 18

i like how the definition for 'internet poisoned' has become 'appreciates corny poo poo'

I’m a criminal…

There’s a big overlap of internet poisoning and love of camp. I should know, I’m right at that intersection

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Mordja posted:

Wait, now I'm kinda confused, is the hiatus because he's doing a prequel manga first or what?

I get that impression, but I also don't like that I get that impression because if there was one thing I wanted from this manga "what were the exact details of the Hero's Journey" isn't it. In fact, I liked that we only ever get small glimpses of it that Frieren thinks remind her of whatever she's doing in the moment. Seeing her perspective on life after it is the interesting part of the story, so seeing it in the moment is just unncessary.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yeah its a little memory/time magic fuckery for an arc. Maybe well get a bit more info on the overarching storyline this time around?
Question is who did it, because it certainly isnt a demon what with the scripture reference.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Yeah its a little memory/time magic fuckery for an arc. Maybe well get a bit more info on the overarching storyline this time around?
Question is who did it, because it certainly isnt a demon what with the scripture reference.

Going by the normal way that time travel plots resolve and the fact that Frienen noted her memories of the last visit to the momument had blurred so that she had trouble remembering them, it's probably Frieren herself who inscribed that message and broke the momument.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

tsob posted:

Going by the normal way that time travel plots resolve and the fact that Frienen noted her memories of the last visit to the momument had blurred so that she had trouble remembering them, it's probably Frieren herself who inscribed that message and broke the momument.

Yeah I'm guessing it'll only be a few chapters of the past

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The next chapter will start with "It has been 31 years since Frieren fell into an insensate torpor while trying to decipher the monument".

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I thought "kino" was the term PUAs used to describe how good they are at creeping out women

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

CharlestonJew posted:

I thought "kino" was the term PUAs used to describe how good they are at creeping out women

What

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

tsob posted:

Yeah, nicely spotted. The amnesia basically ensures it's a stable time loop and that the whole story will happen near the monument. I wouldn't be surprised if it's all the work of present-Frieren in the past to ensure things will go as they happen once she finishes her reunion with her old party and goes back to present.

So it's probably "just" incredibly bittersweet meeting instead of a setup for the prequel.