Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Anyone who posts in the thread ever been out to Ogasawara? I may be out to Japan come early summer (late May, maybe June) to visit a friend who lives in Tokyo, and we'd like to go somewhere in the country that she hasn't been to. The Ogasawara islands are a bit of a rarity and I have a love of remote and semi-forgotten islands, so I thought that might be a nice choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Has anyone been to a show at Kabuki-za in Ginza? I was invited to attend and wondering if it's worthwhile to check out.

Seems like it's an all day thing split into 3 parts and you can't buy tickets to a single part.

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jan 18, 2023

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Busy Bee posted:

Has anyone been to a show at Kabuki-za in Ginza? I was invited to attend and wondering if it's worthwhile to check out.

Seems like it's an all day thing split into 3 parts and you can't buy tickets to a single part.

I haven't been but if it is a new experience then it is worth checking out. Even if you end up hating it. Then you know.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
You convinced me, thanks haha

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I've been to Kyoto's Minamiza and I'm going to be honest, Kabuki is boring af

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

Busy Bee posted:

I have been a few times. That remind me I should probably take my cousin there.

It used to be 5 parts but now Covid makes it 3 :( each part is really short, less than half an hour and super accessible.

https://www.kabukiweb.net/theatres/kabukiza/kabukiza_january_2023/

There used to be audio guides or subtitles in the side by I guess they aren’t updated. But I highly recommend going. Way better than the stupid robot restaurant.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Wonton posted:

It used to be 5 parts but now Covid makes it 3 :( each part is really short, less than half an hour and super accessible.

Ah the old "it takes 91+ minutes to catch Covid so 90 minutes is safe, 150 minutes is dangerous" school of thinking. Mexico and Germany have a lot of similar logic still too.

Thanks for the driving suggestions. Probably I’ll have more questions once we see who out of the 6 of us actually buys tickets for the dates we blocked off and who has something come up (or "come up"). I’ve had pretty moderate luck traveling with friends, although so far they have always happened (minus one COVID-cancelled trip) they tend to have a significant dropout rate, including two people on two separate occasions who bailed the day before.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Doing some planning for my next trip. Looking at October, same as my last two trips.

First time I dragged, someone in this thread called her my concubine which still makes me laugh, through Tokyo which was a bit hellish.
Second trip was solo doing the Osaka and Kyoto stuff.

This trip will be for myself, the concubine and her husband plus their teenage daughter. The husband is half Japanese so he wants to make his pilgrimage to the motherland and do temples and castles, c.bine wants to do the major amusement parks and instagram the sights, and daughter wants to weeb it up wherever. The real fun is they want to do the cross-country Osaka/Kyoto to Tokyo whirlwind tour over like 9 days (Im figuring 2 day loss for travel via plane).

For myself this is obviously going to be a lot of rehashing of places I've been. I've told them straight up that I plan on ditching them on days they will be hitting places where I feel once is enough for me and doing my own thing. I also plan on flying in a day or two early and flying home a couple days after they leave to do Hiroshima and things of interest to me like a miniatures museum that opened up recently, etc.

A lot of early planning because she needs to know what we are looking at in costs since she needs to budget everything for her crew.

If you wanna see my stupid map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1MAC4nJb9Q-HmaBpHuCKH_9iXvvLcjr8A&usp=sharing
Blue is from their list of wants, purple are of mutual interest but unnecessary, red are my interests and likely to be done before/after they are gone.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Wonton posted:

Where in japan should you start considering renting a car? Anytime you go into the mountains and away from the main Shinkansen lines. Even Kyushuu is very much car dependent. However some towns do have crazy campaigns where you can hire a taxi driver at some ridiculous price for half a day or X hours.

Car rental is almost necessary in Okinawa. While there are buses, those take a lot of time as they cover all the side paths. When I visited Okinawa, I opted not to rent a car. This led me to spend most of my time in the buses when traveling to the north of the main island.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i rented a bike on okinawa

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
If you had to choose two, which ones would you pick out of Tokyo City View in Roppongi, Shibuya Sky, Tokyo SkyTree, or Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building observatory?

