Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Mister Facetious posted:

Reformat your phone. Apple tends to be much better than Android about "Always reset after every letter upgrade", but doing it made my 11 work a lot better after three years without one.

I’ve been having similar problems with a new 13 mini. It seems a whole lot slower than 11 - very often an app won’t appear in spotlight search now, or take 10 seconds to show. Apps lock up not infrequently. I kind of regret not getting the other fixed for the nth time, it’s been a step down in every way but the size. Should I try that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
If uninstalling and reinstalling the app doesn't help, then yeah, maybe.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

This is like every app, including awful etc. My phone shouldn’t tell me to stop posting; that’s for you all to do and I won’t stand for your obsoletion.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Restarted the phone and it’s still doing it for every app, like 10 seconds to come up. I have spotlight indexing turned off for the app content of most things, so I’d assume I put less load on the indexer than most people…

E: looks like 16.2 never installed despite it promising it’d do it every night. I suppose i should try that manually and see what happens. The old phone did the auto updates fine fwiw.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

This phone sucks! I can’t update cause it’s stuck on “update requested” and I can’t load the iPhone storage label to try to delete the download. Restarting does nothing. What a piece of crap.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
sounds like something is boogered up in the OS. I'd wipe it, don't restore a backup, update to 16.2 and then set up all your poo poo. Or if you have access to a computer you should be able to update/wipe using that.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Jose Oquendo posted:

sounds like something is boogered up in the OS. I'd wipe it, don't restore a backup, update to 16.2 and then set up all your poo poo. Or if you have access to a computer you should be able to update/wipe using that.

Glad to report to 16.2 eventually got past the init and it fixed the problems I mentioned today :)

e: oh no it started again. from other posts I’ve seen online, reinstalling doesn’t solve this problem for most people who post about it.

mawarannahr fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jan 17, 2023

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I'd just reformat the phone completely. Nuke that bitch.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Skeezy posted:

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Does anyone have any recommendations on MagSafe pads that can do a phone and watch? No stands because the case I’m using isn’t MagSafe and won’t stay. It will however line up to a MagSafe puck. I like the Belkin and Apple ones but if possible I’d like to spend less than $100

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations on MagSafe pads that can do a phone and watch? No stands because the case I’m using isn’t MagSafe and won’t stay. It will however line up to a MagSafe puck. I like the Belkin and Apple ones but if possible I’d like to spend less than $100

I have the $130 or whatever Belkin one and love it FWIW

e:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09WD9DMQK

I guess it’s back up to $150 now

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jan 17, 2023

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Skeezy posted:

after doing some reading I don’t think this is fixable

https://www.macrumors.com/2023/01/16/ios-16-bugs-after-launch/

quote:

Some iOS 16 Users Continue to Report Plethora of Bugs Months After Launch
Sami FathiMonday January 16, 2023 2:47 am PST
Four months after launch, iOS 16 users continue to report experiencing a plethora of bugs, ranging from slow keyboard pop-ups, random rebooting, UI glitches, camera freezes, and more.

General iOS 16 Feature YellowApple released ‌iOS 16‌ in September and has since released multiple follow-up updates to address bugs and security patches. The most recent update for the operating system is iOS 16.2, released on December 13. iOS 16.2 brought a new Freeform app, new always-on display options for the iPhone 14 Pro, new lock screen widgets, 5G support for India, and more. Along with the latest features, the update also brought many bugs and system glitches, according to user reports.

Across Twitter, Reddit (1,2,3,4,5,6), the MacRumors forum (1,2,3,4), and Apple Support, users say they're experiencing an unusual amount of bugs and poor system performance following the most recent ‌iOS 16‌ update. According to users, the issues are wide-ranging, including Spotlight search glitches, the keyboard not appearing in apps, excessive battery drain, the Camera app freezing, problems with Focus modes, Apple Music app bugs, HomeKit accessories not working, and CarPlay glitches.

On Reddit, users report that apps can freeze after they're opened or crash entirely while in use. "This started happening after updating to iOS 16.2, where I'll be using an app (happening on any app), and the application freezes for a couple of seconds," one user said. "Yeah it's been awful! I even decided this year was the year to upgrade my phone to 14 Pro and it's been so bad," said another user.

Users also report ongoing issues with the Home app following the iOS 16.2 update. One new feature of the update was an overhaul of the architecture of the Home app. Apple announced the new architecture in June, promising faster, more reliable ‌HomeKit‌ performance. Following the release of the new app, however, users reported issues with accessories not working, forcing Apple to withdraw the update.

