Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Zat posted:

ITunes should have the same new 4:3 HD version now as Amazon and HBO Max do. Can't confirm by myself but that's what the internet tells me.

It does in the US at least, $70 for the series

E: it used to be the lovely DVD version but it was updated to the 4:3 remaster around the time it came out elsewhere

Eyud fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jan 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

Zat posted:

ITunes should have the same new 4:3 HD version now as Amazon and HBO Max do.
It's from the same ur-source, but all three are doing their own encoding of the masters, because they did look subtly different to me. The colors felt undersaturated in the HBO version, and the blacks and dark areas were smoother than iTunes.

Now, it's been ~8 months and all the platforms do some tweaking of the shows without ever really saying anything, so maybe the differences are less noticable now. And certainly, any of those three is going to look worlds better than any other source you can find.

But if I'm paying money for it, I'm sourcing it from Amazon.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Slyphic posted:

But if I'm paying money for it, I'm sourcing it from Amazon.

One thing to note is that, as far as I'm aware, the versions on Amazon are still missing a few minutes footage from 2 episodes, and they're not unimportant content though not crucial either. Again, can't confirm myself but if that's the case and that bothers you, it's one reason to go with Apple instead.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

We had purchased from Vudu some years ago, but I haven't checked if they are updated at all. Anyone know offhand?

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Winifred Madgers posted:

We had purchased from Vudu some years ago, but I haven't checked if they are updated at all. Anyone know offhand?

Runtime is short on s1e20, so no, looks like they, along with Amazon, are still missing scenes.

I'd have to do the comparison again to say for sure, but given the missing scenes, I think I'm changing my suggestion to iTunes.

(I also tried to check Google Play, but can't tell if s1e20 has the telltale 41m runtime that means it's lobotomated)

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Slyphic posted:

(I also tried to check Google Play, but can't tell if s1e20 has the telltale 41m runtime that means it's lobotomated)

https://b5remasterissues.wordpress.com/the-bad/ says Google Play fixed s1e20 but not s4e1. So it's a little better than Amazon/Vudu.

Zat fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 6, 2023

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Zat posted:

https://b5remasterissues.wordpress.com/the-bad/ says Google Play fixed s1e20 but not s4e1. So it's a little better than Amazon/Vudu.

I read that, and went to verify s4e1 is still short, but Gplay doesn't list individual episode details to check if that's still true. You'd have to buy it to check.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

There's also a pic out there of Jason Walker and Bill Mumy in a convertible while in makeup

A little late, but hey

I'm sure these have all been in this thread somewhere already, so sue me

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
For the last two pictures, fully half of them are gone now. It’s rough.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
A Marcus Lennier cop show would be amazing.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
On my latest watch through, I'm thinking about how they talk about how certain foods are so difficult to get on B5. Travel times are a bit vague, but it seems like in S4 when Lise visits the station to make a deal and then goes back to Mars that she leaves at night and arrives on Mars the next morning. But even if it's not that short a journey between B5 and Earth/Mars, it feels like they've forgotten about shelf-stable foods or refrigeration. I'd imagine some of the earth colonies are agricultural, so there has to be planets that are raising animals, so there have to be plenty of eggs and steaks and bacon going around. Eggs keep pretty well refrigerated, and you'd think a society that has figured out how to freeze a human and wake them up would be pretty good at freezing meats and thawing them. But no, even shelf stable products like canned anchovies or a bottle of olive oil are luxuries. Meanwhile, on the cargo ship that Franklin and Marcus take to get to Mars, half the hold is empty. There's plenty of room on these cargo ships, and plenty of advanced preservation and freezing technology to bring all the wonders of home to B5, but instead they're stuck eating flarn and blue oatmeal.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

FISHMANPET posted:

