Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Resolve the conflict? No! Flee!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

I've decided to stop thinking too hard about things and just enjoy the plunge.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

YaketySass posted:

You know what, AI art is a good metaphor: things superficially look the same but you look closer and everything's flatter, there are creepy details jumping out at you and disparate parts don't mesh together into a cohesive ensemble.

90s Solo Cup posted:

Galaxy brain theory: Boxbot's the author.
OK so the past few chapters are actually the Omega device's simulation. This reads like a pale imitation of the previous story because actually it is, and the Annies's story and characters keep getting simplified because it's trying to write the "dead" girl out of its equations despite the court telling it "no she's alive and there's two of her and she's setting everything on fire what do we doooooo"

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Splicer posted:

OK so the past few chapters are actually the Omega device's simulation. This reads like a pale imitation of the previous story because actually it is, and the Annies's story and characters keep getting simplified because it's trying to write the "dead" girl out of its equations despite the court telling it "no she's alive and there's two of her and she's setting everything on fire what do we doooooo"

Actually the past few chapters are real, and the suits are all leaving because the Omega device predicted them all perfectly but no one believed it

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

pik_d posted:

Actually the past few chapters are real, and the suits are all leaving because the Omega device predicted them all perfectly but no one believed it

The Court really said "drat this poo poo sucks read Kill Six Billion Demons instead"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
what in the name of Coyote is wrong with that last panel. that angle. that pose. that eye. that face. poor composition, no style or grace

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

feel like the obvious incoming twist is loup dies heroically because he's trying to stop Kat indirectly enabling Omega to harm Zimmy; Annie has to make a choice and protects her friend knowing that it will have dire consequences

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tiny Myers posted:

The Court really said "drat this poo poo sucks read Kill Six Billion Demons instead"
The star ocean is a portal to a different comic. They can't bring etheric people because the other comic has different magic rules.

e: it's a 5E fancomic and Omega is just a full tier D&D Beyond subscription

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong
Lmao WHAT??

WHAT????

That's the part she focuses on???

Ditocoaf posted:

Annie's inexplicable reaction (to the Loup part of this! what??) aside...

Is that flashback to last chapter just in case we already forgot we should be thinking about Loup as a lovestruck teenager instead of a sparkledog chaos god who hosed everything up? It can't possibly be a mental image to accompany Annie's thoughts!

Yeah, it's really awkward. I honestly thought we were transitioning back to Loup/Lana until I saw the end-of-chapter mark.

coolusername posted:

Gotta say tho, this page is straight out of a cheap romance shoujo manga. As in I’m pretty sure I’ve seen this exact page of the shocked girl running dramatically transposed in front of a background of the rival girl and love interest embracing, it’s an extremely cliche reference.

I personally believe this is the story he actually wants to write right now. I also believe he really just wants to draw ladies in fancy clothes. Instead of maybe taking a break on Gunnerkrigg and doing that, he's stuffing it awkwardly into the comic. I dunno if he thinks it's like, an homage or a wink-wink reference or something, but the execution is weird and sucks. And apparently leads to awkward splash-pages like the one today.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Ditocoaf posted:

What? What is this? I thought I was resigned to the state of the comic long ago, but somehow I have it in me to feel angry again.

This feels like it was coauthored by GPT-3.

same, I think the one good page in ages created hope even though I tried very hard not to hope

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

just read today's page

is this a loving satire

no, really, a comedian could not have done a better job of satirizing the comic and capturing one of its core problems any better than this

I feel like I just read a Photoshop Phriday edit of a gunnerkrigg page

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Dammerung posted:

This has been me for the past two chapters.

I feel as if there is a huge lack of perspective anymore. Like, all the Jerrek stuff? Annie has no clue that even happened. The last she saw of Loup, he destroyed the body of one of her longest, greatest friends. He's brought nothing but suffering and pain to the Forest and the Court, far beyond what Jeanne had ever done, and the souls of two figures she deeply respected are basically gone because of him.

Annie should, by all rights, be glad to kill him where he stands. She has every right for vengeance. But since Tom wants to write a TokyoPop romance it has to be sidelined.

Seriously. The tonal shift here is exceptionally jarring, and the framing of the last shot makes it feel like her conflict is romantic rather than pragmatic, over a character she has had nearly zero time developing feelings over. Even her big 'jealousy' moment landed flat. She doesn't care about Jerrek, why is he even there.

I would legit love to sit down with some tea and just...discuss this. It's so eminently terrible.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I totally respect and understand wanting to break out of your comfort zone creatively, but he’s just bad at this shoujo stuff. he’s no good at it, and it’s even more stark because he’s taking a wrecking ball to established characters and aesthetics to force through all this sappy romantic schlock

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I just can’t get over how the stock manga imagery relied on here is “the heartbroken or rival girl in a love triangle” which is incredibly odd in this context with these characters. I can’t summon up the willpower to find pages from my ancient highschool shojo reading which would be the full running type panel this is a homage??? to, but even if you look at random classic 1980s anime like https://imgur.io/a/wh9l9Z2 you can see the already codified “couple embraces on the right while the rival dramatically turns to the left” love triangle shorthand.