User reports suggest issues are not limited to any specific iPhone model, given ‌iOS 16‌ is supported by the ‌iPhone‌ 8 and later models. Even with the latest high-end iPhones, the ‌iPhone 14 Pro‌ and ‌iPhone 14 Pro‌ Max, users are experiencing issues, including a long-standing problem with the device lagging when a user closes out of an app.

iOS 16.2 was released last month after testing with developers and public testers since October. Through the beta testing period in October, November, and December, Apple released five updates, addressing bugs and issues reported by testers.

Given the nature of bugs experienced by some users on iOS 16.2, Apple could release iOS 16.2.1 before releasing iOS 16.3 several weeks later. Apple is currently testing iOS 16.3 with developers and public beta members with just a few new features.

describes my issues almost to a T, including incredible
battery drain.

Guess I’m SOL. what am I going to do, switch to android?? :lmao:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Buddy, they write those articles after every single iOS release. When Apple sells hundreds of millions of phones, even if a very very small percent of phones have issues that’s still hundreds of thousands of people.

Is there a particular reason you are refusing to even try to do a restore?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

FCKGW posted:

Buddy, they write those articles after every single iOS release. When Apple sells hundreds of millions of phones, even if a very very small percent of phones have issues that’s still hundreds of thousands of people.

Is there a particular reason you are refusing to even try to do a restore?

The article is based on the same social media and Apple support posts that describe my problem exactly. I have tried the other remedies there. Nobody in those threads got a good result from reformatting. It doesn’t seem like a good use of my time at all. Could you say why would a restore fix anything?

It’s a buggy POS! I’ve never had such a bad experience and it seems to be a problem for a lot of people. It’s weird to deny this.

e: getting heavy “reset the PRAM and run disk permissions” vibes

mawarannahr fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jan 17, 2023

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Works on my machine.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

American McGay posted:

Works on my machine.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

It’s a critically buggy release they had to withdraw part of it already :shrug:

https://www.theverge.com/2022/12/22/23522418/apple-ios16-2-homekit-home-app-upgrade-removed

quote:

Apple has removed the option to upgrade to the new HomeKit architecture on devices running iOS 16.2. The change follows multiple reports of issues and problems with the Home app after the upgrade was installed.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213481

quote:

We temporarily removed the option to upgrade to the new Home architecture. The option to upgrade will return soon. If you already upgraded, you are unaffected by this change.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

Could you say why would a restore fix anything?

Well because you haven’t even tried it.

It really doesn’t even take that long. You’ve spent more time trying not to restore at this point.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

mawarannahr posted:

The article is based on the same social media and Apple support posts that describe my problem exactly. I have tried the other remedies there. Nobody in those threads got a good result from reformatting. It doesn’t seem like a good use of my time at all. Could you say why would a restore fix anything?

It’s a buggy POS! I’ve never had such a bad experience and it seems to be a problem for a lot of people. It’s weird to deny this.

e: getting heavy “reset the PRAM and run disk permissions” vibes

Yeah just back your stuff up to the cloud and factory reset your phone. People aren’t denying your lived experience or whatever, it’s just not an issue that affects most people, and there’s only a few different models of iPhone. You’ll probably be fine after a big reset.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

I haven't had any of the problems described in the article on either my iPhone 11, nor my iPad 9

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

I’ll add my anecdote to say the upgraded Home structure actually improved my HomeKit experience.

Like, way better. Siri and our HomePods actually differentiate between my wife and I’s voices now. Automations update the first time I make a change instead of the second or third (or needing to just be setup fresh every time).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Thwomp posted:

I’ll add my anecdote to say the upgraded Home structure actually improved my HomeKit experience.

Just don't ever move because resetting everything just does NOT work. Sent invites disappear into a void, and at some point in the dozen of home deletions/resets I've done I lost the ability to become an Admin of my own home. Which I guess fixes the invites problem because I can't invite anyone anymore.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Have others had to constantly prove to Google they’re not a bot in the last week or two? I’m assuming it’s down to the Apple privacy proxy-type thing being enabled as I’ve had other sites block me from using my phone on them due to that.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

The Grumbles posted:

Yeah just back your stuff up to the cloud and factory reset your phone. People aren’t denying your lived experience or whatever, it’s just not an issue that affects most people, and there’s only a few different models of iPhone. You’ll probably be fine after a big reset.