On my latest watch through, I'm thinking about how they talk about how certain foods are so difficult to get on B5. Travel times are a bit vague, but it seems like in S4 when Lise visits the station to make a deal and then goes back to Mars that she leaves at night and arrives on Mars the next morning. But even if it's not that short a journey between B5 and Earth/Mars, it feels like they've forgotten about shelf-stable foods or refrigeration. I'd imagine some of the earth colonies are agricultural, so there has to be planets that are raising animals, so there have to be plenty of eggs and steaks and bacon going around. Eggs keep pretty well refrigerated, and you'd think a society that has figured out how to freeze a human and wake them up would be pretty good at freezing meats and thawing them. But no, even shelf stable products like canned anchovies or a bottle of olive oil are luxuries. Meanwhile, on the cargo ship that Franklin and Marcus take to get to Mars, half the hold is empty. There's plenty of room on these cargo ships, and plenty of advanced preservation and freezing technology to bring all the wonders of home to B5, but instead they're stuck eating flarn and blue oatmeal.

Travel times are hard to judge and JMS largely didn’t care. But we can’t judge from Lise, who as wife of an extremely wealthy man may end up “escaping” the station by purchasing a departing transport, or from any of the military ships or fighters. There’s short commercial air flights where the plane spends longer waiting for permission to land than it does in transit; if hyperspace transit from a busy solar system involves waiting in a similar line for jumpgate passage the trip length may be more about these delays than the actual voyage. In-system time is also a probable source of delay, as the trip from Earth to the Sol gate might take as long or longer than the hyperspace leg of a journey.

At least for humanity, trade will also be very imbalanced if it’s just with other humans. Marcus’ colony was tiny, like at subsistance level, and I doubt B5 is exporting very much that it produces, instead acting as a hub for trade between species. My impression is that Ag colonies are exporting to other colonies and not to Earth/Mars, so those ships would have no reason to go to B5.

We don’t know if genuine meat is a luxury because it is an import or because synthetic meat has mainly replaced it and stuff like “real bacon” is a rare luxury even on Earth. For that matter, Earth might slap a big import tax on certain perishables coming into B5. We definitely know Earthforce isn’t big on luxury foods, especially on B5, where they started charging extra for the commander’s quarters.

The cargo hold Franklin and Marcus are in might reflect the damage Clark has done to interstellar trade, plus this is a smuggler who may focus on valuable illegal goods and not bulk. But more likely, it’s because JMS wanted cargo hold scenes and a very full hold would make it much harder to get the cameras into different angles.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I kept waiting for some bold entrepreneur to smuggle a few chickens onto the station and get rich selling the eggs.

Forget being a drug kingpin, I want to run the breakfast cartel.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

G'kar points out that the Centauri "plucked asteroids from their orbits and sent them plunging on our cities", and he contrasts this with the mass drivers, which were the thing Londo was supposedly witnessing far earlier in the series. We see, in fact, the Centauri war ships launching something out of themselves and into Narn

and this is conveyed to us (and Londo) as the genocide that occurred. But this does not portray the hurling of asteroids. Was G'kar using poetic license? Did the creators of Babylon 5 not consider all the implicit details in warfare in space? Was Babylon 5 largely a vessel for delivering really great monologues?

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Rappaport posted:

G'kar points out that the Centauri "plucked asteroids from their orbits and sent them plunging on our cities", and he contrasts this with the mass drivers, which were the thing Londo was supposedly witnessing far earlier in the series. We see, in fact, the Centauri war ships launching something out of themselves and into Narn

and this is conveyed to us (and Londo) as the genocide that occurred. But this does not portray the hurling of asteroids. Was G'kar using poetic license? Did the creators of Babylon 5 not consider all the implicit details in warfare in space? Was Babylon 5 largely a vessel for delivering really great monologues?

If you're using a mass driver, you need to get the big mass from somewhere. Asteroids in a system you're about to conquer are free, so I just assumed they used those as ammo.

