Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
All the Stamps are in a bad spot right now. Their objective is to make you poise and health tank using the first half of the move, where you gain alot of poise health and damage reduction. Except it's still not enough, bosses just hit far too hard for Stamp to be useful, you're better off rolling. And the second half of the move, the attack, comes out far too slow.

You're better off with things like Giant Hunt and Lion's Claw for these kinds of big weapon hit super attack ashes of war.

lite_sleepr posted:

How on earth can I not kill mohg with a plus ten Godfrey axe, flame grant me strength, golden vow, erdtree blessing, and my physik?

How am I only getting 854 AR with the aforementioned while having 65 str?

Is mohg a big tough boss?

Oh wait, this summon just used the Kamehameha spell and three shot him while I bonked him

I want to be a mage now. Again.

FYI Godfrey Axe isn't a Strength weapon, it's a Quality weapon. It is actually optimal with a mix of Strength and Dex.

Mohg is actually pretty tough to fight with Colossal Weapons (in fact that weapon class is kind of lacking overall, it's too slow to be truly viable). Colossal Swords like the Greatsword are much more viable and much easier to use. And Axe of Godfrey's weapon art is for styling on bad players and the pve, it's not top tier at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Well, I've now activated almost every single martyr effigy in the game apart from the ones in azula, meaning I can theoretically be summoned almost anywhere. Trying to keep my level no higher than 85 and my weapons no higher than +20 so I can still be summoned to lower end stuff. I've helped people kill so many bosses and had so many fun moments communicating through weird gestures. One guy kept dropping items for me as we tooled around leyendell just killing stuff. I'm gonna just keep this as a co op character for whenever I feel like it.

Only problem now is fire giant. He shits all over my fingerprint greatshield and poke build, so all my stamina is useless. I think I'm going to break my no summons rule for him and use mimic tear. Trying that with antspur rapier helped me get him down to about a quarter, so maybe I'll be able to get him in a few more tries. Really annoying boss that I'm sure I'll get summoned to a bunch and die immediately.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

Well, I've now activated almost every single martyr effigy in the game apart from the ones in azula, meaning I can theoretically be summoned almost anywhere. Trying to keep my level no higher than 85 and my weapons no higher than +20 so I can still be summoned to lower end stuff. I've helped people kill so many bosses and had so many fun moments communicating through weird gestures. One guy kept dropping items for me as we tooled around leyendell just killing stuff. I'm gonna just keep this as a co op character for whenever I feel like it.

Only problem now is fire giant. He shits all over my fingerprint greatshield and poke build, so all my stamina is useless. I think I'm going to break my no summons rule for him and use mimic tear. Trying that with antspur rapier helped me get him down to about a quarter, so maybe I'll be able to get him in a few more tries. Really annoying boss that I'm sure I'll get summoned to a bunch and die immediately.

He does? I would have thought a greatshield build would be extremely useful against his massive physical attacks, provided you're smart enough to only raise it when you see them coming. His fire attacks, meanwhile, you can just dodge or run away from.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Just found this thread! I played at release but ultimately put the game down because I felt like I was cheesing my way through with a caster.

I picked it back up in December and decided to go straight unga bunga / faith with the Heavy Claymore and Impaling Thrust. I killed the Fire Giant two days ago and found Mohg yesterday.

Game is cool and good and I really enjoy both the fairly static difficulty but also the sense of accomplishment from beating a boss I struggle with. I don't like that of all the weapons I find, none of them seem to be able to beat the reach I get from Impaling Thrust or the comforting moveset of the Heavy Claymore (+20).

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I started over a little while ago and have been piecemealing my way through (I just got through Stormveil last night after four days of playing in, like, 10-15-minute chunks). Going with a straight-up Strength build and haven't drifted away from the Morning Star. Feels pretty good, but I'm sure it's all going to bite me in the rear end eventually.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Toaster Beef posted:

I started over a little while ago and have been piecemealing my way through (I just got through Stormveil last night after four days of playing in, like, 10-15-minute chunks). Going with a straight-up Strength build and haven't drifted away from the Morning Star. Feels pretty good, but I'm sure it's all going to bite me in the rear end eventually.

It's a great weapon - strike damage is powerful, plus it has natural bleed. It just doesn't have much in the way of range. Later in the game you will find bigger, heavier spiky clubs you can swap to if you want to though.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Toaster Beef posted:

the morningstar has thrusting moves unique among hammer weapons on the running heavy, rolling, and backstep attacks, using them effectively makes it one of the best small hammers

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Nothing more important than a weapon feeling good to use! If it feels great take it all the way to the end.

Felt sad today when I realized I can't learn to fight Malenia again. Guess I'll be fighting her again sooner than I thought. Some nerdy videogames "Alexander wept" stuff. Two more ending clears that I can drag out awhile but it's sad to know I've cleared the map for real this time.

It's really funny to absolutely roll only demolish ER now and realize how hard Malenia trained me to get better. What a nice lady.

But hey I'm definitely in the mood for at least a Souls 3 replay. When you're thinking about the best bosses in the series you get the urge to throw down with Gael again. Also wondering if I'll warm to Friede, by the time I clawed that win out I was glad to never "have" to do it again.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jan 18, 2023

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

the morningstar has thrusting moves unique among hammer weapons on the running heavy, rolling, and backstep attacks, using them effectively makes it one of the best small hammers

Not quite unique, Gideon's Scepter shares it.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

7c Nickel posted:

Not quite unique, Gideon's Scepter shares it.

yeah but you can't get that one until the game's practically over

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

You can lure placiducks to the edge of the arena where they'll have a harder time getting far enough from you to do their mega-ultra-breath attack. They'll still do it, but their aim will be all off and you can beat the crap out of them while it's happening.

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Kind of disappointing that it's a strictly end game build, but working on the finishing touches of my RoB samurai character and (old news I know but) this thing slaps.

Made it most of the way through the game powerstancing blood uchis, swapped it for Elenoras Poleblade and Godskin Peeler for a bit for funsies, and all that was pretty good.

Now I'm rocking RoB with Carian Filigree crest, Sacrificial Axe on the offhand, and the Mohg Talisman to increase power on bleed. Stack Seppuku on that when I want to be extra. Still need Millicent's talisman (chain attack boost), Shard of Alexander, and White mask to take it from "lol broken" to "lol hyper broken".

Even now though, I can just Yolo into groups of Haligtree soldiers and start spamming the weapon art, no effort, all samurai.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Lol, this is the exactly as far as my lower level co-op/invasion build could get. Every time I'm summoned for the fire giant I simply use the collapse to knees gesture. We'll never accomplish it so long as hosts keep getting obliterated by him.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

One thing I highly recommend with a co-op heavy playthrough is to NOT hit the effigies by gargoyles, Radahn, Rykard, or Fire Giant unless you REALLY like those fights. You'll be very popular among the people who need help there but you personally will be getting a lot of summons where the host dies in a single hit they didn't try dodging

DrHammond posted:

Kind of disappointing that it's a strictly end game build, but working on the finishing touches of my RoB samurai character and (old news I know but) this thing slaps.

Made it most of the way through the game powerstancing blood uchis, swapped it for Elenoras Poleblade and Godskin Peeler for a bit for funsies, and all that was pretty good.

Now I'm rocking RoB with Carian Filigree crest, Sacrificial Axe on the offhand, and the Mohg Talisman to increase power on bleed. Stack Seppuku on that when I want to be extra. Still need Millicent's talisman (chain attack boost), Shard of Alexander, and White mask to take it from "lol broken" to "lol hyper broken".

Even now though, I can just Yolo into groups of Haligtree soldiers and start spamming the weapon art, no effort, all samurai.

One fun thing that you may not want to actually do because it's pretty cheesy, unless it's been fixed in this most recent patch, is that "X on kill" effects like from the axe will also trigger from red bloodstains you activate

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 18, 2023

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

He does? I would have thought a greatshield build would be extremely useful against his massive physical attacks, provided you're smart enough to only raise it when you see them coming. His fire attacks, meanwhile, you can just dodge or run away from.

His overhead shield slam you can't block, and for everything else you have to be oriented correctly, which is really tricky with his size and the camera. It's better to just run in, get some stabs then run away. Second phase is a bit easier.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

One thing I highly recommend with a co-op heavy playthrough is to NOT hit the effigies by gargoyles, Radahn, Rykard, or Fire Giant unless you REALLY like those fights. You'll be very popular among the people who need help there but you personally will be getting a lot of summons where the host dies in a single hit they didn't try dodging

Gargoyles and radahn haven't been too bad, had a pretty good win rate, but I don't mind that much when the host dies, it's usually funny at least.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Grayshift posted:

My continuing +0 upgrade has finally hit a boss I'm stuck at. Double Nokron gargoyles. I can handle one alright enough playing very safe, but I don't have the damage to burst one of these dodgy fuckers at 50%. I might be able to handle two if it weren't for the massive poison barf fields swamping me from off screen.

Finished the rest of Nokron at least, and moved onto Altus and Gelmir for now. Maybe I'll hit on something that will save me from having to finally upgrade. At the very least the Raptors Black Feathers are good to have.

Can you still get one to yeet itself off the cliff?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Dodge the effigy in Patches' cave too unless you wanna watch them die for a laff, amazing how many bloodstains are in that boss room. Good advice for Rykard at least, I like the challenge of Radahn and Fire Giant enough to get summoned for them. Hell, I like the Fire Giant fight. Why are Gargoyles so bad?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It's all down to whatever fights you like, mostly I'd recommend not hitting them until you've run through it and given it some thought. Gargoyles aren't bad on their own - once you've got them figured they're easy to beat - but it's a sweet spot where people who need help are very likely to need far more help than you can provide or communicate. My kingdom for a "LEVEL VIGOR" Prattling Pate. It also means it will absolutely dominate your summons so worth keeping in mind if you like a good mix of bosses and level clearing and the like

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Is there a way to unset martyr effigy things? I probably shouldn’t be volunteering to help with a bunch of these fights that I haven’t actually managed to complete.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I really only want bosses and I regret hitting every statue I came across in limgrave. I didn't know! I imagine I'll outlevel then eventually but I'm sick of helping someone fullclear those early little tombs and caves.

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Counterpoint: Getting summoned into Costal Cave or to defeat the Sentinel at the start, at RL110, is a fun diversion and a satisfying smackdown.

I don't know WHY you summoned me, but sure, let's wreck this guy.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
I like doing the random tombs and caves for a change, my favourite part is just having no idea where I'll end up when I get summoned. 90% of the time it's at least entertaining, and sometimes you just have a great time doing synchronized gestures

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I don't mind where I'm summoned, I just like a variety. I learned a lesson with my first co-op playthrough guy when after like level 145 I was mostly getting summons to people who'd die in one hit to Godfrey, which sucks because it's my favorite fight. I should change my name to JUST STAY ALIVE

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
I love Godfrey with my build, I can just stand in front of him with my fingerprint shield and he can't touch me. Shabriris woe helps with your host not getting in the way.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

DrHammond posted:

Counterpoint: Getting summoned ... to defeat the Sentinel at the start, at RL110, is a fun diversion and a satisfying smackdown.

I don't know WHY you summoned me, but sure, let's wreck this guy.

They summoned you there to fight invaders and that's the only field boss they left alive.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I love Godfrey with my build, I can just stand in front of him with my fingerprint shield and he can't touch me. Shabriris woe helps with your host not getting in the way.

When you say Godfrey, what color would you say best describes the form he appears in

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

All the Stamps are in a bad spot right now. Their objective is to make you poise and health tank using the first half of the move, where you gain alot of poise health and damage reduction. Except it's still not enough, bosses just hit far too hard for Stamp to be useful, you're better off rolling. And the second half of the move, the attack, comes out far too slow.

You're better off with things like Giant Hunt and Lion's Claw for these kinds of big weapon hit super attack ashes of war.

FYI Godfrey Axe isn't a Strength weapon, it's a Quality weapon. It is actually optimal with a mix of Strength and Dex.

Mohg is actually pretty tough to fight with Colossal Weapons (in fact that weapon class is kind of lacking overall, it's too slow to be truly viable). Colossal Swords like the Greatsword are much more viable and much easier to use. And Axe of Godfrey's weapon art is for styling on bad players and the pve, it's not top tier at all.

I had suspected it was quality.

Eh. I like the look of the crescent moon and longhaft axe better anyway.

Crescent moon especially.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

lite_sleepr posted:

I had suspected it was quality.

Eh. I like the look of the crescent moon and longhaft axe better anyway.

Crescent moon especially.

Longshaft axe looks really fun and great axes got a bit of a buff last patch, it's a really rare drop too, fate may be telling you to give it a whirl

Brick hammer is still perfectly fine, it gets the best strength scaling out of all great hammers and most weapons even, and you can mitigate the reach issue it has with any number of ashes of war. These games are the best ones around to be a big dumb caveman in.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Epic High Five posted:

Longshaft axe looks really fun and great axes got a bit of a buff last patch, it's a really rare drop too, fate may be telling you to give it a whirl

Brick hammer is still perfectly fine, it gets the best strength scaling out of all great hammers and most weapons even, and you can mitigate the reach issue it has with any number of ashes of war. These games are the best ones around to be a big dumb caveman in.