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Busy Bee posted:

If you had to choose two, which ones would you pick out of Tokyo City View in Roppongi, Shibuya Sky, Tokyo SkyTree, or Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building observatory?

Just a note, Tokyo City View also often holds exhibitions so it becomes better value for money and more fun overall if it's something you care about. Right now there's an exhibit about the life work of a famous pianist, but they can be focused on modern/classic art, pop culture, etc.

Otherwise, if I'm just looking for the most 'interesting' observation decks, it'd be Shibuya and Sky Tree.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
I actually enjoyed the shibuya scramble tower view. It’s only 13 floors high but you see a lot of foreground because there aren’t any buildings out in front due to the construction. You do see out west a bit too so you can see Fuji, and seeing the sunsetting and different parts of shibuya is a nice treat. The view gives you a lot more relevance of people watching, you see buses, trains, metros, pedestrian bridges, taxis, alleyways, the shibuya crossing, and the roof of the smaller buildings. Its a really fun view.

The Tokyo metropolitan building is also nice because it’s free and you get a huge panorama 360 across the building. Plus there’s a mouyan curry nearby for lunch. Cocoichi is too basic.

Tokyo tower is a poor man’s Eiffel Tower but kitschy to enact your Godzilla or tv show fantasy.

Like what others said, Tokyo sky tree is a tall building in the edge of the city center over seeing everything else. I supposed it’s like the weather balloon view.

I guess I’m just really biased against the sky tree, i was really disappointed after going to Tokyo tower. It felt like a giant tourist trap to placate whiny toddlers with subpar anime merch. Or one of those mall affiliated aquariums. The Eiffel Tower is bad enough but taking a picture of zozoji with the modern architecture is cool.

I suppose the Tokyo tower and sky tree are nice landmarks to have in the background in your photos but only worth seeing one time. It’s like the Eiffel Tower, or the Statue of Liberty. Ellis island was a fun visit though.

I rather take a train to Yokohama and look at the city skyline from the waterfront.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

Blackchamber posted:

This trip will be for myself, the concubine and her husband plus their teenage daughter.

Concubine….???

So it’s

Third wheel Goon (been to Tokyo)
Mom (been to Tokyo)
Dad (half Japanese, never been to japan?)
Kid (what age again?)

Tokyo Osaka Kyoto 9 days yet making a google maps? That doesn’t sound too good

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Taking the polycule abroad. Please update the thread on how it goes.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Okinawa was rebuilt by Americans after WWII, there’s a monorail in the city of Naha but everything else on the main island requires a car. California vibes. You can do the ‘hire a taxi driver for a day’ thing too but the flexibility of your own car is nice to have. If you’re not staying on the main island it’s probably irrelevant.

Shibawanko posted:

i rented a bike on okinawa

That’s fine for getting around only Naha or on one of the outer lying islands, but it ain’t gonna get you from Kokusai Dōri up to the aquarium :v:

Busy Bee posted:

I haven’t done Shibuya Scramble building roof yet but it hems closer to Tokyo Metro building in terms of “interesting things are close by.” That’s the problem with SkyTree, it’s out there most of the way to Chiba, while the proper skyline is across town. Tokyo Tower has different things up close, but is probably best appreciated from ground level and as background from Zojoji Temple.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i cycled up to nakagusuku castle, which is further than that. i wouldn't recommend it though because of all the hills

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Wonton posted:

There used to be audio guides or subtitles in the side by I guess they aren’t updated. But I highly recommend going. Way better than the stupid robot restaurant.

How do you even compare the two?

Especially now that the Robot Restaurant has been gone for two years?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Wonton posted:

Concubine….???

So it’s

Third wheel Goon (been to Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka)
Mom (been to Tokyo)
Dad (half Japanese, never been to japan?)
Kid (what age again?)

Tokyo Osaka Kyoto 9 days yet making a google maps? That doesn’t sound too good

LyonsLions posted:

Taking the polycule abroad. Please update the thread on how it goes.