I know there's more to just grabbing an asteroid and hurling it as ammo than is probably feasible, but in a hand wavy sense it works.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Right, but as a short-hand for the show, the Centauri war-ships just pooped out those blue spheres to stand in as "mass drivers". Grabbing asteroids and hurling them at a planet was not shown, but G'kar saying they did it makes about as much narrative sense as all the travel times portrayed in the show.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The first pic you posted is of an asteroid in the mass driver.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

The first pic you posted is of an asteroid in the mass driver.

The show does not establish that it is an asteroid, though, it's just a blue goop ball that comes out of that thing which is dubbed a mass driver. Grabbing an asteroid is never shown in the show.

edit: The scene from which that screenshot is from specifically makes it so that the mass driver "gun" makes a glowy lights thing, which creates the blue goop ball, which is then fired out of the gun.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I don't think they were anticipating viewers having rock blindness.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I don't understand how this is something that must be defended at all costs. Marcus sending Ivanova an egg is a joke, and it didn't really behoove the writers of the show to consider what makes and what doesn't make sense from a logistical point of view. The Centauri, as depicted in that scene, are shooting blue goop balls that are somehow within their guns, and it serves to illustrate the point that Londo is seeing that, being dismayed at what he has done, and we don't need a lesson in orbital mechanics, which would be involved in capturing asteroids!, to see that.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Rappaport posted:

The Centauri, as depicted in that scene, are shooting blue goop balls that are somehow within their guns, and it serves to illustrate the point that Londo is seeing that, being dismayed at what he has done, and we don't need a lesson in orbital mechanics, which would be involved in capturing asteroids!, to see that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bl4b37ygojw

The projectiles are clearly just big rocks. We even get a closeup of the first one. Yes, the rocks do glow for a moment after being shot, presumably due to leftover technobabble energy, but even so, you can see they're still rocks, tumbling end over end.

(If you want to nitpick something about this scene, nitpick that the rocks reach the planet WAY too quickly.)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Powered Descent posted:

I kept waiting for some bold entrepreneur to smuggle a few chickens onto the station and get rich selling the eggs.

Forget being a drug kingpin, I want to run the breakfast cartel.

That would be detected by changes in life support. At one point Ivanova was secretly growing coffee in the hydroponics section, though, and she got away with that easily enough.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Rappaport posted:

I don't understand how this is something that must be defended at all costs. Marcus sending Ivanova an egg is a joke, and it didn't really behoove the writers of the show to consider what makes and what doesn't make sense from a logistical point of view. The Centauri, as depicted in that scene, are shooting blue goop balls that are somehow within their guns, and it serves to illustrate the point that Londo is seeing that, being dismayed at what he has done, and we don't need a lesson in orbital mechanics, which would be involved in capturing asteroids!, to see that.

It's not defense as much as I don't understand what you're confused about. You're saying there's no asteroid and it's a "blue goop ball", but:

The asteroid is right there in the picture you posted.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Powered Descent posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bl4b37ygojw

The projectiles are clearly just big rocks. We even get a closeup of the first one. Yes, the rocks do glow for a moment after being shot, presumably due to leftover technobabble energy, but even so, you can see they're still rocks, tumbling end over end.

(If you want to nitpick something about this scene, nitpick that the rocks reach the planet WAY too quickly.)

It is all just "space wizard did it", but asteroids have their own orbital elements, and momentum, and so on, which can't just be shoved into a cannon that shoots blue goop balls. It's fine that the Centauri have blue goop balls, but it is a narrative disjoint for G'kar to call them asteroids. None of this diminishes what the show wants to portray.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

It's not defense as much as I don't understand what you're confused about. You're saying there's no asteroid and it's a "blue goop ball", but:

The asteroid is right there in the picture you posted.

You can't just pick up a thing out of orbit like that. I know it's out of fashion nowadays, but Babylon five made a name for itself back in the day for having believable physics. If your argument is that the Centauri, here, are just breaking physics for the sake of the story, that's great! The sake of the story is what drove the weird travel times, too!

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I'm not sure I get what the confusion is, but also there can be a world of difference between a nudged asteroid landing on a planet and one shot from a mass driver. So even if the projectile is the same, they aren't always going to have the same energy on impact.