Ruins greatsword

What is the best stat/build planner out there?

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

When you say Godfrey, what color would you say best describes the form he appears in

I just realized which one you meant after posting, wrasslin' Godfrey will just powerslam me shield and all when I get up to him. Should be fun.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I just realized which one you meant after posting, wrasslin' Godfrey will just powerslam me shield and all when I get up to him. Should be fun.

Yeah he's basically designed to be a hard counter to shield poking lol

lite_sleepr posted:

Ruins greatsword

What is the best stat/build planner out there?

Oh yeah Ruins is good, since you're statted for it give the Starscourge swords a whirl, they're my favorite weapon in the game.

For build planning, I use https://eip.gg/elden-ring/build-planner/

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
I know what I am doing wrong with Placidusax but it was one of those nights where playing more made you not perform as well as you hoped.

I got this boss down to a tee and yet I keep making silly mistakes. I also see bloodlust when the boss has like 1/20th of a healthbar left so I need to stay calm and not see red during that part.

Nailing his Hellfire holy beams at Phase 3? Not an issue provided you have space. I at least got that down.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Alternatively use the long bubble horn from an oracle envoy and you can kill placiducks in a few seconds.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
I had no doubt going in that my sister would've loved this game. Now that I'm nearly 30 hours in, I'm a pretty big fan, too. That almost makes it harder - now all the time that I'm playing, I'm imagining talking to her about it. I know that she'd want me to summon her to help with all the bosses. Well, thinking of her helps me calm down when things get frustrating, at least.

So, picking up from last session, I headed out from the Revenger's shack. Found yet another abandoned little chapel, with some four-armed robot guys patrolling the grounds. Three of them stabbed me with twelve spears at once, and pretty much wrecked me. So I swung back that way, gave them a bit of distance, and found a minor Erdtree for my troubles. I've cleared two of those in the past, so I've got the routine down now. Drop a jellyfish to draw some aggro, then gallop around and play polo with my hammer. I got another set of tears, which prompted me to finally look into what those do. So now I have a healing potion that also shields me a little!

From there, I found another one of those weird statues that are holding rings, but this one I could actually interact with. It pointed me to a passage in a cliff face, which granted I was planning on heading through next anyway, but thanks, statue! I'm glad to learn what you guys do!

That passage lead to a tiny little dungeon with some of those stony gremlin things. I've been killing them since day one, so not much of a challenge at this point. And this cave actually didn't have a boss, which I think is the first time I've had that happen. What it DID have was my first secret door! I'm particularly pleased about finding it, since the server was down for maintanace at the time, so I didn't have anyone leaving notes telling me it was there. Just swung my hammer at a suspicious wall and got lucky, and got some spirit ashes out of it.

Then I figured it was time to go put the key to use and head to the Academy. The initial walkup was not bad; just taking it slow, luring enemies out where I could, and bringing the hammer down. That lasted until I ran into a tall grey guy with a bastard sword and what turned out to be gravity powers, as he cast a spell that pulled me forward and allowed him to impale me with one attack. After that, I didn't feel like slogging through the slow-moving zombie guys, and so figured out that I could run up to him if I took a slight detour off a bridge to take down two automaton archers along the way. In the rematch, I kept a big pillar between us unless I was attacking, which cut down on the usefulness of his gravity spells, and I was able to take him down.

Some big moving platforms could take me up or down. I went up first, where I found a site of grace, so I decided to go check out down. A bit of platforming took me to a deep cave, with lots of loot and a scary-looking war machine. I just snuck around the machine and managed to not aggro it while grabbing up the goodies. Back up, and it was only a few more zombies before I reached the Academy proper. Whoever mentioned a few pages back that it looks like Hogwarts was spot on.

I made good progress through the Academy. I guess the mages here wanted to replace their heads with stone, and my giant stone hammer was just what they needed. Then I had to cross some mist, and ran into Red Wolf of Radagon. It took good damage from my first few hammer hits, to the point where I was thinking that this would be the first boss that I could kill on the first try. But I wasn't taking into account how mobile the drat thing was. The Wolf was fast, and my hammer was slow. The Wolf had magic attacks that my shield couldn't fully block. On subsequent attempts, it got to the point where I was trading one hit from my hammer for one use of a healing potion. I was going nowhere, but then I remembered what Epic High Five had said - my stone hammer was good, but had terrible range. And I'd picked up a +8 halberd from the NPC invader last night, so that should solve the reach issue. It took me a few tries to get back to the Wolf as I got used to the new weapon, but drat if it wasn't a great choice for the Wolf. I put that dog down with hardly any trouble... and completely missed that it left a site of grace behind.

