Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

I will say though that day 1 I wore a long sleeve "sun shirt" (one of those Magellan or Columbia things people use for fishing) which I found VERY quickly does NOT breath at all. Was gassed after warmups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Got the go-ahead to buy bogu. Stoked. Kendo a couple times a week has become one of the highlights of my schedule.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Ohtori Akio posted:

Got the go-ahead to buy bogu. Stoked. Kendo a couple times a week has become one of the highlights of my schedule.

Congrats. Just get something functional that will last a couple of years.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
I used to wear an Under Armor or MMA rash guard under my gi top, but y'know...boobs. But the good moisture wicking fabrics tended to make things more comfortable, and I didn't feel like I was swimming in wet cotton when my gi got sweaty. Despite the extra layers, I still found it more comfortable having a base layer than not.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Congrats. Just get something functional that will last a couple of years.

There's a group order going, I'll probably just get whatever the sensei running it/measuring me thinks will do the trick.

Termyie
Aug 18, 2022

Always choose violence.

Choking out a much bigger white belt with Kesa-gatame is the highlight of my week. Dude did not expect the pull on the arm when i got the grip to my own hip with my lower arm around his neck. Nice to see some of my judo can be applied to BJJ.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Nice! Coming at it from the other end I wasn't prepared for how much tighter a Judoka's scarf hold is; I was never taught to pull the arm/wind into the sit in BJJ.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I've been doing mostly throws for the last month and a half, and with the small classes sizes coming up on the end of year, I've been pairing up with students more and getting on the receiving end of a lot of sloppy throws. I've definitely had my head rattled despite breakfalling as best as I could. Usually I try to teach a variation where the throwee gets to hold on somehow, or the thrower does some lowering of the throwee to the ground instead of the full throw, but once that phase is cleared, the next is just careful but unfiltered throws.

Soliciting advice on how to coach throws so they're gentler on the class (and me when I mix in). We're either on wrestling mats or a small cage. The cage has more structural springiness, while the mat is more foam. For real sparring, I prefer the greater overall give of the cage, but for drills, I like the consistency of the mat. Neither one is great when a student accidentally overcommits at the end of the throw and spikes you harder last second into the ground.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

kimbo305 posted:

I've been doing mostly throws for the last month and a half, and with the small classes sizes coming up on the end of year, I've been pairing up with students more and getting on the receiving end of a lot of sloppy throws. I've definitely had my head rattled despite breakfalling as best as I could. Usually I try to teach a variation where the throwee gets to hold on somehow, or the thrower does some lowering of the throwee to the ground instead of the full throw, but once that phase is cleared, the next is just careful but unfiltered throws.

Soliciting advice on how to coach throws so they're gentler on the class (and me when I mix in). We're either on wrestling mats or a small cage. The cage has more structural springiness, while the mat is more foam. For real sparring, I prefer the greater overall give of the cage, but for drills, I like the consistency of the mat. Neither one is great when a student accidentally overcommits at the end of the throw and spikes you harder last second into the ground.

Do 10 entries of increasing completion before the throw

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CommonShore posted:

Do 10 entries of increasing completion before the throw

Makes sense. I think that works for hip throws, or leg reaps above the knee, but what about kicking out the support leg type throws?
You need a certain kick speed to knock the foot loose. That's the part that's hardest to time/mesh speed with the preceding setup work.

Often the other leg is being trapped by their arm, and their free arm is either pushing/twisting to accentuate your rotation once you're falling, or doing an underhook to slow/lower them to the ground.
They can do well with the underhook lowering version, but when that extra control is taken off, the throw goes back to being quite varied in intensity.

I also hesitate personally to tell people who are trying to put in a good effort to dial it back, especially if it's unintentionally strong. There's way more times when I really have to goad them to putting in enough force.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

kimbo305 posted:

Use a crash pad so people can drill throws for real. There's really no other way.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Teach them breakfalls and tell them to concede takedowns. Not much else to do.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Trained at a satellite school last night so I could train for the first time since before Christmas. Needed it. Badly. Waaaaay too much christmas baking.

Could have done without the linoleum over concrete floor though. Especially when I fell from pulling off 2 quick reverse crescent kicks. Good thing I'm instinctively falling a little better and not smacking my head on the floor.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 7, 2023

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

kimbo305 posted:

Makes sense. I think that works for hip throws, or leg reaps above the knee, but what about kicking out the support leg type throws?
You need a certain kick speed to knock the foot loose. That's the part that's hardest to time/mesh speed with the preceding setup work.

