Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Fyi: The horrible youtube performance a few weeks ago was probably caused by the youtube js trying to reload the animated thumbs up icon hundreds of thousands of times if it was blocked by an extension

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

isndl posted:

For me, the URL bar is for URLs. If I'm typing up there it's because I know where I want to go, and I don't want to end up on a search page with random garbage in my search history because I made a typo.

Check my post history in this thread, a while back I posted some settings that force exactly that behavior.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

nielsm posted:

Check my post history in this thread, a while back I posted some settings that force exactly that behavior.

I already have the exact behavior I want by splitting the search bar away from the URL bar, no about :config tweaking necessary. :shrug:

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Interesting. Never thought of it that way. I'm interested to give split bars a try. Luckily, the transition is easier because Firefox has, like CTRL+L for the URL bar, CTRL+K for search.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I imagine this isn't Firefox-specific but I have a dark theme on gmail.com and chat.google.com, but the chat windows in the embedded "app" on gmail.com still have a white background. Is there any way to change this short of using Dark Reader (which I'd prefer not to for google domains at least, otherwise it's great)?

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
as a dev sometimes it's necessary to split bar bc u type "localhost" or "butts.poop" in the url and it searches for it instead of grabbing the port 80/443

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Anyone know how to make it so that Firefox's search shortcuts only activate after I press tab? eg: If I type "you suck", I want to search Google for the phrase "you suck", but if I type "you <tab> suck", I want to search Youtube for "suck". But right now, the word "you" will always do a Youtube search, while pressing tab seems to search through my open tabs.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Argue posted:

Anyone know how to make it so that Firefox's search shortcuts only activate after I press tab? eg: If I type "you suck", I want to search Google for the phrase "you suck", but if I type "you <tab> suck", I want to search Youtube for "suck". But right now, the word "you" will always do a Youtube search, while pressing tab seems to search through my open tabs.

I use split address bar and search box, and my search box searches the engine chosen, while in the address bar I can type a keyword (like yt for YouTube, wp for Wikipedia, and others I've set up), press space, and then type my search query for that site.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Argue posted:

Simple solution, why does the search keyword need to be a word. On Vivaldi "y suck" does a Yahoo search. I doubt you would have a need to Google search single letters.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Saukkis posted:

Simple solution, why does the search keyword need to be a word. On Vivaldi "y suck" does a Yahoo search. I doubt you would have a need to Google search single letters.

Yeah, I do 1 & 2 letter abbreviations.
g google
gi google images
bi bing images
yt youtube
etc etc

Alternately, if you really like the search shortcuts you have now, a thing you could do is use some punctuation on the normal search. IE do .you suck (google and other engines ignore the dot) or "you suck" (searches for the whole phrase, quotes are great for accurate results).

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Waifu Radia posted:

as a dev sometimes it's necessary to split bar bc u type "localhost" or "butts.poop" in the url and it searches for it instead of grabbing the port 80/443

unified /should/ let you choose from "go to" and "search for" for hostnames that don't match the PSL or whatever. i use it fine with private names

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Just type in: ?you suck

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

DuckDuckGo and a few of the other smaller search engines have some similar tokens - a !g anywhere takes your search to google and !gi to google image search, for instance. Maybe use those instead of inventing your own, in case you ever find yourself using a search engine that has them?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

nielsm posted:

I use split address bar and search box, and my search box searches the engine chosen, while in the address bar I can type a keyword (like yt for YouTube, wp for Wikipedia, and others I've set up), press space, and then type my search query for that site.

Yeah, having a dedicated search box is worth it just for being able to choose which search engine I use.

Sometimes I want to use the local iteration of google rather than the default American one.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

does anyone know how to use a wildcard in ublock origin filters? my outlook webmail has these annoying banners whenever I get an email from a different domain that say "report as suspicious"

they all look like this, where the asterisk is some random letter/number string. but this filter isn't working for me.

code:
outlook.office.com###x_pfptBanner*

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Is there a way to force links that open in a new tab to open in the current tab? Like an anti-middle-click?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

You can set browser.link.open_newwindow to 1 to force all links to open in the same tab (unless you explicitly force it to a new tab)?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Computer viking posted:

You can set browser.link.open_newwindow to 1 to force all links to open in the same tab (unless you explicitly force it to a new tab)?