This. A restore process is not hard. Even if you set up the phone as new, if you have iCloud enabled for everything it still makes it pretty painless. Restore through iTunes or Finder though. Erasing the phone through the phone itself does not re-install iOS and the firmware, it only erases your data.

E: you probably don’t even need to set it up as new. Create an encrypted backup in iTunes/Finder. Restore through iTunes/Finder. Restore backup. The whole process takes like 20 minutes and there’s very little to set up after the restore process.

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jan 17, 2023

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

EL BROMANCE posted:

Have others had to constantly prove to Google they’re not a bot in the last week or two? I’m assuming it’s down to the Apple privacy proxy-type thing being enabled as I’ve had other sites block me from using my phone on them due to that.

Yeah I think private relay reuses IP addresses so it does end up looking quite bot-like from someone like Google's perspective. Worth it for privacy though

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

Macichne Leainig posted:

Yeah I think private relay reuses IP addresses so it does end up looking quite bot-like from someone like Google's perspective. Worth it for privacy though

Pretty sure the phds at Google are able to figure out which ip addresses belong to private relay. They’re trying to make it annoying enough for you so you turn it off and they’re back to being able to easily fingerprint your traffic again.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Siri suggestions are getting real weird.

Work and call dad are fine but that soccer team?? I’ve also never gone into the settings for venmo because I’ve never needed it.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

MarcusSA posted:

The Siri suggestions are getting real weird.

Work and call dad are fine but that soccer team?? I’ve also never gone into the settings for venmo because I’ve never needed it.

Did you try reformatting your phone? :pt:

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

mawarannahr posted:

Did you try reformatting your phone? :pt:

I don’t know why you’re being so strange over the advice you were given lol. So much of a smartphone beyond the app installs lives on the cloud it’s really not as extreme a solution as you’re imagining. Even your anpp configuration annd home screens are backed up. It would probably fix all your issues. It’s a little annoying to do, but it sounds like the issues you’re encountering are more annoying. People are trying to be helpful in earnest.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh hey homepod is not dead

https://youtu.be/oMf_i1YBuMk

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My buddy got one as a wedding present and loves it. It sounds ok but for 299 each I’d get some decent bookshelf speakers, not a single one that can add butter to my shopping list.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Does anybody actually like giving voice commands? This far into the game and I still feel like a dorkus who can't think what kind of phrasing to use until I'm halfway into a stammering unparseable command that I could have given in 1/10 the time by typing.

"Hey Siri tell everyone food's here" that just does not seem natural in real life no matter how much star trek I've seen

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I use it to check sports scores but not much else.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Reminders, timers, sports scores, HomeKit scenes.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Reminders, timers, sports scores, HomeKit scenes.

Timers and music mostly for me.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Im an idiot with money so all my lights and fans are smart controlled and it’s nice for that.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
If you like it and use it then it’s a good thing.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Data Graham posted:

Does anybody actually like giving voice commands? This far into the game and I still feel like a dorkus who can't think what kind of phrasing to use until I'm halfway into a stammering unparseable command that I could have given in 1/10 the time by typing.

"Hey Siri tell everyone food's here" that just does not seem natural in real life no matter how much star trek I've seen

I actually use it a ton for grocery items.

AnyList has deep Siri integration and it's become a go-to thing when I'm in the kitchen and find I'm running out of something.

It took some time to learn (which I totally get. My wife still has to think about it first before saying anything) but I can say "Hey Siri, using AnyList, add orange juice to my grocery store list" or "Hey Siri, using AnyList, add toilet paper to my Costco list" and it just works. Love that.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Data Graham posted:

You can pretty much talk conversationally to most smart speakers now. I think most people and hung up on thinking of the right phrase to say when you can usually just say what you would normally to a person.

“Hey siri can you let everyone else know that the food is here?” would work just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I do use voice commands, I just don’t need to have it integrated into my speakers for a premium yet.

Thwomp posted:

I actually use it a ton for grocery items.

AnyList has deep Siri integration and it's become a go-to thing when I'm in the kitchen and find I'm running out of something.

It took some time to learn (which I totally get. My wife still has to think about it first before saying anything) but I can say "Hey Siri, using AnyList, add orange juice to my grocery store list" or "Hey Siri, using AnyList, add toilet paper to my Costco list" and it just works. Love that.

Now this I may adopt today, I’m still writing lists on a pad stuck to the fridge but a decent smart list would be nice.