Rappaport posted:

You can't just pick up a thing out of orbit like that.

If you can move a ship that is many times the mass of the asteroid, then yes you can just do that.

CainFortea fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 18, 2023

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Rappaport posted:

It is all just "space wizard did it", but asteroids have their own orbital elements, and momentum, and so on, which can't just be shoved into a cannon that shoots blue goop balls. It's fine that the Centauri have blue goop balls, but it is a narrative disjoint for G'kar to call them asteroids. None of this diminishes what the show wants to portray.

They. Have. Spaceships. They went out and found some space rocks of about the right size. They flew up to those rocks, grabbed them, and put them in the mass driver cannons. Then they flew to Narn and shot them at the planet.

Why are you insisting that none of this could have happened unless they showed us the orbital mechanics calculations?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Rappaport posted:

You can't just pick up a thing out of orbit like that. I know it's out of fashion nowadays, but Babylon five made a name for itself back in the day for having believable physics. If your argument is that the Centauri, here, are just breaking physics for the sake of the story, that's great! The sake of the story is what drove the weird travel times, too!

They landed on the asteroids and slowed them with centauri asteroid slowing devices, then chopped them up to be used as projectiles with centauri asteroid chopping up devices. I talked to jms and he confirmed this is how it happened.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Powered Descent posted:

They. Have. Spaceships. They went out and found some space rocks of about the right size. They flew up to those rocks, grabbed them, and put them in the mass driver cannons. Then they flew to Narn and shot them at the planet.

Why are you insisting that none of this could have happened unless they showed us the orbital mechanics calculations?

I started out on this voyage of discovery trying to illustrate how non-sensical travel times happened. Apparently, I failed. It takes a lot of momentum and a lot of mass-energy to divert asteroids from their orbits. It's fine that this was treated as a no-consequence, since a lot of other things were, too. And we know they have pew-pew guns that do not make any sense anyway, and artificial gravity, so I guess bitching about travel times is more valid than discussing asteroid bombardment :shrug:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

sebmojo posted:

They landed on the asteroids and slowed them with centauri asteroid slowing devices, then chopped them up to be used as projectiles with centauri asteroid chopping up devices. I talked to jms and he confirmed this is how it happened.

Right, and Marcus getting someone eggs was performed similarly! :)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Centauri ships have inertial dampening, artificial gravity, FTL engines, infinite delta-v. They can do whatever they want.

The fact that Starfuries follow Newtonian mechanics is cool but doesn't mean Bablyon 5 is realistic.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

Centauri ships have inertial dampening, artificial gravity, FTL engines, infinite delta-v. They can do whatever they want.

The fact that Starfuries follow Newtonian mechanics is cool but doesn't mean Bablyon 5 is realistic.

Right! So travel times not making sense are not a deal-breaker.

Or I guess they are.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Powered Descent posted:

Yes, the rocks do glow for a moment after being shot, presumably due to leftover technobabble energy

Addressed by JMS:

quote:

As for the mass drivers, the amount of energy required to move something that big would generate huge amounts of heat, possibly making them even white-hot hence the glow.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Rappaport posted:

Right! So travel times not making sense are not a deal-breaker.

Or I guess they are.

I don't know what you're talking about but fight the power

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I fought the power, and the space lasers won. Sorry for being a bother, everyone!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
B5 is not hard science fiction even if it has the occasional harder-than-usual element.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.
I'm going to break into this riveting conversation to reflect upon that one time the Vorlons finished the Dilgar xenocide and Kosh went "lol what" and left.

I kind of wish they had had time to review the aftermath of that. A bunch of diplomats having to tell their governments that no, there really wasn't anything anyone can do, it's the loving Vorlons.

Gyrotica fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 18, 2023

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

babylon 5 is a good show to watch and enjoy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Rappaport posted:

They launched asteroids, it's free ammo. :shrug: