Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Stuporstar posted:

I have a little dish specifically for this because I don’t like throwing tea leaves in my compost when they’re super wet (and also some leaves can be resteeped). They make cute little tea bag dishes that also work for infusers, but I just went to a Chinese import store and bought a nice sauce dish for a dollar

I just use a gaiwan and keep the leaves in it until done. For the mess I have a folded tea towel and all is good.

I have been enjoying some shou puerhs from a local vendor of late--the one large cake comes from a small organic producer and its a nice smooth tea, whereas the other is like liquid mesquite smoke. The latter comes in 100g bings, and a tong is only like $75 CDN. Lovely to have easy to access options!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Trabant posted:

Awesome! Post a review when you get a chance please :)

If you do like licorice (I only do when I'm sick because... :iiam:) I found that the hideously-named Throat Coat works well.

+1 for throat coat.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

H110Hawk posted:

<<review posts>>

Thank you :tipshat:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Thoht posted:

+1 for throat coat.

Seconding throat coat. I forget what the instructions are for it, but ignore them. Steep the tea for 20 minutes, and be sure to wring out as much of the syrup-whatever out of the bag as you can, since that's what actually does the soothing. And sip it slowly.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

PacketCharmer posted:

That just seems like it'd be a hopeless cacophony of flavors. Did they clash or somehow harmonize?

Pretty good actually. I brew it at 195 F so the green tea doesn't get bitter and honestly the mix of flower and a little fruit is pretty refreshing. It doesn't have that overwhelming flavor that flower petal tisanes can have.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

neogeo0823 posted:

Seconding throat coat. I forget what the instructions are for it, but ignore them. Steep the tea for 20 minutes, and be sure to wring out as much of the syrup-whatever out of the bag as you can, since that's what actually does the soothing. And sip it slowly.

same

Going to have some Tension Tamer now though, because tension needs taming!

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace
I'll be in Manila for the holidays. Any recommendations for a tea shop in the metro area? I've been to TWG there on a previous trip and they have good stuff, hoping to check out other options too.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I accidentally ordered the wrong tea from Upton ; I ordered China Yin Zhen Bai Hao Downy White Pekoe when I meant to order Jasmine Yin Zhen. Can I just add dried jasmine flowers to the tea leaves, or is scenting tea with jasmine an involved process? And if I can add jasmine flowers myself, can anybody recommend a good food-safe vendor?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I accidentally ordered the wrong tea from Upton ; I ordered China Yin Zhen Bai Hao Downy White Pekoe when I meant to order Jasmine Yin Zhen. Can I just add dried jasmine flowers to the tea leaves, or is scenting tea with jasmine an involved process? And if I can add jasmine flowers myself, can anybody recommend a good food-safe vendor?

I like bulk herbs and dried things from Starwest Botanicals and Frontier Co-op so far. You can add dried jasmine yourself to the tea pot while steeping.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Currently I get most of my tea from The Tao of Tea (I live near their shop) and Yunnan Sourcing. What are some other sites that have a large selection of good tea? Yunnan Sourcing has a really impressive variety but I want to shop around.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I’ve been really happy with TeaVivre for about a year now

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010
I primarily drink black tea. The most reliable tea merchant I've purchased from so far has been https://what-cha.com/. Every tea I've bought from them, even the "mystery teas", have been just top notch. https://www.uptontea.com/ has also been fairly reliable for me, but I mostly just buy single estate Darjeeling and Assam teas from them.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
I'm new to the thread but not to tea, but I just wanted a quick pulse check from the group. I noticed that Harney and Sons isn't mentioned particularly often - is there a reason? We've discovered that their green teas are pretty bad, but have generally enjoyed their black tea options. Not sure if there are similarly priced but way more recommended places, they're fine by most accounts, or if they kill puppies or something.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I've been unimpressed with Harney And Sons. Their rooibos had very little flavor, same with the pu-erh I tried. The gunpowder green always tastes bitter no matter how I steep it. The milk oolong didn't impress me either.