That works, thanks!

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

actionjackson posted:

does anyone know how to use a wildcard in ublock origin filters? my outlook webmail has these annoying banners whenever I get an email from a different domain that say "report as suspicious"

they all look like this, where the asterisk is some random letter/number string. but this filter isn't working for me.

code:
outlook.office.com###x_pfptBanner*

This should do the trick:
code:
outlook.office.com###[id^="x_pfptBanner"]
uBlock element filters follow CSS selector rules, and there is no wildcard support in those. However you can sort of work around the problem with the above selector, matching elements with an id attribute that starts with "x_pfptBanner".

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Does anyone know if it's possible to make Firefox block/wipe all cookies (including first-party), except inside container tabs? I could use Private Mode, but I still want to keep local history, forms, downloads, etc.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

NihilCredo posted:

Does anyone know if it's possible to make Firefox block/wipe all cookies (including first-party), except inside container tabs? I could use Private Mode, but I still want to keep local history, forms, downloads, etc.

The Cookie Auto-Delete extension supports containers and could do this.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Is there a recommended extension for casing a tab to a chromecast like Chrome has?

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
I guess this is just another lesson learned into waiting on the inevitable dot release of Firefox. Always dot release guys.

But I digress... I wanted to take advantage of my short little day off today and so I updated, anyways, I dunno if this is a bug or not, but wanted to ask here if others that are also on 109 (should be live tomorrow for can be grabbed now from their servers) are seeing this behavior too.

Every time I close Firefox one of these little "cache2.XXXXXX..." files gets created in the ProgramData Mozilla folder, but they don't seem to you know, be purging, so there's going to be like 100 of them in no time. I'm guessing this shouldn't be happening?

I'd post and ask this on reddit but you know, shadowbanned.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Oh God, did Firefox also seriously just break this perfectly working site... I am now just noticing other little weird glitches like this box doesn't actually do anything now, and the tag [ timg ] [ /timg ], don't show up in posts... Probably other stuff too, but its only been a hot minute.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Im_Special posted:

But I digress... I wanted to take advantage of my short little day off today and so I updated, anyways, I dunno if this is a bug or not, but wanted to ask here if others that are also on 109 (should be live tomorrow for can be grabbed now from their servers) are seeing this behavior too.

I'm not.

Im_Special posted:

Oh God, did Firefox also seriously just break this perfectly working site... I am now just noticing other little weird glitches like this box doesn't actually do anything now, and the tag [ timg ] [ /timg ], don't show up in posts... Probably other stuff too, but its only been a hot minute.

I'm not sure what's broken? I see the image just fine.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

They posted in the technical issues thread. It turned out to be an addon.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Yeah, to the second part, it was caused by one my addons, the one called "LocalCDN", and it seemed to be this HTML filtering check that did it.

So if you happen to use this addon, come tomorrow's update (or whenever you choose to update, slacker!), you're probably in for a bad time. But heads up anyway.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Nalin posted:

I'm not.

Okay well I was able to pinpoint this little fucker down to this pref here; privacy.sanitize.sanitizeOnShutdown

a.k.a

If you have that enabled or set to "true", you're going to get this issue...

Would love someone to test this theory of mine to see if it is indeed the cause, but please for the love of God don't do it, get all your poo poo cleared (cookies/browser history/etc.), then blame me for it. :/

EDIT: More specifically this part here;

Im_Special fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jan 17, 2023

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
GPU sandboxing has been enabled on Windows for 110 beta. What does that mean?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Im_Special posted:

Yeah, to the second part, it was caused by one my addons, the one called "LocalCDN", and it seemed to be this HTML filtering check that did it.

