Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

:lol: Two days in a row of middle school-level FJ questions missed by all three contestants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
So uh, did The Fablemans have a release that got pushed back, because I've never heard of it (and obviously no one has seen it)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Iron Crowned posted:

So uh, did The Fablemans have a release that got pushed back, because I've never heard of it (and obviously no one has seen it)

It came out in theaters in November.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
i think betting to leave yourself absolutely dead for first place is incredibly brave and more people should do it

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Love guessing what Final is going to be about as soon as they reveal the category. Tonight I said "Mimal Man!" and "Homes!"

And got the actual question right, wtf people

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

The movie looked super trite and stupid, so that might have had something to do with it

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah, seems like most people pegged it as a Spielberg vanity project and another movie about making movies and it didn't make much of a splash outside of film nerds. Swing and a miss, but I guess they're calling their shots early.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Clearly Jeopardy thought The Fablemans would have legs because Spielberg but landed with a wet thud.

As for Final, has anyone looked at a map of the US before? Bonus for the new champ not even paying attention to the clue and choosing a state that doesn't fit the criteria.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

CPColin posted:

Love guessing what Final is going to be about as soon as they reveal the category. Tonight I said "Mimal Man!" and "Homes!"

And got the actual question right, wtf people

I've honestly never heard of this guy before. I wonder if it's because I'm not from a mimal state.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I’m Canadian and literally use MIMAL man to identify half the Midwest states.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I'd never heard of that mimal thing and I'm terrible as picturing maps in my head so I had no chance.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Never heard of MIMAL but the clue talking about a "chef" gave it to me with no trouble heh. Champ's wager was terrible but she didn't get it anyway.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

"what state is between missouri and lousiana, also it starts with an A" is not one of the tougher FJs lately but it's something people might have a blind spot for

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

zakharov posted:

I'd never heard of that mimal thing and I'm terrible as picturing maps in my head, so I had no chance.

Never heard of it, so I looked up a map after. I kind of see it, I guess

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

HookShot posted:

I’m Canadian and literally use MIMAL man to identify half the Midwest states.

:same:

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Never heard of that acronym in my life, but I had seen those states highlighted and colored in on a map:

That said, I just couldn't get Alabama out of my head for 'A' either. Aside from the Clintons and stuff in the 90s, it's usually such a non-state in US politics most of the time.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I'm beginning to think they put a couple of clues about the Vidalia onion on the board each year because they know it annoys me to hear it pronounced dail instead of day.

On the flip side, Ken worked hard today to get something reasonably funny out of contestant #3's interview.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I'm beginning to think they put a couple of clues about the Vidalia onion on the board each year because they know it annoys me to hear it pronounced dail instead of day.

On the flip side, Ken worked hard today to get something reasonably funny out of contestant #3's interview.

Ha, I have in-laws there and can confirm it's "vah-day-yuh." I think I've probably even said that here before.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Troy real good, as expected.

Being a LL champ and all… will be fun to see how far he goes.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Chase: Nice going, Spokes. It was a great episode. Buzzy just fell apart at the end there! At least you just got to yell out Batman on national television, too.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Spokes posted:

(also, three days until i play the chase. whatever)

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

It’s weird that they had two Ray Harroun/Indy 500 questions on the chase and celebrity jeopardy on the same day.

I see this sometimes on crosswords too, but it’s usually “crosswordese”. Ray Harroun is pretty obscure. I only know it because I live in Indianapolis

Edit: it might not have been the chase it might have been a rerun of Cash Cab I was watching earlier today

mlnhd fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jan 20, 2023

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I liked the episode a few days ago when they had 2 question in a row that could have been answered with "What is W?" and I'm mad the contestants didn't do that

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

FrumpleOrz posted:

The Chase: Nice going, Spokes. It was a great episode. Buzzy just fell apart at the end there! At least you just got to yell out Batman on national television, too.

yeah i think my game show luck has finally turned around--at least, i'm not allowed to complain anymore :)

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Hell yes dude! Congrats!!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
As a Georgia inhabitant, still cringing at the pronunciation of "Vidalia".

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

https://twitter.com/megreenwell/status/1617526582868054031?t=7QpcTScha9Vwoh5FCqAybg&s=19

Apparently Yogesh is extremely mad online but I can't figure out why. He was a multi day champion but he feels disrespected?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

zakharov posted:

https://twitter.com/megreenwell/status/1617526582868054031?t=7QpcTScha9Vwoh5FCqAybg&s=19

Apparently Yogesh is extremely mad online but I can't figure out why. He was a multi day champion but he feels disrespected?
When your whole identity revolves around viewing yourselves as king poo poo of something, you develop a brittle little ego. Your identity gets so fractured that you're convinced everyone must be talking about you behind your back, because it's what you would do. MENSA version of incel

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I knew right away who that was going to be

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I knew right away who that was going to be

Is it the dude who said he beat James at some quiz bowl?

edit: lol it is

1glitch0 fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jan 23, 2023

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

It's not entirely wrong to say that the Jeopardy format isn't designed to find the best trivia knower in the world. It's television. A "rational" format wouldn't have daily doubles, Final Jeopardy, or a buzzer. Plenty of excellent trivia players have been one and done. But his beef seems to be that not everyone likes him which is a risk you take when you appear on television.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I think the ideal J! anecdote is a humblebrag, but all three of Yogesh's stories were just brag-brags, which was off putting.

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
There was also the moment when someone got the daily double question and he audibly sighed at how easy it was. You could see the person look over to his podium.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Reading through some of his other recent posts, it seems his demeanor can be broadly described as "having a normal one" and "definitely not mad, actually laughing at the whole thing, and maybe you're the one who's mad actually."

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Is Yogesh the Elon Musk of Jeopardy! contestants?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

I try not to read into people's demeanor when they're on the show, nobody is their best self under that kind of stress, but yikes at doing this with months of time to think about it.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

zakharov posted:

didn’t qualify for ToC

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Lmao

https://twitter.com/KitTalksSports/status/1617544741163253761?t=vmAmRzvoMFsEX_OThxu1dw&s=19

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

The Sean fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jan 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Feeling quite vindicated in my saying during his first episode, "This guy knows his poo poo but is getting really mad at the buzzer. He doesn't seem to enjoy being there or playing the game like the other contestants who just had their dreams crushed did."

Dude clearly thought he was destined to finally break Ken's record and didn't even get a TOC invite. Maybe he should have actually trained with the buzzer instead of whining that it exists.