The concubine thing was because when we went together I mentioned I was paying most of her way despite just being friends and I guess apparently that's something that only happens when they are your concubine. Thankfully this time she'll have her own money since both her and her husband work. Kid is 17 I think and into ghibli and all that.

I always make maps just because it's easier to visualize where things are when planning days so we aren't zigzagging across the place and spending a bunch of time in transit retracing our steps. Also their original list was much longer but when they saw some of them would be traveling an hour or longer on trains for 1 specific thing they were willing to drop it.

I've traveled with them before, we did a week in Orlando doing all the tourist traps and amusement parks. So I already know I get along with them, and when I need a break I won't feel bad ditching them since they have each other.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

do any of you know how to find car meets in tokyo? i know about the daikoku parking area, but we're not renting a car so don't think i will be getting out there this time. besides it seems like you just have to show up and hope for the best.

seeing all the photos from tokyo auto salon has me itching to see the awesome japanese car culture in person.

also can anyone tell me if http://jbsports.jp is open for visitors? And if they are open for an open gym workout? would love to break in a new pair of gloves there.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

Ned posted:

Especially now that the Robot Restaurant has been gone for two years?

Thank goodness

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

KidDynamite posted:

do any of you know how to find car meets in tokyo? i know about the daikoku parking area, but we're not renting a car so don't think i will be getting out there this time. besides it seems like you just have to show up and hope for the best.

seeing all the photos from tokyo auto salon has me itching to see the awesome japanese car culture in person.

Possible taxi to Daikoku? or asking really nicely to a friendly goon? :v:

I only know of Daikanyama T-Site having a Cars and Coffee, but it’s once/twice monthly and early on Sunday mornings. I also haven’t seen if it’s survived the pandemic.

A couple accounts I follow on IG - drivethru.jp and car_city_guide - might be worth a follow to see if any events are happening from them, but they’re also often in car-accessible places.

Along with losing Team Lab the renovations on Odaiba mean Toyota’s MegaWeb and History Garage are also no more. I don’t know if or where a successor will happen in Tokyo; no other OEM really has a permanent museum or location in Tokyo.

There are a number of spots to go around the city to see cool cars - Shunjuku, Shibuya, Hibiya/Ginza/Yurakucho for expensive stuff, Akihabara for some itasha. Feel free to reach out with questions too.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

harperdc posted:

Possible taxi to Daikoku? or asking really nicely to a friendly goon? :v:

I only know of Daikanyama T-Site having a Cars and Coffee, but it’s once/twice monthly and early on Sunday mornings. I also haven’t seen if it’s survived the pandemic.

A couple accounts I follow on IG - drivethru.jp and car_city_guide - might be worth a follow to see if any events are happening from them, but they’re also often in car-accessible places.

Along with losing Team Lab the renovations on Odaiba mean Toyota’s MegaWeb and History Garage are also no more. I don’t know if or where a successor will happen in Tokyo; no other OEM really has a permanent museum or location in Tokyo.

There are a number of spots to go around the city to see cool cars - Shunjuku, Shibuya, Hibiya/Ginza/Yurakucho for expensive stuff, Akihabara for some itasha. Feel free to reach out with questions too.

The taxi is definitely an option but I wouldn't anyone out like that.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cne0Cu_JwS-/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

I wonder if people will be burnt out of bringing out their cars this month because of all the journalists and photogs there now.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
Has anyone here had experience staying in a share house as a foreigner? Usually I just do Airbnbs but share houses in Tokyo look a lot cheaper and nicer for what you pay. Some of them seem quite welcoming to foreigners but I'm still worried I'm missing something obvious that will gently caress it up for me.

Working as a digital nomad, and I'm looking to stay for my maximum of nearly three months, if any of that makes a difference.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I might be wrong, but sharehouses might require a work visa and not just a tourist visa.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

harperdc posted:

I might be wrong, but sharehouses might require a work visa and not just a tourist visa.