From there, I had a big open courtyard with another scary war machine to avoid and lots of paths to check. Some rooftop running got me to a balcony where I could drop a ladder down to the entry area, and thankfully hit a site of grace. Then back up to the balcony, where a long narrow hallway that had an enemy wielding a gatling fire crossbow became my bane for a while. Bastard also had a rapier for when I lured him close, he was agile, and could pull out that crossbow and fire before my hammer could land. It was at this point where I went to the halberd permanently, and it again did the job. Crossbow guy was just guarding a wizard weapon, which is probably cool, but no help to me.

More exploring lead to a fun curved ramp that a giant metal ball kept rolling down. Behind that was another one of those portal stones, which took me to the turtle pope! Plenty of lore, but I'm trying to go to school here, turtle pope. Back to the Academy!

Also behind the Marble Madness tribute was an armored guy with a spooky red name, Moongrum. He killed me in one hit from full health, so I decided to search elsewhere. But eventually I had exhausted every inch of the place, even wrecking the pendulum-bladed war machine in the courtyard. Time to see if I could run past Moongrum. And I could! There was a lift behind him that I was able to activate, but, crap, he got onto it with me! I quickly jumped off as it kept going up with him, thinking I could at least check to see if there was a hidden area underneath it. But then Moongrum jumped down right in front of me. Between me and the pit the lift had left. Two quick taps to his shield, and he fell to his death. Nothing else between me and the head of the Academy, Rennala, Queen of the Full Moon.

This was a Nier-rear end fight, between the lullaby, the creepy crawling kids, and the bullet hell attacks. But even on my first try, I was able to smash Rennala's shield and take her out, which was a clear sign that the fight wasn't over. And in another case of 'come on, I know it's a cutscene, but just stab the boss!', we entered phase two, wherein I get wrecked by a kamehameha. After some experimentation through various attempts with the halberd and the hammer, I realized that my shield wasn't doing me a drat bit of good in fights against nothing but magic, so I learned how to two-hand the halberd. And, once again, switching weapon tactics made all the difference. I suddenly did enough damage to one-shot the creepy kids, rather than needing two, which let me make it to the second phase without having to use a potion. And for the first time, I made it to the part of the fight where Rennala goes all Pokémon trainer and summons ghosts of her own. Luckily, I had enough stamina to evade and avoid, and defeated Rennala on my first attempt with the two-handed halberd!

Only one level today, since I lost a ton of runes due to double-deaths, so I think maybe tomorrow will be exploration and grinding. Just a few more strength points and I can wield the fancy greatsword I picked up somewhere.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/6rAQPSf.mp4

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Oh yeah. When you two hand a weapon your STR stat is effectively +50%. You can use this with strength based scaling to squeeze out extra damage, as well as meet the requirements of weapons you don't have enough strength for.

So with 20 strength you can use a weapon that requires 30 as long as you two hand it.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Dang trying to queue for arena with a friend feels horrible. Matching passwords and SL/weapons and having it simply not notice you're in the shared queue so it'll never launch half the time, yeesh.

Luckily me and my pal just started hosting in Lyndell and popping a tongue. Fun as hell, gave as good as we got at times, finally got to test out the dozens of weapons I bumped to 24/9 before I beat the game. Even ended the night with a pair of good and honest pre-duel flask chuggers who paired off evenly with each of us.

So long as we're mindful of which characters have which bosses still up we can dictate where we host and fight, loads of fun possible. I'm so glad we found an alternative to the DS3 turf war covenants that From didn't continue, I was feeling for awhile that we couldn't play together(for pvp) too reliably or that my only option was solo invading. Which is fun and all but nothing but fighting uphill gets quite tiring. It's why I went hardcore into Aldrich Faithful in DS3, popped nonstop at SL60 and best odds of a fair-ish fight, especially if you didn't ambush the solo players during PvE.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Dunno if the drop rates have changed but I now have THREE envoy's long horns when I couldn't get a single one to drop all the way through NG++ (wasn't farming them). I even picked up one while being a sunbro in someone else's game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Video Nasty posted:

Dunno if the drop rates have changed but I now have THREE envoy's long horns when I couldn't get a single one to drop all the way through NG++ (wasn't farming them). I even picked up one while being a sunbro in someone else's game!

Maybe you just levelled Arcane enough to feel the benefits?