Often the other leg is being trapped by their arm, and their free arm is either pushing/twisting to accentuate your rotation once you're falling, or doing an underhook to slow/lower them to the ground.
They can do well with the underhook lowering version, but when that extra control is taken off, the throw goes back to being quite varied in intensity.

I also hesitate personally to tell people who are trying to put in a good effort to dial it back, especially if it's unintentionally strong. There's way more times when I really have to goad them to putting in enough force.

Crash pad is good advice too if people are getting smoked, and if it's for a throw where a crash pad can help. Doing a greater proportion of entries to throws is good for pretty much anything. Those first 9 entries help to get the technique dialed in as much as possible before adding the heat to the last rep or two. But yeah for some throws the entry is a smaller proportion of the technique.

Osoto gari is a really good example of this because it's certainly a "kicking out the support leg" throw with upper body control - when I have the student doing reps of this I get them to focus on making sure that they're breaking balance correctly, getting feet in the right place, entering on a proper angle, finding the timing against the balance break, and sometimes even doing the full reap at calf height and deliberately missing outside of the leg. Once all of that seems good, only then do we make contact with the leg.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Ok so after a few months of BJJ and not going to class as often as I should, last night I finally got my first win. In the process I realized that I switched tactics without thinking and actually grabbed an Americana correctly and got a tap. Minor thing I guess, but :feelsgood:

Termyie
Aug 18, 2022

Always choose violence.

EdsTeioh posted:

Ok so after a few months of BJJ and not going to class as often as I should, last night I finally got my first win. In the process I realized that I switched tactics without thinking and actually grabbed an Americana correctly and got a tap. Minor thing I guess, but :feelsgood:

After years of judo I realized that my ne-waza was not great at all. The more I fight other white belts, the more I realized that my whole ground game is stall, stall and stall some more to get thrown back up again. My setups for choking and armbars are really bad and I feel like most of what I was taught was to use muscle than technique. I hurt my shoulder when trying to do a scissor sweep because I didn't load my opponent onto my leg before the sweep. I was taught to just pull them Just feels bad that my Sensei just wanted me to be a training dummy for his son.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Termyie posted:

stall some more to get thrown back up again.

Thrown back up? Like getting kicked off from top control?

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Termyie posted:

After years of judo I realized that my ne-waza was not great at all. The more I fight other white belts, the more I realized that my whole ground game is stall, stall and stall some more to get thrown back up again. My setups for choking and armbars are really bad and I feel like most of what I was taught was to use muscle than technique. I hurt my shoulder when trying to do a scissor sweep because I didn't load my opponent onto my leg before the sweep. I was taught to just pull them Just feels bad that my Sensei just wanted me to be a training dummy for his son.

Is the stall thing a product of the judo ruleset? My understanding was that once things go to the ground there's a very short window to operate in for the finish so it would make sense that is the direction things go with your newaza.

If you are rolling against someone who is stalling and you're under time pressure to work for a tap, I can see how that would lead to muscling things rather than using technique, as getting a pure technique finish in a time scramble is incredibly difficult if your opponent isn't completely asleep.

e: also on scissor sweeps, if you're having trouble loading your opponent up, one thing you can try is to kick out their knee with the leg you would have on the mat scissoring, while still keeping your other shin across their chest. When you kick the knee, it's very common for that to break down their posture and load them up on you and allow you to finish a modified scissor sweep (this guy calls it a push sweep)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to2Eq3efRzE

butros fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 10, 2023

Termyie
Aug 18, 2022

Always choose violence.

kimbo305 posted:

Thrown back up? Like getting kicked off from top control?

Heavyweight Judo is notorious for turtle stalling so you cause a stop in the ne-waza to force both opponents to reset on their feet. I am just frustrated that my judo isn't as great as I thought it was. I just feel like I was pushed through to Brown without actually earning it.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Also, I was a BJJ purple belt in a Judo white belt tournament, and the guy I was in with was absolute trash on the ground, just a complete beginner, and he still stalled me out every time because it turns out breaking someone's panicked death grip in about five seconds or less isn't a skill I've emphasized in four years of BJJ. I talked to a more advanced teammate who's better than I am in both sports and his phrasing was "you don't have time to cook people in Judo."