I like Adagio's stuff much better. I haven't tried any other vendors.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Alucard posted:

I'm new to the thread but not to tea, but I just wanted a quick pulse check from the group. I noticed that Harney and Sons isn't mentioned particularly often - is there a reason? We've discovered that their green teas are pretty bad, but have generally enjoyed their black tea options. Not sure if there are similarly priced but way more recommended places, they're fine by most accounts, or if they kill puppies or something.

I've only tried harney's earl grey but I've found it pretty tasty. I mostly get stuff from teavivre though, I haven't gotten a tea from them I haven't loved.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I'm a big fan of Harney, with the caveat that I only drink their black teas, almost always of Indian origin and flavoured. Couldn't tell you what their other offerings are like.

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010
I've tried a few unflavored black tea blends from Harney & Sons and found them uninteresting. I did like Brigitte's Blend, though, and I still buy that one. Don't know about their flavored teas, but their Paris blend seems to be very popular and always gets rave reviews.

If you are interesting in Darjeeling teas, you can give https://www.thunderbolttea.com/ a try, but don't expect any communication from the company at all, and it might take a couple of months before they ship your order. But so far the single estate Darjeeling teas I've gotten from them have been very nice.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
H&S isn't overpriced, but they cater to the Teavana crowd with their blends mostly. Which can be fine, but they can be really boring because of it. If that's your jam though, drink it up. The prices are pretty good for daily drinking.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
I basically get the Malachi McCormick and my wife digs the Paris - but we're open to other options. We'll probably give Adagio a shot soon, but have a local chinese tea shop that we stocked up on jasmine and genmaicha recently.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Currently I get most of my tea from The Tao of Tea (I live near their shop) and Yunnan Sourcing. What are some other sites that have a large selection of good tea? Yunnan Sourcing has a really impressive variety but I want to shop around.

https://www.teabox.com/ is great for Indian teas.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I really like Harney and Sons Paris. For sure give that a try if you like flavored black tea.

taters
Jun 13, 2005

I've gradually stopped sourcing tea from western middlemen companies with the exception of Taylor's. Chinese tea from China, Indian tea from India. Most have a small forwarder/logistics partner here in the US, or have their own NA distro business. Yunnan sourcing has probably got the best Chinese stuff right now. Prices, after crashing in 2020, are back up with a vengeance. Adding in yet another beak to wet on its way to the consumer just makes this worse. I'm mostly talking about the high end here.

Tea that was steady around 200 usd/lb from 2015-2020 like a competition Bi Lo Chun, Ti Guan Yin, or Da Hong Pao, dipped to about ~140 in 2020-2021. This year those same teas from the same plantations are 280-330 usd/lb directly from China. I've seen them on western dealers sites for $400+/lb. This mostly applies to greens and oolongs, puerh prices never really dipped or increased over covid except at the lower end of the market.

I had my first instance of actual tea fraud last month. A confirmed fake Menghai 7531 2012 Sheng. I even emailed back and forth with dealer and Menghai reps and sent high def photos of the packaging, seals, and leaves. It was absolute trash tea too. It looked correct but I could actually tell by handling the still wrapped cake something was wrong. They (supposedly) shipped me a sampler as a gesture of goodwill.

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009
I've hit up some tea shops in the area recently and did some tastings in-store. Why do their teas always taste so much better than what I make at home?

They could be using better teas; I'm not sure. At home I just have the Oolong sampler and a Jin Jun Mei from Yunnan Sourcing, which I'm assuming means they're not bad but they're not top-tier either.

Is it because of the water? At I have a Zojirushi hot water dispenser that I make tea out of, and it's perma set at 195.

Are you supposed to brew with distilled water, or is my slightly hard water okay (I mean, I suppose spring water is slightly hard...)?