There’s no other way to read it through the tokyopop shojo type lens… and just look at his nose! It’s anime as gently caress.

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012
So wait, is this supposed to mean Annie actually did know Jerrek was Loup all along?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

afatwhiteloaf posted:

So wait, is this supposed to mean Annie actually did know Jerrek was Loup all along?

I don't think so. That picture isn't in Annie's head, it's more of a collage for the reader. "Remember Loup? He's the one from the beginning of the chapter."

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

Everyone is focused on the last splash panel, but I can't get over the "Friends gaslighting you by accusing you of using them to find someone so they can be murdered? Just walk away. If it sucks, hit da bricks" resolution of the previous page. She turned around and walked away from them. Then she stared jogging and then sprinting. Meanwhile they are presumably still standing there with no faces.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

cant cook creole bream posted:

I don't think so. That picture isn't in Annie's head, it's more of a collage for the reader. "Remember Loup? He's the one from the beginning of the chapter."

That is still a mistake. Since Annie's speaking about going to kill Loup in the panel, the reader is going to assume that the imaginary image in the same panel is what she's thinking about, which makes no sense. Jerrek is just some random guy to her. It really does make it look like she knew all along, which would make no sense at this point.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

worm girl posted:

That is still a mistake. Since Annie's speaking about going to kill Loup in the panel, the reader is going to assume that the imaginary image in the same panel is what she's thinking about, which makes no sense. Jerrek is just some random guy to her. It really does make it look like she knew all along, which would make no sense at this point.

Yeah, no argument here. I thought that for a second, and then dismissed that thought. It does feel weird to present it this way.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Refresh my mind, did Coyote tell her she was going to kill him/Loup or was it just Loup who knows that?

catapede posted:

Lmao WHAT??

WHAT????

That's the part she focuses on???

Yeah, it's really awkward. I honestly thought we were transitioning back to Loup/Lana until I saw the end-of-chapter mark.

I personally believe this is the story he actually wants to write right now. I also believe he really just wants to draw ladies in fancy clothes. Instead of maybe taking a break on Gunnerkrigg and doing that, he's stuffing it awkwardly into the comic. I dunno if he thinks it's like, an homage or a wink-wink reference or something, but the execution is weird and sucks. And apparently leads to awkward splash-pages like the one today.

I think so too, but I also think he knows where he wants to go, but is struggling a lot with a bunch of his own setup right now.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
“Find out on the next episode of Gunnerkrigg Z!”

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Lana's gonna say this to Loup in a few chapters

https://twitter.com/yuriposting/status/1614760772164538368

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Arbetor posted:

Everyone is focused on the last splash panel, but I can't get over the "Friends gaslighting you by accusing you of using them to find someone so they can be murdered? Just walk away. If it sucks, hit da bricks" resolution of the previous page. She turned around and walked away from them. Then she stared jogging and then sprinting. Meanwhile they are presumably still standing there with no faces.

I really wish she would have just turned her fire on, freaked them out, and told them to cut that poo poo out or else.

Would have been far more satisfying than Annie being caught flat-footed again.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
Whenever Loup is not on screen, the other characters should be asking, "where's Loup?"

J.A.B.C. posted:

This has been me for the past two chapters.

I feel as if there is a huge lack of perspective anymore. Like, all the Jerrek stuff? Annie has no clue that even happened. The last she saw of Loup, he destroyed the body of one of her longest, greatest friends. He's brought nothing but suffering and pain to the Forest and the Court, far beyond what Jeanne had ever done, and the souls of two figures she deeply respected are basically gone because of him.

Annie should, by all rights, be glad to kill him where he stands. She has every right for vengeance. But since Tom wants to write a TokyoPop romance it has to be sidelined.

Seriously. The tonal shift here is exceptionally jarring, and the framing of the last shot makes it feel like her conflict is romantic rather than pragmatic, over a character she has had nearly zero time developing feelings over. Even her big 'jealousy' moment landed flat. She doesn't care about Jerrek, why is he even there.

I would legit love to sit down with some tea and just...discuss this. It's so eminently terrible.

The chapter with Rey's body burning feels really out of place at this point. Without that happening I could maybe see Annie struggling with the kill Loup thing, but that poo poo should have pushed her over the edge into not giving a poo poo about him. They don't even mention it at the start of this chapter!

Astribulus
Apr 20, 2004
That's the second largest duck I've ever had in my pants. - Guybrush Threepwood

Darth TNT posted:

Refresh my mind, did Coyote tell her she was going to kill him/Loup or was it just Loup who knows that?