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Termyie posted:

Heavyweight Judo is notorious for turtle stalling so you cause a stop in the ne-waza to force both opponents to reset on their feet.

Oh, so 'throw' was metaphorical, not literal?

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Termyie posted:

This is a good illustration of how much a ruleset will drive strategy and specialization--judo and BJJ are both grappling arts that coalesced around the same time from the same teaching lineage, they use the same uniform and allow most of the same grips, and they both reward throws and pins and submissions, but with different point weighting, time limits, and legal techniques. Anecdotally, your experience sounds pretty standard for judo newaza instruction. From your description so far, it sounds like your throws and pins are already strong from your judo training, so that definitely wasn't a waste, and now you have the opportunity to become an especially well-rounded grappler by developing sharper technique in the area that judo stereotypically glosses over.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

My grappling folks: do y'all wear knee pads? If so, which ones? I took a stray shot to that weird inside process or whatever last night and buddy that poo poo is killing me.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Kneepads are good for people recovering from serious knee injuries, but i wouldn't recommend it unless you have a serious knee issue. Mostly because they can be very annoying during rolling. It will often move around and shift out of position. Additionally, it's more laundry you need to do, and it can be very difficult to wash the sweat smell out.

You will have lots of sore bruises and bumps when you start, it's natural. Your body will adjust. Impacts that are bumps and bruises now will not be as painful in the future. Make sure you are eating enough between training sessions so your body can recover, and don't overdo it though. Be honest about whether you can train/roll that day. It's an adult hobbyist sport, no need to push yourself to train for a non-existent deadline like a high school wrestler.

If you lack general athleticism because you started as an adult without a sports background, I suggest yoga or another low impact/high mobility exercise to complement your training. BJJ/Judo/grappling tends to overdevelop certain muscle groups, which can cause problems down the line with regard to hips, backs, shoulders and knees, so being proactive with mobility and recovery work is important for older athletes.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
I have Osgood-Schlatter disease (among many other knee issues), so kneepads are a godsend if we're drilling wrestling shots that day. But yeah, as mentioned above, they'll get pulled off the instant someone puts you in half guard unless they're the low-profile kind. I use these ones and they stay in place under gi pants or spats pretty well.

That specific injury sounds like a freak occurrence; at the very least, I can't remember it happening to me in seven years, and I've caught a stray knee or elbow pretty much everywhere else at least once by now. Wear a mouthguard, kids!

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

That was all good info; thanks! I'm gonna go tonight and see how I handle it. I think it was honestly a fairly superficial injury, but I was hurting the rest of the night. Probably should have just iced it TBH. Thanks for the reminder on the mouthguard though; I DO have one but it's pretty lovely so I'm gonna grab a new one on the way to class.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I made a white belt puke from warm ups last night.

Do I get some sort of achievement?

e: Just to be clear, I didn't think it was extra rough. Others did it fine over a spectrum of fitness levels. He was either more out of shape than I thought or maybe has a bug (cold?) that didn't play nice with the exertion.

Afterwards I had a talk with all the white belts (this is adult class) and told them that a major purpose of class is to push yourselves but if you ever think you're going to get ill or faint, you can absolutely pull yourself out from whatever exercise we're doing. No BB will get upset but we might ask if its not apparent why. Class is voluntary and you should want to be here.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jan 18, 2023

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Like uh...on the mat?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Luckily no. After warm up I dismissed everyone for a quick drink of water and line back up for the #1 instructor. They did, we lined back up and started drills and then he just went out of the lineup and sat down on the side (bleachers, this school trains in a school gym), and then went to the washroom.

Another BB took him outside for some some cold winter air a few minutes later.

Never had that happen before.

Asked if he had a bit of a bug (flu, cold) but he said he didn't.... I'm not sure of that. His ~40ish old man did them just fine along with others that aren't in the best shape either.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

slidebite posted:

Luckily no. After warm up I dismissed everyone for a quick drink of water and line back up for the #1 instructor. They did, we lined back up and started drills and then he just went out of the lineup and sat down on the side (bleachers, this school trains in a school gym), and then went to the washroom.

Another BB took him outside for some some cold winter air a few minutes later.

Never had that happen before.

Asked if he had a bit of a bug (flu, cold) but he said he didn't.... I'm not sure of that. His ~40ish old man did them just fine along with others that aren't in the best shape either.