I usually fill my finum filter until it's about 1/2 inch in height. I first rinse the leaves with hot water (but I usually don't bother pre-rinsing the mug or anything else), and then brew for about 3-4 minutes for the first brewing. Then I kinda make it up for subsequent brewings (though by the 3rd infusion it starts tasting like chewed bubble gum water). The tea shops usually do gongfu style -- could that be the reason? When we were visiting NYC we swung by Floating Mountain, and they had some Jin Jun Mei that kept on trucking after like 10 infusions, it was incredible. That one was pretty expensive though.

Edit: Oh yeah, I did finally get to try a few Old Tree ones at various tea shops. And oh man, without fail they have all been godly.

facepalmolive fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jan 12, 2023

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I usually do something like 1 minute for first flush and about half that for second flush because the leaves are more opened up. Then just keep going more time until I get tired of the tea not having flavor.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

facepalmolive posted:

Are you supposed to brew with distilled water, or is my slightly hard water okay (I mean, I suppose spring water is slightly hard...)?

Do you have treated water? Chlorine, fluoride, and iron are reactive and no bueno, calcium carbonate hardness is fine.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

facepalmolive posted:

I've hit up some tea shops in the area recently and did some tastings in-store. Why do their teas always taste so much better than what I make at home?

different teas brew best at varying temperatures, and it's basically impossible to hit these perfect points for all of the different teas unless you have 1) one of those fancy kettles where you can set the temperature or 2) a thermometer and a lot of free time. you'll also see glassware used to serve tea samples in stores, and tea tastes better in glass, as the tannins have less texture to stick to, and thus they stay in the tea, giving it a stronger flavour.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

w4ddl3d33 posted:

and tea tastes better in glass, as the tannins have less texture to stick to, and thus they stay in the tea, giving it a stronger flavour.

my semi-glazed tea mug is doing me dirty, I see!

(it’s also a pain to get fully clean, but I mostly drink black tea clear so I just rinse and go for most of the week)

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
humans also let appearance, ambience, mood, whatever affect how much they like things, so like...at least for me, the tea always tastes better in the shop then when it's like 7:51 in the morning and i have a meeting in half an hour and ow ow ow i poured hot water on my hand

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
I’m jumping deeper into the world of tea, and ordering a gaiwan and some puehr tea. I checked out Yunnan sourcing as well. Is there a difference between ceramic and porcelain gaiwans? What types of tea should I get? I like pretty much all kinds of tea, though I’m not a fan of ones like white tea.
I have an electric hot water heater that I use to prepare tea currently. I think the brand is Zojirushi. It’s able to be set for multiple different temperatures, and it seems very well-insulated.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Unglazed ceramic is porous and supposedly muting, in that it files off harsh flavors, so people will say it's ideal for stuff like high fire oolongs or really weird puerhs. Porcelain isn't porous and gets you a neutral profile. In practice I genuinely don't think I could tell the difference in a triangle test and you should get whatever you think you'd like to own more.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Can anyone recommend more teas along the lines of Adagio's Yunnan Noir? I can't go back to English / Scottish breakfast teas any more.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

tokenbrownguy posted:

Can anyone recommend more teas along the lines of Adagio's Yunnan Noir? I can't go back to English / Scottish breakfast teas any more.

Yunnan Sourcing will have a bunch of options in that type under their Black tea category. https://yunnansourcing.com/collecti..._BoClQQQAvD_BwE

Teavivre.com will also have a bunch of options. I’m not sure what that Adagio tea really is, or we might be able to give you more precise advice on which one is closest. Maybe a bi luo chun, or at least that looks to be the shape of it.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

tokenbrownguy posted:

That would be golden snail https://www.teavivre.com/dian-hong-golden-snail-black-tea.html

Very similar flavor to golden monkey, if you’re looking for more options.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Jhet posted:

Yunnan Sourcing will have a bunch of options in that type under their Black tea category. https://yunnansourcing.com/collecti..._BoClQQQAvD_BwE

Teavivre.com will also have a bunch of options. I’m not sure what that Adagio tea really is, or we might be able to give you more precise advice on which one is closest. Maybe a bi luo chun, or at least that looks to be the shape of it.