That sounds like a pretty important thing, thanks

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I don't think it's a legal requirement. It's just that entering a sharehouse is basically a rental agreement and they rather you not have a visitor visa that implies you could just gently caress off at any moment.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Otoh "room in a house" airbnb also exist, hanging out w some cool retired people could be very good.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

We're beginning to finalize things for the trip late next month. I've talked to the concierge at the first place we've been staying and they've been helpful. They suggested the luggage courier service to send out luggage between hotels, so I think we're going to take them up on that as some ITT have said that was helpful. I've read tipping culture is different in Japan. Normally I'd tip a concierge that helped us out. Is that something they'll frown upon there?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There's no situation in Japan where you should tip.

If you really wanted to do something to show gratitude, buy one of those little snack boxes meant for giving as a gift. Get it wrapped at the store.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

There's no situation in Japan where you should tip.

If you really wanted to do something to show gratitude, buy one of those little snack boxes meant for giving as a gift. Get it wrapped at the store.

Great, that works, thanks.

I see there are some rules about personal medications. My wife takes several anti-seizure meds as well as prescription klonopin (clonazepam) as needed when she gets auras related to epilepsy, which thankfully are rare, but It looks like that may be on the restricted list. Will she need to bring prescription bottles for everything if we’re staying for 12 days?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Check with the Japanese embassy where you live about medications. They should be able to help you check if anything needs declaration, special handling, or is perhaps straight up illegal to bring, and can probably help getting any paperwork done.
Definitely don't try to smuggle anything in without being completely sure it's legal, you'd be risking massive fines or jail.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

You can do the medication permit paperwork over the internet if your meds are on the list. My friend did it for his adhd meds when we went a couple of years ago and they turned it around in like two days. Have the certificate and declare it on entry, it's fast and easy. Consulate can help but you can almost certainly handle it yourself.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Aww, I liked Megaweb and History Garage. I was there during the first days of Tokyo shutting down in 2020, we went into both because the buildings counted as public walkways. Megaweb was still playing car engine sounds over some distant speakers at the far end of the building, but otherwise it was completely silent and still. We were able to access the old street part of History Garage too, no one else was there. It felt like the rapture had happened and we were the last humans on Earth.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Akratic Method posted:

Anyone who posts in the thread ever been out to Ogasawara? I may be out to Japan come early summer (late May, maybe June) to visit a friend who lives in Tokyo, and we'd like to go somewhere in the country that she hasn't been to. The Ogasawara islands are a bit of a rarity and I have a love of remote and semi-forgotten islands, so I thought that might be a nice choice.

Yep, I've been. God help you if you get seasick because the overnight waters to get down there can be rough and the ship displaces 11,000 tons so it's not gigantic. It's very worth the journey if you're into nature and snorkeling though. One plus side of the 26-hour ride with little onboard entertainment is basically every other drive or flight seems short now. Twelve hours NRT to ATL? Who cares!

There's supposed to be no light pollution for stargazing but we had clouds and rain every night. If you google Yankee Town you might find a short write-up about the famous bar on Chichijima.

It's a great trip. The regular package is the round-trip boat plus 3 nights at one of the local minshuku. Late May is high season but given the round-trip duration they can only make one departure every four days or so. Reserve early!

Separately I've also been to Yakushima but it's a world apart.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i really enjoyed yakushima

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

There's hella boats leaving to the islands from Takeshiba port, right next to Takeshiba station in Tokyo, all day every day. Go catch a fish.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Can someone let me know of some shuttle/taxi services in Tokyo? 5 PAX (2 toddlers) + Luggage.. so I assume I need to book something in advance.. for 6 or 7am?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Are you a visitor or a resident, from where to where?
Yes, you can reserve a taxi in advance and request a van. If you're staying in a hotel, the front desk can arrange it. Otherwise the GO taxi app works quite well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Henada Airport to Cerulean Hotel in Shibuya and from Cerulean Hotel in Shibuya and after most likely to the main train station to catch the Shinkansen