Yes, he explicitly told her after the lake water was returned.
https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2496

Two comics later, he also said he'd manipulated it so that Loup would force her hand and she wouldn't have a choice.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Man everything about this is so baffling. Why is she just running? Why did she say "I need to talk to Kat" but is then worried about killing Loup? Wouldn't she be more concerned with Kat killing Zimmy?? Earlier this very chapter Annie was already aware of and dealing with the fact she has to kill Loup! Like yeah maybe she was still hoping that she could find another way, but why is "you're going to kill Loup" the most shocking thing here and not the prediction about Kat or the fact that her friends think she's working for the court?

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
he should have put a little Aata in the corner too

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

YaketySass posted:

he should have put a little Aata in the corner too

Has a Gunnerkrigg Court Stan Kelly been done yet?

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

I caught up with this strip relatively recently and didn't think it was that bad. I left off right around chapter 43 and didn't think a lot of the stuff after that was that bad. I didn't even think The Mind Cage was that bad. I saw the thread was ripping the comic apart and wanted to think it was regular goon cynicism.

This latest stuff with the star ocean, though, jesus this is horrible. What the hell happened

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Youremother posted:

I caught up with this strip relatively recently and didn't think it was that bad. I left off right around chapter 43 and didn't think a lot of the stuff after that was that bad. I didn't even think The Mind Cage was that bad. I saw the thread was ripping the comic apart and wanted to think it was regular goon cynicism.

This latest stuff with the star ocean, though, jesus this is horrible. What the hell happened

Dude, I have been reading for years and brushed off so much of what was going on in this thread as weird goon poo poo. But they were right. Maybe they were right all along. I CANNOT believe this is the end of this chapter. I can't believe how much time we had to spend with Loup. This feels like a complete breakdown.

I genuinely was like " well the comic has gotten bad. But this is a Zimmy chapter and weird reality rug pulls happen all the time in those. People are a little over eager to get their knives out too early." NOPE ITS OVER

EDIT: I love the secondary cast of this comic and instead we have had to spend every waking moment talking about loving Loup. Thinking about Loup. When we finally get people I like again it is this poo poo.

Sam Sanskrit fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 18, 2023

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I sure love how Annie just runs instead of standing up for herself. Really showing that Fire.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Astribulus posted:

Yes, he explicitly told her after the lake water was returned.
https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2496

Two comics later, he also said he'd manipulated it so that Loup would force her hand and she wouldn't have a choice.

Thanks! I was sure he told her, but it's been so long.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Sam Sanskrit posted:

Dude, I have been reading for years and brushed off so much of what was going on in this thread as weird goon poo poo. But they were right. Maybe they were right all along. I CANNOT believe this is the end of this chapter. I can't believe how much time we had to spend with Loup. This feels like a complete breakdown.

I genuinely was like " well the comic has gotten bad. But this is a Zimmy chapter and weird reality rug pulls happen all the time in those. People are a little over eager to get their knives out too early." NOPE ITS OVER

EDIT: I love the secondary cast of this comic and instead we have had to spend every waking moment talking about loving Loup. Thinking about Loup. When we finally get people I like again it is this poo poo.

I'm pretty much exactly here. And for a while I was resigned to "Okay, things are going downhill, but I'm still invested in where the plotline with Kat and the Robots goes". But now...

It feels like I've finally lost all hope.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I'd much rather Tom declared an endless hiatus / straight-up cancelation like what happened with Cucumber Quest rather than whatever the hell's going on here lol

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Azran posted:

I'd much rather Tom declared an endless hiatus / straight-up cancelation like what happened with Cucumber Quest rather than whatever the hell's going on here lol
while I agree in theory...

ggdg's career was growing in other directions, and CQ had been experiencing delays. GC is an important source of income for Tom's family, and Tom has updated 3 times a week for 18 years. I can't imagine stopping feels remotely like a possibility.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jan 19, 2023

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Kill 6 Billion is a better take on The 36 Lessons of Vivec anyway

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Dammerung posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snTaSJk0n_Y&t=83s

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I can't agree with the people saying Annie shouldn't have ran away. You can't use logic to stop people that blame you for things they themselves did, because that didn't come from logic in the first place. With people like that, the best thing you can do is just leave and let them keep going insane alone, without hurting you.

... Is what I'd say if any of this was on purpose instead of just terrible writing, and if Annie hadn't just ran away while thinking of an entirely different plot thread for some unexplainable reason.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I mean, if I was as easily confused and forgetful as Annie is being made out to be, I'd certainly run too.

Just wait till she learns that her mom died!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Wonder what the odds are that we'll ever see Jack and Jenny again. Maybe they just showed up to be out-of-character plot puppets for a minute and that's their final curtain.