Stuporstar posted:

That would be golden snail https://www.teavivre.com/dian-hong-golden-snail-black-tea.html

Very similar flavor to golden monkey, if you’re looking for more options.

I've tried Golden Monkey, but it's a bit pricey for everyday drinking. I'll order some samplers and see if I can find something to expand the repertoire. Thanks folks.

tokenbrownguy fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 26, 2023

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

tokenbrownguy posted:

I've tried Golden Monkey, but it's a bit pricey for everyday drinking. I'll order some samplers and see if I can find something to expand the repertoire. Thanks folks.

Unlike English black tea blends, these will also taste good with multiple steeps. I get 3-5 in a day no problem with a western style steep.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
trying to make a better dr pepper, so i've used two and a half cups of my rooibos starter booch, a third of a cup brewed cinnamon tea, a half tablespoon mixed peppercorns, and a third of a cup crushed lapins cherries. will keep you all posted on my project, which i've affectionately named Dr Pepper, PhD, Microbiologist

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I have a dumb, super-noob question but is there any difference, flavor-wise, between English Breakfast and English Afternoon? A friend of mine brewed some Afternoon tea for me that she got at Buckingham Palace that was super good but my local grocery store seems to only have Breakfast (from brands like Twinings, Stash, etc). I tried looking online but the closest difference I could see is that Breakfast tea is "stronger" but I'm not sure what they mean by that.

Sorry, I know grocery store tea bags are probably frowned upon here but I'm on a bit of a budget right now :shobon: I really like Twinings' Lady Grey tea and am a big fan of Earl Grey in general. I'm not sure what brand Buckingham Palace sells...I'm willing to bet it's probably Twinings, or something, but I didn't check. In any case, I just really loved the flavor of the Afternoon tea and was wondering if Breakfast tea's flavor was similar.

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 13, 2023

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Happy Landfill posted:

I have a dumb, super-noob question but is there any difference, flavor-wise, between English Breakfast and English Afternoon? A friend of mine brewed some Afternoon tea for me that she got at Buckingham Palace that was super good but my local grocery store seems to only have Breakfast (from brands like Twinings, Stash, etc). I tried looking online but the closest difference I could see is that Breakfast tea is "stronger" but I'm not sure what they mean by that.

Sorry, I know grocery store tea bags are probably frowned upon here but I'm on a bit of a budget right now :shobon: I really like Twinings' Lady Grey tea and am a big fan of Earl Grey in general. I'm not sure what brand Buckingham Palace sells...I'm willing to bet it's probably Twinings, or something, but I didn't check. In any case, I just really loved the flavor of the Afternoon tea and was wondering if Breakfast tea's flavor was similar.

It will taste different depending on the blend of tea put in the mix. There is no standard recipe across companies or named types, so find one that you like and drink that one. My favorite budget bag tea is Yorkshire Gold. Just try them one box at a time, and keep buying the box that you like the most.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
That's good to know! Thank you! Been really liking Stash and Twinings, so I'll give theirs a try. Unless there's other budget brands that Goons recommend?

I started drinking tea again after inheriting an electric kettle from someone and it's been really great! As much as I enjoy coffee, there's just something about tea that makes me feel...better? I guess. Not that coffee makes me feel bad or anything, I just feel like I don't crash from tea the way I did with coffee.

tea doesn't seem to go though me as much as coffee does, either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Not crashing might be because of the l-theanine in tea.

I drink a lot of tea and take l-theanine as a supplement for anxiety and to help me sleep.

Taking it in a 2:1 ratio to caffeine (I add 200mg to any coffee I drink) helps calm the coffee jitters and prevents the crash.

Also, Twinings Oolong bagged tea is one of my favorites. I was disappointed with their loose leaf Earl Grey though.