Crazy. I *did* though, find this post on my BJJ school page:
"I signed up for classes at (Jiu Jitsu place that EdsTeioh goes to) and had my first class last night. I got winded, the spins, light headed and threw up once. It was great! I’ll be going back."

(SHHH IT WAS ME THAT HE WAS ROLLING AGAINST)

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

meh, not all that uncommon. Some people need to adjust how/when they eat before hard exercise.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

This poor guy told me that he had spaghetti right before he came to class. I can't imagine.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
people throwing up or feeling nauseuous when doing something physically difficult for the first time in a while is really not that crazy

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

It's not his first class, he's been coming since late last summer.

Only other time I've seen people get physically ill was during our BB endurance pre-tests. My testing partner who is one of the fittest people I know (pretty much zero bodyfat and a high school phys-ed teacher) hurled at about the halfway point. That is not unusual for our BB candidates.

We have others in our general classes who feel lightheaded/nauseous or otherwise not great sit out from time to time due to a lot of exertion, but isn't what I'd call common. I'd say I see it once every couple months or so in the adult classes.

But it's the first time *I've* had someone sick from my instructing.

EdsTeioh posted:

This poor guy told me that he had spaghetti right before he came to class. I can't imagine.
Ask me about having 4 tacos and a couple sodas for a late lunch/early dinner about an hour before class.

That was not fun.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Lunges? Sprints? Partner drills with a 250lb white belt?? If the warm up is too hard ... Hit da bricks!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've known people who regularly throw up from exertion. There was a guy like that my old boxing gym. We'd be doing something cardio intensive and he'd sprint off at the end of the round and we'd be "???" and he was like "oh nbd I just threw up lets get back at it."

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
I have to time my pre-workout eating or I risk barfing. I can eat protein within 1 hour of a hard workout, or carbs 1.5 hours before, but any closer than that and I'll spend half my time with my head between my knees trying to manage my nausea. Hydration throughout the workout helps some if I eat without enough time to digest.

To be fair, I have a hiatal hernia and I have to manage my protein/carbs/fat at the best of times to avoid setting off digestion problems, but even before I hosed up my esophagus, the "no food within an hour of working out" timeline served me well.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Hey folks, if anyone's willing to give a little bit of life advice:

Up until a couple of weeks ago, I had never considered taking a martial art. But I'm mid 30s, live by myself, out of shape and kinda eat like crap. No real responsibilities other than 'work' and 'don't die'. I'm content with life but as I get older, pain lasts longer and mild medical maladies make me feel more vulnerable, I want to get into something for the sake of discipling myself and getting into a beneficial routine, because I'm finding it hard to even do morning calisthenics for more than a few weeks. I'm terrible at this.

For that purpose, I've decided towards finding a dojo/temple(/kwoon?) as opposed to attempting to learn by myself, and there happens to be a nearby Wing Chun place. Reading up on it, I find it the art interesting but I don't really have an intention to get into any fights, and it seems pretty focused on combat. I don't have any basis or point of reference for it (No, I haven't seen the Ip Man movies).

I'm certain if I walk in and asked about health benefits, the temple would sell me on it, but I'd rather ask this topic as a more neutral setting: even if I'm not planning to get into any fights, is Wing Chun good for a schlubby beginner to take up? Ideally, me being engaged in WC and wanting to get better at it, purely as an art/discipline, would help me willingly maintain exercises/habits that'll benefit my body in general. That's the idea, but I'm wary that starting up with a more intense/direct art (as opposed to an 'internal martial art') might be a dumb move, so any input is appreciated.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

No one really "plans" to get in fights unless you're specifically training for MMA or something. I don't have any first hand experience with WC, but one of my friends goes pretty often and says that it's a good one for "old guys like us" (we're both 47). Basically, any martial art is better than no martial art and they all have benefits. I'd just go and talk to the sifu and see if you like the vibe, then take whatever free class they offer to see if it's a good fit for you. If they DON'T offer a free class, then there's (usually) something fishy and I'd avoid it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yeah any activity >>> no activity. Just find a place that you think you're happy to hang out and get your body moving.

the red flags for any dojo or club are magic cult vibe, promotional whinging about "the streets - mma isn't real," no free class, not allowed to watch, not allowed to commit to less than a year at a time. A mysterious "you must buy your gear from us" rule is a medium red flag too.