So if you happen to use this addon, come tomorrow's update (or whenever you choose to update, slacker!), you're probably in for a bad time. But heads up anyway.

It's not the 108->109 update, I encountered this on 108.

What's happening is that LocalCDN is trying to use upgraded versions of the libraries (you can see that in your screenshot), but SA specifies the expected hashes:

(this might be a recent change to SA's code?)

So when the extension gives the browser a different file, the browser detects it's wrong and says "gently caress off":

I just disabled LocalCDN to on SA to fix this. "Filter HTML Source Code" makes LocalCDN strip hashes.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

GPU sandboxing has been enabled on Windows for 110 beta. What does that mean?
AIUI it should be much harder for a bug in your graphics driver to lead to a website being able to take over your entire computer.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

WebGPU, which is essentially just an API on top of DirectX, Vulkan, or Metal (for Windows, Unix-likes, and macOS respectively), is a new way for various DOM objects to access 3D rendering and GPGPU processing in an as-close-to-native way as is possible.
At some point it's supposed to become a web standard, but hopefully they get it properly sandboxed before then - because as you might imagine, it's doing to be a target that'll be rife for abuse.

EDIT: Case in point, there was a set of bugs that could be used for sandbox-escape + remote code execution in Firefox back in March of 2022 - and the latter involved WebGPU.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jan 18, 2023

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Just updated to 109 and it was pegging my CPU but the beta is not so I'm calling 109 a failure and hope none of you experience the drama.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

one thing I do like about safari (on a mac) is when I get MFA codes in texts it can grab them to put into a form, instead of me having to type them in. i assume firefox can't do that

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Can I use my add-ons on Firefox nightly beta mobile yet?
(They seemingly broke all addon's like a year ago?)

They wanted you to add it to an add-on collection and acted like that would make it work, but it never did.
(I realize some addon's will be broken and never work, but major popular ones will)

I use Firefox beta so I can use Adguard properly, but maybe I can get around that by dialing into my firewalla box on my home network from mobile.

Edit: I googled it again and
"I tried it on Nightly and it works as intended

Suprisingly it turns out that you also CAN install addons from the AMO site if you choose the "Download file" option instead of the greyed out "+ Add to Firefox" button, even if the addon is not on the "recommended" list

I have no idea why it isn't mentioned anywhere that you can do that, or why is the "Download file" button so small, but it solves the problem"

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 19, 2023

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

The thing with the collection works for me on Mull, but just downloading add-ons sounds a lot simpler yeah.

I don't quite get how they keep hanging on so long to offering just 20 odd verified popular add-ons. That list could have grown to 500 or whatever easily over the last few years with a mimimum of effort and covered a lot more people's needs.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Is the extension manager icon in the toolbar I can't remove there for everyone, or is stuck there because of something to do with my CSS tweaks? I don't see why I'd need a permanent button for that, that's not a setting I go to a lot.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Knormal posted:

Is the extension manager icon in the toolbar I can't remove there for everyone, or is stuck there because of something to do with my CSS tweaks? I don't see why I'd need a permanent button for that, that's not a setting I go to a lot.

The extension manager is there but can be removed with extensions.unifiedExtensions.enabled set to false

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

zetamind2000 posted:

The extension manager is there but can be removed with extensions.unifiedExtensions.enabled set to false

nice thanks

is there anyway to change the color of the blank page? i like new tabs to be blank, but it's a bit bright at night.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jan 20, 2023

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

actionjackson posted:

nice thanks

is there anyway to change the color of the blank page? i like new tabs to be blank, but it's a bit bright at night.

the best way is to use the dark theme

you can also use either UserContent.css:
code:
@-moz-document url-prefix(about:blank) {*{background-color:black;}}
or stylus to do it, but the problem is you get a white flash between opening a new tab and the css being applied. dark theme fixedthat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

zetamind2000 posted:

Thanks, that's better than having to mess with CSS but I don't get why they'd not just make that button customizable like all the others.