Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Adaptability is a cool idea that isn't implemented very well

Who needs iframes if you're in your bigboy armor with a bigboy shield?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The third best Souls game is Nioh 2 actually, although that might get upended here in a couple months.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Biggest problem with Dark Souls 2 is that it's horrendous to look at nowadays. I think there was a mod that basically made the shaders work properly, but I don't think it's gotten anywhere since like 2020.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Every FromSoft game is a beautiful handcrafted gift, of gaming. Simply live in serenity of enjoyment of great games.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Except Ninja Blade

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The sixth best Souls game is the Baroque Remake.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

hatty posted:

Dark Souls 2 combat feels off

Floaty awkward animations, terrible hit feedback, bad feeling movement, enemy difficulty being based on how firmly their feet are nailed to an invisible lazy susan, hitboxes are hosed beyond salvaging and grabs are implemented in a way where it literally never feels fair that you got got even if it was

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Every FromSoft game is a beautiful handcrafted gift, of gaming. Simply live in serenity of enjoyment of great games.

No

Dabir posted:

Floaty awkward animations, terrible hit feedback, bad feeling movement, enemy difficulty being based on how firmly their feet are nailed to an invisible lazy susan, hitboxes are hosed beyond salvaging and grabs are implemented in a way where it literally never feels fair that you got got even if it was

First fromsoft game eh

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

If all souls games were like DS2 the series would never have even got to DS2

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

exquisite tea posted:

Demon's Souls has been on PC and playing great @ 4k since 2016 :filez:

i just played it on the deck and it's jank and feels old but it really holds up. especially in terms of atmosphere. i was also a big fan of enemies having much more binary resistances and weaknesses, whereas every other souls game lets you mash the square into the circle shaped hole, demon's souls does, uhh, not.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
DS2 is definitely the worst one in places but it's also got the highest peaks of the whole series. nothing in these games is cooler than sanctum city. sorry haters.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Foul Fowl posted:

i just played it on the deck and it's jank and feels old but it really holds up. especially in terms of atmosphere. i was also a big fan of enemies having much more binary resistances and weaknesses, whereas every other souls game lets you mash the square into the circle shaped hole, demon's souls does, uhh, not.

DS1 carries that tradition on, maybe not quite as hard. Like, the snake men in Sen's are a major wakeup call that it's time to get yourself some elemental damage.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Dabir posted:

If all souls games were like DS2 the series would never have even got to DS2

Nothing wrong with ending things on a high note.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Favorite moment in Demons Souls is when I learned that the somersaulting skeletons that gave me so much trouble were weak to fists. Blasted through all of the storm levels uppercutting skeletons

hatty fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jan 18, 2023

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

hatty posted:

Favorite moment in Demons Souls is when I leaned that the somersaulting skeletons that gave me so much trouble were weak to fists. Blasted through all of the storm levels uppercutting skeletons

What ho, muscle wizard

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I want to see a game bring back World Tendency just in a somewhat better way.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

talking to a freaking cuff

Edit: also this menu design is just going to be my lasting memory of the game lol

Huh, they turned the sequel to Carrion into the menu design of an AAA game . Let's see how it plays out

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Dabir posted:

From what I've heard its what people keep saying dark souls 2 is, ie, the worst in its series by a lot, but better than most games by a LOT

It's better than most FROM games

GIVE ME OTOGI ON MODERN SYSTEMS PLZ

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
psychotic menu design FTW

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I went back to DS2 last year after elden ring, because I was told lots of the things I liked about elden ring were also in DS2. The combat was obviously slower but really liked the DS2 world and the build variety. The adaptability hump is fine if you know about it and put points into the appropriate stats.

And then this year I went back to kings field ancient city and it feels like a spiritual prequel to DS2 (by way of demon souls). Again, the combat feels very different and slower, but I just loved the world.

Now I’m almost done demon souls and it also rules.

Fromsoft makes good fantasy world games

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

exquisite tea posted:

I want to see a game bring back World Tendency just in a somewhat better way.

i managed to stay unspoiled on demon's souls since release. i was sure flame lurker was getting harder after dying to it like ten times (in body form) but no, surely this is just my sour grapes and salty flakes talking.

what a loving nutso mechanic lmao

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dark Souls 2 is the best Dark Souls

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
DS2 was my first Souls game and it still holds 2nd place in my mind just below Elden Ring.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

Adaptability is a cool idea that isn't implemented very well

Who needs iframes if you're in your bigboy armor with a bigboy shield?

it's funny that they made the same basic stat tax blunder with elden ring but arguably worse, because while it's theoretically possible to beat ER without pumping at least 25-30 points into VIG, you will hate every single moment of it

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It's better because it's much more optional and doesn't affect basic gameplay allowances

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

good news, forspoken is working to improve the fish eye lens effect

well

i mean. they brought the text closer i guess

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

JollyBoyJohn posted:

It's better than most FROM games

GIVE ME OTOGI ON MODERN SYSTEMS PLZ

You can just buy and play Otogi 1 and 2 on Xbox right now

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

It's better because it's much more optional and doesn't affect basic gameplay allowances

adaptability is also completely optional - SL1 runs still exist, after all - but it makes the game much harder, in the same way that keeping your base VIG in ER makes the game much harder by causing everything from mountaintops onwards to cave in your skull in 1-2 hits

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Jay Rust posted:

the other issue with ADP (and agility) is that you'd have no fuckin clue what it does without a guide. whereas vigour = more health is pretty easily understandable.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
even with ADP the game still feels bad to play. The main problem is the floaty combat

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I hope forspiken turns out to be a decent game

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I just hit stuff with a big sword

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Sakurazuka posted:

I just hit stuff with a big sword

Me too, but the best games let me use two big swords

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Vermain posted:

adaptability is also completely optional - SL1 runs still exist, after all - but it makes the game much harder, in the same way that keeping your base VIG in ER makes the game much harder by causing everything from mountaintops onwards to cave in your skull in 1-2 hits

Tbh equating the two is weird because "get 20 in this stat ASAP to make the game good" is not "it's smart to invest in this defensive stat once you hit the endgame"

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

fridge corn posted:

I hope forspiken turns out to be a decent game

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

funniest poo poo ive ever seen

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I move poo poo with my mind all the time, when I sit on the toilet and tell my sphincter to do its thing

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I should really try Lost Kingdom again and see if I can get past the windmill or graveyard or wherever the hell I kept stalling out at the time

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

adaptability was a bad idea but it's a nonissue when you know it's there and how it works

ds2 owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

Tbh equating the two is weird because "get 20 in this stat ASAP to make the game good" is not "it's smart to invest in this defensive stat once you hit the endgame"

leveling VIG in ER directly allows you to play more aggressively and take more risks than you otherwise would be able to, even pre-mountaintops, which is elementary to making the game fun and not a slog

it also must be said that DS2 hands out free levels like candy, so the adaptability tax is a one-and-done thing you can get over with in an hour or two, whereas ER demands a significant chunk of your leveling experience be devoted to turning you into something other than wet cardboard